Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How active will the Rangers be this offseason?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-06-09 4:00 AM (#676454)
Subject: How active will the Rangers be this offseason?

All-Star

Jun 8 | 5:42PM

6/8/17 | Elliotte Friedman was on the NHL Network on Thursday afternoon and regarding Kevin Shattenkirk, said, "we've all heard the rumors about the Rangers. I'm really curious about the Rangers direction this summer. I think there is a chance that they could decide to just go young."

6/5/17 | On his podcast, Bob McKenzie was going around the league and giving an overview of how teams may handle the coming offseason and spoke about the Rangers.

McKenzie said, "Keep an eye on the New York Rangers, I think they are going to be very active. Lots of talk about what they might do to continue to transition into a younger team."

It's been speculated that the Rangers could make some big moves this summer.

It was said at times during last year's offseason that the Rangers were expected to be one of the more active teams.

With the cap at $73 million, the Rangers have about $9.2 million in cap space.

Adam Rotter: So much of what the Rangers will or won't be able to do this summer likely revolves around which defensemen the Rangers can move, what they need to give up with those defensemen and what they get back in return. The expansion draft also impacts that and there will be questions about the Rangers core, outside of Staal and Girardi, and if any of those guys will be moved. Kevin Shattenkirk is the most prominent name but to sign him, and to re-sign Mika Zibanejad, the Rangers will need to move some pieces out to clear salary. I'd expect the Rangers to be active in doing whatever they can to upgrade on defense but they are far from the only team looking to do that and may not want to or have the assets to get into certain bidding wars. Things are expected to heat up shortly but the same was said last year and we kept waiting and waiting for moves through the Draft and July 1 but nothing much happened until the the middle of July when the Brassard/Zibanejad trade was made.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
robstones
Posted 2017-06-09 10:49 AM (#676456 - in reply to #676454)
Subject: Re: How active will the Rangers be this offseason?

Legend

I don't remember talks last year about Rangers making big moves. Last year was all about Vesey and Buchnevich.... Wanting to upgrade the defense, but never sure how to do that... Trouba?

This year has a nobody is safe except for maybe Zuccarello feel to it.
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-06-09 11:29 AM (#676457 - in reply to #676456)

All-Star

robstones - 2017-06-09 10:49 AM

I don't remember talks last year about Rangers making big moves. Last year was all about Vesey and Buchnevich.... Wanting to upgrade the defense, but never sure how to do that... Trouba?

This year has a nobody is safe except for maybe Zuccarello feel to it.

I feel as though the Ranger brass is done with this core group and will have no problem making a splash as McKenzie suggests, I also believe they realize the "Hanke window" is closing faster than they expected. I will not be surprised if "big" moves happen. With that said, if this was Brooks saying it I might not buy into it but McKenzie has a little bit more credibility IMO

Edited by RANGERNUT 2017-06-09 11:30 AM
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-06-10 4:20 AM (#676460 - in reply to #676454)

Regular

The team is non competitive from a cup contending standpoint. They need major changes.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-06-10 6:29 AM (#676461 - in reply to #676460)

Legend

I don't see major changes unless AV is gone...however, IF major changes do happen, I would expect AV to be on his way out the door as he will be a "lame duck" coach (hard to imagine he can get any lamer....).
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-06-10 3:53 PM (#676464 - in reply to #676454)

Regular

You would be wrong. Gorton doesn't listen to AV every second of every day. Stepan is too slow for this system. So, he will be gone. Nash to me plays well if he was making 3 million a season. At his salary with one year left he's an easy dump. Trade those two and you can protect Lindberg and Fast. Rangers need to get back picks and NHL ready prospects who can't be taken by Vegas. IMO, Miller's bad playoff was a fluke. His game projects to the playoffs. Hayes while sucking in the playoffs in several areas was actually excellent on draws. I think those guys will figure out the playoffs. This team isn't going to fall to pieces without Nash and Stepan. Look for Vesey who looked good in the playoffs to take a big step up. Hopefully, Buchnevich will be 10 to 15 pounds heavier. You can see his mind can think the game at a high level. I love Gropp going forward. His wrist shot will be one of the best from the second he is in the NHL. Graves will make this defense with his eyes closed. If they can't deal Girardi they will buy him out. If Staal won't waive his NTC he will play the rest of his career in the minors. He has no place on this team. Klein will also be dealt. I would think they would deal Raanta because they will get a nice return for him. Huge changes are coming.

Edited by itsmcilrathtime 2017-06-10 3:55 PM
NTHockey
Posted 2017-06-11 5:34 AM (#676467 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

If the Rangers would be ok with sending Staal to the minors, why not do the same with Girardi? Save on the cap hit for both and they could be emergency call ups. There's not much chance either would be claimed on waivers. I'm ok with trading Stepan, so long as we get a center who can win face offs. Nash would fit in very well on a small town team (Carolina, Winnipeg, Calgary). Nashville might be interested if Fisher retires, as rumored.

The market for goaltenders is made up of has beens and never was, with Scott Darling and maybe Chad Johnson may be what Rangers need (assuming they can't keep Raanta). IMHO, keeping Raanta is the better than signing an unknown.

BTW, wouldn't a line of Buchnevich-Zibanejad-Zuccarello be a mouthful?

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-11 9:07 AM (#676470 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

How much can they do? Sather F'd this team beyond repair....Nash, MSL, Yandle trades and the picks that went with it....albatross contracts to Staal and Girardi and Henrik
Mcphee
Posted 2017-06-11 11:23 AM (#676471 - in reply to #676467)

Rookie

NTHockey - 2017-06-11 7:34 AM

If the Rangers would be ok with sending Staal to the minors, why not do the same with Girardi? Save on the cap hit for both and they could be emergency call ups. There's not much chance either would be claimed on waivers. I'm ok with trading Stepan, so long as we get a center who can win face offs. Nash would fit in very well on a small town team (Carolina, Winnipeg, Calgary). Nashville might be interested if Fisher retires, as rumored.

They can't send Staal or Girardi to the minors because they have no movement clauses.
NTHockey
Posted 2017-06-11 3:47 PM (#676474 - in reply to #676471)

All-Star

Mcphee - 2017-06-11 1:23 PM

NTHockey - 2017-06-11 7:34 AM

They can't send Staal or Girardi to the minors because they have no movement clauses.

Responded to itsmcilrarthtime's post and his idea of sending Staal down.
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-06-12 4:56 AM (#676478 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

The Rangers have nothing imminent regarding a trade
Jun 11 | 9:04AM

"If the MacKinnon rumor is true say goodbye to Stephan"

The Rangers have been "active" in trade conversations with teams about a right-shot defenseman but "nothing is imminent." (NY Post)

Larry Brooks writes that players Tyson Barrie and/pr Jacob Trouba are of interest but "there is nothing at all doing on that front, at least at this moment." (NY Post)

Brooks also mentions the name of center Nathan MacKinnon as someone the Rangers, and many others, would like to acquire but that Joe Sakic is asking for "just about everyone" in return for a potential MacKinnon deal. (NY Post)

There are questions about how active the Rangers will be this summer.

Adam Rotter: Making a trade now would only lead to more complications regarding the expansion draft, unless the Rangers moved Staal or Girardi in the deal, but this is the time to lay groundwork for deals around the entry draft. The Rangers, and just about half the league, are looking for upgrades on defense so they won't be cheap. There are rumors Tampa is willing to dangle Jonathon Drouin for a defenseman and that is a hard price for the Rangers to match. If a trade doesn't materialize though there is still a right-shot defenseman they can sign on July 1 that will only cost them money.

6/11/17 | Larry Brooks reports that Jeff Gorton has continued speaking with Brendan Smith and that Smith has "maintained his willingness" to re-sign with the Rangers prior to UFA interview process opening on June 25 if ' the Blueshirts come in with a "market-price" offer.' (NY Post)

6/11/17 | According to Larry Brooks, as of Saturday morning, the Rangers had not requested that either Marc Staal or Dan Girardi waive their protection clauses to allow for exposure in the expansion draft. (NY Post)

The deadline to make this request of players is tomorrow at 5PM but Brooks says that because of the respect for Staal and Girardi it's likely that Gorton would have asked already. (NY Post)

Brooks also speculates that it's possible that the Rangers are okay with protecting Staal and Girardi, in addition to Ryan McDonagh, and may be willing to lose Nick Holden in the expansion draft. (NY Post)

According to Elliotte Friedman, there are rumblings that the Rangers contacted former Sabres and Stars coach Lindy Ruff about possibly joining Alain Vigneault's staff. (Sportsnet)

Friedman said that the idea of adding Ruff to the team is about making the group of coaches stronger and not about having Vigneault "look over his shoulder." (Sportsnet)

As Friedman notes, there are many connections between Ruff and the Rangers including being a teammate as a player with Scott Arniel and Rangers SVP Jim Schoenfeld. While Ruff was the coach in Buffalo he coached Rangers assistant GM Chris Drury and also had Arniel as an assistant coach. (Sportsnet)

Ruff also played parts of three seasons with the Rangers in the late 80s and early 90s.

Ruff was reportedly a candidate to be head coach of the Rangers in 2013 before the team hired Alain Vigneault.

Adam Rotter: Alain Vigneault's new contract starts next season and as far as I can tell, the Rangers are still happy with him and view him as the long-term coach. Lindy Ruff is an accomplished coach and unless the Sabres decide to bring him back, 2017-18 will be the first time since 97-98 that he won't enter the year as a head coach. I wonder if the Rangers reached out for a potential role as both a coach and part of the management team, like Jim Schoenfeld was when John Tortorella was coach. Ruff could be on the ice during practice, in all the meetings but watch the games from above and provide insight to Alain Vigneault, Jeff Gorton and the rest of the hockey operations staff.

Edited by RANGERNUT 2017-06-12 5:00 AM
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-06-12 6:55 AM (#676480 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

The Rangers are not expected to qualify either Brandon Pirri or Adam Clendening, allowing both to become unrestricted free agents. (NY Post)

The Rangers will qualify Nicklas Jensen, 24, who played in 7 games with the Rangers this season and scored 32 goals and 23 assists in 70 AHL games. (NY Post)

The decision on whether to qualify Mackenzie Skapski is reportedly pending. (NY Post)

Adam Rotter: I thought there was a chance the Rangers could qualify Clendening, he's cheap and talented, but this opens up a spot on the Rangers 50 contract list for someone else. Pirri was never going to be qualified because he would likely accept that $1 million plus offer. Jensen is interesting. He's still young, had his best AHL season and could be someone the Rangers use in the bottom six depending on who is back and who isn't. He's a former first round pick and 30 goals in the AHL is still 30 goals. I'm not sure he could be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL but there is offensive ability in his game.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-12 8:13 AM (#676484 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

Good stuff Rangernut... Gorton has work to do thats for sure...If Staal, Girardi and Stepan are on the ice opening night I will be upset. Trade Henrik too, I've had enough of him...The choker who's nothing but a joker.
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-06-12 9:38 AM (#676485 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

6/11/17 | The Flames and Jets have reportedly called the Rangers about Antti Raanta but the team has not yet committed to trading him. (NY Post)
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-12 10:16 AM (#676486 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

Gorton...Give the Jets Raanta...and work a deal to get Trouba in return
robstones
Posted 2017-06-12 4:23 PM (#676491 - in reply to #676454)

Legend

Just read Shattenkirk is willing to come here at a discount

Consider him a Ranger
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-12 5:34 PM (#676492 - in reply to #676491)

All-Star

Im sure he's coming here...I want Staal and Girardi to be gone or the 7th and 8th Defensemen. Its imperative to get a Trouba here... We could use a clutch Goalie too
Beezer34
Posted 2017-06-12 6:00 PM (#676493 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

The expansion draft is a big part of all teams futures.. as we have seen in so many drafts the LV team could grab a player the Rangers or other teams covet and then go and trade them post expansion. So there is potential for the Rangers to package players or get players from LV after they are selected. Plus Vegas has the right to sign UFA's prior to the draft so look at Oshi or Shattenkirk maybe going there. How the vegas team shapes up will show where other NHL teams are at. I have read that the Rangers lose one of three players to the expansion Rannta, Klein or Grabner.. so depending which one is selected it will depend on where the Rangers grab a guy to replace them. Klein was the early favorite but Rannta has been the new favorite .. so I think everything gets clearer after that and the draft.

I would also not rule out decent interest in either Girardi and Staal I look at Edmonton in NEED of D who would be into either of them...

It will make for an interesting summer. exciting.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-12 6:27 PM (#676494 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

MAF as per a report waived his NMC...NYR should go get him...He's better than Henrik
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-06-13 11:14 AM (#676497 - in reply to #676494)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2017-06-12 8:27 PM

MAF as per a report waived his NMC...NYR should go get him...He's better than Henrik
He only waived it for the expansion draft...he did not waive it to be traded...and I certainly wouldn't want that flake in Rangers blue.

Edited by Mjolnir 2017-06-13 11:15 AM
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-13 11:32 AM (#676499 - in reply to #676497)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2017-06-13 11:14 AM

He only waived it for the expansion draft...he did not waive it to be traded...and I certainly wouldn't want that flake in Rangers blue.

Lol lol I hear ya....but his playoff resume is better than Henriks...the king with no rings playoff choker joker
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-06-13 11:54 AM (#676500 - in reply to #676499)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2017-06-13 1:32 PM

Mjolnir - 2017-06-13 11:14 AM

Lol lol I hear ya....but his playoff resume is better than Henriks...the king with no rings playoff choker joker

He didn't get those rings on his play...
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-06-13 11:56 AM (#676501 - in reply to #676454)

Scorer

After winning in '09, they were supposed to dominate, & Crybabies underachieved until these 2 cups. Many point to Fleury (i.e. Holtby now). While most hockey experts point to Hank as THE ONLY REASON they even have gotten as far as they did the last few years. Fleury has an all-star team around him. Oh & something about those 2 top 5 players in the game the last 10+ years & top 5 d-man when healthy. I'll take Crosby & Malkin for 10+ years on the Rangers, & see how they & Hank do. Do you think they beat LA (finals) with Crosby/Malkin? Do you think they beat the Devils (semis) with Crosby/Malkin? Come on, stop it.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2017-06-13 12:04 PM
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-06-13 3:06 PM (#676502 - in reply to #676494)

Regular

Mikey Red - 2017-06-12 6:27 PM

Congrats. You are the dumbest fukkkkkk on the planet. He or Murray couldn't lift Hank's jock strap. If Hank was on the Pens Crosby would have 5 to 7 cups easy. Hank is the only reason this sorry azzzzz team won any playoff games. They never f'n score for him.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-13 3:32 PM (#676504 - in reply to #676502)

All-Star

itsmcilrathtime - 2017-06-13 3:06 PM

Mikey Red - 2017-06-12 6:27 PM

Congrats. You are the dumbest fukkkkkk on the planet. He or Murray couldn't lift Hank's jock strap. If Hank was on the Pens Crosby would have 5 to 7 cups easy. Hank is the only reason this sorry azzzzz team won any playoff games. They never f'n score for him.

Ha Ha Ha nice screen name...shows how much you know.... Is Maclrath still in the League? How could Murray or MAF not be able to lift Henriks jock when they have multiple rings? You are even more stupid by producing a hypothetical scenario.... If Henrik was on the Pens they might not have any cups ....because in the big spot...Henrik has proven over and over that he cant get it done...2009...3-1 lead on the Caps...guess who won the series? 2012 We had a 1-0 and 2-1 lead on the Devils...G5 at the Garden Henrik put us down 3-0 in the 1st 10 minutes...We came back and tied the game and guess what happened? The Devils 4th line scores the GW...Then in G6 Henrik puts us down 2-0...We battle back and send it to OT...1st Minute Devils score. 2014 SCF Im sure you remember how we had the lead in all 3 games in LA...and lost all 3 games in LA in OT...2015 vs the Lightning...G5 and G7 in our building and Henrik is the guy who gives up the goals...2016 Shouldnt of even dressed vs the Pens...2017 Henrik was flat out awful vs Ottawa and he cost us the series.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-13 3:34 PM (#676505 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

Henrik Playoff record 61-65
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2017-06-13 3:47 PM (#676506 - in reply to #676454)

Scorer

Useless argument, that series against Craps, I was talking to my friends & we were saying how are the Rangers up 3-1, the only reason was Hank. They had no business being up 3-1, Craps were overplaying them, a shooting galley on Hank, target practice. Even Ovie said he is not god, he can't stop everything every game. That came from Ovie, not you, how great Hank's play was with no support. That's the last on that from me, you like to argue, I do not.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2017-06-13 3:49 PM
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-13 3:51 PM (#676507 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

Say what you want... the results dont lie...He is a great goalie until its clutch...then the choke comes...Fact
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-13 3:56 PM (#676508 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

Henrik gets more of a free pass than F'n Jeter
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-06-13 4:33 PM (#676509 - in reply to #676508)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2017-06-13 3:56 PM

Don't you dare talk about Jeter!!!

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-13 4:37 PM (#676510 - in reply to #676509)

All-Star

Rangerjunkie - 2017-06-13 4:33 PM

Mikey Red - 2017-06-13 3:56 PM

Don't you dare talk about Jeter!!!

lol lol whats up RJ...Any luck getting rid of Stepan yet? I havent been able to work any magic
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-06-13 4:51 PM (#676511 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

As far as I know he's still a liability to the Rangers......Hopefully they leave him unprotected and LV is just plain dumb enough
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-13 5:01 PM (#676512 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

Absolutely
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-06-13 5:04 PM (#676513 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

...And break up the Yankees...who saw this coming?
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-06-13 5:27 PM (#676514 - in reply to #676454)

All-Star

J U D G E
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software