Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ECQF Game 5: New York Rangers @ Montreal Canadiens 4/20/17 - 7pm - MSG/USA/CBC/TVAS
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
Now viewing page 16 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-04-21 6:52 PM (#672820 - in reply to #672819)
Subject: Re: ECQF Game 5: New York Rangers @ Montreal Canadiens 4/20/17 - 7pm - MSG/USA/CBC/TVAS

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2017-04-21 8:38 PM

I remember them wanting AV back, but I think they wanted Luongo and Shneider back more that AV!! I just don't like AV'S coaching style and because of that I find the negatives. I can be honest about that.

Wasn't he fired from Montreal too??

And speaking of overachieving this year, how about the job tortarella did with Colombus. Franchise record in wins!

Torts will be fired. Mark my word. He lost the players... My prediction is Sutter is the new coach of CBJ next year.

That's fine, you don't like his style...I have many questions about some things this team does and wonder if it's AV's style or players not doing what they're supposed to do.

But again, being fired means nothing... how many coaches won cups after their 3,4,5 teams? It sounds like you think being fired, which in some cases is mutual, is a flaw.

Edited by Andy Bathgate 2017-04-21 6:57 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-04-21 7:03 PM (#672822 - in reply to #672820)
Subject: Re: ECQF Game 5: New York Rangers @ Montreal Canadiens 4/20/17 - 7pm - MSG/USA/CBC/TVAS

All-Star

Andy Bathgate - 2017-04-21 6:52 PM

I remember them wanting AV back, but I think they wanted Luongo and Shneider back more that AV!! I just don't like AV'S coaching style and because of that I find the negatives. I can be honest about that.

And speaking of overachieving this year, how about the job tortarella did with Colombus. Franchise record in wins!

Torts will be fired. Mark my word. He lost the players... My prediction is Sutter is the new coach of CBJ next year.

That's fine, you don't like his style...I have many questions about some things this team does and wonder if it's AV's style or players not doing what they're supposed to do.

But again, being fired means nothing... how many coaches won cups after their 3,4,5 teams? It sounds like you think being fired, which in some cases is mutual, is a flaw.

The only coach I can think of is Scotty Boaman....But I don't know if he was fired from his former teams or not...Honestly, do you know of more?
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-04-21 7:08 PM (#672824 - in reply to #672269)

All-Star

I do think being fired is a flaw. Especially when the coach has put together some good winning seasons. You or predicting Tortarella gets fired after he brought Colombus to their most wins in a season. So obviously tortarella has some flaws.

You don't just fire a guy who has a lot of regular season and playoff wins, unless there is a flaw. No?
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-04-21 7:13 PM (#672828 - in reply to #672269)

All-Star

Keenan won with his third team
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-04-21 7:22 PM (#672830 - in reply to #672822)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2017-04-21 9:03 PM

Andy Bathgate - 2017-04-21 6:52 PM

The only coach I can think of is Scotty Boaman....But I don't know if he was fired from his former teams or not...Honestly, do you know of more?

I think its fair to say, that the percentage of Stanley Cup coaches didn't win at their first rodeo... any many coached multiple teams, which they were fired from. Keenan was fired by the Flyers.. Bowman was fired (or mutually agreed) from teams he won the Stanley Cup with.

Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-04-21 7:35 PM (#672831 - in reply to #672824)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2017-04-21 9:08 PM

I do think being fired is a flaw. Especially when the coach has put together some good winning seasons. You or predicting Tortarella gets fired after he brought Colombus to their most wins in a season. So obviously tortarella has some flaws.

You don't just fire a guy who has a lot of regular season and playoff wins, unless there is a flaw. No?

No. Unless he losses teams all the time (Players going to ownership saying fire him or trade me like Hank did with Torts) and gets chased out of town, like Keenan and Torts. This year CBJ players had two interventions with Torts because of his rants and tantrums. My guess, right now, the owner of CBJ has a line of players saying fire him or trade me.

Other than that teams... players - coaches- asst coaches - GMs - scouts - etc... get fired, or move on to other teams all the time, sometimes becoming very successful else where. Doesn't mean they are flawed, it's all about chemistry. Pieces of a puzzle.

Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-04-21 7:41 PM (#672832 - in reply to #672831)

All-Star

Andy Bathgate - 2017-04-21 7:35 PM

No. Unless he losses teams all the time (Players going to ownership saying fire him or trade me like Hank did with Torts) and gets chased out of town, like Keenan and Torts. This year CBJ players had two interventions with Torts because of his rants and tantrums. My guess, right now, the owner of CBJ has a line of players saying fire him or trade me.

Other than that teams... players - coaches- asst coaches - GMs - scouts - etc... get fired, or move on to other teams all the time, sometimes becoming very successful else where. Doesn't mean they are flawed, it's all about chemistry. Pieces of a puzzle.

Coaching is a funny thing I guess.. Tortorella did win a cup at his first rodeo!
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-04-21 7:50 PM (#672834 - in reply to #672832)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2017-04-21 9:41 PM

Coaching is a funny thing I guess.. Tortorella did win a cup at his first rodeo!

Good point, (technically he actually coached the Rangers first) and was fired in TB after winning the cup... because the players hated - despised him.... and this go's to one of my beliefs... sometimes the players and player leadership win despite who's coaching... Messier coached the Rangers to the Cup, after Keenan lost the team.

Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-04-21 8:00 PM (#672835 - in reply to #672834)

All-Star

Andy Bathgate - 2017-04-21 7:50 PM

Good point, (technically he actually coached the Rangers first) and was fired in TB after winning the cup... because the players hated - despised him.... and this go's to one of my beliefs... sometimes the players and player leadership win despite who's coaching... Messier coached the Rangers to the Cup, after Keenan lost the team.

This is why you're a legend

Edited by Rangerjunkie 2017-04-21 8:01 PM
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-04-21 8:03 PM (#672837 - in reply to #672835)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2017-04-21 10:00 PM

Andy Bathgate - 2017-04-21 7:50 PM

This is why you're a legend

Only a Legend because I found this place before you did!

Rangers 2017
Posted 2017-04-21 8:22 PM (#672838 - in reply to #672818)

Rookie

Andy Bathgate - 2017-04-21 6:31 PM

Rangerjunkie - 2017-04-21 8:05 PM

AV had some good playoff seasons with Vancouver and they fired him, there has to be some reason. Just like Tortarella had some good playoff runs with the Rangers and was still fired.

All coaches get fired... all coaches have a shelf life... sometimes a change is just needed... hell, this week Owners have fired both Coach and GM. SUTTER got fired!!! Doesn't make you damaged goods or there is something wrong with your coaching. AV is pretty good coach (record speaks for itself)... has he lost the team and management? who knows, they may love him or hate him... it doesn't matter if he lost the fans, we don't get a vote.

.. and trust me, Vancouver hired Torts right after AV, and the fans were crying for AV back.

I agree with this. Getting fired as a coach isn't some death sentence. All coaches get fired at some point. Belichick got fired. Sutter, winner of multiple cups, got fired. Change is needed after a while.

Rangers 2017
Posted 2017-04-21 8:28 PM (#672839 - in reply to #672269)

Rookie

What did the franchise record for wins do for Torts in the playoffs...blown out in 5 games. And that record was flawed because of their crazy long win streak. Outside of that streak they were a little better than a .500 team, ended the regular season poorly, and went out quick in the playoffs. AV did that last year, Torts did that this year, and missed the playoffs last year, and missed the playoffs with Vancouver as well.

I think you are being fair junkie. You said you don't like his style and that makes you see his negatives, I respect your honesty. And as I have said, I don't love AV either. He is a good solid coach though. His playoff wins, his regular season results, his 2 SCF's, and CF runs show that. Is he perfect...no. Is he Babcock...no. But he is a good solid coach I think. And I say that as a guy who isn't a huge AV fan, I am simply trying to be fair in my assessment of him based on his results.

With that said the next couple of days and then weeks hopefully will tell us a lot. If they beat Montreal, have to tip your cap to AV. If they make the ECF again not sure how anyone can seriously knock a coach who would have 3 ECF's at least in 4 seasons with the NYR. And if they fall apart and lose to Montreal, I will be right on board with everyone on this board getting on AV.

Edited by Rangers 2017 2017-04-21 8:33 PM
DaTeL
Posted 2017-04-21 11:40 PM (#672840 - in reply to #672269)

Legend

Just for the record, I never said AV picked ALL the players. But who cares, right?

I also wasn't talking about 100+ points or making the playoffs. I simply stated that the coach has a job to do and I expect him to do his job without blatant blunders. I grew up in a world where that's realistic.

Sometimes with this coach, you shake your head for hours.

Steady Eddie
Posted 2017-04-22 6:34 AM (#672842 - in reply to #672840)

MVP

Not sure if anyone noticed, but I've watched the OT goal a few times. Did you see the frog behind Zibanejad during the celebration? Watch at the end of the clip, the frog with the foam finger, and the other finger. Bwahahaha...

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-04-22 7:21 AM (#672843 - in reply to #672842)

MVP

Steady Eddie - 2017-04-22 6:34 AM

Not sure if anyone noticed, but I've watched the OT goal a few times. Did you see the frog behind Zibanejad during the celebration? Watch at the end of the clip, the frog with the foam finger, and the other finger. Bwahahaha...

Ha ha Ha F him....Lets hope we get him even more mad tonight! LGR!
PV29
Posted 2017-04-22 8:05 AM (#672845 - in reply to #672820)

Legend

Andy Bathgate - 2017-04-21 8:52 PM

Does a coach make a team better than the sum of its parts? Does the team progress forward or continue to have the same shortcomings year after year? That is how you gauge a coach's influence on a team, IMO.

This Rangers team has lots of talent. Rebuilding? That's ridiculous. They were essentially unchanged from the previous three seasons. They swapped Brassard for Zib, and added Vesey, Buch, Skjei and Grabner to replace older free agents like Eric Staal and Yandle. This team had the parts to be a playoff team and they finished exactly where they should have, a wild card team that couldn't catch Washington, Pittsburgh or Columbus in their division.

So does this team progress forward or make the same mistakes every season? In my view they make the same mistakes every season. They overpass the puck, are inconsistent on the PP, make stupid coverage mistakes in their own zone and turn over the puck too much.

Giving AV "credit" for possibly making the second round of the playoffs is hysterical considering that everyone knows that they are only in this position because of the wild card crossover into the Atlantic Division. They were fortunate with the way the standings played out, and most fans were actually rooting for them to NOT overtake Columbus in the standings for just this reason. Again, they right where they should be regardless of the coach, competing in the weaker bracket with a chance to get to the next round.

All that said, it is perfectly objective to say that AV sucks when you consider his "coaching" in the third period of Game 2 that could've lost the series for the Rangers. The series arguably should be over now. Also when you consider that he keeps on playing Holden when anyone with a clue would've scratched him permanently for one of the three healthy Dmen they have available, or when you consider how he split up Skjei/Smith for Game 3.

I'm happy that this team is looking to advance tonight. But I'm not convinced in the least that this group of players couldn't be better over time with a coach that does a better job of maximizing the talent available to him. I see potential in this group for great things with a young corps of players, therefore I'm not "happy" with a second round series and a likely third round exit.
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-04-22 8:43 AM (#672846 - in reply to #672269)

Legend

Again, not the biggest AV fan, but I will not rant on and blame everything on him, we're not behind the scenes, privy to who's hurt, sick etc... why his he playing Holden? Maybe he's left with no other option...makes me a bit angry why Klein isn't playing, but maybe there is a reason, beyond our knowledge... and this goes with any moves the coaches make.

If AV is fired, because all the mistakes you point out are valid, or he loses the players, I'm all down for him being gone. But if the Players and Orginization love him, and understand his moves, because they are privy to the facts... and not just the 60 minutes of puck watching we get, I'm fine with that also.

Rangers 2017
Posted 2017-04-22 8:46 AM (#672847 - in reply to #672269)

Rookie

Funny post PV. IF the Rangers win tonight, and IF the Rangers advance to the ECF AGAIN under AV, should we really be giving credit to the head coach for making at least the ECF in 3 of his 4 seasons here. It is funny man.

It is so not grounded in realty, but it is funny though.

The better position for you would be to say yes I know the results have been there (again I am playing the IF game right now saying IF we make the ECF again under AV), but I am just not a fan of his. I know the results have been there, but I don't like how he runs things.

That should be your position I think. But to essentially paint a picture that the team wins in spite of him, and he deserves no credit makes it look like you are blinded by AV hate and irrational. It is so not fair to paint that picture.

Just say you don't like AV, you don't like how he runs things, even though we are winning (and OF COURSE the head coach deserves some credit for that like him or not), I still am not a fan and believe we can do better at coach.

If you wrote that I would respect that a lot. But to play it the way you do is not fair. We win but I give our coach no credit. Guy makes 3 ECF's at least in 4 years (again BIG IF still), but I give our coach no credit.

It isn't right man.

Rangers 2017
Posted 2017-04-22 8:50 AM (#672848 - in reply to #672269)

Rookie

Well written AB. IF the Rangers lose to Montreal and exit in round 1 for the second straight season...COUNT ME IN as a person who will be seriously questioning AV's role as coach, especially now that we lead 3-2 and can clinch at home.

But IF we win tonight, and especially IF we make the ECF again, I don't see how we can get on a coach with his track record here.

Rangers 2017
Posted 2017-04-22 8:56 AM (#672849 - in reply to #672269)

Rookie

And BTW on the standings this season and our slot in the playoffs, that was SMART how we played it. Why the F would we want to pass CBJ and play the Pens in round 1 and Caps in round 2? What is the logic there. Due to the asinine NHL playoff seeding system finishing right where we did was the smart play by MILES. Just like it was for the Isles last season, and they made round 2 because of it.

My take is you stay alive as long as possible, and see what happens. IF we get to the ECF against the Pens (or Caps) we'll be a huge underdog. I wouldn't think we'd win that series, but I rather play it in the ECF than round 1. I also rather only play 1 of those teams than both of them. And when you get that far anything can happen. How do we know Malkin or OV or Crosby aren't hurt in round 2? We have no clue what will happen. So give me the easier path, and I'll worry about the Pens/Caps in round 3 IF we are lucky enough to get there.

Rangers 2017
Posted 2017-04-22 9:02 AM (#672850 - in reply to #672269)

Rookie

And last thing PV, I actually respect your comments on our talent level and what you want from this group. Your points are valid there. Where you lose me is you try to separate AV from any of the success and runs we have had under him, and that isn't fair. Just write YES the coach deserves some credit for making multiple ECF runs here (again I am playing the IF we advance to the ECF again), but I am still not a fan and want a change.

Where you lose me is the no credit win in spite of AV stuff. Just not fair man.

Rranger
Posted 2017-04-22 9:32 AM (#672851 - in reply to #672269)

All-Star

Well said PV this rebuild crap is a pathetic attempt to boost a dim witted coaches performance. Look at the no shows for the first half of this series. Hayes, Zibanejad, Miller, Kreider, Stepan, Holden, Grabner (2 goals and all). Not even close to a acceptable level of play. And sadly mostly because of flat out weak effort. Thats six forwards off the top three lines underachieving. When that many players are not mentally ready for the playoffs, somebody is asleep at the switch. The only reason they are in this thing is Lundqvist. They continue to give up odd man rushes and break aways. Pacioretty scores on his break away in the third period and oh what a different tune we'd be hearing on here. In av's famous words Montreal continues to get "the good looks" They get to many tonight and its going to be back to Montreal. Rangers have shown at times that they are the more skilled team, and this shoulda, coulda and woulda been over, with a better effort and attention to detail. Two things that are on the coach.
Rangers 2017
Posted 2017-04-22 9:49 AM (#672852 - in reply to #672269)

Rookie

The transition season is not my opinion or Andy's opinion, those were the comments out there about this team pre-season. You don't have to accept them, that is fair, but understand that was common opinion around the reporters before the season not something I or we just made up.

Here is what I see as the bottom line. Oh something bad happened or AV made a bad decision (as ALLLLLLLLL coaches do), he is awful blame AV. Something good happens or he makes a good decision, no credit for that we are winning in spite of him, and I should give him credit for making "the right" decision.

It is an unwinnable situation for him with you fans. Put Glass in, put Buch in, reworked the lines, given Skjei more of a role, given Smith a good role NO CREDIT that was what he should have done.

So unfair and irrational. And guess what, you guys are 100000000% entitled to those opinions and I respect them, I just wish you would come out and admit that is the case and just say you hate AV and nothing he does will please you (we have already established good results won't do it). You guys write that and I will say cool certainly your right to feel that way even if I disagree.

Edited by Rangers 2017 2017-04-22 9:51 AM
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-04-22 10:07 AM (#672857 - in reply to #672269)

MVP

AV's NYR 21-21 From Jan 1 to the end of the season
Rranger
Posted 2017-04-22 10:40 AM (#672859 - in reply to #672269)

All-Star

If you want to take as verbatim, opinions from people paid to report go for it. News flash they did not have to pass a hockey knowledge qualification test to become your expert opinion. PV's opinions and explanations of the roster and potential is better imo than boneheads who predicted the isles were going to leave the Rangers in their dust after losing Nielson and Okposo. There are as many of your usually uninformed experts who predicted the Rangers doing what they did. You just choose to use what you think supports your weak and "funny" posts.
Rangers 2017
Posted 2017-04-22 11:18 AM (#672861 - in reply to #672269)

Rookie

Couldn't agree with you more on the experts Rr. But that isn't really the point though. You guys give AV no credit for anything. Team gets 100 + points, and if they win tonight have a real solid chance to make the ECF AGAIN under AV. All just dismissed because the expectations you may have had going into the season. Once again not fair, and proves the point that AV simply cannot win with you guys.

Makes good decisions like I called out, oh I won't give him credit because those were moves he should have made.
Experts call this a transition year for the Rangers, yet they still get 100 + points and are on the verge of making round 2, oh I won't give him credit because my expectations were higher.
Made an SCF under AV. Made an ECF under AV. We'll see how this year goes. Oh I won't give him credit because they win in spite of him.
But wait he played Holden in game 2. Or put Smith with Staal, oh he is awful get rid of him.

It is simply not fair or rational. If you guys cannot see that, then all good. I am done with the AV thing. It is going nowhere fast. Most of you in here simply hate the guy and will knock him no matter what. That's all good and you are entitled to your opinions. My only point is admit what it is though, not fair to AV and not really rational the way you guys judge him. Good things mean nothing positive for him/they were obvious things he should have done. Meanwhile bad things are all AV let's rip him.

So I am moving on now to focus on the team hopefully continuing to win in spite of their coach....

Edited by Rangers 2017 2017-04-22 11:19 AM
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-04-22 12:01 PM (#672868 - in reply to #672269)

All-Star

Perfect example of AV...IMO

Last year with Eric Staal,. completely misused him. Look how well Staal's season was this year with Minn.

The reason we can possibly win this series tonight, is the fact that Lundqvist has outplayed Price...That is it!

Montreal leads in shots, face-offs, PP, scoring chances, offensive zone possession.. But give AV credit though, because he started Lundqvist
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-04-22 12:06 PM (#672869 - in reply to #672269)

All-Star

I don't see any great moves or decisions AV has made in this series... Buch in for Glass?? More offense was needed its a no brainer desisicion. Mention of Skeij and Smith being paired together, it was also AV who split them up during the game two loss..

Please explain to me these great coaching decisions!!! Like I said I only see the negatives right now, help me see the positives!

Without Hank this series was over in four games!
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-04-22 12:08 PM (#672870 - in reply to #672269)

All-Star

Sorry to ramble but.....

Is it a smart coaching decision to have Stepan take the offensive zone face-off during a PP when he is less than 20%, (LESS THAN 20%!!!). The Rangers consistently lose 15-20 seconds of PP time because Stepan is a stiff!! The puck gets sent down the ice by Montreal... But AV gets him out there......

Edited by Rangerjunkie 2017-04-22 12:10 PM
PV29
Posted 2017-04-22 12:55 PM (#672871 - in reply to #672847)

Legend

Rangers 2017 - 2017-04-22 10:46 AM

Funny post PV. IF the Rangers win tonight, and IF the Rangers advance to the ECF AGAIN under AV, should we really be giving credit to the head coach for making at least the ECF in 3 of his 4 seasons here. It is funny man.

It is so not grounded in realty, but it is funny though.

The better position for you would be to say yes I know the results have been there (again I am playing the IF game right now saying IF we make the ECF again under AV), but I am just not a fan of his. I know the results have been there, but I don't like how he runs things.

That should be your position I think. But to essentially paint a picture that the team wins in spite of him, and he deserves no credit makes it look like you are blinded by AV hate and irrational. It is so not fair to paint that picture.

Just say you don't like AV, you don't like how he runs things, even though we are winning (and OF COURSE the head coach deserves some credit for that like him or not), I still am not a fan and believe we can do better at coach.

If you wrote that I would respect that a lot. But to play it the way you do is not fair. We win but I give our coach no credit. Guy makes 3 ECF's at least in 4 years (again BIG IF still), but I give our coach no credit.

It isn't right man.

I don't care about what you respect. Last I checked, you're not in charge of what is a valid position on this board. I've pointed out what things/observations I believe show that AV is not the best coach for this very talented team. You disagree, which is fine. I don't expect anyone to agree with everything I post here. And if I'm wrong, that's cool too because watching the Rangers win is more important than my predictions or opinions being "right". But save the preaching about what I should do for someone who gives a ****.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-04-22 3:58 PM (#672879 - in reply to #672839)

All-Star

Rangers 2017 - 2017-04-21 8:28 PM

What did the franchise record for wins do for Torts in the playoffs...blown out in 5 games. And that record was flawed because of their crazy long win streak. Outside of that streak they were a little better than a .500 team, ended the regular season poorly, and went out quick in the playoffs. AV did that last year, Torts did that this year, and missed the playoffs last year, and missed the playoffs with Vancouver as well.

I think you are being fair junkie. You said you don't like his style and that makes you see his negatives, I respect your honesty. And as I have said, I don't love AV either. He is a good solid coach though. His playoff wins, his regular season results, his 2 SCF's, and CF runs show that. Is he perfect...no. Is he Babcock...no. But he is a good solid coach I think. And I say that as a guy who isn't a huge AV fan, I am simply trying to be fair in my assessment of him based on his results.

With that said the next couple of days and then weeks hopefully will tell us a lot. If they beat Montreal, have to tip your cap to AV. If they make the ECF again not sure how anyone can seriously knock a coach who would have 3 ECF's at least in 4 seasons with the NYR. And if they fall apart and lose to Montreal, I will be right on board with everyone on this board getting on AV.

Yeah blown out in 5 games to the same team that blew out your boy AV'S team in the same amount of games last year!!!
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-04-22 4:14 PM (#672883 - in reply to #672269)

All-Star

Record is flawed because of their crazy long win streak??? This makes no sense at all!!

Did they not win those games?

I'd like to see AV make the playoffs with Eddie Lack as his goaltender, and not Luongo, Shneider, or Lundqvist....
Jump to page : < ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
Now viewing page 16 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software