Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Leaders in Washington DC Are Crazy!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other -> The Junk YardMessage format

pack attack
Posted 2012-10-29 11:22 AM (#580829)
Subject: Leaders in Washington DC Are Crazy!

Administrator Emeritus

I quickly took this picture with my phone while stopped at a red light this past weekend.

At some pont in time 14th Street received an additional name "Ron Brown Way"

In April 1996 an Airforce jet carrying Secretary of Commerce Ron Brown and 34 others crashed while landing near Croatia's Dubrovnik Airport.

On January 13, 1982, the Boeing 737, Flight 90, crashed into the 14th Street Bridge over the Potomac River. The aircraft was carrying 74 passengers and five crewmembers. Four passengers and one flight attendant survived the crash. Four motorists from the bridge were killed.

The street post is about 1 mile away from where the people died.

Are you kidding me, you re-name a street after a guy who was killed in a plane crash, when the most significant historic thing ever to happen on that street was a deadly plane crash.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2012-10-31 1:41 PM (#580884 - in reply to #580829)
Subject: Re: Leaders in Washington DC Are Crazy!

Legend

I don't think the sight was named after just a "GUY" who died in a plane crash. Brown was born in the area, was the first African American Commerce secretary, died in service of the country, only a short stretch of the street is named on his behalf, his son is a member of the city council in the area which may have had a lot to do with the dedication...

The flight in 82 was tragic, and had recieved many dedications, including the portion of the repaired 14th street bridge being named after one of the passengers who kept on passing the rescue rope to other passangers, there's also a plaque on the entrance of the bridge that remembers the passangers who perished on that day... at least it was there in 92.

I would make a bet, that neither the survivors (of Fl 90), or family members of the dead would mind a block being named after honorable American like Ron Brown (if they knew his story) more than 1 mile away (on the opposite side of the mall even) from where the plane crashed 30 years ago.

This story caught my curiosty because I lived in that area in the early 90's for a short period of time and I still have family there. The only complaint on the whole internet I can find is from a White Power, Right Wing blog where they slightly mention this as a raciest thing... God forbid half a street is named after an African American man. Not that I'm saying these are your thoughts... I just find it odd, with the title of this thread, and all the Craziness coming out of DC... this was the topic.... specially in a town that is always dedicating something to/for someone.. on streets and parks where over the past 250 years something has happened.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/25/dc-renames-street-r...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/03/ron-br...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/ron-brown-and-michael...

Edited by Andy Bathgate 2012-10-31 4:09 PM
Vic50
Posted 2012-11-03 8:37 PM (#580934 - in reply to #580884)

MVP

Andy Bathgate - 2012-10-31 3:41 PM

I don't think the sight was named after just a "GUY" who died in a plane crash. Brown was born in the area, was the first African American Commerce secretary, died in service of the country, only a short stretch of the street is named on his behalf, his son is a member of the city council in the area which may have had a lot to do with the dedication...

The flight in 82 was tragic, and had recieved many dedications, including the portion of the repaired 14th street bridge being named after one of the passengers who kept on passing the rescue rope to other passangers, there's also a plaque on the entrance of the bridge that remembers the passangers who perished on that day... at least it was there in 92.

I would make a bet, that neither the survivors (of Fl 90), or family members of the dead would mind a block being named after honorable American like Ron Brown (if they knew his story) more than 1 mile away (on the opposite side of the mall even) from where the plane crashed 30 years ago.

This story caught my curiosty because I lived in that area in the early 90's for a short period of time and I still have family there. The only complaint on the whole internet I can find is from a White Power, Right Wing blog where they slightly mention this as a raciest thing... God forbid half a street is named after an African American man. Not that I'm saying these are your thoughts... I just find it odd, with the title of this thread, and all the Craziness coming out of DC... this was the topic.... specially in a town that is always dedicating something to/for someone.. on streets and parks where over the past 250 years something has happened.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/25/dc-renames-street-r...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/theoval/post/2011/03/ron-br...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/ron-brown-and-michael...

Excellent points. Ron Brown was a dedicate public figure. People having issues with a street named after him, are what you suggest
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2012-11-04 5:31 PM (#580949 - in reply to #580829)

Legend

Yeah.. for the life of me I can't figure out what the point of this was... again with all the craziness coming out of DC. These Street Name things only last for 6 months or so anyways... and the name is only on one street poll....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software