Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time to take the long view
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Tyutin in the Staal
Posted 2017-04-18 8:54 AM (#671813)
Subject: Time to take the long view

Rookie

Did anyone happen to catch any of the Leaf’s OT win over the Caps? Wow! Great energy and a great crowd. Yes Leaf fans have suffered almost as much as we have – closing in on our record of 54 years without a Cup. Five more years and the record will go to TO, but wait, my sense is that their rebuild has gone incredibly well and we may indeed maintain the record. Must be exciting to be a Leaf’s fan after all of the dark aimless years…

I think we have to be thankful for some very good Rangers hockey over the past several years, a run to the Cup finals, a President’s trophy, multiple 100 point seasons and some good success in the playoffs until last year and this year. The sad reality is that it seems every team needs to go through some lean years in order to truly build a Cup worth contender. I think we’re seeing the changing of the guard and the Leafs and Oilers will be two dominant teams for many years to come. By the way, how about the Cam Talbot, eh? I digress…

Recognizing the NYR will likely not even content for the playoffs next year, message to Gorton – KEEP YOUR DRAFT PICKS! There is no quick fix given Lundqvist’s age, our deplorables on D and a very soft offense. So, Gorton, please start the process by:

• Dealing Stepan before his no-trade clause kicks in, please!
• Try to find a taker for the final four years and $34m of Lundqvist’s contract, good luck!
• Defense. Wow, your hands are tied here. Try to get Staal and/or Girardi to waive their no-trade clause. We need at least one of them to be gone, but the buyout route is not desirable.
• Try to move Klein as well, probably waited one year too long on this one.

The bottom line is that we must stockpile as many draft picks as possible and try to stay in the first round. My sense is we may have some top 5 or 10 picks coming in the next three to five years. Get ready my fellow Ranger fans, we’ll look back on these days wistfully even though we did not being home the elusive Cup.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-04-18 9:10 AM (#671815 - in reply to #671813)
Subject: Re: Time to take the long view

MVP

You left out Zibinejab
Mandar
Posted 2017-04-18 11:40 AM (#671819 - in reply to #671813)

MVP

flat out ridiculous state of affairs described there.

Let's wager on making the playoffs....not only next year, but for the next few years.

Yes....lets just stock up on draft picks....lots and lots of draft picks.....more draft picks.....even more draft picks. Once you get past the top 5 picks at any point, the rest is a crap shoot. The Leafs and Oilers got generational players as a result of lucky timing, and sucking. Those players don't come around too often. The Oilers didn't make the playoffs for the past 10 years....despite all the draft picks.

There is a wealth of young talent on this club (yes, including the 23 year old Zib....who is obviously talented, but not having a good stretch).

"The sky is falling" posts are legendary here, and little Toots....your OP is weak at best. But yes, must get all the picks....more and more picks.....must stock up.
Steady Eddie
Posted 2017-04-18 12:28 PM (#671821 - in reply to #671813)

MVP

Seriously? Did we officially lose the first round in 3 games?

Should I freeze this thread and bring it back if/when we lose?

Rranger
Posted 2017-04-18 12:57 PM (#671824 - in reply to #671821)

All-Star

Steady Eddie - 2017-04-18 11:28 AM

Seriously? Did we officially lose the first round in 3 games?

Should I freeze this thread and bring it back if/when we lose?

Freeze and bag it and tag it.
concust
Posted 2017-04-19 7:10 PM (#672265 - in reply to #671819)

Legend

Mandar - 2017-04-18 12:40 PM

"The sky is falling" posts are legendary here, and little Toots....your OP is weak at best. But yes, must get all the picks....more and more picks.....must stock up.

I'd be pretty happy if we started out with just "not wasting the picks we get"
Tyutin in the Staal
Posted 2017-04-20 3:37 PM (#672290 - in reply to #671813)

Rookie

It's too early to tell about the classes of 2015 and 2016, but I do think the NYR have generally done better in recent years with the picks they've kept. For example, Igor Shesterkin looks the the heir apparent to Hank, assuming he comes to NY after his KHL contract expires. 2013 delivered Buchnevich and Duclair - still unclear whether Duclair will rediscover his game, last year was a mess for him in AZ. Demonstrating the value of first round picks, our last first rounder was in 2012 and delivered Brady Skjei, not bad I'd say! 2011, JT Miler, again, not bad. 2010, Dylan, yes, this was a reach that didn't pan out. Imagine if we had Cam Fowler... 2009 Chris Kreider, again, not bad at all. The point is, you need to stay in the first round to truly build a strong team. Signing college free agents is hit and miss. We need to rebuild the prospect pipeline, there are not any blue chip prospects in the pipeline at present.
concust
Posted 2017-04-21 10:14 AM (#672766 - in reply to #672290)

Legend

Tyutin in the Staal - 2017-04-20 4:37 PM

It's too early to tell about the classes of 2015 and 2016, but I do think the NYR have generally done better in recent years with the picks they've kept. For example, Igor Shesterkin looks the the heir apparent to Hank, assuming he comes to NY after his KHL contract expires. 2013 delivered Buchnevich and Duclair - still unclear whether Duclair will rediscover his game, last year was a mess for him in AZ. Demonstrating the value of first round picks, our last first rounder was in 2012 and delivered Brady Skjei, not bad I'd say! 2011, JT Miler, again, not bad. 2010, Dylan, yes, this was a reach that didn't pan out. Imagine if we had Cam Fowler... 2009 Chris Kreider, again, not bad at all. The point is, you need to stay in the first round to truly build a strong team. Signing college free agents is hit and miss. We need to rebuild the prospect pipeline, there are not any blue chip prospects in the pipeline at present.

I have to agree... the Rangers staff does a very good job identifying prospects in almost all rounds of the draft, whether it's mid-late first, or third rounders, or those late round steals. Which is why it hurts especially to trade picks away. If we had a poorer drafting record, it wouldn't hurt so badly. I don't think we need to "stock up" on draft picks per se but trading away two seconds and a prospect for Eric Staal is exactly the type of move they shouldn't make.
Rangers 2017
Posted 2017-04-21 10:22 AM (#672767 - in reply to #671813)

Rookie

Instead of taking "the long view" how about we focus on a team that is one home win away from making the 2nd round of the playoffs where they will be favored to make the ECF again. Focus on the youth we do have upfront and on the back end with Skjei.

Focus on those things as we are in the middle of the playoffs, not "the long view". It is NOT time to take "the long view" right now.

Tyutin in the Staal
Posted 2017-04-22 1:20 PM (#672873 - in reply to #671813)

Rookie

I am always rooting for the NYR, I have been since 1972. I hope they will close MTL out tonight. Let's go Rangers!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software