Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Would Cody Franson be a fit for the Rangers?
[Frozen]

Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-01-30 3:51 AM (#666759)
Subject: Would Cody Franson be a fit for the Rangers?

All-Star

1/29/17
In Newsday, Steve Zipay writes that Cody Franson could be a fit at the trade deadline since he is a rental and a right shot defenseman.

Franson has been a player of interest to the Rangers over the past number of seasons.

Larry Brooks wrote in the NY Post in December that the Rangers shouldn't trade any picks to rent Franson or Dennis Wideman.

Franson, 25, has a cap hit of $3 million this season.

He has 2 goals and 11 assists in 45 games this season for Buffalo, is averaging 18:37 per game, has 58 hits, 39 blocked shots, 8 takeaways and 22 giveaways.

When he is on the ice the Sabres have 51% of the shot attempts and he has been on the ice for 26 goals for and 23 against. (Natural Stat Trick)

Adam Rotter: Franson is a fit int he sense that he is a right shot who can play relatively big minutes and has the potential to add some offense. He will likely be high in demand as every team in the league is looking for a defenseman and no one is quite sure yet who or how many will be available.

I think he will likely get traded for a higher price than a player of his caliber should, maybe a second round pick, which is probably too much for the Rangers to give up. He also fits the mold of that Nick Holden type of defenseman they are likely to try and acquire but I'm not sure he will end up being the one.

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/would-cody-franson-be-a-fit-for-the-...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
concust
Posted 2017-01-30 12:59 PM (#666760 - in reply to #666759)
Subject: Re: Would Cody Franson be a fit for the Rangers?

Legend

If the Rangers had signed Franson that offseason a couple of years ago, I think our defense as a whole would be in much better shape. He sat unsigned until training camp IIRC but for no particular reason. Maybe he was holding out for too much money.

He's not 25 though, he's 29. Hit UFA 2 years ago. I agree with Adam Rotter, a second round pick is probably too high a price unless the Rangers are really clicking heading into the deadline. My guess though is this team had its one hot streak already at the beginning of the season.

Still if our deadline deal is Franson for a second, I'd applaud it as it represents a move to address a deficiency, at a relatively affordable price. This would be a welcome change from the types of deals we've seen at the deadline in the past. Guess I've just been conditioned to accept sh!tty deadline deals.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-01-30 5:43 PM (#666762 - in reply to #666759)

Legend

3 1st round picks given up for MSL and Yandle....who are both long gone from the team...No more trading picks
Spider3WideBanana
Posted 2017-01-31 10:30 AM (#666779 - in reply to #666759)

There's a right handed shot, physical defenseman on waivers we could get for nothing...... Dylan Mcilrath
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-01-31 11:18 AM (#666780 - in reply to #666779)

All-Star

Spider3WideBanana - 2017-01-31 10:30 AM

There's a right handed shot, physical defenseman on waivers we could get for nothing...... Dylan Mcilrath

I'm confused, did you mean we could "get" him for nothing or that he was "worth" nothing?
Spider3WideBanana
Posted 2017-01-31 11:31 AM (#666781 - in reply to #666780)

RANGERNUT - 2017-01-31 11:18 AM

I'm confused, did you mean we could "get" him for nothing or that he was "worth" nothing?

Lol...... why not take a shot on him and stash him in Hartford once Staal returns ....?
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-01-31 11:57 AM (#666783 - in reply to #666759)

Legend

the point is moot since he's not on waivers.

Edited by Mjolnir 2017-01-31 11:58 AM
Mandar
Posted 2017-01-31 12:14 PM (#666785 - in reply to #666781)

MVP

Spider3WideBanana - 2017-01-31 1:31 PM

RANGERNUT - 2017-01-31 11:18 AM

Lol...... why not take a shot on him and stash him in Hartford once Staal returns ....?

not sure if this was meant as a joke.........

Spider3WideBanana
Posted 2017-01-31 6:30 PM (#666830 - in reply to #666759)

He is on waivers
http://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/01/panthers-thompson-mcilrath.h...
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-02-01 7:33 AM (#666859 - in reply to #666830)

Legend

Spider3WideBanana - 2017-01-31 8:30 PM

He is on waivers
http://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/01/panthers-thompson-mcilrath.h...

I stand corrected...I couldn't find anything on Florida website when you made the original post, ergo my response. Saw it yesterday right before going to game.
Fish
Posted 2017-02-01 8:16 AM (#666863 - in reply to #666759)

Publisher

Really hope they don't look at Wideman, his time has come and gone
robstones
Posted 2017-02-01 9:48 AM (#666865 - in reply to #666759)

Legend

I really think they should push for Jacob Trouba. I don't know what the price tag would be, but he's the perfect fit in my opinion
Mandar
Posted 2017-02-01 10:20 AM (#666869 - in reply to #666865)

MVP

robstones - 2017-02-01 11:48 AM

I really think they should push for Jacob Trouba. I don't know what the price tag would be, but he's the perfect fit in my opinion

That ship has sailed....he isn't going anywhere.

Hey....what about Ekblad? Would you rather have him?

Mjolnir
Posted 2017-02-01 11:29 AM (#666871 - in reply to #666869)

Legend

Mandar - 2017-02-01 12:20 PM

Two words come to mind here.....dog......bone....
concust
Posted 2017-02-01 11:32 AM (#666874 - in reply to #666759)

Legend

I disagree, I think Trouba's deal is structured to facilitate a trade. Unfortunately the price would be too steep, ie McDonagh and a good young player/pick. At which point no deal.

Trouba doesn't want to be in Winnipeg, that much is clear, despite his statement right after he signed. As if he had a sudden change of heart after signing and all of a sudden loves Winnipeg.

Chevy did the hard work - getting him under contract - so now instead of trading for a RFA holdout, any potential suitor will have cost certainty for this year AND next. Trouba took below value, even considering it's a bridge deal, in order to make himself a more valuable trade target. He wanted to be traded, and signing a sweetheart deal will accelerate that. He's done everything in his power to make himself an attractive trade target, and Winnipeg doesn't want to keep a player who doesn't want to be there. Basically, all sides want Trouba traded.

Unfortunately the last (biggest) obstacle, is whether Chevy will get enough in return to pull the trigger.. My guess is Trouba doesn't get dealt at the deadline, as teams are gearing up for playoffs and will not want to give up good roster assets in order to get Trouba. After the dust is settled, at the draft, is when it makes the most sense for both Winnipeg, Trouba, and potential suitors.

concust
Posted 2017-02-01 11:40 AM (#666875 - in reply to #666863)

Legend

Fish - 2017-02-01 9:16 AM

Really hope they don't look at Wideman, his time has come and gone

Unless the Rangers start firing on all cylinders in February, I wouldn't bother looking at anyone. Let's face it, this team is not a player or two away from the Cup. We'll almost certainly make the playoffs as currently constructed, but is anyone here under the impression that this team only needs a missing piece or two? Even with Franson, or a rental winger, is that going to be enough to push us to the second round? Or the Cup? No way. So what's the point? Give away more picks and assets?

This team will make the first round, and the second round if it's lucky. It's nowhere near Cup contention this year. We gave up a B+ prospect and two second round picks last year for 20 games of Eric Staal, who scored 6 points. He played 5 playoff games and went scoreless. Yandle was a good player but did he push us into contention? Did we make an additional playoff round because we were a better team with him?

This team will continue to go nowhere if this is the philosophy behind its management.

Mandar
Posted 2017-02-01 1:26 PM (#666881 - in reply to #666874)

MVP

concust - 2017-02-01 1:32 PM

I disagree, I think Trouba's deal is structured to facilitate a trade. Unfortunately the price would be too steep, ie McDonagh and a good young player/pick. At which point no deal.

Trouba doesn't want to be in Winnipeg, that much is clear, despite his statement right after he signed. As if he had a sudden change of heart after signing and all of a sudden loves Winnipeg.

Chevy did the hard work - getting him under contract - so now instead of trading for a RFA holdout, any potential suitor will have cost certainty for this year AND next. Trouba took below value, even considering it's a bridge deal, in order to make himself a more valuable trade target. He wanted to be traded, and signing a sweetheart deal will accelerate that. He's done everything in his power to make himself an attractive trade target, and Winnipeg doesn't want to keep a player who doesn't want to be there. Basically, all sides want Trouba traded.

Unfortunately the last (biggest) obstacle, is whether Chevy will get enough in return to pull the trigger.. My guess is Trouba doesn't get dealt at the deadline, as teams are gearing up for playoffs and will not want to give up good roster assets in order to get Trouba. After the dust is settled, at the draft, is when it makes the most sense for both Winnipeg, Trouba, and potential suitors.

You would rather have Trouba?
concust
Posted 2017-02-01 2:40 PM (#666883 - in reply to #666881)

Legend

Mandar - 2017-02-01 2:26 PM

He's good on faceoffs. Never lost a single one in his NHL career.
Mandar
Posted 2017-02-01 2:53 PM (#666885 - in reply to #666883)

MVP

concust - 2017-02-01 4:40 PM

His ESS...or whatever that thing was?
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-02-01 5:26 PM (#666888 - in reply to #666885)

Legend

Mandar - 2017-02-01 4:53 PM

concust - 2017-02-01 4:40 PM

His ESS...or whatever that thing was?
Lisping now, are we?
robstones
Posted 2017-02-02 6:42 PM (#666905 - in reply to #666869)

Legend

Mandar - 2017-02-01 12:20 PM

robstones - 2017-02-01 11:48 AM

That ship has sailed....he isn't going anywhere.

How has that ship sailed? Because they gave him a new contract? The guy said he wants out, and didn't play for how many games because of it? He wants to be a top pair guy, but Buff is there

With Buchnevich on the 4th line currently, I wonder if he would be enough straight up.

Ekblad.... of course I'd take Ekblad, are you mad? I like Trouba's game though as an addition to The Rangers. His size and grit would be welcomed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software