Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dylan McIlrath Clears Waivers - Assigned to Hartford
[Frozen]

Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Mandar
Posted 2016-10-28 11:02 AM (#664783 - in reply to #664749)
Subject: Re: Dylan McIlrath Waived

MVP

robstones - 2016-10-27 4:36 PM

I just can't believe they'really willing to lose him for nothing.... AV referred to him as the #8 defenseman.... but is he really THAT bad, that he couldn't give a guy a break who may need the day off? Holden NEEDS to play??? Or is this guy the new Tanner Glass?

Yes, he is really THAT bad.

So said the Rangers....so said the other 29 teams in this league. No one willing to even deal a low pick for the guy...no one even willing to get him for NOTHING.

Holden is a better player (not exactly raising the bar there)......and if they need to give someone a day off, Clendening is an obviously better option.

Bitch about AV on this all you want...but nothing is a secret in the NHL.....and every other team knows his "abilities" regardless of the playing time he had here...or in Hartford. And no one wanted him...no one. Pretty much an open and shut case.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mandar
Posted 2016-10-28 11:04 AM (#664784 - in reply to #664782)

MVP

concust - 2016-10-28 1:01 PM

Fish - 2016-10-28 11:50 AM

concust - 2016-10-28 9:44 AM

Yes but, they don't need the cap space unless there's a trade brewing. That was my implication. Sure they're doing him "a solid" by having him in Hartford playing, but that's not how the Rangers organization works or else they'd have had him in Hartford full time last year instead of playing only 34 NHL games and watching the rest from a press box. They wouldn't lose risking an asset just to do the kid a favor. By waiving him they are fully prepared to let him go. To do what? Save cap space they don't need? Must be a trade in the works. I don't see another explanation. Even if you mean accumulate cap space for the end of the year - he only makes 800k/year, that's not a huge amount to be accumulating and planning for the trade deadline. The season's only just started.

Anyway, I'm glad he cleared, hope he sticks with the organization because depth will be needed for the playoffs.

Not exactly. You realistically want to bank Cap Space if you're not using a guy, or don't intend to use him. Later in the year it gets you more flexibility when you have the space.

I addressed that - banking 800k is really not that much. Sure it builds up over the course of the year but worth risking losing an asset? Probably not. They could have easily done the same thing last year with multiple players that didn't play, but chose to keep them on the roster instead. The guy makes 150k more than league minimum. You're not really banking that much cap space.

Risk losing an asset? An asset?????? We must have different definitions of the word "asset". This is the classic case of addition by subtraction.
concust
Posted 2016-10-28 11:08 AM (#664785 - in reply to #664780)

Legend

x10003q - 2016-10-28 11:57 AM

I am happy he cleared, too. I thought he played ok 3rd pair minutes last year, but I only watch on TV with a live game or 2. The Rangers have 34 games of NHL video from every angle and so does the rest of the NHL and nobody bit. That should tell us something about McIlrath. He is not an NHL defenseman right now.

I don't disagree. He didn't have a good preseason, was not as good as he was last year. His role on this team with its "new" identity is very unclear. I think he could easily be an NHL depth defenseman at this point, but the problem is those guys are a dime a dozen right now, and teams are not willing to part with a contract spot for something that is so readily available. Sadly 2015-16 may have been McIlrath's best shot at being a full time NHL player.

Separately it shows you how well, and how high management is on Skjei. There was no discussion or rumor about him being sent down even though he's waiver exempt.
concust
Posted 2016-10-28 11:12 AM (#664786 - in reply to #664784)

Legend

Mandar - 2016-10-28 12:04 PM

concust - 2016-10-28 1:01 PM

Fish - 2016-10-28 11:50 AM

concust - 2016-10-28 9:44 AM

Yes but, they don't need the cap space unless there's a trade brewing. That was my implication. Sure they're doing him "a solid" by having him in Hartford playing, but that's not how the Rangers organization works or else they'd have had him in Hartford full time last year instead of playing only 34 NHL games and watching the rest from a press box. They wouldn't lose risking an asset just to do the kid a favor. By waiving him they are fully prepared to let him go. To do what? Save cap space they don't need? Must be a trade in the works. I don't see another explanation. Even if you mean accumulate cap space for the end of the year - he only makes 800k/year, that's not a huge amount to be accumulating and planning for the trade deadline. The season's only just started.

Anyway, I'm glad he cleared, hope he sticks with the organization because depth will be needed for the playoffs.

Not exactly. You realistically want to bank Cap Space if you're not using a guy, or don't intend to use him. Later in the year it gets you more flexibility when you have the space.

I addressed that - banking 800k is really not that much. Sure it builds up over the course of the year but worth risking losing an asset? Probably not. They could have easily done the same thing last year with multiple players that didn't play, but chose to keep them on the roster instead. The guy makes 150k more than league minimum. You're not really banking that much cap space.

Risk losing an asset? An asset?????? We must have different definitions of the word "asset". This is the classic case of addition by subtraction.

I'm surprised we were not able to get a 4th round pick out of the guy. It's possible that at this point he really is worth nothing to opposing GM's.

RANGERNUT
Posted 2016-10-28 11:15 AM (#664787 - in reply to #664740)
Subject: Re: Dylan McIlrath Clears Waivers - Assigned to Hartford

All-Star

Adam Rotter: There is a lot to take in with the news that McIlrath has cleared waivers. For one, since no one wanted to claim him and take him for free there can't be much of a trade market, if any, for his services right now.

Ultimately the Rangers sent McIlrath to Hartford to play but for two different reasons. As a young player who has some NHL experience, McIlrath needed to play and gets his confidence back since there is always the chance he may end up playing a role with the Rangers later on in the season. He also needs to play and get his confidence back so that a team may have interest in acquiring him and bringing him back to the NHL.

Unless injuries bring McIlrath up and he plays a significant role, it seems likely that he will be gone in some way, shape or form by the trade deadline. He can become a UFA at seasons end if he plays in fewer than 42 games and a team that is out of it may be willing to trade a a lowish pick/conditional pick to give him a test run and see if there is a fit.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2016-10-28 12:21 PM (#664791 - in reply to #664740)

All-Star

What does this say, pretty much all we need to know. There are 29 teams looking for d-men & not 1 is willing to pay $800K. That's all we need to know.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2016-10-28 12:22 PM (#664793 - in reply to #664740)

All-Star

I believe it was a mid rnd pick for Nail Y. How are the Rangers going to get 4th? Come on, not even 1 team willing to pay $800K to pick him up.
robstones
Posted 2016-10-28 3:21 PM (#664796 - in reply to #664791)

Legend

LeetchyMrRanger - 2016-10-28 2:21 PM

What does this say, pretty much all we need to know. There are 29 teams looking for d-men & not 1 is willing to pay $800K. That's all we need to know.

Or it tells us that they agree with AV when he says that he needs to play. We'll see what happens when he comes to Hartford, and is their best defenseman.
Mandar
Posted 2016-10-28 3:45 PM (#664798 - in reply to #664796)

MVP

robstones - 2016-10-28 5:21 PM

Or it tells us that they agree with AV when he says that he needs to play. We'll see what happens when he comes to Hartford, and is their best defenseman.

Well, you are consistent.....consistently wrong.

Seriously? You actually can't admit what is blatantly obvious.

Also - No shot he is the best defenseman in Hartford with Graves and Gilmore there.
PV29
Posted 2016-10-29 7:17 AM (#664825 - in reply to #664740)

I guess in my mind it's about need or "fit" based on the players on defense. The Rangers need some element of physical play on defense and that's what McIlrath provides. Most other teams in the league don't have as glaring of a need as the Rangers. If the Rangers have another option in the works to address this (doubt it, AV doesn't see a need to do so) then fine. We'll see.

Looking forward to Holden being the new Malik around here this season.
Av-merican
Posted 2016-10-29 12:28 PM (#664828 - in reply to #664740)

All-Star

Probably better to risk losing him for nothing than trade him for barely more than nothing. Hopefully they can salvage something from the situation but I think it's safe to say he won't be much more than a fringe NHL depth guy at this point.

Looking back, that 2010 draft just wasn't that flush with quality D-men. Even Fowler has not been exactly stellar, and the highest d-man taken (Gudbranson) is little more than a third pairing guy, and not even playing for the team that drafted him.
x10003q
Posted 2016-10-29 12:58 PM (#664829 - in reply to #664825)

MVP

PV29 - 2016-10-29 9:17 AM

I guess in my mind it's about need or "fit" based on the players on defense. The Rangers need some element of physical play on defense and that's what McIlrath provides. Most other teams in the league don't have as glaring of a need as the Rangers. If the Rangers have another option in the works to address this (doubt it, AV doesn't see a need to do so) then fine. We'll see.

Looking forward to Holden being the new Malik around here this season.

Holden is a better skater than malik ever was, at $1.65million he is cheap for a 2nd pair d-man, if he really sucks he will be off to Las Vegas. The other option is Graves.
PV29
Posted 2016-10-29 4:56 PM (#664832 - in reply to #664829)

x10003q - 2016-10-29 2:58 PM

Holden is a better skater than malik ever was, at $1.65million he is cheap for a 2nd pair d-man, if he really sucks he will be off to Las Vegas. The other option is Graves.

He'll be shipped off to Vegas when? Next season? That's way too late. He'll have done his damage by then. Holden's skating doesn't concern me. His turnovers and reluctance to hit people does.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2016-10-30 7:14 PM (#664850 - in reply to #664798)

All-Star

Mandar - 2016-10-28 3:45 PM

robstones - 2016-10-28 5:21 PM

Well, you are consistent.....consistently wrong.

Seriously? You actually can't admit what is blatantly obvious.

Also - No shot he is the best defenseman in Hartford with Graves and Gilmore there.

Yeah, are we gonna sit here & pretend that we know better than 30 NHL GMs, they are all clueless & some of us here posting know better? No, come on...
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-04 2:10 PM (#666193 - in reply to #664740)

All-Star

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/01/04/panthers-send-mcilrath-to-minor...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [35 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software