Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AV sucks
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-03-18 10:17 AM (#668758)
Subject: AV sucks

All-Star

Blows up our best line for what reason? Whats next? Albert is made Captain and both A's? Now e cant win at home.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
PV29
Posted 2017-03-18 6:18 PM (#668794 - in reply to #668758)
Subject: Re: AV sucks

Legend

Julien will once again kick AV's ass in the playoffs with a bigger, stronger team. The Gum Chomping Moron (TGCM) will never change his flawed plan.
DaTeL
Posted 2017-03-19 10:18 AM (#668844 - in reply to #668758)

Legend

I want him gone. Now.
Rranger
Posted 2017-03-19 12:19 PM (#668845 - in reply to #668758)

Scorer

His lineup decisions are often puzzling, but not when you realize it's about putting his boys in place. Others you wonder wtf? His latest in my mind is Staal and McDonagh. Last season when Girardi was so bad and kept getting thrown out there with McDonagh I wanted to see Staal tried with McD but nope keep throwing Girardi out there til we are bounced first round. Of course that's not the only reason but it certainly helped speed up the exit.
So finally this season he's missing Girardi and Klein and tried Skjei, Clendening, Smith and Holden with little success. Finally the light goes on and coach decides I'll try Staal with McDonagh. Although I'm more inclined to believe Shoenfeld or Gorton gave him a slap and told him too. So coach puts his thinking cap on and asks himself how he can screw it up. And comes up with the plan to play his best skating, best shooting, best passing, best defenseman on his off side and puts his defensive defenseman who you just want to look after the front of the net and chip the puck to a forward or out of the zone, and stay out of McD's way on his strong side. You can't make this up. So Schoenfeld and Gorton watch for a couple of games and ask each other who's going to go downstairs and give AV. a slap and tell him to put Staal and his lessor responsibilities on his off side and put your best defenseman back in his best position to succeed on his strong side. Now maybe the Rangers can see if it's going to work. I know others don't like the pair but give it a chance with Staal on his off side. Realistically he is the best and frankly only option if they have any playoff success dreams. Staal has to step it up. He's capable and a far better 22 minute a night option than Girardi, and just might enable McDonagh to get all the way back to his previous best level of play. But you can almost bet he won't leave them together when Girardi comes back.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-03-19 6:33 PM (#668854 - in reply to #668758)

Scorer

It is hard to let a coach go with so much success, & it is obviously the players like the coach, so it is not an easy move for a GM to make. But, I wonder if an early playoff exit may mean just that, but probably not likely. The thing that is working against the Rangers & in favor of AV is that the East is such a Beast. Which team do you loose to where one can say that's the team they should have beaten ... not many.
robstones
Posted 2017-03-19 7:51 PM (#668855 - in reply to #668758)

Legend

I don't know that the coach is at fault..... The team's biggest flaws are what? They're soft?

The players we have aren't going to hit harder for a new coach. Fast is going to be Fast no matter who you bring in.

Girardi isn't going to turn the puck over less for some other coach.

I could see firing Arniel for a pathetic power play.

But the system works. This is a good team, and quite frankly AV deserves a little more credit then he's getting because they don't have stars.

Nash and Lundqvist..... Zuccarello is a rock star if you're a Rangers fan, or Norwegian, but that's about it.

JT Miller... Kevin Hayes.... Chris Kreider... Brady Skjei.... that's the new "core" of this team. That's who they're going to build around
Rranger
Posted 2017-03-19 8:01 PM (#668856 - in reply to #668854)

Scorer

LeetchyMrRanger - 2017-03-19 5:33 PM

It is hard to let a coach go with so much success, & it is obviously the players like the coach, so it is not an easy move for a GM to make. But, I wonder if an early playoff exit may mean just that, but probably not likely. The thing that is working against the Rangers & in favor of AV is that the East is such a Beast. Which team do you loose to where one can say that's the team they should have beaten ... not many.

Replacing him is a issue. There are not a bunch of candidates out there if any. The Rangers have a deep set of forwards. Some beefing up on the D and they are right up there. Is AV the guy to get them over the hump? I don't think so, but how do you get rid of him without a quality replacement available.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-03-20 1:43 AM (#668857 - in reply to #668794)

Legend

PV29 - 2017-03-18 8:18 PM

Julien will once again kick AV's ass in the playoffs with a bigger, stronger team. The Gum Chomping Moron (TGCM) will never change his flawed plan.

Didn't someone here start using a "no more gum chewing" signature right after Renney was canned? If memory serves, the person still has it.
sureshore
Posted 2017-03-20 9:12 AM (#668864 - in reply to #668845)

Scorer

Rranger - 2017-03-19 2:19 PM

His lineup decisions are often puzzling, but not when you realize it's about putting his boys in place. Others you wonder wtf? His latest in my mind is Staal and McDonagh. Last season when Girardi was so bad and kept getting thrown out there with McDonagh I wanted to see Staal tried with McD but nope keep throwing Girardi out there til we are bounced first round. Of course that's not the only reason but it certainly helped speed up the exit.
So finally this season he's missing Girardi and Klein and tried Skjei, Clendening, Smith and Holden with little success. Finally the light goes on and coach decides I'll try Staal with McDonagh. Although I'm more inclined to believe Shoenfeld or Gorton gave him a slap and told him too. So coach puts his thinking cap on and asks himself how he can screw it up. And comes up with the plan to play his best skating, best shooting, best passing, best defenseman on his off side and puts his defensive defenseman who you just want to look after the front of the net and chip the puck to a forward or out of the zone, and stay out of McD's way on his strong side. You can't make this up. So Schoenfeld and Gorton watch for a couple of games and ask each other who's going to go downstairs and give AV. a slap and tell him to put Staal and his lessor responsibilities on his off side and put your best defenseman back in his best position to succeed on his strong side. Now maybe the Rangers can see if it's going to work. I know others don't like the pair but give it a chance with Staal on his off side. Realistically he is the best and frankly only option if they have any playoff success dreams. Staal has to step it up. He's capable and a far better 22 minute a night option than Girardi, and just might enable McDonagh to get all the way back to his previous best level of play. But you can almost bet he won't leave them together when Girardi comes back.

Couldn't agree less. Staal is now a 'hold my breath till his shift is over" defenseman. He will get 22 minutes because he rarely clears the zone when pressured and when he does it results in an icing. His "outlet passes" are more often great passes to the opposing team resulting in longer shifts for everyone out there or odd man rushes when the bad changes are happening. I certainly don't want Girardi back with McD, but I'd take Skjei, Smith, Klein (when he recovers) or even Holden as a last resort over either of our 'assistant captain' defensemen.

Edited by sureshore 2017-03-20 10:36 AM
concust
Posted 2017-03-20 12:30 PM (#668870 - in reply to #668758)

Legend

I don't mind Staal on the right side, I didn't think it was terrible. (FYI "Not terrible" is the new standard for our defense) I think overall it limits how much he has to do with the puck, and he's a better option there than either Girardi or Klein.

You could put Skjei there but then that causes matchup problems on the other pairs, namely, you're going to end up creating a pair that has zero possession ability and will end up either icing it all the time or throwing it out to the neutral zone. I don't think Staal is the best partner for McDonagh, but, the pair may lead to the best balance overall among 6 defenseman, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

On a separate level I do like that AV is trying different combinations now that it's garbage time in the season. He should be doing this more with forwards too but we can't ever figure out what is going through AV's head.

sureshore
Posted 2017-03-20 1:29 PM (#668871 - in reply to #668870)

Scorer

concust - 2017-03-20 2:30 PM

I don't mind Staal on the right side, I didn't think it was terrible. (FYI "Not terrible" is the new standard for our defense) I think overall it limits how much he has to do with the puck, and he's a better option there than either Girardi or Klein.

You could put Skjei there but then that causes matchup problems on the other pairs, namely, you're going to end up creating a pair that has zero possession ability and will end up either icing it all the time or throwing it out to the neutral zone. I don't think Staal is the best partner for McDonagh, but, the pair may lead to the best balance overall among 6 defenseman, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

On a separate level I do like that AV is trying different combinations now that it's garbage time in the season. He should be doing this more with forwards too but we can't ever figure out what is going through AV's head.

Well reasoned response - I guess I just prefer no Staal at all, but that's not going to happen - not with the other problems back there. I swear he's never been the same since the eye injury.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-03-20 2:07 PM (#668872 - in reply to #668855)

Scorer

robstones - 2017-03-19 7:51 PM

I don't know that the coach is at fault..... The team's biggest flaws are what? They're soft?

The players we have aren't going to hit harder for a new coach. Fast is going to be Fast no matter who you bring in.

Girardi isn't going to turn the puck over less for some other coach.

I could see firing Arniel for a pathetic power play.

But the system works. This is a good team, and quite frankly AV deserves a little more credit then he's getting because they don't have stars.

Nash and Lundqvist..... Zuccarello is a rock star if you're a Rangers fan, or Norwegian, but that's about it.

JT Miller... Kevin Hayes.... Chris Kreider... Brady Skjei.... that's the new "core" of this team. That's who they're going to build around

Agreed on the core of the team except you forgot Vesey and Buch
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-03-20 2:35 PM (#668873 - in reply to #668758)

All-Star

Also look at Columbus...Who's the Gordie Howe on that team? nobody...But they are big and can play physical...it seems to be working
PV29
Posted 2017-03-20 3:48 PM (#668875 - in reply to #668758)

Legend

I'd rather have the depth and young talent that the Rangers have than a team with one or two "stars" with a middling supporting cast.

No excuses, the Rangers have enough talent to play with most anyone. Stevie Wonder could see what their deficiency is, but AV is either oblivious (seems unlikely) or too damn stubborn to address the problem beyond recalling Glass for 3 games. AV is largely in charge of personnel decisions, it's HIS lineup.

Perhaps he's determined to prove virtually every professional media commentator-reporter wrong when they say that the Rangers are not physical enough on defense and up front to survive the playoff grind. Especially when their likely first round opponent (the Habs) spent the deadline replacing 25% of their forwards with big, physical players. Who then proceeded to hammer and intimidate the Rangers several nights after the deadline at MSG.

Just because a suitable replacement is not immediately apparent is no excuse for not ****canning this guy in the offseason. Especially if they get thumped in the first round. Again. It's probably BETTER that there isn't some famous, attractive coach waiting for a job out there right now. It would be better for them to get a hungry coach looking to make a name for himself to take over.
Rranger
Posted 2017-03-20 4:59 PM (#668876 - in reply to #668864)

Scorer

sureshore - 2017-03-20 8:12 AM

Rranger - 2017-03-19 2:19 PM

Couldn't agree less. Staal is now a 'hold my breath till his shift is over" defenseman. He will get 22 minutes because he rarely clears the zone when pressured and when he does it results in an icing. His "outlet passes" are more often great passes to the opposing team resulting in longer shifts for everyone out there or odd man rushes when the bad changes are happening. I certainly don't want Girardi back with McD, but I'd take Skjei, Smith, Klein (when he recovers) or even Holden as a last resort over either of our 'assistant captain' defensemen.

Sorry don't agree with you assessment at all. Staal playing right side is a better option than Girardi, Holden has been exposed time and again lately, Klein can not handle first pair minutes. Skjei has been fine but also less exposed on the third pair and not ready for that responsibility. Staal Is almost always out against top players and I don't see him giving any more goals up than McDonagh who's been sloppy lately. The Rangers as a collective group spend a lot of time in their end running around chasing the puck. I think Stepan's line spent more time in the Rangers end last game than the offensive zone, at least it seemed like it.
Smith I like but he also got exposed playing first pair minutes and on his off side. Still think Staal is best option on the Rangers.
Rranger
Posted 2017-03-20 5:01 PM (#668877 - in reply to #668875)

Scorer

PV29 - 2017-03-20 2:48 PM

I'd rather have the depth and young talent that the Rangers have than a team with one or two "stars" with a middling supporting cast.

No excuses, the Rangers have enough talent to play with most anyone. Stevie Wonder could see what their deficiency is, but AV is either oblivious (seems unlikely) or too damn stubborn to address the problem beyond recalling Glass for 3 games. AV is largely in charge of personnel decisions, it's HIS lineup.

Perhaps he's determined to prove virtually every professional media commentator-reporter wrong when they say that the Rangers are not physical enough on defense and up front to survive the playoff grind. Especially when their likely first round opponent (the Habs) spent the deadline replacing 25% of their forwards with big, physical players. Who then proceeded to hammer and intimidate the Rangers several nights after the deadline at MSG.

Just because a suitable replacement is not immediately apparent is no excuse for not ****canning this guy in the offseason. Especially if they get thumped in the first round. Again. It's probably BETTER that there isn't some famous, attractive coach waiting for a job out there right now. It would be better for them to get a hungry coach looking to make a name for himself to take over.

In my post above I was implying not firing now.
After the season all bets are off, tie a can to his azz and find the best available replacement.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-03-20 7:17 PM (#668879 - in reply to #668758)

Scorer

If the Rangers play in the West, I would pick them to come out. There is not 1 team that scares you over there. Hawks? May be. Minny? No way, they are in a tailspin now. Sharks? No. I can't even name 1 good goalie from the West now that (what's his name) in LA is hurt. But, in the East not so much. It is going to be hell to make it out of the East this year. But, I'm picking an East team to win again, goalies in the West suck.
Rranger
Posted 2017-03-20 8:17 PM (#668885 - in reply to #668879)

Scorer

LeetchyMrRanger - 2017-03-20 6:17 PM

If the Rangers play in the West, I would pick them to come out. There is not 1 team that scares you over there. Hawks? May be. Minny? No way, they are in a tailspin now. Sharks? No. I can't even name 1 good goalie from the West now that (what's his name) in LA is hurt. But, in the East not so much. It is going to be hell to make it out of the East this year. But, I'm picking an East team to win again, goalies in the West suck.

I hadn't given the west much of a thought. You make some very good points.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-03-20 11:05 PM (#668886 - in reply to #668879)

Legend

LeetchyMrRanger - 2017-03-20 9:17 PM

Quick is no longer hurt. However, Cam Talbot has racked up over 30 wins in Edmonton.
concust
Posted 2017-03-21 7:50 AM (#668888 - in reply to #668886)

Legend

Mjolnir - 2017-03-21 12:05 AM

Quick is no longer hurt. However, Cam Talbot has racked up over 30 wins in Edmonton.

Talbot deserves a Vezina nomination.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-03-21 11:32 AM (#668894 - in reply to #668758)

Scorer

That's fine good for him & the slickless oils. I guess now we have to hear how they are the next great team. Wonderful. I guess drafting in the Top 5-10 for about 30 years & what like 4 or 5 in a row #1 overall, sooner or later even they can improve. This being said that McDavid is one that comes once every 10-20 years, he is for real.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-03-21 12:06 PM (#668897 - in reply to #668758)

Legend

No one said anything about anyone in the West being "the next great team"...as long as Gary & the Girly Men insist on tampering with the game, there will be no "next great team", at least not one that lasts more than a season or two.

You said "goalies in the west suck" (excluding Quick). I merely pointed out that Talbot was not a western goalie who sucked.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-03-21 12:08 PM (#668898 - in reply to #668879)

Legend

Rangers wouldn't have it any easier in the West than the East...probably harder....there may not be any scary teams, but the one thing most of the teams in the West have in common is that they are physical. 'nuff said.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-03-21 4:47 PM (#668907 - in reply to #668758)

Scorer

No, I agree with you Talbot has done well, good for him, he is a very likeable player, nice guy. I am very happy for him. He is right up there now in the West.

I think the slickless oils will be tough in a few years, all those picks, & this McDavid is just scary. And, what he is 19?

P.S.: Those that believe in conspiracy theories when the slickless oils won that lottery, rumor was they were not gonna let him out of Canada & save that team in the process. That's what some hockey insiders were throwing around @ that time.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2017-03-21 4:52 PM
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-03-21 4:55 PM (#668909 - in reply to #668907)

Legend

LeetchyMrRanger - 2017-03-21 6:47 PM

I think the slickless oils will be tough in a few years, all those picks, & this McDavid is just scary. And, what he is 19?

P.S.: Those that believe in conspiracy theories when the slickless oils won that lottery, rumor was they were not gonna let him out of Canada & save that

Their two biggest weaknesses over the past few years has been goaltending and defense...they addressed the goaltending...if they manage to put together a decent D, they'll be deadly.

You're right about McDavid....WOW!!
Blue404
Posted 2017-03-22 5:07 PM (#669015 - in reply to #668758)

Legend

Every time I read word Vezina I see Vagina.Has a nice ring to it.
Blue404
Posted 2017-03-22 5:12 PM (#669018 - in reply to #668758)

Legend

OK seriously.
Vezina for Talbot and Vagina for Av.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-03-23 9:23 AM (#669300 - in reply to #668758)

All-Star

AV sucks...Bazooka Joe, Double Mint, TGCM....Blows up our best line to insert Rover Albert the ball chasing puppy scrub into the lineup.....He refuses to address Stepan..who is almost becoming a liability out there...He hasn't kicked Zib in the ass either to get him going. Kreider is invisible too many nights...The special teams are a mess....It is becoming more obvious the Mac is not Captain material...This is all on AV. We need Klein and Girardi back...Altho Girardi scares me out there...We also need our A1 Goalie back...Wake up AV...or sleep now in the fire.
Rranger
Posted 2017-03-24 6:12 PM (#669330 - in reply to #668758)

Scorer

Lines at practice today.

Chris Kreider, Derek Stepan, Mats Zuccarello
Jimmy Vesey, Mika Zibanejad, Rick Nash
Michael Grabner, Kevin Hayes, JT Miller
Pavel Buchnevich, Oscar Lindberg, Jesper Fast
4:05PM: At Rangers practice in LA today, the defense pairs being used are (Brooks):

Ryan McDonagh & Dan Girardi
Marc Staal & Nick Holden
Brady Skjei & Brendan Smith

8 games left and double mint is still mixing lines. Same M.O. Last season coming down the stretch. Zero continuity. Girardi back with McDonagh to save the day. Smith on the third pair. Guess he's been hitting to much.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-03-24 6:19 PM (#669331 - in reply to #668758)

All-Star

AV chews...Maybe Smitty can stop Skjei from being so much of an adventure out there...What happens when Klein gets back? At least Double Mint put the 3rd line back together..hopefully
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-03-24 8:41 PM (#669332 - in reply to #668758)

Scorer

Well, I've posted my doubts also, but he doesn't suck. He is turning out to be Roger Nielson Part 2 (reg season coach success). I don't think it is really his fault, but I don't think they can win it this year. I think they even had a much better season then what most had this team doing. Unless some teams get knocked out how do you go through Craps, Crybabies, even that team in Ohio, Habs with Price?, Boston is still solid, Sensless are a solid team. And, then you have who ever it is that makes it out of the West, though no one in the West is scary & goalies are average to really stinky over there. It has been another successful, fun year, we can't deny that fact, but I don't see how they can win it this year.
PV29
Posted 2017-03-25 4:28 PM (#669340 - in reply to #668758)

Legend

AV is NOTHING like Roger Neilson. NOTHING. Roger understood the need for balance on the team and on his lines. And he recognized the need for toughness. He dressed and played guys like Kris King, Domi, Kocur, Nilan. AV woulda scratched those players, even back in the late 80's and early 90's. Roger also knew how to develop rookies like Leetch, Granato, Amonte, Turcotte. AV benches the young upcoming stars rather than teaching them to develop.

Roger did more with less, on the Rangers and in Vancouver. May he rest in peace, he would take this current team to the conf finals or beyond. With all the talent up front and in goal, he'd add some toughness and get this team to play aggressive, physical, team defense. The only similarity between Roger and AV is that they've both had the privilege to be behind the Blueshirts bench at MSG. The similarities end there.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-03-25 4:58 PM (#669341 - in reply to #668758)

All-Star

King and Domi for Eddie O....I still hate that trade
Rranger
Posted 2017-03-25 5:40 PM (#669342 - in reply to #668758)

Scorer

Nielsons teams also knew how to play defense.
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-03-25 6:19 PM (#669344 - in reply to #668758)

Scorer

Talking about playoffs specifically, Mess knew it, & had him replaced. Nielson was a reg season coach. Man, I can't believe I remember this as it seems so long ago, but I remember I stopped watching Rangers told myself until Roger is replaced. I could stand anymore his everything is ok, nonchalant approach. A great hockey man, did a lot for the game of hockey, but never did go all the way. Reminds me of some one? :-)

But, with AV, the lack of toughness on all his teams is a problem he never sees nor addresses for some reason.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2017-03-25 6:24 PM
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software