Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NYR Trade: Brendan Smith for pair of picks
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-02-28 6:03 PM (#667646 - in reply to #667593)
Subject: Re: NYR Trade: Brendan Smith for pair of picks

Regular

Rranger. You're head is up your ass on this one. Smith will be tremendous here much like Holden. Detroit is no longer this great organization using or developing players. They are dumb now and their team sucks. Smith will flourish here. I don't like giving up the picks but I believe the Rangers will deal Nash, Klein and perhaps Stepan at some point and stock pile picks. I have no faith in Staal, Klein or Girardi to stay healthy. You will see quickly that Smith will be good here.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rranger
Posted 2017-02-28 6:14 PM (#667647 - in reply to #667646)

Scorer

itsmcilrathtime - 2017-02-28 5:03 PM

Rranger. You're head is up your ass on this one. Smith will be tremendous here much like Holden. Detroit is no longer this great organization using or developing players. They are dumb now and their team sucks. Smith will flourish here. I don't like giving up the picks but I believe the Rangers will deal Nash, Klein and perhaps Stepan at some point and stock pile picks. I have no faith in Staal, Klein or Girardi to stay healthy. You will see quickly that Smith will be good here.

Time during intermission to respond to the math genius who doesn't understand the difference between 1st pair, 2nd pair and 3rd pair. Learned hockey minds in Detroit have used him on he 3rd pair since he got there. But according to you it's because Detroit doesn't use or develop players any more. They must have decided "well no sense using or developing players anymore" we will just go through the motions and get our cheques and the heck with the players that want to get better. Where do you get this crap?
According to you he's going to come here and flourish. The guy will come here flourish for 10 games like many traded players then settle into his level. Third pair. And he's looking for $3.5 mill plus per year. Great that ought to help the cap.

Edited by Rranger 2017-02-28 7:05 PM
Mandar
Posted 2017-02-28 7:23 PM (#667676 - in reply to #667647)

MVP

Rranger - 2017-02-28 8:14 PM

Time during intermission to respond to the math genius who doesn't understand the difference between 1st pair, 2nd pair and 3rd pair. Learned hockey minds in Detroit have used him on he 3rd pair since he got there. But according to you it's because Detroit doesn't use or develop players any more. They must have decided "well no sense using or developing players anymore" we will just go through the motions and get our cheques and the heck with the players that want to get better. Where do you get this crap?
According to you he's going to come here and flourish. The guy will come here flourish for 10 games like many traded players then settle into his level. Third pair. And he's looking for $3.5 mill plus per year. Great that ought to help the cap.

Post of the Day! Didn't take long for you to figure him out....well done.
Rranger
Posted 2017-02-28 7:54 PM (#667705 - in reply to #667676)

Scorer

Mandar - 2017-02-28 6:23 PM

He is a little firecracker.
concust
Posted 2017-03-01 8:57 AM (#667744 - in reply to #667705)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-02-28 8:54 PM

Mandar - 2017-02-28 6:23 PM

He is a little firecracker.

We have alternative names for him also

Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-03-01 9:45 AM (#667747 - in reply to #667620)

Legend

NTHockey - 2017-02-28 2:42 PM

TSN.ca SCOUTING REPORT
Assets Skates extremely well and is adept at rushing up ice with the puck. Has offensive ability, an aggressive nature and excellent size. Has good puck skills and a bit of a mean streak.

Flaws Lacks consistency in all areas of the game of hockey. Also, he could stand to pick his spots better in the hitting department, as he can at times lose his positioning and focus.

Career potential Inconsistent, solid all-around defenseman.

Meh!

" adept at rushing up ice with the puck - puck skills - Offensive ability" sounds like a good quality for this Ranger system... Who knows, he may flourish like Grabner did in this system.

" an aggressive nature and excellent size... mean streak " Something that can not be said about many of our d-men.

robstones
Posted 2017-03-01 10:00 AM (#667748 - in reply to #667747)

Legend

Andy Bathgate - 2017-03-01 11:45 AM

TSN.ca SCOUTING REPORT
Assets Skates extremely well and is adept at rushing up ice with the puck. Has offensive ability, an aggressive nature and excellent size. Has good puck skills and a bit of a mean streak.

Flaws Lacks consistency in all areas of the game of hockey. Also, he could stand to pick his spots better in the hitting department, as he can at times lose his positioning and focus.

Meh!

" adept at rushing up ice with the puck - puck skills - Offensive ability" sounds like a good quality for this Ranger system... Who knows, he may flourish like Grabner did in this system.

" an aggressive nature and excellent size... mean streak " Something that can not be said about many of our d-men.

That said, I'm not sure who sits
Rranger
Posted 2017-03-01 10:29 AM (#667752 - in reply to #667593)

Scorer

The Rangers already have a jam on 3 pair dman playing up. More so now. Smith is a decent third pair guy who will play up because "Smitty" is a classic nickname and A.V. can't wait to spew it in a press conference. Scrub may have been a little harsh Mandar but I was pissed. So we will go with Smitty.
The acquisition of Smitty really doesn't improve the top two pairs at all. Based on A.V.'s track record the top four is in stone. Girardi is glued to McDonagh like a JB welded plastic beer mug handle. And Staal is not going to be third pair, and Patrick Roy told A.V. Holden was his best defenseman. We can expect to see Smitty on McD's right until "Danny" comes back.
Then he ends up back on the third pair because the Rangers already have two in the top four playing over their head.
Trading Klein , who hadn't been traded yet because returns of a fourth round pick are probably not exciting Gorton, will have no impact on the defense except Smith might be better than Klein. And he better be because Klein who was serviceable on the third pair will be renewing at around 2 mill and Smitty wants $3.75 to $4 mill. And if he's third pair that's to much.
I've seen Smitty play and he does have some balls, which being in very short supply on the defense will be welcomed. But he cost a second and a third and his Wisconsin buddies Stepan and McDonagh could have steered him here for nothing this summer. If one of Staal or Girardi are not traded today IMO it's even dumber because he ends up on the third pair, and will have little influence on a season that just went up in smoke the last two games.

Edited by Rranger 2017-03-01 10:31 AM
concust
Posted 2017-03-01 10:59 AM (#667762 - in reply to #667593)

Legend

Pairs at prax today:

McDonagh-Smith
Staal-Holden
Skjei-Clendening

Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-03-01 10:59 AM (#667763 - in reply to #667748)

Legend

robstones - 2017-03-01 12:00 PM

Andy Bathgate - 2017-03-01 11:45 AM

TSN.ca SCOUTING REPORT

Meh!

That said, I'm not sure who sits

With the way the game gets these final months, and the playoffs get, never a bad problem to have depth on the blueline, and let he who earns it play. But with the way Girardi played last year in the playoffs with very little options... and half the D-men on this team are already banged up... we need depth, even if there is a log jam.

robstones
Posted 2017-03-01 11:24 AM (#667769 - in reply to #667593)

Legend

No doubt. But that's what we have to admit to ourselves if this is the only addition to the roster. We traded a 2nd and a 3rd round pick for a 7th defenseman
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-03-01 11:26 AM (#667770 - in reply to #667763)

Legend

Andy Bathgate - 2017-03-01 12:59 PM

With the way the game gets these final months, and the playoffs get, never a bad problem to have depth on the blueline, and let he who is in AV's favor play. But with the way Girardi played last year in the playoffs with very little options... and half the D-men on this team are already banged up... we need depth, even if there is a log jam.

Duly corrected.
concust
Posted 2017-03-01 11:30 AM (#667771 - in reply to #667769)

Legend

robstones - 2017-03-01 12:24 PM

No doubt. But that's what we have to admit to ourselves if this is the only addition to the roster. We traded a 2nd and a 3rd round pick for a 7th defenseman

I have been critical of the trade but Smith is not a 7th defenseman. That's pretty far off base from reality.

robstones
Posted 2017-03-01 11:38 AM (#667772 - in reply to #667771)

Legend

concust - 2017-03-01 1:30 PM

I have been critical of the trade but Smith is not a 7th defenseman. That's pretty far off base from reality.

Then who sits?

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Holden
Skjei Klein

are our pairs

Klein and Girardi are hurt, so Smith will play, and he will play anytime someone needs a rest.... but those are pur top 6. On this team, he's #7

Edited by robstones 2017-03-01 11:40 AM
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-03-01 11:47 AM (#667773 - in reply to #667771)

Legend

Some of the things Wings fans are saying is..."Oh, great Smith has finally found his game, and we trade him".

One thing I've learned about Smith was he was a #1 pick for the Red Wings with high expectations... he was brought in as the answer for Lindstrom. Many fans believe he could never handle the pressure.

The Rangers have more luck with a player like this, than they do with big names coming in at the deadline. Smith is coming in with middle to low expectations... The Price the Rangers paid, which everyone aggress was kind of high, mainly based on Shattenkirk pumping up the value on D-men.

Mjolnir
Posted 2017-03-01 12:07 PM (#667775 - in reply to #667773)

Legend

Andy, much similar to the trade for Klein...if he's as steady as Klein was, I'll be happy.
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-03-01 12:40 PM (#667787 - in reply to #667593)

Legend

NHL network just said after research 23% of 2nd rounder's have a successful NHL career over 5 years.... 15% for third Rounder's.

Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-03-01 12:46 PM (#667790 - in reply to #667772)

Legend

robstones - 2017-03-01 1:38 PM

Then who sits?

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Holden
Skjei Klein

are our pairs

Klein and Girardi are hurt, so Smith will play, and he will play anytime someone needs a rest.... but those are pur top 6. On this team, he's #7

I think based on last years playoffs Girardi and Staal have short ropes, and can see Smith breaking the top 6.

concust
Posted 2017-03-01 12:48 PM (#667792 - in reply to #667772)

Legend

robstones - 2017-03-01 12:38 PM

Then who sits?

McDonagh Girardi
Staal Holden
Skjei Klein

are our pairs

There's no accounting for AV favoritism of who plays and who doesn't, but objectively he should play ahead of both Girardi and Klein. If there's a need for one of those two to be in the lineup then so be in, but having both of them play while Smith sits, is something I just don't see happening. They may rotate Holden out and play Smith, but, they didn't acquire him to sit him. He's also better than that, and honestly the Rangers defensive lineup should not be difficult to crack.
concust
Posted 2017-03-01 12:50 PM (#667793 - in reply to #667593)

Legend

For context, he's on the first pair with McDonagh. Granted Girardi and Klein are both injured, but did you ever see McDonagh-McIlrath or McDonagh-Eminger or McDonagh-Diaz? The first pair spot is not one you just give to a seventh defenseman because two guys are out. That right there should tell you where in the depth chart they regard Smith, and, rightly so.

robstones
Posted 2017-03-01 2:55 PM (#667818 - in reply to #667593)

Legend

So, if one of Klein or Girardi sits, 5/6 D will be left handed shots? We're only going to play 1 righty on the back end? I don't think so.

Holden has been 2nd best.... he's not sitting. Clearly not sitting McDonagh.... so that leaves Staal or Skjei.......... Staal makes most sense there, but that's not likely, either.
concust
Posted 2017-03-01 4:11 PM (#667820 - in reply to #667818)

Legend

robstones - 2017-03-01 3:55 PM

So, if one of Klein or Girardi sits, 5/6 D will be left handed shots? We're only going to play 1 righty on the back end? I don't think so.

Yeah well, I didn't assemble the club. To me, handedness is similar to handedness in pitching. Sure you'd rather have a lefty pitching vs a lefty batter just as you'd prefer rightys playing RD. But ultimately, you want the better pitcher or defenseman out there, regardless of what hand is dominant.

robstones
Posted 2017-03-01 4:53 PM (#667821 - in reply to #667820)

Legend

concust - 2017-03-01 6:11 PM

Yeah well, I didn't assemble the club. To me, handedness is similar to handedness in pitching. Sure you'd rather have a lefty pitching vs a lefty batter just as you'd prefer rightys playing RD. But ultimately, you want the better pitcher or defenseman out there, regardless of what hand is dominant.

And I'm not convinced he's better then any of the top 6 to make one of them the 7th. I don't see him forcing one of them out of the lineup when healthy. You do? He's clearly better then Clenndening and Kampfer. He's nice depth.... but he's not kicking Klein out of the lineup.

He'll allow Girardi to fully recover, but when Girardi is ready Smith sits

Edited by robstones 2017-03-01 4:54 PM
x10003q
Posted 2017-03-01 5:36 PM (#667822 - in reply to #667593)

MVP

Don't worry about it, somebody else will get hurt.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-03-01 5:50 PM (#667823 - in reply to #667822)

Scorer

Welcome to the party Brendan...Hit somebody in the mouth and become a top 4 guy
Rranger
Posted 2017-03-01 6:28 PM (#667824 - in reply to #667820)

Scorer

concust - 2017-03-01 3:11 PM

Hockey is different. A simple explanation is many NHL defenseman can not play their offside sums it up. Some can, but they are still at a disadvantage with their stick usually facing the opposite direction from the play. I don't know if any play their off side better than their dominant side.
There is a one more body pivot to make before moving the puck up ice on your forehand playing the off side. That takes time and in the NHL that makes you more vulnerable to forechek pressure and a hit. Even a simple d to d pass takes more time. And it's not just passing its receiving 90% of crisp NHL passes on your backhand. Skating on your offside even for some NHL,ers, pivoting, turning ect could be a issue.
It's not much different than playing your off wing and many NHL'ers want nothing to do with that.
Having the Rangers best defenseman passer at the start of last nights game on his offside last night had me shaking my head. But that's AV. His whole system is built around that quick first pass and he takes his best passer and puts him at a disadvantage.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-03-01 6:43 PM (#667825 - in reply to #667818)

Rookie

robstones - 2017-03-01 2:55 PM

Holden has been 2nd best.... he's not sitting. Clearly not sitting McDonagh.... so that leaves Staal or Skjei.......... Staal makes most sense there, but that's not likely, either.

Klein or Girard have to be the one to sit. Smith is comfortable playing the right side from what Iv'e read about him. Being a right handed shot does make it easier to play the right side but it isn't necessary. Skjei isn't a right handed shot and they tried him on the right side last year.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-03-01 6:54 PM (#667826 - in reply to #667593)

Scorer

Detroit wanted to keep him so I guess he's a decent D man
Rranger
Posted 2017-03-01 8:46 PM (#667828 - in reply to #667593)

Scorer

I want him to succeeed, but I question a coaches judgement putting a career 3rd pair dman onto the first pair his first game. But that's from a guy who puts Quickie on the first line.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-03-02 5:47 AM (#667829 - in reply to #667825)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2017-03-01 8:43 PM

Klein or Girard have to be the one to sit. Smith is comfortable playing the right side from what Iv'e read about him. Being a right handed shot does make it easier to play the right side but it isn't necessary. Skjei isn't a right handed shot and they tried him on the right side last year.

Clendening will return to the press box.
concust
Posted 2017-03-02 7:01 AM (#667830 - in reply to #667829)

Legend

Mjolnir - 2017-03-02 6:47 AM

Rangerjunkie - 2017-03-01 8:43 PM

Clendening will return to the press box.

Which is the wrong, but most likely, scenario. Clendening has been our third, sometimes second, best defenseman in the recent stretch.

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-03-02 7:23 AM (#667832 - in reply to #667593)

Scorer

Clendening has offensive capabilities...maybe he can be converted to forward?...because he is no way an NHL defenseman...Hot potato back there
Gravey09
Posted 2017-03-02 9:02 AM (#667835 - in reply to #667593)

All-Star

not sure on Smith. Coming in he is not a featured top line dman but can he play up to the position? Would have to think if he was a top flight dman he would not have been moved. Nick Holden over the Summer was a Nick who-cares trade and that seemed to work well. Holden's game most of the time fits into this team and he has definitely played higher than prior level.
The skill assessment of Smith is interesting and perhaps the fit with this team will prove good and allow him to play higher than prior level. Interested in seeing how it unfolds.
Yandle came in as the sure-shot PP QB and offense generator, he did a lot of that to his credit, but he seemed to cause more hafm than good. He did not fit. Maybe AV or blockhead Ulfie but his NYR tour was a sh$%@$show. It is what scared(s) me about Shattenkirk.

If Smith pushes girardi down the line-up that is a good thing. Good for Girardi too as he may be able to post less but more productive minutes. who sits if Smith sticks with McD = who cares! Best available goes see what happens.

concust
Posted 2017-03-02 9:07 AM (#667837 - in reply to #667835)

Legend

Gravey09 - 2017-03-02 10:02 AM

not sure on Smith. Coming in he is not a featured top line dman but can he play up to the position? Would have to think if he was a top flight dman he would not have been moved. Nick Holden over the Summer was a Nick who-cares trade and that seemed to work well. Holden's game most of the time fits into this team and he has definitely played higher than prior level.
The skill assessment of Smith is interesting and perhaps the fit with this team will prove good and allow him to play higher than prior level. Interested in seeing how it unfolds.
Yandle came in as the sure-shot PP QB and offense generator, he did a lot of that to his credit, but he seemed to cause more hafm than good. He did not fit. Maybe AV or blockhead Ulfie but his NYR tour was a sh$%@$show. It is what scared(s) me about Shattenkirk.

If Smith pushes girardi down the line-up that is a good thing. Good for Girardi too as he may be able to post less but more productive minutes. who sits if Smith sticks with McD = who cares! Best available goes see what happens.

In a pinch, he can probably handle it especially if his partner is McDonagh. Same thing as Klein would have been last year, he could probably play on first pair if he needed to, but not a consistent top pair defenseman. He's a middle pair guy most of the time, but should be a bottom pair guy on a team with a deep defense.

One thing Smith brings that we definitely need, is a little bit more snarl on the back end. We'll see how long it takes for AV to coach that out of him.

PV29
Posted 2017-03-02 9:23 AM (#667838 - in reply to #667837)

Legend

concust - 2017-03-02 11:07 AM

One thing Smith brings that we definitely need, is a little bit more snarl on the back end. We'll see how long it takes for AV to coach that out of him.

Smith will take one roughing/cross checking penalty while clearing the front of Henrik's crease, and AV will bench him or cut his ice time.

#FireAV
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software