Buchnevich files for arbitration
Fish
Posted 2019-07-05 10:35 AM (#727202)
Subject: Buchnevich files for arbitration

Publisher

Rangers have three players who can file for arbitration before today's 5pm deadline.

Buchnevich has for certain, Trouba and Lettieri are the others.

The important point is that by filing for arbitration, Buchnevich has enabled the Rangers to activate another buyout window which would allow them to try and free up cap space this year, though there'll be a big hit next year, and there will be hits for twice as many years as remains on the contract.

They're already carrying $3.6M this year from the Girardi buyout, and another $1.1M for each of the next three years. They are also carrying $300K for this year and next as a result of Vancouver buying out Spooner's last year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mikey Red
Posted 2019-07-05 10:40 AM (#727203 - in reply to #727202)
Subject: Re: Buchnevich files for arbitration

Legend

Buyout window is key if they need it....We have a bunch of ELC kids and 25 million dollars coming off July 1 2020
Rranger
Posted 2019-07-05 11:01 AM (#727204 - in reply to #727203)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2019-07-05 9:40 AM

Buyout window is key if they need it....We have a bunch of ELC kids and 25 million dollars coming off July 1 2020

Thank you Pavels camp for triggering the buyout window, a well played use of the system by Gorton. I can not believe Gorton wants to trade a Namestnikov, Strome or Buchnevich to free up cap unless it's also a good hockey deal. Still hoping for a buyout of Shattenkirk first, Smith second.

Edited by Rranger 2019-07-05 11:04 AM
Mikey Red
Posted 2019-07-05 11:07 AM (#727205 - in reply to #727204)

Legend

Rranger - 2019-07-05 1:01 PM

Mikey Red - 2019-07-05 9:40 AM

Thank you Pavels camp for triggering the buyout window, a well played use of the system by Gorton. I can not believe Gorton wants to trade a Namestnikov, Strome or Buchnevich to free up cap unless it's also a good hockey deal. Still hoping for a buyout of Shattenkirk first, Smith second.
Mikey Red
Posted 2019-07-05 11:08 AM (#727206 - in reply to #727202)

Legend

Trouba has now filed also
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-07-05 12:47 PM (#727207 - in reply to #727202)

All-Star

You can't believe he would trade a Namestnikov because you know nothing about this farm system or team as usual. Where exactly do you think he will play this year asshat? Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Kappo, Howden, Kravtsov, Andersson, Chytil, Lemieux, Strome, Buchnevich and Fast. That is a 12 right there. So, you think the Rangers should keep a guy making 4 million to play on the 4th line? Or screw more talented players like Andersson, Lemieux, Kappo, Kravtsov, Chytil or Howden during a rebuild to play him? You still have the same, dumbass, loser mentality you had on the other board. You aren't willing to play kids and develop them. You always think the team can win it all. I can feel your pea brain talking yourself into thinking this team will be great this year.
Rranger
Posted 2019-07-05 1:32 PM (#727208 - in reply to #727207)

MVP

itsmcilrathtime - 2019-07-05 11:47 AM

You can't believe he would trade a Namestnikov because you know nothing about this farm system or team as usual. Where exactly do you think he will play this year asshat? Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Kappo, Howden, Kravtsov, Andersson, Chytil, Lemieux, Strome, Buchnevich and Fast. That is a 12 right there. So, you think the Rangers should keep a guy making 4 million to play on the 4th line? Or screw more talented players like Andersson, Lemieux, Kappo, Kravtsov, Chytil or Howden during a rebuild to play him? You still have the same, dumbass, loser mentality you had on the other board. You aren't willing to play kids and develop them. You always think the team can win it all. I can feel your pea brain talking yourself into thinking this team will be great this year.

You are entertaining Chuck. You must have been up all night thinking on this one. I think you forgot Gettinger, McIlrath, Gropp, Ronning, and others. As usual in your world no one has to make the team they just have to show up. Only a moron like you unsure of who and what he is would get rid of all the vets and hand spots to unproven kids. Now you better get back to the aisle spill on 4 before you get in trouble.

Edited by Rranger 2019-07-05 5:58 PM
Blue404
Posted 2019-07-05 7:25 PM (#727210 - in reply to #727202)

Legend

Ok Buch your number of years with the Rangers has lowered significantly.He has shown absolutely nothing so far that stands out in his career with the Rangers.I estimate that by 2021 he will be on the list to go if not improved by 2020 and significantly so if may I add.
Quinn
Posted 2019-07-06 7:09 AM (#727212 - in reply to #727202)

Rookie

If you can find a way to keep Buch and Kreider, that would be great. It might not be easy though. If you could you have some forward depth.

Kakko, Panarin, Buch, and Kreider are your top 4 wingers. Zib and Chytil or Strome are your top two C's. Your 3rd line is Howden, Kravtsov, and Chytil or Strome. Your 4th line is Andersson, Fast, and Lemieux. That is real good depth of scoring I think.

Panarin/Zib/Kakko
Kreider/Chytil or Strome/Buch
Kravtsov/Howden/Chytil or Strome
Lemieux/Andersson/Fast

I like those lines. I also kind of feel Names has to go due to the cap. I don't see a fiscally smart way to keep Kreider and Names. I think one has to go for sure. If the Rangers can work a way to keep Kreider, and somehow convince him to stay in the 6.5 or so per season AAV range, that would be ideal. If he wants 7 + I have to deal him I think.

On D I go:

Skjei/Trouba
Staal/Fox
Hajek/DeAngelo
Shattenkirk you have to figure is gone?

I like the team. I think we need another year of growing, getting closer to the end of the deals for Staal, Smith, Shattenkirk, and Hank, and having kids like Milller come on board, before we are a legit top end contender. I do think we will be a WC contender this year though with that lineup. We may sneak in and get some playoff experience, but we'll need another year before we are back in the mix for potential deep runs.

Mikey Red
Posted 2019-07-06 7:18 AM (#727213 - in reply to #727202)

Legend

You can't have Fox over ADA yet
Rranger
Posted 2019-07-06 11:50 AM (#727214 - in reply to #727213)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2019-07-06 6:18 AM

You can't have Fox over ADA yet

Or Andersson and Chytil over anybody yet. Need a huge improvement out of both to even be on the roster this year.
sureshore
Posted 2019-07-08 8:19 AM (#727230 - in reply to #727212)

All-Star

Quinn - 2019-07-06 9:09 AM

On D I go:

Skjei/Trouba
Staal/Fox
Hajek/DeAngelo
Shattenkirk you have to figure is gone?

Time for Staal to ruin another young d-man? The cries for Shatty and Smith's heads leave me to laugh when Staal's name is not included in the same conversation.
Rranger
Posted 2019-07-08 9:56 AM (#727232 - in reply to #727202)

MVP

Well like it or not Staal was probably along with DeAngelo the most effective Ranger dmen last season. Certainly more so than Smith and Shattenkirk. I don't disagree he needs to move on, but unless a trade arises for him it's likely Shattenkirk and Smith are in Gorton's first available opportunity wheelhouse followed by Staal next summer.
Mikey Red
Posted 2019-07-08 10:26 AM (#727233 - in reply to #727202)

Legend

Life long good man solid Ranger Staal is Cinderellas ugly step sister compared to the goalie
robstones
Posted 2019-07-08 7:49 PM (#727249 - in reply to #727202)

Legend

Staal has never been as bad as people make him out to be. There have been way worse blueliners for the blueshirts... way worse....

Staal has been a good Ranger. Including last year....

His biggest problem is being a LD. Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov... they're all lefties who are knocking on the NHL's door... Next year you can add K'Andre to that list

So, unless your name is Skjei, you're not safe... and even then, he didn't have his best showing last year... not by a long shot.

I don't mind starting the season conservatively with

Skjei Trouba
Staal DeAngelo
Hajek Shattenkirk

With Rykov, Lindgren, and Fox all bouncing around as top pair in Hartford/7t man healthy scratch/giving a D who ends up in the dog house a rest/ filling in for injury

How fast management makes room for them in the starting lineup is up to them after that.

They need to prove they have the goods. But depth is important. I know the prediction is bold, but I feel really good about this team. They are going to be really exciting to watch. This will not be a .500 team. Quite frankly I think they'll easily have the success CBJ had last season

Panarin Zibanejad Kakko
Kreider Kravtsov Buchnevich
Chytil Howden Strome
Lemieux Andersson Fast

Tempted to switch Buch and Kakko to have The Special K line.... Chytil and Kravtsov can and will switch too.... Strome will probably get bumped up too as line juggline WILL happen, but... That's how I sees it. And it's exciting stuff!

The Namestnikov and Smith salary dumps should be more than enough to get everyone signed.

If Staal and/or Shatty come off the books after that, whatever assets we get in return... (Vesey's 3rd rounder.... Namestnikov should fetch at least that...) could then and should be used as part of a package to round out the roster come trade deadline (as buyers!).

Edited by robstones 2019-07-08 7:56 PM
Rranger
Posted 2019-07-10 9:16 AM (#727252 - in reply to #727202)

MVP

The simple solution to the cap issue is to get rid of Smith and Shattenkirk the two Rangers that give you the least bang for the buck. Having Shattenkirk at his salary playing third pair is just stupid. Smith playing along side him would be even dumber. Shattenkirk in particular is a mutt and a drag on the entire team, and has to go. With Hajek, Lindgren, Fox if he's ready and a cheap Claessan type signing and the Rangers are set to start the season. The key being the Claeasan type ready to step in as needed.
Let the forward scenario play out in camp before the Rangers make any more moves up front. Make sure kids are ready Andersson is getting a free pass on here to be on the team and he's basically done nothing to justify it. Better players are being added and will be slotting in the lineup above him. I'd be suprised if he even makes the team. See how far along Kravstov and Kakko are before you start dumping guys who might have to play ahead of them in the lineup. Fast's trade value exceeds his value to the team and he is blocking younger players. Chewy would probably trade half his Philly team to get his road trip roomate.
Trouba Staal
DeAngelo Hajek
Fox Lindgren Rykof UFA.

Panarin Zib Buchnevich
Kreider Strome Kakko
Chytil Namestnikov Kravstov
Lemieux Howden Andersson Nieves

Edited by Rranger 2019-07-10 6:06 PM
Fish
Posted 2019-07-11 7:39 AM (#727253 - in reply to #727202)

Publisher

Simple being a relative term...that’s a lot of dead cap space for the next four years
Rranger
Posted 2019-07-11 8:03 AM (#727255 - in reply to #727253)

MVP

Fish - 2019-07-11 6:39 AM

Simple being a relative term...that’s a lot of dead cap space for the next four years

Simple is the solution, trading them not so much, but that's what Gorton does. I'm not big on a 100% buyout for either, rather hoping Gorton can trade both, only eating part of their remaining cap. He's obviously hard at it trying to accpmplish the not so obvious and easy trade of Namestnikov, or it would have been done already at the draft. I don't think Quinn wants to lose Namestnikov who became a much better two way hockey player last season. It very well might come down to that once Gorton exhausts all other preferred avenues. But he obviously has other preferences.
concust
Posted 2019-07-11 8:25 AM (#727257 - in reply to #727202)

Legend

Personally I think they failed by not moving Kreider at the draft. It's easy for me to say that in hindsight, in a post-panarin summer, but I think just as Stepan was dealt with the offseason and future in mind, so should Kreider have been. Two weeks does not change the calculus of whether or not the franchise sees him in their long term plans. My guess is it was "no" then (reports of shopping him for the 16th overall) and it's still "no"... but now you're in a position where teams have much less flexibility to make a deal.

I'd be more for a Smith buyout than a Shattenkirk buyout, as I'm much less critical of his play than others on here. Smith on the other hand, can't crack a spot on defense and was a marginal fourth liner. When you're paying a fourth liner $4m+, then that's the logical starting point for a buyout. While Shattenkirk costs more, he's at least a legitimate NHL defenseman. I'd buyout Shattenkirk, look to trade Namestnikov and/or Strome, hold on Kreider until the deadline.

At the end of this year you should have a much better idea of which youngsters are actual NHLers at this point, and which need more time. Then you can decide on Shattenkirk and Staal, if they stay their last year or if they get bought out at that point, and you significantly minimize the impact of dead cap space, with an eye towards maximizing cap space in the years that you think our next "window" opens. If you buy these guys out this offseason, you may be shooting yourself in the foot in a couple of years when we need the space for actual contention. At this point we're not actually contenders, so it makes not sense to make unnecessary buyouts.
Rranger
Posted 2019-07-11 8:40 AM (#727258 - in reply to #727257)

MVP

concust - 2019-07-11 7:25 AM

Personally I think they failed by not moving Kreider at the draft. It's easy for me to say that in hindsight, in a post-panarin summer, but I think just as Stepan was dealt with the offseason and future in mind, so should Kreider have been. Two weeks does not change the calculus of whether or not the franchise sees him in their long term plans. My guess is it was "no" then (reports of shopping him for the 16th overall) and it's still "no"... but now you're in a position where teams have much less flexibility to make a deal.

I'd be more for a Smith buyout than a Shattenkirk buyout, as I'm much less critical of his play than others on here. Smith on the other hand, can't crack a spot on defense and was a marginal fourth liner. When you're paying a fourth liner $4m+, then that's the logical starting point for a buyout. While Shattenkirk costs more, he's at least a legitimate NHL defenseman. I'd buyout Shattenkirk, look to trade Namestnikov and/or Strome, hold on Kreider until the deadline.

At the end of this year you should have a much better idea of which youngsters are actual NHLers at this point, and which need more time. Then you can decide on Shattenkirk and Staal, if they stay their last year or if they get bought out at that point, and you significantly minimize the impact of dead cap space, with an eye towards maximizing cap space in the years that you think our next "window" opens. If you buy these guys out this offseason, you may be shooting yourself in the foot in a couple of years when we need the space for actual contention. At this point we're not actually contenders, so it makes not sense to make unnecessary buyouts.

I don't share the rush to move Kreider or Namestnikov until the young players establish themselves. I'd far rather see the defense overhauled. Plenty of time to move Kreider, and unless you include Georgiev with him your likely not getting a Stepan return anyways.
The Rangers already know and anyone who has watched Shattenkirk since he's gotten here realize he's usually the worst defenseman every night, his lack of effort is disgusting. . When you are making over a roster, you get rid of guys who are lazy and make stupid mental mistakes, and replace them with players that bust their ass and keep the dumb mistakes to a minimum. you will get better. Every player makes mistakes, some more than others and some dumber and lazier than others. Shattenkirk's skill is there to see the few times he kranks it up, which makes it even worse as he floats through game after game. He has to go, by hook or crook.

Edited by Rranger 2019-07-11 9:24 AM
concust
Posted 2019-07-12 10:32 AM (#727279 - in reply to #727202)

Legend

I think moving Kreider or Namestnikov or Strome, is the easiest way to alleviate the immediate cap crunch without incurring a cap crunch down the road - as a buyout of Shattenkirk or Staal would create. Buying out Shattenkirk this offseason solves one problem but creates another.
Rranger
Posted 2019-07-12 12:46 PM (#727282 - in reply to #727202)

MVP

Make a trade happen with Shattenkirk.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2019-07-12 5:46 PM (#727286 - in reply to #727202)

All-Star

I didn't know Gorton's part time job is a magician.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-07-12 7:27 PM (#727287 - in reply to #727249)

All-Star

robstones - 2019-07-08 7:49 PM

Staal has never been as bad as people make him out to be. There have been way worse blueliners for the blueshirts... way worse....

Staal has been a good Ranger. Including last year....

His biggest problem is being a LD. Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov... they're all lefties who are knocking on the NHL's door... Next year you can add K'Andre to that list

So, unless your name is Skjei, you're not safe... and even then, he didn't have his best showing last year... not by a long shot.

I don't mind starting the season conservatively with

Skjei Trouba
Staal DeAngelo
Hajek Shattenkirk

With Rykov, Lindgren, and Fox all bouncing around as top pair in Hartford/7t man healthy scratch/giving a D who ends up in the dog house a rest/ filling in for injury

How fast management makes room for them in the starting lineup is up to them after that.

They need to prove they have the goods. But depth is important. I know the prediction is bold, but I feel really good about this team. They are going to be really exciting to watch. This will not be a .500 team. Quite frankly I think they'll easily have the success CBJ had last season

Panarin Zibanejad Kakko
Kreider Kravtsov Buchnevich
Chytil Howden Strome
Lemieux Andersson Fast

Tempted to switch Buch and Kakko to have The Special K line.... Chytil and Kravtsov can and will switch too.... Strome will probably get bumped up too as line juggline WILL happen, but... That's how I sees it. And it's exciting stuff!

The Namestnikov and Smith salary dumps should be more than enough to get everyone signed.

If Staal and/or Shatty come off the books after that, whatever assets we get in return... (Vesey's 3rd rounder.... Namestnikov should fetch at least that...) could then and should be used as part of a package to round out the roster come trade deadline (as buyers!).

Very true. Our fan base is an embarrassment the way they talk about our defenseman. They make themselves look like dumb fuk Devils fans. They have always let the forwards off the hook and blame the d and goalies for everything. Been going on for years. Staal is solid. To me with 2 years on his contract, a contender should add him with some retained. Av's would be a perfect place. Their D blows.

Edited by itsmcilrathtime 2019-07-12 7:28 PM
Rranger
Posted 2019-07-13 7:09 AM (#727292 - in reply to #727286)

MVP

LeetchyMrRanger - 2019-07-12 4:46 PM

I didn't know Gorton's part time job is a magician.

If David Clarkson among others contracts can be traded Shattenkirks can.