Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

D-Day
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other -> The Junk YardMessage format

nyrleetch
Posted 2012-06-06 9:51 AM (#572973)
Subject: D-Day

MVP

68 years ago today was D-Day.

History has always been one my favorite things to look at. These heroes don't get thanked enough for everything they risked on this day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
trc3640
Posted 2012-06-06 12:12 PM (#572988 - in reply to #572973)
Subject: Re: D-Day

MVP

Have relatives that lived through it . Can't thank all of them enough
Coachrd
Posted 2012-06-06 1:20 PM (#572992 - in reply to #572973)

Legend

My mother in law's brother was killed in action during the 2nd day of fighting in the Battle of the Bulge. He was with the Airborne, and is buried at the US Cemetery in Belgium.

My father and uncles all fought in WWII, and, luckily, they all made it home unscathed.

Edited by Coachrd 2012-06-06 1:23 PM
Vic50
Posted 2012-06-06 3:23 PM (#573002 - in reply to #572973)
Subject: RE: D-Day

MVP

nyrleetch - 2012-06-06 11:51 AM

68 years ago today was D-Day.

History has always been one my favorite things to look at. These heroes don't get thanked enough for everything they risked on this day.

Agree with your thoughts about heroes
DaTeL
Posted 2012-06-08 4:58 AM (#573086 - in reply to #572973)

Legend

Little bit of OT but I hope you guys won't mind.

I'm not going to say that war per se is a good thing. It is not. And "when the rich wage war it's the poor who die"...

However, I have been lately thinking that the current generations (mine included!) are too soft for my liking. And one of the reasons, obviously not the only one, I came up with is that our generations never lived through an adversity, difficulty and material insufficiency like the war generations did.

I have to say that the idea of volunteering for a war is not something many people in my generations would even consider, let alone actually do.

I watched documents, movies and TV series like Band of Brothers and it was completely overwhelming. I will never understand all the ramifications of going to war. But from a certain perspective, that should be a good thing.

Kudos to all those who did what they did to fight for the freedom.
Mjolnir
Posted 2012-06-08 11:42 AM (#573129 - in reply to #573086)

Legend

I think a lot of that "softness" comes more from the technological advances over the past 30 years than anything. They don't have to face adversity because it is so easy to "hide". That being said, there is ONE thing about later generations that really bugs me.

I was never in the armed forces and I honestly do not know how what I would have done if I had been called up for Viet Nam. But the one thing I could never understand is the utter disrespect shown these brave men and women.
Vic50
Posted 2012-06-08 2:18 PM (#573141 - in reply to #573129)

MVP

I think one of the main reasons for general indifference to out military men and women, is that the forces serving in combat areas are a very small % of the population. Unlike past years, very few Americans have a relative, friend or neighbor in the military.. If they had some experience with some of the bad results of these wars, yhey might have a different view.

On a personal note, i did serve in Vietnam and I was drafted. I expect neither congrats nor disrespect, as I got through without any issues.

the treatment of current vets is disgraceful, with their high unemployment. These men & women went into combat for us and they are not being hired for civilian jobs after their service?

also, lets not call out the younger generation without mentioning the older generation. There were a whole bunch of people who favored the Vietnam war. yet used questionable deferments or got favorable treament to get into reserve units to avoid service in Vietnam.

Some of these men when on to go in political positions and had no qualms about sending young people into combat.

One of these was famous for getting into combat gear and shooting defenseless birds

If you say this is a political agenda, please feel free to present a retort to my statements.

Again, the important thing is to take care of vets who need help
Mjolnir
Posted 2012-06-08 2:27 PM (#573143 - in reply to #573141)

Legend

When I think back, I believe the Vietnam vets were the first to be "disrespected" across the board. I can't remember any of the stuff that happened to them happening to the vets of WWII or even Korea.

The main reason I didn't serve was because I was in the first "lottery" and got a high number. To be honest, I do not think I would have gone if "chosen".....however, I will always respect the people who put their lives on the line.
Vic50
Posted 2012-06-08 2:37 PM (#573144 - in reply to #573143)

MVP

Mjolnir - 2012-06-08 4:27 PM

When I think back, I believe the Vietnam vets were the first to be "disrespected" across the board. I can't remember any of the stuff that happened to them happening to the vets of WWII or even Korea.

The main reason I didn't serve was because I was in the first "lottery" and got a high number. To be honest, I do not think I would have gone if "chosen".....however, I will always respect the people who put their lives on the line.

As a Vietnam vet, I did not feel disrepected across the board. Of course I was against the war , before , during and after my time there. It made for some interesting conversations and confortations.

I do agree that a lot of people disrespected these vets on a "blanket basis"

I did not have any problem with those who opposed the war and did what they had to do, to avoid going.
Coachrd
Posted 2012-06-08 3:49 PM (#573151 - in reply to #573144)

Legend

Vic50 - 2012-06-08 4:37 PM

Mjolnir - 2012-06-08 4:27 PM

As a Vietnam vet, I did not feel disrepected across the board. Of course I was against the war , before , during and after my time there. It made for some interesting conversations and confortations.

I do agree that a lot of people disrespected these vets on a "blanket basis"

I did not have any problem with those who opposed the war and did what they had to do, to avoid going.

The troops returning today are given more of a welcome than the troops returning from Nam. They were unjustly villified as "Baby killers" etc, by the anti-war movement of the time.

The problems facing today's returning troops is the general malaise of the economy. Since today's army is a volunteer army, many went into service because there were no better alternatives at the time, and the service offered education, training, a career.

However, after deployments, many choose not to stay in as lifers, and return to an economy that might be worse today than when many of the service men and women enlisted. Since the economy here in the tri-state isn't as bad as many area of the country, we don't see what conditions the returning vets are facing.

I'll disagree that they're not being respected. They are shown far more respect than the troops of my generation ever were.

But they have far less opportunities today than the returning troops of WWII, Korea and Nam ever had. The post war economies then were booming with opportunities.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software