Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Game 79: Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Rangers 4/2/17 - 7:30pm - NBCSN
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 8 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

PV29
Posted 2017-04-03 1:38 PM (#670705 - in reply to #670694)
Subject: Re: Game 79: Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Rangers 4/2/17 - 7:30pm - NBCSN

Legend

Rranger - 2017-04-03 12:45 PM

I and many others are not saying the Rangers are cup contenders by benching Fast, just that his value is overblown because a coach gushes about his play, that his game has been elevated to a level his play doesn't come close to matching. Which really makes one wonder what Coach see's, because its all in the game video. But others are allowed game after game to commit unpunished bonehead plays, so I'm not suprised. Watch him closely, watch what hes doing away from the puck, most times he's running around looking like the hardest working player on the ice, while accomplishing nothing, and usually out of position while doing so. Vesey or Buchnevich should not be sitting while he plays. For that matter Glass and his game will be of far more value in the playoffs than Fast. Thats my bitch about Fast, no cups by benching him, just better.

Exactly! And to take it one step further, I think they actually COULD BE a Cup contender if they added some balance to their superior talent and skill.

They have the deepest set of forwards of any team not named Caps or Pens. Despite all the bitching about Stepan, Nash, Zib, etc., there are four 20-goal scorers and several guys who could break out in the playoffs.

They have a Hall of Fame goalie who still has a playoff run or two left in his tank.

They have McDonagh and Skjei, two gifted defensemen who skate and handle the puck better than many in the league.

They have a 4th line center (Lindberg) who combines youth, some size, some hitting, with some offense. If you gave him two burly wingers that hit and crash the net the 4th line would be deadly in the playoffs.

The problem is that ****ing AV won't deviate from his mindset and refuses to add that needed physical game to the 4th line and the defense. And the level of frustration cited by Andy and others is due to the fact that the window on Henrik is closing quickly and there's no time to be wasted dicking around with Jesper Fast, Staal, Holden and Girardi. The opportunity to steal a Cup is right there and they're allowing AV to piss it away.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mcphee
Posted 2017-04-03 5:25 PM (#670710 - in reply to #670705)
Subject: Re: Game 79: Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Rangers 4/2/17 - 7:30pm - NBCSN

Prospect

PV29 - 2017-04-03 3:38 PM

I and many others are not saying the Rangers are cup contenders by benching Fast, just that his value is overblown because a coach gushes about his play, that his game has been elevated to a level his play doesn't come close to matching. Which really makes one wonder what Coach see's, because its all in the game video. But others are allowed game after game to commit unpunished bonehead plays, so I'm not suprised. Watch him closely, watch what hes doing away from the puck, most times he's running around looking like the hardest working player on the ice, while accomplishing nothing, and usually out of position while doing so. Vesey or Buchnevich should not be sitting while he plays. For that matter Glass and his game will be of far more value in the playoffs than Fast. Thats my bitch about Fast, no cups by benching him, just better.

They have a 4th line center (Lindberg) who combines youth, some size, some hitting, with some offense. If you gave him two burly wingers that hit and crash the net the 4th line would be deadly in the playoffs.

The problem is that ****ing AV won't deviate from his mindset and refuses to add that needed physical game to the 4th line and the defense. And the level of frustration cited by Andy and others is due to the fact that the window on Henrik is closing quickly and there's no time to be wasted dicking around with Jesper Fast, Staal, Holden and Girardi. The opportunity to steal a Cup is right there and they're allowing AV to piss it away.

On the money.My problem with the coach is it's his way or no way.He's got that skating mindset,and has no clue about the physical part of the game.It's particularly annoying in that if he was the coach,when he himself was a player in the league,he would never see the ice.If the opponent can skate near to our level,and is very physical,this team has no chance.If the opponent is able to clog the neutral zone,this team has very little chance.If they had a few more guys that could play the lunch pail,mucking game this team would be some much better off.Why didn't this team offer a sixth round pick to the Red Wings in order to get a guy like Ott,who is sorely needed here.
Rranger
Posted 2017-04-03 6:21 PM (#670712 - in reply to #670698)

Scorer

Andy Bathgate - 2017-04-03 10:27 AM

Andy Bathgate - 2017-04-03 5:52 AM

The reality is, this team was picked to miss the playoffs by many NHL experts, they were on a down trend throwing away draft picks and signing these ridicules contracts to help improve the PP and Hank is getting older, need to win now moves.

They somehow had a quick start, and blew teams away with their new found speed... but the league caught up to them and now they are a bit better than average... they had a nice season...

... the thought that this team is a Stanley Cup team if they only benched Fast, Steps, made Miller the captain and fired AV is not reality... its X-Box hockey.

Lower your expectations a bit, accept reality, that they are who they are, from the owner, to the scouts, to the GM, to the coaches and players... and you may actually enjoy what they've done this year.

The Stepan benching is on few on here, although moving him around during his slump might not have been a bad idea. But Stepan is one of the unpunishable annointed ones so that wasn't going to happen.
I dont remember much talk about the Rangers not expected to make the playoffs Andy, but experts are just as much wrong as right. Im not a positive A.V. fan at all. I watched closely the same act in Vancouver. And its the same B.S everybodys fault but his. To hear him he has perfect practices, meetings,and the perfect gameplan and players just don't execute his perfect system. Its never on him. Its his job to get players to execute a game plan. If its a first round blowout, he should defintely be in the principals office at seasons end.

What can I say, I respect your opinion but disagree... or don't see it the way you do.

The Rangers are mish mash of players, young and learning, under achievers, over achievers, old and slowing. I don't love AV.... but for the last ten years I've been on this forum it's the same complaints about the coaches in general. No coach is ever going to make you happy... you don't spend 10 hours a day watching films, on the ice with the team or privy to any of the personal relationships and dynamics.. you (and I mean we) see the camera follow the puck for 60 minutes.

I'm sure, and would put money on it, that if you sat with AV for a few hours, and he showed you film, on things we never see on TV, and broke down every one of your questions, you would walk out with a completely different point of view... I tend to trust the coaches more than, fans that throw fits every time a player gets benched or lines are changed.

With that said... I'm not particularly crazy about AV's overall style because it does take away from the physical aspect and relies more on speed, pinpoint passes and tremendous positioning responsibilities.. and players are way more prone to making mistakes. But he has done some good here.

and if they do get blown-out in the first round, perhaps he should be in the principals office.... Still doesn't mean a new coach is going to swing in here and do any better... still a mish mash team of softies with contract problems... just a new whipping boy for fans to thrash.

We differ on the players, I don't think the players are a mishmash up front, that's a pretty deep talented group of forwards. No super stars but some pretty good players. And relatively young. The defense not so much, but maybe better if the super av system was tailored to their skill set instead of trying to turn guys like Girardi, Staal, Klein and Holden into what he wants, instead of what they are.
When I look back at his teams and how they play it's one big consistent merry go round of same old same old. His defensive zone "system" which allows both defensemen behind the net with no wait or check to make sure a forward has the front of the net, has given up bushels of goals since he got here. But no change. Odd since the forwards are often slow in getting back to cover, and by then opponent forwards are in front of our net, and between our D and our Forwards crowding our net. Between the forwards having to cover the front of the net and try to cover the point men to, it's no wonder they look like chickens running around with the their heads cut off.
Not to many teams do that, sticking to the strong side d and first forward back to help out on he puck side below the goal line. Always leaving the weak side Dman in front of their net, to "gasp" make life difficult on opposing forwards. . Some teams still only allowing the centre behind their own goal line instead of the first forward back. Vigneaults system takes a tremendous commitment and is hard on forwards often having to go from the goal crease and out to meet opposing dman launching bombs at the net from the top of the circle. Not to mention opposing forwards left untouched in front of the Ranger net. Personally I think his dzone system sucks.

As far as video goes it is what it is. Forwards are usually always in the screen, I've watched game tapes, and know how to watch a player who's not in the middle of the play. So I don't think coach is going to show me Fast doing much more than I see now. Anyways not trying to get into a big argument on here just telling you what I see.

Edited by Rranger 2017-04-03 10:21 PM
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-04-03 7:51 PM (#670713 - in reply to #670448)

All-Star

The Plot thickens in the Atalntic
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-04-04 12:47 PM (#670728 - in reply to #670448)

All-Star

Schedule makers hit the Lotto tonight
NTHockey
Posted 2017-04-04 1:51 PM (#670729 - in reply to #670670)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2017-04-02 10:49 PM

1 Cup in 74 years will get people hot under the collar from time to time lol

For Toronto, this will be year FIFTY without the Cup. They might just beat our record for futility.

Funny how the press doesn't report on the Maple Leafs futility; yet the Rangers got it every playoff year.
Jump to page : < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Now viewing page 8 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software