Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lundqvist.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 2 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-18 6:16 AM (#666520 - in reply to #665803)
Subject: Re: Lundqvist.

All-Star

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/8a7c6856-2e4f-3a24-943c-e1edc6febe1a/ss...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
concust
Posted 2017-01-18 7:31 AM (#666521 - in reply to #665803)

Legend

It's the first goalie controversy in New York! Since the last goalie controversy!

2015: http://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-have-goalie-controversy/
2013: http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/12/2/5166384/new-york-rangers-goal...

etc

robstones
Posted 2017-01-18 7:49 AM (#666524 - in reply to #665803)

Legend

What really bothers me is how the crowd is treating Lundqvist. This guy is without a doubt the best thing since Ritcher. Had we won The Cup in 2012 or any time in Lundqvist's 11 years here...... 11 years here!!!..... We would be calling him hands down the best goalie in franchise history. He may be that anyway.....

Does he need to be better for us to win this year? Yes.... But if his problem is his confidence and focus, then WHY would you boo him or get on his case at a home game!?!?!?.

That said, we can't dismiss that the team in front of him needs to be better, too. There's no excuse for the blown coverage, and mental mistakes. There just isn't. The team only let up 3 shots against in the 3rd period... or something like that.... Lundqvist faced over 15 shots in the 1st. High quality shots. Not just writers from the outside.... 2 on 1's..... feeds out in front.

The only one I can really blame on Hank last night is the wrap around, but even that, The Rangers need to take the body, and play the man.

When Rick Nash is your most physical player, there's a problem.

3 losses in a row, this team needs to get angry. Their compete level, and intensity needs to be up. I don't want to hear "they're not built for it." They don't need to be intimidating to anyone. They don't have to drop the gloves every game, or even be the biggest team..... Zuccarello hits people, and it's effective enough at his size. They just need to get in the other team's face.

They did that in the 3rd. They played with intensity, and didn't give Dallas room. When they play their game, they're really good.

That said, Jacob Trouba should be the target, in my opinion. He adds that size, shut down ability, top pair, puck mover that we need. And I'd give up Brady Skjei if I had to in order to get it done.

Edited by robstones 2017-01-18 7:51 AM
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-18 8:55 AM (#666526 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

You are right, & Dave Maloney was upset about it. He said this is your best player for 11+ years, how quickly they forget. But, it comes with the territory. Simms, Ewing, Mattingly, Eli, Messier, & many others, even Jeter were booed, even Jeter. When Jeter is booed, there is no one that can be immuned to it.
PV29
Posted 2017-01-18 10:19 AM (#666527 - in reply to #665803)

Legend

The fans at the old MSG threw garbage at Giacomin one night. BUT, that was very early in his career. When he was waived and claimed by Detroit the fans rooted for the Red Wings on his return to the Garden.

The idiots who gave Henrik the razzing last night are not representative of the majority of fans who know what Henrik has meant to the franchise for over a decade. They're venting in the wrong direction.

Henrik clearly has a confidence problem, and his teammates are not helping the situation with the way they're supporting ..... eh .... NOT supporting him now. I believe it's a slump more than a "decline" that he's in. Get a real defense in front of him and this will be forgotten quickly.

Oh, and fire AV.
PV29
Posted 2017-01-18 10:23 AM (#666528 - in reply to #666524)

Legend

robstones - 2017-01-18 9:49 AM

That said, Jacob Trouba should be the target, in my opinion. He adds that size, shut down ability, top pair, puck mover that we need. And I'd give up Brady Skjei if I had to in order to get it done.

Jesper Fast is the best two-way forward since Doug Gilmour. Just ask AV, Sam and Joe. Surely any GM in the league would trade a stud defenseman straight up for the Jesper.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-01-18 10:39 AM (#666531 - in reply to #666528)

Legend

PV29 - 2017-01-18 12:23 PM

Jesper Fast is the best two-way forward since Happy Gilmore Just ask AV, Sam and Joe. Surely any GM in the league would trade a stud defenseman straight up for the Jesper.

Duly corrected!!
PV29
Posted 2017-01-18 12:18 PM (#666532 - in reply to #665803)

Legend

Lol!!! Has a big shot, could help the power play.
Rranger
Posted 2017-01-18 1:29 PM (#666534 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

This is on one guy and it's not Lundqvist. I will give you three guesses. This is basically a replay of last season. Strong start with a revolving door on lines and defensive pairs with little rhyme or reason. Same M.O. As last season. Pathetic dzone coverage. Surprisingly decent back pressure but piss poor recognition of who to cover. Just look at the goal when Eakin passed the Puck through three Rangers to a wide open (not sure think it was Benn) player who 5 holed Lundqvist. I don't know who the dope closest to Benn was but it was on him for not picking him up. Hockey is a simple game, when the other team has the puck think NFL defensive back, grab a guy and prevent the pass. The Rangers can't even do that. I've never seen a team worry more about the puck and less about wide open offensive players than them.
This coach is taking the team down the same road. The road of zero defensive structure. It's a carbon copy of last season and it's going to end with a quick playoff exit or worse a playoff skunk. If a coach doesn't demand and enforce strict compliance to certain basic responsibilities, players will cheat to the lazy side and you have gong shows like last night. I didn't want this useless coach when they hired him and still don't. I watched this same shi t show in Vancouver. He's just going to waste good years of a good group of players. This is not just on Lundqvist or the defensemen it's a total lack of team effort and intensity. It's all on him it's his responsibility to get his message across and followed, and get the best out of his players.. So spare me it's on the players, it is to a point but it's on coach to get the most out of his players.
Has the team done well with Vigneault ya a cup final, then a embarrassing 7 th game fold to Tampa. And then mediocrity. Perhaps a different coach would have done better. It's a f'n shame all the blame is on Lundqvist and the dcore instead of on the guy who's responsible for them.

Edited by Rranger 2017-01-18 1:32 PM
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-01-18 1:45 PM (#666535 - in reply to #665803)

MVP

You play like **** you get booed...If he was the King...we would of won the cup in 2014...and that contract...oh my
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-18 2:04 PM (#666536 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

The hard time given to Hank in MSG has taken a life of its own on the radio airwaves.
concust
Posted 2017-01-18 2:33 PM (#666537 - in reply to #665803)

Legend

I'm no AV apologist and could not care less if he's fired (don't think he will be) but I also don't think this is all his fault. I place more blame for this season on the structure we were left with, by Sather, and also Gorton's inability to address those deficiencies (part of it is not his fault). I don't think Capuano or Beukeboom or Mike Sullivan or Babcock would have much more luck with the defensive group we are currently saddled with. Because of that, I point to more of a personnel problem than a coaching problem.

Is coaching part of it? Absolutely. I don't like that Girardi still gets played as a #2 defensemen most nights, I don't like that Klein is not benched or rested when he clearly needs it. Same with Staal. Rangers have always done a good job acquiring 6/7/8 defensemen and a piss poor job of implementing them. So yes, there are definitely lineup and implementation issues that are deficient. Do the Rangers win the metro if Girardi gets fewer minutes? Hardly. Do the Rangers win the metro if Sather hadn't saddled us with that NMC? Maybe.

robstones
Posted 2017-01-18 2:37 PM (#666538 - in reply to #665803)

Legend

Well it's insane. Gorton better do something about the defense. It IS a personnel issue. McDonagh is great, Holden has been good, Klein is OK, but not up to par, Girardi still has some game left in him.... he does.. but his mistakes are glaring and often. Same to be said about Staal. Skjei is mostly good, but he takes bad penalties too often.... rookie mistakes.

Point is, after Holden, the talent and consistency is pretty stale. I forgot to mention Clendenning because he's nothing special either.
concust
Posted 2017-01-18 3:16 PM (#666539 - in reply to #666538)

Legend

robstones - 2017-01-18 3:37 PM

Well it's insane. Gorton better do something about the defense. It IS a personnel issue. McDonagh is great, Holden has been good, Klein is OK, but not up to par, Girardi still has some game left in him.... he does.. but his mistakes are glaring and often. Same to be said about Staal. Skjei is mostly good, but he takes bad penalties too often.... rookie mistakes.

Point is, after Holden, the talent and consistency is pretty stale. I forgot to mention Clendenning because he's nothing special either.

Adding Clendening and Holden over the offseason was basically the best that Gorton could have done, based on existing contracts/NMCs. If Girardi/Staal/Klein were doing ok then the defense would be a home run. But at this point you're asking Holden to basically be a top 4 defender and while he could probably fill in in that role, he's not a consistent top 4 defender, not on a contender anyway. Same with Clendening, I think he's played well in his limited appearances but he's not a core guy. Problem is our core is aging, expensive, and has NMCs, which is only made worse by having to protect them in the expansion draft.

I've come to the conclusion that this offseason they've basically got two choices, buy out Girardi or trade Skjei. Buying out Girardi would hurt against the cap but it's manageable after this season. Would give the team a lot more flexibility on defense, especially if they want guys like Graves to come in and get some experience. Alternatively you trade Skjei, for a better, young, RHD and put off the Girardi buyout another year or two. Neither solution is ideal but with the contracts we currently have it's not like there's a ton of options.

PV29
Posted 2017-01-18 6:54 PM (#666541 - in reply to #665803)

Legend

I have a different take. This is all on AV, and to some extent, Gorton. They overloaded the defense with non-physical finesse types who they believed would be able to defend effectively by simply moving the puck out of the zone quickly. It's an AV wet dream, and it's also delusional. It's never worked at the NHL level, even in this so-called modern game of speed and puck movement, and it never will.

If you keep three of the current group (McDonagh, Skjei and Holden) and pair them with stay at home bangers, they would be much improved. AV doesn't want that, he stubbornly wants his wet dream to succeed, and Gorton is allowing it.

To compound matters, they've also not gotten any physical presence up front despite a wealth of talented big forward types, like Nash, Kreider, Miller, Zib, Buch, Hayes, and Vesey. None of those guys can be intimidated, but occasionally you need someone to kick some ass (see last game vs. Dallas) and you don't want any of those guys doing that stuff regularly. The fourth line is a collection of scraps that can't play on the first three lines rather than a fourth line with a purpose: to hit, crash and answer the call when the other team challenges your team.AV doesn't want a crash line and Gorton doesn't do anything to change this.

Colorado dumped McLeod for an AHL player last week. If any team could've used a cheap pick up to add much needed 4th line toughness it's the ****ing Rangers. As long as AV is coach the Rangers will never dress a guy like that.
concust
Posted 2017-01-19 7:36 AM (#666547 - in reply to #666541)

Legend

PV29 - 2017-01-18 7:54 PM

I have a different take. This is all on AV, and to some extent, Gorton. They overloaded the defense with non-physical finesse types who they believed would be able to defend effectively by simply moving the puck out of the zone quickly. It's an AV wet dream, and it's also delusional. It's never worked at the NHL level, even in this so-called modern game of speed and puck movement, and it never will.

If you keep three of the current group (McDonagh, Skjei and Holden) and pair them with stay at home bangers, they would be much improved. AV doesn't want that, he stubbornly wants his wet dream to succeed, and Gorton is allowing it.

Ok, so you think that it's AV's influence and desire to have speed and puck movement, that precipitates Gorton's inability to get stay at home banger types. I'm sure that plays a part, but it's easy to say on paper "keep three of the current group and pair them with bangers" but, that means shedding Staal, Klein, Girardi, two of whom have NMC and the last is the bargain of the group, in the same offseason, and replacing them with whatever is available? You're not getting any top-4 defensemen out of a trade, and the UFA market (which I am not saying we should have explored) was weak anyway.

In short, Gorton's hands were tied, by Sather. He doesn't have the assets or the contract flexibility to acquire anything on defense because of the state Sather left it in.

robstones
Posted 2017-01-19 8:53 AM (#666550 - in reply to #665803)

Legend

There isn't a surplus of big banger defenders in the NHL. Period. To say that Gorton is at fault for not having one, is silly..... But it's exactly why they should target Trouba or blueseatblogs suggests Michael Stone from Arizona..... but Trouba is what we need, a legit top pair guy with an all around game, and size

Edited by robstones 2017-01-19 8:54 AM
PV29
Posted 2017-01-19 10:23 AM (#666551 - in reply to #666550)

Legend

concust - 2017-01-19 9:36 AM
Ok, so you think that it's AV's influence and desire to have speed and puck movement, that precipitates Gorton's inability to get stay at home banger types. I'm sure that plays a part, but it's easy to say on paper "keep three of the current group and pair them with bangers" but, that means shedding Staal, Klein, Girardi, two of whom have NMC and the last is the bargain of the group, in the same offseason, and replacing them with whatever is available? You're not getting any top-4 defensemen out of a trade, and the UFA market (which I am not saying we should have explored) was weak anyway.

In short, Gorton's hands were tied, by Sather. He doesn't have the assets or the contract flexibility to acquire anything on defense because of the state Sather left it in.

robstones - 2017-01-19 10:53 AM

There isn't a surplus of big banger defenders in the NHL. Period. To say that Gorton is at fault for not having one, is silly..... But it's exactly why they should target Trouba or blueseatblogs suggests Michael Stone from Arizona..... but Trouba is what we need, a legit top pair guy with an all around game, and size

Well, obviously the situation is untenable and a disaster NOW. But it was festering and developing for the past two seasons, with nothing being done to address what still plagues the team now. This team has needed physical DEFENSEmen since AV took over, and neither he nor Sather/Gorton did anything to fix this. If anything, the y made things worse with the stupid contracts and dumb acquisitions. Yandle? Boyle?

Point is, neither AV nor Gorton can escape blame just because there appears to be nothing that can be done to fix things now. They built this mess by being shortsighted and delusional. They misjudged how the league would evolve. They went all in with their speed/finesse/puck movement philosophy thinking that it was the formula to succeed in the NHL. They overlooked what successful teams were doing by adding physical and tough players to give their team balance. Their errors in judgment and misguided plans have resulted in a seriously flawed team. Which is a shame because the talent they've amassed up front on the top 3 lines is very good.
PV29
Posted 2017-01-19 10:25 AM (#666552 - in reply to #665803)

Legend

Oh, and I almost forgot.

#FireAV

https://twitter.com/hashtag/fireav
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-19 11:23 AM (#666554 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

There are 30 teams looking for D-men like those, make that 31 now.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2017-01-19 11:25 AM
PV29
Posted 2017-01-19 11:36 AM (#666555 - in reply to #666554)

Legend

LeetchyMrRanger - 2017-01-19 1:23 PM

There are 30 teams looking for D-men like those, make that 31 now.

And quite a number of them actually succeed in getting them. But not the Rangers.
CommonSense
Posted 2017-01-19 11:49 AM (#666556 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

Finally some people starting to come to their senses. Been saying it for years.

Edited by CommonSense 2017-01-19 11:50 AM
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-19 1:38 PM (#666557 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

How many of those that are on that level not drafted in Top 10? I'm sure some, but how many?
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-19 1:41 PM (#666558 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

Pens, Pens, Pens. Hawks, Hawks, Haws. Etc... Now, people are Oilers Oilers Oilers. Really?!? Do we have to hear about Oilers, really, drafting in the Top 10 for over 20 years. Make Belives? Who is next, Buffalo?
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-19 1:56 PM (#666560 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

Doughty #2 overall. Suter, 7th overall. Karlsson, #15. Pronger #2. Niedermier. Johnson, #1. Asner #5. Seabrook, #14. Hedman #2. Hamilton #9. Larsson? Ristolainen? Jones? McDonagh? Whatever, some of the bat.
PV29
Posted 2017-01-19 2:15 PM (#666561 - in reply to #666557)

Legend

LeetchyMrRanger - 2017-01-19 3:38 PM

How many of those that are on that level not drafted in Top 10? I'm sure some, but how many?

Byfuglien - 245th pick

Manson - 160th pick

Borowiecki - 139th pick

Engelland - 194th pick

McQuaid - 55th pick

Manning - undrafted

Severson - 60th pick

Gryba - 68th pick

Dillon - undrafted

The list can go on and on. They're out there. You have to WANT to get this kind of defensemen. The Rangers haven't wanted them since Colin Campbell was here.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-19 4:00 PM (#666565 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

Yeah, look, like I said there is also Lidstrom. Staal was a really good player for a long time & he was if I remember Top 15 pick. Let's face it, this is a playoff team since '04 except for 1 year missing it in a shootout. It is really rolling the dice after Top 10 may be Top 15, after that, the draft is rolling the dice, gambling. The Rangers actually have drafted well the last few years. When you are Oilers, Panthers, Sabres, Leafs, etc... those players drop into your hands. When you are a playoff team going on now 10+ years, it is not easy to find those players, game changers. A Crosby, a Malik, a Ovie, a Kane, a Toews, a JT, McDavid, don't exactly fall into your hands.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2017-01-19 4:07 PM
Mcphee
Posted 2017-01-19 4:16 PM (#666567 - in reply to #666565)

Rookie

LeetchyMrRanger - 2017-01-19 6:00 PM

Yeah, look, like I said there is also Lidstrom. Staal was a really good player for a long time & he was if I remember Top 15 pick. Let's face it, this is a playoff team since '04 except for 1 year missing it in a shootout. It is really rolling the dice after Top 10 may be Top 15, after that, the draft is rolling the dice, gambling. The Rangers actually have drafted well the last few years. When you are Oilers, Panthers, Sabres, Leafs, etc... those players drop into your hands. When you are a playoff team going on now 10+ years, it is not easy to find those players, game changers. A Crosby, a Malik, a Ovie, a Kane, a Toews, a JT, McDavid, don't exactly fall into your hands.

If you consider drafting after the top 15 rolling the dice,what do you consider the third round where the Rangers first draft pick usually starts?Stop trading year after year first and second round picks for either playoff rentals,or for 1 year of a contract.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-19 6:08 PM (#666569 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

No, this is NOT what I am saying, the draft is important, but a gamble it is, beyond the Top 10 or so, you just don't know. And, many times even in the Top 10 you have misses & a Robitaille in the 9th rnd. All I'm saying if you are drafting in the Top 5-10, the likelihood of drafting a Crosby or Hedman is that much easier.

And, again, considering where the Rangers have been drafting, they have done well.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2017-01-19 6:09 PM
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-19 6:15 PM (#666571 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

PV, you listed good solid players. I listed game changers, you see...

All I'm saying where are the Rangers supposed to find these types of d-men.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2017-01-19 6:46 PM
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-19 6:23 PM (#666572 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

I'm not even talking about some of the legends that were all top picks like Potvin, Bourque, Leetch, Coffey, Murphy, Langway, McInnis, etc...
PV29
Posted 2017-01-19 7:28 PM (#666574 - in reply to #666571)

Legend

LeetchyMrRanger - 2017-01-19 8:15 PM

PV, you listed good solid players. I listed game changers, you see...

All I'm saying where are the Rangers supposed to find these types of d-men.

That's the point. The Rangers just need to add a certain type of player to balance out this team. That's what is so frustrating. They've already collected good solid players and talent especially up front. Now they need some edge and a couple of stay at home Dmen who actually play physical defense. That's the EASY part. They just seem to refuse to do it.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-19 8:06 PM (#666580 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

Yes, I have posted here also, they are a solid 25 min d-man away from taking it to the next level, & being taken seriously as a serious contender. The D is weak, the team D is weak most games.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-01-24 10:30 AM (#666698 - in reply to #665803)

All-Star

This is what I posted last week, similar references & examples:

http://nypost.com/2017/01/24/what-derek-jeters-epic-slump-tells-us-...
concust
Posted 2017-01-31 8:05 AM (#666774 - in reply to #665803)

Legend

Former backups Weekes, Vali, Biron try to explain off year:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-nhl-goalies-break-down-lundqvis...
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 2 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software