Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

OFFICIAL: Rangers sign UFA G Chris Nell (NCAA)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

concust
Posted 2017-03-24 12:02 PM (#669320)
Subject: OFFICIAL: Rangers sign UFA G Chris Nell (NCAA)

Legend

News from yesterday:

New York Rangers ?@NYRangers
OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with free agent goaltender Chris Nell. Nell, 22, appeared in 34 games with @BGathletics this season.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/wcha/2017/3/23/15039924/chris-nell-...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-03-24 3:11 PM (#669326 - in reply to #669320)
Subject: Re: OFFICIAL: Rangers sign UFA G Chris Nell (NCAA)

MVP

If he hasn't made it now........With Ginger, Halverson, Hellberg and Shertskin in the pipeline he has his work cut out for him. Website said he can be a very good pro goalie....I remember when HF said there is no reason that Hugh Jessiman will not be a premier power forward in the NHL
PV29
Posted 2017-03-25 12:19 PM (#669334 - in reply to #669320)

Legend

Dammit! Got my hopes up. I thought this said that they signed Chris NEIL from the Sens.

Don't do that to me!

Rranger
Posted 2017-03-25 3:54 PM (#669337 - in reply to #669320)

All-Star

Lol @ PV easy big fella. Deep breaths.
Who knows why, Wall can be added to Mikey's list. Pretty deep, but maybe not so deep as some might be going. Hellberg and Skapski contracts are both up after the season, might be a hint.
concust
Posted 2017-03-27 9:32 AM (#669736 - in reply to #669320)

Legend

Halverson has not had a good year. Hellberg by my estimation is an AHL goalie. Skapski's progress has also stalled. Jeff Malcolm can't even crack the AHL. No disrespect to these guys, being a legitimate NHL goaltender is one of the hardest positions to get and keep in all of sports.

Shesterkin's had a great year, so there's that. But overall I'm much less impressed with NYR prospect goaltending depth at the end of this year, than I was at the beginning of the year. Nell's signing helps bolster that a bit, if by no other reason, that it gives them another card in the deck.

My guess is they end up trading Raanta (expansion) and moving on from either Halverson or Skapski. It's possible they keep both but if they only keep one, I like Halverson's game a lot better.
Rranger
Posted 2017-03-27 7:37 PM (#669768 - in reply to #669736)

All-Star

concust - 2017-03-27 8:32 AM

Halverson has not had a good year. Hellberg by my estimation is an AHL goalie. Skapski's progress has also stalled. Jeff Malcolm can't even crack the AHL. No disrespect to these guys, being a legitimate NHL goaltender is one of the hardest positions to get and keep in all of sports.

Shesterkin's had a great year, so there's that. But overall I'm much less impressed with NYR prospect goaltending depth at the end of this year, than I was at the beginning of the year. Nell's signing helps bolster that a bit, if by no other reason, that it gives them another card in the deck.

My guess is they end up trading Raanta (expansion) and moving on from either Halverson or Skapski. It's possible they keep both but if they only keep one, I like Halverson's game a lot better.

Agreed on the Pro goalies. Wouldn't be surprised to see Skapski and Hellberg not receiving contract renewals. Tyler Wall and Adam Huska are both in the amateur incubator and may yet turn into something. Wall has had a good season.
concust
Posted 2017-03-28 7:20 AM (#669776 - in reply to #669768)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-03-27 8:37 PM

concust - 2017-03-27 8:32 AM

Agreed on the Pro goalies. Wouldn't be surprised to see Skapski and Hellberg not receiving contract renewals. Tyler Wall and Adam Huska are both in the amateur incubator and may yet turn into something. Wall has had a good season.

I don't know much about the amateurs aside from their stat lines, both look respectable. They're so young, and goaltenders notoriously develop late. They've got a few years before they should even think about turning pro.

One thing I will say though, is I'm glad the Rangers are finally doing what I've been advocating for years - spend a couple of late round picks every year on a goalie or two that the scouts are high on. Goalies are harder to read at such a young age, stop spending high picks on them (Montoya) and take your chances with quantity in the later rounds.

Look at all the recent Rangers goaltenders - Lundqvist, round 7. Raanta, undrafted. Talbot, undrafted. Valiquette, 8th round.

Conversely, look at the goalies that the Rangers have drafted in the top 3 rounds - Halverson, Antoine Lafleur, Montoya. Halverson still has some time to turn it around for sure, but after a bad season he's got his work cut out for him.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software