Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trade Deadline - March 1st - 3pm Eastern
[Frozen]

Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Rranger
Posted 2017-02-19 7:05 AM (#667241 - in reply to #666923)
Subject: Re: Trade Deadline - March 1st - 3pm Eastern

All-Star

Deryk Engelland
Top of the page Bottom of the page
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-02-19 1:26 PM (#667255 - in reply to #666923)

Scorer

Rangers should absolutely move Stepan before they get dragged into his moronic, NMC. He's not a fit for this system. Duchene is and he is an elite faceoff guy. I don't think you give up more for Duchene than Stepan. However, if they want Stepan, Nieves and and Puempel, so be it. It's pretty even one on one. Colorado plays no defense and Stepan can help. He's a perfect number 2 on that team. That being said, I'd shop Nash and see what is offered. Nash has never been the difference here in the post season. A little more than one year on his deal. Might find some takers.
concust
Posted 2017-02-20 7:35 AM (#667272 - in reply to #666923)

Legend

TSN's trade bait list:
http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-trade-bait-list-1.203546

Fish
Posted 2017-02-21 10:35 AM (#667286 - in reply to #667272)

Publisher

concust - 2017-02-20 6:35 AM

TSN's trade bait list:

Pretty sad looking list of D in that article
Rranger
Posted 2017-02-21 10:59 AM (#667287 - in reply to #667286)

All-Star

Fish - 2017-02-21 9:35 AM

TSN's trade bait list:

Pretty sad looking list of D in that list

My thoughts to. The Rangers are going to have to dig a bit but some teams are facing the prospect of losing guys or letting RFA's walk this summer to to gear up for next year, let alone the expansion draft. Tampa for example is well known as being in a cap crunch with some notables to be signed for next season. Brayden Coburn is rumoured available and Tampa possibly having to sweeten things to move him. Gordon's done a nice job and has some cap room to take on that type of deal. This is the first year in a long time the Rangers are not rumoured to be acquiring a Nash, St. Louis or Yandle. I'm very curious to see what Gorton does. In his short tenure I think he's done a very credible job. Help is out there for the defense, it's a matter of digging and finding it. All you have to do is remember the defensive scrubs Jim Rutherford acquired prior to last seasons playoffs.
Gravey09
Posted 2017-02-21 11:01 AM (#667288 - in reply to #666923)

All-Star

does a guy like Hanzal move the needle? yep he is not a defensemen but would his presence up the level of the team defense. Or perhaps relieve some burden on the defensive and allow the D-corps to perform above its true level? I think he could alter things enough to that the team is approved quite a bit.
Rranger
Posted 2017-02-21 12:47 PM (#667291 - in reply to #667288)

All-Star

Gravey09 - 2017-02-21 10:01 AM

does a guy like Hanzal move the needle? yep he is not a defensemen but would his presence up the level of the team defense. Or perhaps relieve some burden on the defensive and allow the D-corps to perform above its true level? I think he could alter things enough to that the team is approved quite a bit.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10212146801327184&set=p.10212146801327184&type=3

He might but at what cost? Plus unless he becomes the fourth center one of Stepan, Zibanejad, or Hayes would have to switch positions.
Gravey09
Posted 2017-02-21 1:34 PM (#667292 - in reply to #667291)

All-Star

Rranger - 2017-02-21 12:47 PM

Gravey09 - 2017-02-21 10:01 AM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10212146801327184&set=p.10212146801327184&type=3

He might but at what cost? Plus unless he becomes the fourth center one of Stepan, Zibanejad, or Hayes would have to switch positions.

Figure he is UFA and no way going to play in the desert the price would not be restrictive. Having said that no I would not overpay for his services. I think he would fit the team structure and would not **** any existing center. Roll the 4 of them in no particular order.
His price I thought we be far cheaper than a young RHD ...... and provide some interesting qualities that could help this current team. Not sure folks are salivating over HAnzal ..... Yotes have done a hell of lot of losing with him so not sure why the price would be prohibitive. AHL prospect and a mid late round pick + Lindberg or something like that .... do not think teams will ante up
sureshore
Posted 2017-02-21 2:54 PM (#667294 - in reply to #667287)

All-Star

Rranger - 2017-02-21 12:59 PM

TSN's trade bait list:

My thoughts to. The Rangers are going to have to dig a bit but some teams are facing the prospect of losing guys or letting RFA's walk this summer to to gear up for next year, let alone the expansion draft. Tampa for example is well known as being in a cap crunch with some notables to be signed for next season. Brayden Coburn is rumoured available and Tampa possibly having to sweeten things to move him. Gordon's done a nice job and has some cap room to take on that type of deal. This is the first year in a long time the Rangers are not rumoured to be acquiring a Nash, St. Louis or Yandle. I'm very curious to see what Gorton does. In his short tenure I think he's done a very credible job. Help is out there for the defense, it's a matter of digging and finding it. All you have to do is remember the defensive scrubs Jim Rutherford acquired prior to last seasons playoffs.

Agree the De list looks weak, but if Brayden Coburn is the reach, it more of a retch. Watched him in Philly enough to say no, no never for the Rangers.
Mandar
Posted 2017-02-21 3:52 PM (#667297 - in reply to #667294)

MVP

sureshore - 2017-02-21 4:54 PM

Rranger - 2017-02-21 12:59 PM

TSN's trade bait list:

Agree the De list looks weak, but if Brayden Coburn is the reach, it more of a retch. Watched him in Philly enough to say no, no never for the Rangers.

Agreed....Coburn is not an upgrade.
concust
Posted 2017-02-22 7:56 AM (#667319 - in reply to #666923)

Legend

My position is, if you can get someone who can be an upgrade and also fits into the long-term plan for the team (assuming there is one ) then fine.

Otherwise if you're just going shopping to go shopping and "make a splash", it's not worth anything to get a rental like a Coburn or a Wideman or even a Franson. Or Hanzal, etc.

Only other factor to me is positioning for the expansion draft. Depending on who they want to protect it would be good to sell an asset and get something of value, in order to not lose something less valuable. But none of us has any idea what the protect list is going to look like. I bet even management doesn't at this point.
concust
Posted 2017-02-22 8:07 AM (#667320 - in reply to #666923)

Legend

Greg Pateryn is available. Cheap, youngish blueline depth you could get for a mid-round pick. Doubt Montreal would send him here though.

Also he's not a "smurf" so he gets the PV seal of approval.
Rranger
Posted 2017-02-22 8:46 AM (#667321 - in reply to #666923)

All-Star

The point with Coburn is Tampa or any other team will likely have to add to the trade to move a player like him. Tampa has huge cap implications to sort out. Gorton has some cap room. He can now make that sort of trade. As far as Coburn goes he plays 16-17 minutes a night for Tampa. He has size and some mean, none of the present Rangers Dmen do. An upgrade happens when you take your worst player off and add someone better. Bradyn Coburn is better than Clendening, Klein, and certainly no less than Girardi. He is a upgrade. He also brings some badly needed size and grit on the P.K. for the playoffs. He'd be very effective as a third pair stay at home, keep it clean in front of the net defender. And if there was to much net crashing he'd take care of that. Ask Brian Boyle.
If the Rangers have any ambition in the playoffs they need at least two more defensemen that can play. Injuries are unavoidable, after Clendening who the coach has no faith in and a question mark in Graves the Rangers have nothing. As I mentioned Gorton needs to follow Rutherfords cue last year and find low price fill ins like Pitt did.

Edited by Rranger 2017-02-22 8:48 AM
sureshore
Posted 2017-02-22 11:18 AM (#667324 - in reply to #667321)

All-Star

Rranger - 2017-02-22 10:46 AM

The point with Coburn is Tampa or any other team will likely have to add to the trade to move a player like him. Tampa has huge cap implications to sort out. Gorton has some cap room. He can now make that sort of trade. As far as Coburn goes he plays 16-17 minutes a night for Tampa. He has size and some mean, none of the present Rangers Dmen do. An upgrade happens when you take your worst player off and add someone better. Bradyn Coburn is better than Clendening, Klein, and certainly no less than Girardi. He is a upgrade. He also brings some badly needed size and grit on the P.K. for the playoffs. He'd be very effective as a third pair stay at home, keep it clean in front of the net defender. And if there was to much net crashing he'd take care of that. Ask Brian Boyle.
If the Rangers have any ambition in the playoffs they need at least two more defensemen that can play. Injuries are unavoidable, after Clendening who the coach has no faith in and a question mark in Graves the Rangers have nothing. As I mentioned Gorton needs to follow Rutherfords cue last year and find low price fill ins like Pitt did.

I stick by my word on Coburn - no, no, never.

He's not an upgrade on Klein or Girardi, as hard as that may seem. And regarding physical, he's one of those d-men that will hit you after the puck is in the net. PASS...

Edited by sureshore 2017-02-22 11:19 AM
concust
Posted 2017-02-22 11:24 AM (#667325 - in reply to #666923)

Legend

I think Coburn is a slight upgrade at this point vs Klein and Girardi, however not so much that it makes sense to acquire him at $3.7m and 2+ more years.

Plus you then run into the issue of, will AV actually use his defensemen correctly or is Girardi going to remain paired with McDonagh on the top pair? If you trade for a Coburn and AV plays him 12 minutes a night while Girardi gets 25, what's the point.

I'm fine with adding depth for the playoffs but it shouldn't cost much in assets or money, since it's more as an insurance policy than as a defensive upgrade. Highly doubtful we actually improve our defense for the playoffs, we'll probably just add more mediocrity.
Rranger
Posted 2017-02-22 12:14 PM (#667326 - in reply to #667325)

All-Star

concust - 2017-02-22 10:24 AM

I think Coburn is a slight upgrade at this point vs Klein and Girardi, however not so much that it makes sense to acquire him at $3.7m and 2+ more years.

Plus you then run into the issue of, will AV actually use his defensemen correctly or is Girardi going to remain paired with McDonagh on the top pair? If you trade for a Coburn and AV plays him 12 minutes a night while Girardi gets 25, what's the point.

I'm fine with adding depth for the playoffs but it shouldn't cost much in assets or money, since it's more as an insurance policy than as a defensive upgrade. Highly doubtful we actually improve our defense for the playoffs, we'll probably just add more mediocrity.

Coburn is just a example, but I also think he is a upgrade over some. No matter who they acquire, the expansion draft and the cap going down the road is of prime importance. I guess whether a Coburn type contract is feasible depends on other moves, and on this summers draft. Is Girardi agreeable to being exposed in the expansion draft and taken. And that's not happening. Or Girardi gets bought out, that is feasible and a Coburn type acquisition fills his boots with a little more tolerable contract. This type of deal might free up some cap for a Shattenkirk type acquisition this summer. You also have Girardi and Coburn for this seasons playoffs. And again since a team might be doing Tampa a favour it could be as simple as a Puemple for Coburn type of deal.
As far as coach utilizing someone properly I feel you pessimism, look no further than the ridiculous ineffective use of Eric Staal last season. A GM can give his coach horses, but ultimately the GM must decide if they are being used properly. I don't care for his use of some players, some benchings, and blatant favouritisms, but it's hard to argue his record.
NTHockey
Posted 2017-02-23 5:40 AM (#667340 - in reply to #666923)

All-Star

If you want a defenseman that not even the Flyers wanted, by all means get Coburn. OR you could go after more of their junk in Del Zotto and Streit. Frankly, there is little to choose from on TSN's trade bait list, even depth. Might as well go to Swiss League and get Diaz.

BTW, almost all the defensemen on the list are rated inconsistent with defensive flaws.
mpcelo45
Posted 2017-02-23 8:03 AM (#667341 - in reply to #666923)

All-Star

This would not be a as far out there as it sounds

http://fulltiltnyr.com/california-dreaming-how-dealing-nash-to-anah...
Rranger
Posted 2017-02-23 9:09 AM (#667342 - in reply to #667340)

All-Star

NTHockey - 2017-02-23 4:40 AM

If you want a defenseman that not even the Flyers wanted, by all means get Coburn. OR you could go after more of their junk in Del Zotto and Streit. Frankly, there is little to choose from on TSN's trade bait list, even depth. Might as well go to Swiss League and get Diaz.

BTW, almost all the defensemen on the list are rated inconsistent with defensive flaws.

Absolutely brilliant post. The flyers didn't want Coburn so they traded him. It had nothing to do with getting Gudas, they just didn't want Coburn because he's junk. Tampa must be really stupid because they are playing Flyers junk. Steve Yzerman, best young G.M. in the game playing Flyers junk 17 minutes a game.

You say Diaz over Coburn. Diaz, a guy who can't play in the NHL because NO ONE wants him, except A.V., because he flies around in a no hit practice, is a better pickup than Coburn. You really need to watch some games. But you will need a T.V. satellite feed to watch Diaz in Europe. Streit and even Del Zotto are better than Diaz. And Diaz couldn't carry Coburns sticks.

concust
Posted 2017-02-23 9:22 AM (#667343 - in reply to #666923)

Legend

We're arguing 7th defensemen now? ok cool
Rranger
Posted 2017-02-23 9:26 AM (#667344 - in reply to #666923)

All-Star

No 7 defenseman argument here. Just laughable Diaz is a better pickup than Coburn.
concust
Posted 2017-02-23 9:36 AM (#667345 - in reply to #667341)

Legend

mpcelo45 - 2017-02-23 9:03 AM

I saw that and it's well reasoned, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The other issue is, that Nash is going to end up between 20-25 goals this year, and while that's underperforming vs his salary, his offense does not occur in a vacuum. You can't just subtract a player and lose only that production, like you would in rotisserie hockey. You lose a top 6 forward, it will impact the other top 6 forwards as well, and then after an injury to another player, your offense all of a sudden is very ordinary.

That's not to say I would not make these proposed deals, it's just hardly as simple as simple subtraction. Rick Nash is a guy who is somehow simultaneously overpaid, and, undervalued.

concust
Posted 2017-02-23 10:59 AM (#667347 - in reply to #666923)

Legend

Hainsey to Penguins for Kristo and a second.
Mandar
Posted 2017-02-23 12:17 PM (#667349 - in reply to #667347)

MVP

concust - 2017-02-23 12:59 PM

overpayment by the Pens
Mandar
Posted 2017-02-23 12:20 PM (#667350 - in reply to #667345)

MVP

concust - 2017-02-23 11:36 AM

I saw that and it's well reasoned, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The other issue is, that Nash is going to end up between 20-25 goals this year, and while that's underperforming vs his salary, his offense does not occur in a vacuum. You can't just subtract a player and lose only that production, like you would in rotisserie hockey. You lose a top 6 forward, it will impact the other top 6 forwards as well, and then after an injury to another player, your offense all of a sudden is very ordinary.

That's not to say I would not make these proposed deals, it's just hardly as simple as simple subtraction. Rick Nash is a guy who is somehow simultaneously overpaid, and, undervalued.

Agree with much of what you said....but another puck moving defenseman also changes the dynamic as well. Subtracting Nash hurts the offense as it stands now (and his defensive play would be extremely missed)....but a puck moving defenseman has the potential to open up the offense more, thus creating more opportunities. A potential acquisition might create those goals you miss from Nash, while also solving the bigger issue - defenseman.
Mandar
Posted 2017-02-23 12:55 PM (#667351 - in reply to #667347)

MVP

concust - 2017-02-23 12:59 PM

Carolina retained 50% of Hainsey's $$
mpcelo45
Posted 2017-02-23 1:58 PM (#667355 - in reply to #667350)

All-Star

Mandar - 2017-02-23 2:20 PM

concust - 2017-02-23 11:36 AM

Agree with much of what you said....but another puck moving defenseman also changes the dynamic as well. Subtracting Nash hurts the offense as it stands now (and his defensive play would be extremely missed)....but a puck moving defenseman has the potential to open up the offense more, thus creating more opportunities. A potential acquisition might create those goals you miss from Nash, while also solving the bigger issue - defenseman.

Took the words out of my mouth. I really turned the corner on Nash this season and his overall two way game has really changed the look of whatever line he is on. He is very responsible defensively and can really turn it on offensively when needed.

But this team has sorely missed the puck moving d-man since Leetch was traded away, not saying that any one of those guys in Anaheim is Leetch but their style can change game play.

We shall see i am not a proponent of trading for Shattenkirk unless it is a Gomez for McD type deal and think that we should wait until the offseason to attempt to acquire him via free agency and hold onto our chips. Also we can see at that point as well what the asking price will be for Trouba.
robstones
Posted 2017-02-23 2:59 PM (#667356 - in reply to #666923)

Legend

I wonder if

Nash/Klein for Shattenkirk/Upshall could happen... retain some Nash salary.
Mandar
Posted 2017-02-23 3:02 PM (#667357 - in reply to #667356)

MVP

robstones - 2017-02-23 4:59 PM

I wonder if

I'm not thinking we are trading for Shatt....
concust
Posted 2017-02-23 3:40 PM (#667358 - in reply to #666923)

Legend

I don't see a deal for Shattenkirk unless it's an offer the Blues can't refuse... and at that point it would be a bad deal for us. Nash isn't going to do it. Nash/Klein wouldn't do it either.

Remember how much we had to pay for Yandle... top prospect, NHL defenseman, a first and a second. That was a heavy price to pay then, and I don't think the blues would be looking for less of a return for Shattenkirk.
robstones
Posted 2017-02-23 4:41 PM (#667360 - in reply to #667357)

Legend

Mandar - 2017-02-23 5:02 PM

robstones - 2017-02-23 4:59 PM

I wonder if

I'm not thinking we are trading for Shatt....

Yeah, the rumor guys just constantly bring it up as a possibility.

They must be talking. St. Louis isn't or shouldn't lose him for nothing.

Nash and Klein keep St. Louis a top team in the West. Klein is a good defenseman, so their defense stays good... and the offensive production they lost from the back end, is compensated for by Nash up front.

They both have term on their contracts, so they both can be flipped at the draft for prospects, or at least potentially.

Rangers get a top offensive defenseman in the league in Shattenkirik, and a guy like Scottie Upshall would add veteran experience, toughness, and grit to the fourth line. He also kills penalties, so the loss of Nash in that department is compensated for.

In the end, I think it makes both teams better now, and in the future.
NTHockey
Posted 2017-02-23 6:35 PM (#667365 - in reply to #667342)

All-Star

Rranger - 2017-02-23 11:09 AM

NTHockey - 2017-02-23 4:40 AM

Absolutely brilliant post. The flyers didn't want Coburn so they traded him. It had nothing to do with getting Gudas, they just didn't want Coburn because he's junk. Tampa must be really stupid because they are playing Flyers junk. Steve Yzerman, best young G.M. in the game playing Flyers junk 17 minutes a game.

You say Diaz over Coburn. Diaz, a guy who can't play in the NHL because NO ONE wants him, except A.V., because he flies around in a no hit practice, is a better pickup than Coburn. You really need to watch some games. But you will need a T.V. satellite feed to watch Diaz in Europe. Streit and even Del Zotto are better than Diaz. And Diaz couldn't carry Coburns sticks.

I didn't think it was necessary to put /s after Diaz. Obviously, I was wrong.
robstones
Posted 2017-02-24 7:05 AM (#667382 - in reply to #666923)

Legend

Spector and hockeybuzz (not eklund) both report that Shattenkirk was almost traded to Tampa, but the deal didn't go through because Shattenkirk refused to negotiate a sign and trade. A deal reportly worth 7 million a year...

He refused a similar deal with Edmonton.

He wants to come to The Rangers, though, that we know. If he decides that Boston and New York are the only two teams he's willing to go to, then St. Louis' asking price must come down.

You can get the 1st rounder+top prospect+serviceable NHLer for Shatt if he was guarenteed to sign with the new team, but as a rental, St. Louis isn't going to get that.

So, Rangers are the favorite. When a player makes it known that he wants to be a Ranger, New York generally makes it happen.

The problem is, The Rangers don't have the picks and prospects to give.

I love the trade deadline
concust
Posted 2017-02-24 7:16 AM (#667383 - in reply to #666923)

Legend

Deal was reportedly 7 years / $42m, so $6m per year.

You can get the 1st rounder+top prospect+serviceable NHLer for Shatt if he was guarenteed to sign with the new team, but as a rental, St. Louis isn't going to get that.

You have to wonder what that Tampa offer was. NHL defenseman, plus a young forward (Palat, Johnson?) and Bishop going back to St Louis? Yeah if Shattenkirk won't sign the Blues are not going to get much for him. At which point, they may as well just keep him for the playoff run. Shattenkirk therefore holds all the cards at this point.

Still, even if he were to give us a "hometown discount", 7 years is much too long a contract for my liking. I'd actually rather pay him more money for less years if that were an option.

robstones
Posted 2017-02-24 7:25 AM (#667385 - in reply to #667383)

Legend

concust - 2017-02-24 9:16 AM

Deal was reportedly 7 years / $42m, so $6m per year.

You have to wonder what that Tampa offer was. NHL defenseman, plus a young forward (Palat, Johnson?) and Bishop going back to St Louis? Yeah if Shattenkirk won't sign the Blues are not going to get much for him. At which point, they may as well just keep him for the playoff run. Shattenkirk therefore holds all the cards at this point.

Still, even if he were to give us a "hometown discount", 7 years is much too long a contract for my liking. I'd actually rather pay him more money for less years if that were an option.

St. Louis doesn't necessarily have to hold on to him, they just may rethink their asking price. I don't think they want to lose him for nothing. It's all a matter of how confident their GM is that his team can win this year. Right now, The Islanders have more points than St. Louis..... They'll make the playoffs, but they're not getting past Minesota or Chicago

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software