Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Latest NYR rumors...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... >
Now viewing page 4 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-07 8:44 AM (#677734 - in reply to #677153)
Subject: Re: Latest NYR rumors...

All-Star

Steve Kampfer....The end result of a chain of a whole lotta 1's and players traded away
Top of the page Bottom of the page
concust
Posted 2017-07-07 10:03 AM (#677738 - in reply to #677732)

Legend

Fantasy. Whatever it is that they're proposing we give up in a trade for a $7m 30+ center, it's too much.

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-07 10:16 AM (#677740 - in reply to #677153)

All-Star

Give Kreider to Winnipeg for Trouba or a Mackinnon or Duchene
Fish
Posted 2017-07-07 10:24 AM (#677741 - in reply to #677738)

Publisher

Problematic for a number of reasons:

1. NYR currently have just 11 forwards signed, with Zibanejad likely to earn between $4.5M and $5.5M as the 12th.
2. Fast is out until November, so you're going to need another wing for a month or two
3. After Klein retired today, NYR have $8.4M in cap space, with Zibanejad to sign
4. Stastny would take $7M of cap space
5. The only "spare" the Rangers really have to trade would be Holden (barring Staal waiving his NTC), and he only earns $1.6M...after that you'd be trading a wing, and suddenly have a hole on the wing.
6. Stastny has hit 60+ points only once in the past 6 seasons (excluding the lockout year), and has 40,49 and 46 in the last three (going backwards)
7. Stastny has also missed 51 games in the last four seasons with various injuries

Assuming Zibanejad earns $5M, then that gives the NYR $3.4M plus potentially Holden's $1.6M to play with....a total of $5M...I don't see an obvious way to get beyond that
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-07 10:38 AM (#677742 - in reply to #677153)

Rookie

I want no part of Stastny, but don't forget teams can retain %'s of cap hits. After we resign Ziban I think we'll have about 3.5 to 4 mill. If we can move Holden we should have 5 mill of cap space left as you mention Fish. Enough to add a top 9 C/forward, which I think will be added (Bozak?). But not a huge ticket item. And again I don't want Stastny anyway.

Fish
Posted 2017-07-07 11:01 AM (#677743 - in reply to #677742)

Publisher

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-07 9:38 AM

I want no part of Stastny, but don't forget teams can retain %'s of cap hits. After we resign Ziban I think we'll have about 3.5 to 4 mill. If we can move Holden we should have 5 mill of cap space left as you mention Fish. Enough to add a top 9 C/forward, which I think will be added (Bozak?). But not a huge ticket item. And again I don't want Stastny anyway.

It's a fair point on the salary retention...should have included that, though that increases the cost of the trade.

Could probably also add

- Why would St Louis be looking to move Stastny?
- Why would St Louis be willing to retain salary?
- What does St Louis need that we have - they have 15 forwards signed (8 at $1M or lower, with only 2 on ELCs), and 5 D-man, plus Parayko as an RFA
- Does St Louis need to clear cap space - they have ~$7M with just Parayko to sign, forwards and goalies or set
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-07 11:20 AM (#677744 - in reply to #677153)

Rookie

Like I said, I have zero interest in Stastny who has been trending down for a while. I agree with you before we even discuss match on a possible trade.

x10003q
Posted 2017-07-07 11:31 AM (#677745 - in reply to #677153)

MVP

Holden is cheap insurance for the eventual injuries to the d. There is no way the Rangers should let him go unless the trade is a huge tilt to the Rangers favor. Holden was pretty steady for most of last season. He is going to handle heavy minutes better than Staal, DeAngelo, or Kampfer.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-07 11:34 AM (#677746 - in reply to #677153)

All-Star

Trouba or Duchene/Mackinnon should be targeted....Kreider absolutely should not be an untouchable
robstones
Posted 2017-07-07 2:17 PM (#677751 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

Stastny would be excellent if we could make it work. Article says St. Louis only have 5 D as of now.... And this is Stastny's last year on that contract. They can either trade him or lose him for nothing.... unless they plan to resign, which I doubt.

He wins faceoffs and can score. 40pts in 66 games isn't bad. Better defensively than Stepan. Staal for Paul!

Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-07 2:23 PM (#677752 - in reply to #677153)

Rookie

Come back to reality please rob....

They are not taking Staal for Stastny. And that doesn't even get into the fact that Staal would have to approve of the trade.

Rranger
Posted 2017-07-07 2:26 PM (#677753 - in reply to #677751)

All-Star

robstones - 2017-07-07 1:17 PM

Stastny would be excellent if we could make it work. Article says St. Louis only have 5 D as of now.... And this is Stastny's last year on that contract. They can either trade him or lose him for nothing.... unless they plan to resign, which I doubt.

He wins faceoffs and can score. 40pts in 66 games isn't bad. Better defensively than Stepan. Staal for Paul!

Well considering Gorton has backed himself into a corner with what looks like no escape plan he could do worse. The Rangers need a top 2 centre. He would do for a year. Pretty sure it would take more than Staal and his contract, maybe throw in little D.
Fish
Posted 2017-07-07 2:35 PM (#677754 - in reply to #677751)

Publisher

St Louis have five SIGNED D, and a sixth, Parayko is an RFA. They have plenty of money to sign him, with over $7M in cap space. They do have 4 right defensemen listed though
Fish
Posted 2017-07-07 2:56 PM (#677755 - in reply to #677753)

Publisher

Rranger - 2017-07-07 1:26 PM

Well considering Gorton has backed himself into a corner with what looks like no escape plan he could do worse. The Rangers need a top 2 centre. He would do for a year. Pretty sure it would take more than Staal and his contract, maybe throw in little D.

I think the nature of the Cap is such that you're always likely to have some holes or other. Look at Pittsburgh last season, their defense was pretty ordinary, and they're top heavy on the offense. If you have a couple of key injuries, you're toast...

As for Gorton, I've actually been surprised at what he's been able to accomplish given the commitments that his predecessor signed the team up for...
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-07 3:36 PM (#677756 - in reply to #677153)

Rookie

Say what you want, but I think Gorton has done a pretty incredible job transforming this team in just 2 summers. We are younger and I think better, and outside of Staal don't have any bad contracts left. He added the # 7 pick in the draft this year. Added a past 1st round dman in DeAngelo. Stuck to his guns and got Shatt here for a more than reasonable contract. A major tip of the cap to Gorton who truly has done a great job in a short period of time thus far I think. I expect him to eventually get us to the promise land.

Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-07-07 3:40 PM (#677757 - in reply to #677153)

All-Star

we still have another terrible contract....AV 3 more years!!
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-07 3:54 PM (#677758 - in reply to #677153)

All-Star

Yep totally....AV better be on a warm seat... He F'd up the Playoffs
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-07-07 3:55 PM (#677759 - in reply to #677153)

All-Star

Stepan and Kreider NEVER rode the pine....JT and Grabner got 4th line time
robstones
Posted 2017-07-07 4:49 PM (#677760 - in reply to #677754)

Legend

Fish - 2017-07-07 4:35 PM

St Louis have five SIGNED D, and a sixth, Parayko is an RFA. They have plenty of money to sign him, with over $7M in cap space. They do have 4 right defensemen listed though

Yeah, and only carrying 6 isn't smart. They could use Staal
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-07 7:22 PM (#677762 - in reply to #677755)

All-Star

Fish - 2017-07-07 1:56 PM

Rranger - 2017-07-07 1:26 PM

I think the nature of the Cap is such that you're always likely to have some holes or other. Look at Pittsburgh last season, their defense was pretty ordinary, and they're top heavy on the offense. If you have a couple of key injuries, you're toast...

As for Gorton, I've actually been surprised at what he's been able to accomplish given the commitments that his predecessor signed the team up for...

Pittsburgh had three or four defenseman at various times missing in the playoffs because of injuries not cap restraints. Tip of the cap to them for overcoming that. I don't mind the trade of Stepan, I'm not gushing over what they got back because Raanta was also in the deal. The cap return was a bit of a X factor and ultimately led to Arizona getting the deal. So it is what it is. I don't mind Gortons moves either, but when you get rid of a core guy like Stepan you better have a backup plan, it appears he doesn't unless it's Miller. Or he'd have pulled the trigger. David Desharnais does not come close to replacing Stepan and at his point in time the only viable option on the Rangers is Vigneault's blame guy Miller. I expect Miller to last about a week into training camp at centre. Then I guess we see.
DaTeL
Posted 2017-07-08 12:52 AM (#677765 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

I think Petr Nedved is available.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-07-08 3:30 AM (#677766 - in reply to #677153)

Regular

I don't care what anybody says. Ruff was brought here to replace AV if they don't have a long run. I'm sure it's not lost on Gorton that Pitt's coach who used to work for us is a hard nosed, defense first kind of guy. While Torts is over the top with shot blocking and defense. AV doesn't pay nearly enough attention to defense.
robstones
Posted 2017-07-08 6:52 AM (#677767 - in reply to #677766)

Legend

itsmcilrathtime - 2017-07-08 5:30 AM

I don't care what anybody says. Ruff was brought here to replace AV if they don't have a long run. I'm sure it's not lost on Gorton that Pitt's coach who used to work for us is a hard nosed, defense first kind of guy. While Torts is over the top with shot blocking and defense. AV doesn't pay nearly enough attention to defense.

Maybe not, but if they don't make a deep run because we still blame the defense, and Ruff is the defense coach....

AV could be to blame for a not so solid defense, sure. But Stepan and Girardi are no longer with this team... as we've discussed, Staal and Holden are both on their way out, or at least demoted to the bottom 6

I think the roster changes will help as much as anything....

And if not, then yeah they have a capable assistant coach with plenty of head coaching experience to take over. I don't think AV's job is any more in limbo than it ever was.

Instead the coaching duo should prove a strong combination. I don't remember the last time I've seen two coaches with their established resumes behind the same bench before.

Depth at the coach possition haha

NTHockey
Posted 2017-07-08 8:32 AM (#677769 - in reply to #677742)

All-Star

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-07 12:38 PM

I don't see why there is any interest in Bozak, Both he and Stastny are 31 and UFA next year; so they would be basically rentals. Both score about the same. Both have suffered injuries. Both are good on face offs. Only the cap hit is different (Bozak - $4.2M; Stastny - $7.0M).

There have got to be better options. I'll leave it to Gorton.
robstones
Posted 2017-07-08 9:05 AM (#677770 - in reply to #677769)

Legend

NTHockey - 2017-07-08 10:32 AM

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-07 12:38 PM

I don't see why there is any interest in Bozak, Both he and Stastny are 31 and UFA next year; so they would be basically rentals. Both score about the same. Both have suffered injuries. Both are good on face offs. Only the cap hit is different (Bozak - $4.2M; Stastny - $7.0M).

There have got to be better options. I'll leave it to Gorton.

Not every move has to be about building for the future. We also want to win now.

Andersson may or may not be ready this year. If he's not, then next year he should be that much closer. Chytil too.... We don't want to block those guys from making the roster, so getting a rental this year isn't a bad move

Edited by robstones 2017-07-08 9:06 AM
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-08 9:19 AM (#677771 - in reply to #677153)

Rookie

I think you answered your own question with regards to Bozak over Stastny, cap hit. 7 mill compared to 4.2 mill is a huge difference. And as rob said it's a one year thing, and that's fine.

Look, I am very excited for the season to get here. We have clearly upgraded our D from a real bad unit, to maybe a top 5 or so unit in the whole NHL. We also still need another top 9 C/forward added, and we should be able to get that done before the season starts.

8.4 mill of cap space right now. We can easily increase that to 10 mill by dealing Holden. 4.5/5 of that goes to Ziban. So we are left with 5 to 5.5 mill of cap space after we resign him. We will "invest" at least 4 mill of that into the team you'd think. So we have the ability to make a move and add someone prior to the season, and I think Gorton will.

I like this team a lot. I love the D as mentioned. I think we once again have good depth upfront (assuming we add the one more forward I mentioned). And we have guys who should trend up next season in Ziban, Miller, Vesey, Buch and we'll see on Kreider and Hayes. The only forward that strikes me as a clear come down from last season guy is Grabner, so I think we have good upside upfront. And in goal I believe in Hank to be very good for another season or two. And while I don't love Pavelec I do trust Allaire and I am sure he played a role in making the decision to go with Pavelec.

So I'm excited and believe we have a chance to be in the 4 or 5 range in the East, 2nd or 3rd in the Met, and then from these we'll see how it goes in the playoffs.

concust
Posted 2017-07-08 9:38 AM (#677772 - in reply to #677771)

Legend

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-08 10:19 AM

8.4 mill of cap space right now. We can easily increase that to 10 mill by dealing Holden. 4.5/5 of that goes to Ziban. So we are left with 5 to 5.5 mill of cap space after we resign him. We will "invest" at least 4 mill of that into the team you'd think. So we have the ability to make a move and add someone prior to the season, and I think Gorton will.

We have the opposite problem this year as we have had in years past - we have space to sign player(s) but there's not much available and there's less every day.

Not a big fan of the Bozak/Stastny scenarios. In either case you're giving up assets for an expensive one year rental. While the term is right, I don't think we'll be able to get either guy for a third round pick so these options are off the table.

If Miller moves to center you've robbed peter to pay paul, and then you have to fill another hole on wing. Not to mention, Fast starts the season on the IR, and we need a 13th forward anyway.

Jussi Jokkinen should have been signed as additional middle-6 depth, but he signed for cheap with Edmonton. He was the best option at this point and now he's off the table. The longer we wait to do this the more likely we end up with a Matt Lombardi or some other guy that's a fringe NHL'er. By my count we need at minimum 2 additional forwards. If that's not from UFA that means they're pretty confident in some of the kids on the farm. Niklas Jensen may be a serviceable fill in until Fast returns. Nieves might be ready although saying that based on half a season in Hartford puts a lot of faith in him. The only other option I see is Andersson, who might be ready for a 4C role but I think that's a longer shot also. We'll have to see how he compares to the other prospects when Traverse City starts.

Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-07-08 11:01 AM (#677773 - in reply to #677771)

All-Star

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-08 9:19 AM

I think you answered your own question with regards to Bozak over Stastny, cap hit. 7 mill compared to 4.2 mill is a huge difference. And as rob said it's a one year thing, and that's fine.

Look, I am very excited for the season to get here. We have clearly upgraded our D from a real bad unit, to maybe a top 5 or so unit in the whole NHL. We also still need another top 9 C/forward added, and we should be able to get that done before the season starts.

I like this team a lot. I love the D as mentioned. I think we once again have good depth upfront (assuming we add the one more forward I mentioned). And we have guys who should trend up next season in Ziban, Miller, Vesey, Buch and we'll see on Kreider and Hayes. The only forward that strikes me as a clear come down from last season guy is Grabner, so I think we have good upside upfront. And in goal I believe in Hank to be very good for another season or two. And while I don't love Pavelec I do trust Allaire and I am sure he played a role in making the decision to go with Pavelec.

So I'm excited and believe we have a chance to be in the 4 or 5 range in the East, 2nd or 3rd in the Met, and then from these we'll see how it goes in the playoffs.

4th or 5th range in the east is exactly where we were last year points wise!!
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-08 11:20 AM (#677774 - in reply to #677153)

Rookie

I do think we can get Bozak for Holden and a 3rd (maybe a mid-prospect included or instead). I don't think Bozak would cost a ton. I don't view that return as a ton or giving up real future assets. Bozak is the type of guy we can/should aim for.

And yes, I think we'll only be a little better points wise than this past season, but look at how last season happened. Early in the year we rolled teams. Amassed a bunch of points. Didn't play nearly as well the 2nd half of the season and down the stretch. And our overall numbers and stats were not great. But we were right there to make the ECF losing a series we really should have won (which doesn't mean sh*t because we lost). But the playoffs are what really matter. So I'm fine if we get a few more points and most likely finish 2nd or 3rd in the Met, then we'll see where we go from there.

To me I like next seasons team better than this past seasons team, but that may not equal a bunch more points because of how this past season went as mentioned. That's okay though because the playoffs are what really matter.

Edited by Shattenkirk NYR 2017-07-08 11:22 AM
Rranger
Posted 2017-07-08 1:54 PM (#677775 - in reply to #677767)

All-Star

robstones - 2017-07-08 5:52 AM

itsmcilrathtime - 2017-07-08 5:30 AM

Maybe not, but if they don't make a deep run because we still blame the defense, and Ruff is the defense coach....

AV could be to blame for a not so solid defense, sure. But Stepan and Girardi are no longer with this team... as we've discussed, Staal and Holden are both on their way out, or at least demoted to the bottom 6

I think the roster changes will help as much as anything....

And if not, then yeah they have a capable assistant coach with plenty of head coaching experience to take over. I don't think AV's job is any more in limbo than it ever was.

Instead the coaching duo should prove a strong combination. I don't remember the last time I've seen two coaches with their established resumes behind the same bench before.

Depth at the coach possition haha

Ruff has Schoenfeld and Drury in his corner. They know him well and probably their presence had a lot to do with him coming. Samuelson and Beukeboom both did admirable jobs at their defensive coach positions prior to joining the Rangers. Blame fell on them and now both are gone. At some point in time accountability has to move up the ladder. Ruffs Buffalo teams had very ordinary defensemen yet got the job done.
This is Vigneaults signature season and it's on him now. His shelf life is just about done. Ruff is here as much for replacement insurance as he is to try to prop up double mints weak and unreliable defensive zone system.
Vigneault's inability to tap into Miller, Hayes, and Kreider's untapped potential is also under the microscope. The Derek Stepan wreck had to be noted, the guy literally turned off the effort the last two seasons and nothing appeared to be done about it. Never missed a shift. Numerous questionable personnell placements including losing players on the bench, have all lead to Vigneault being on a slippery slope of his own doing.
I would welcome and not be suprised, the first hiccup of the season a change is made.
robstones
Posted 2017-07-08 2:27 PM (#677776 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

I didn't feel like quoting the conversation, but as far as placement in the conference goes, who's going to be better them The Rangers this season?

Looking at Pittsburgh and maybe Ottawa... Columbus.... Montreal probably competes again

I think Washington is done. They fight to make the playoffs this year imo

As a matter of fact I'd say depending on how The Rangers round out their offense, that NYR, CBJ, and I guess The Debbies too are the only teams I can think of that improved over the Summer....

That's an off the cuff statement... I may be forgetting something, but all signs point to a better season this year
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-07-08 2:48 PM (#677778 - in reply to #677153)

Rookie

CBJ, Pitt and TB are the 3 likely teams to be ahead of the Rangers heading in (some team from the Atlantic needs to be ahead of the Rangers ranking wise). Montreal no way I don't think, I don't like that team at all. They'll be good because of Price, but I like our talent better for sure. I think the Sens were over their heads this past season, and they had less points than us in the regular season as well. The Leafs are a wild card team. Have talent, maybe need another year of seasoning and growth on D. But also could be real big next season if all clicks.

So I'll stick with my 4th or 5th in the East, maybe 3rd is possible. I'll say 2nd or 3rd in the Met if I was predicting today. Which I am 100% fine with.

I agree we will be a better team next season, even if our point total only goes up marginally.

Edited by Shattenkirk NYR 2017-07-08 2:50 PM
concust
Posted 2017-07-08 4:28 PM (#677779 - in reply to #677778)

Legend

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-07-08 3:48 PM

I agree we will be a better team next season, even if our point total only goes up marginally.

TBH I don't know if we'll be a better team next season judging by wins or points. Defense has been upgraded but forward group has lost more than they've replaced. We were lucky to put the money in the bank the first half of last season, if we did not start that hot we do not make the playoffs. I think Grabner's scoring comes back to earth, and I don't know that any of the other forwards are going to take a big leap forward to make up for it either. Say what you want about Stepan but that's 55 points that's not going to be replaced by Desharnais and Nieves. Vesey may step up his production a bit (also a good time to point out I was 100% right about his production last year), Hayes and Zbad will probably see small bumps if they can stay healthy, just due to increased ice time. I don't see anyone else taking a big leap forward as far as production. Maybe the addition of Shattenkirk pushes up the production from the blueline - I think that's the hope but we'll have to see if it actually translates. I mean, who comes to the Rangers and scores MORE points than they did previously? Nobody.
robstones
Posted 2017-07-08 7:08 PM (#677781 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

Yeah Stepan's production is replaced by Shattenkirks....

Desharnais can and should be more productive than Lindberg....

They'll almost certainly add depth at forward before the season starts, so the offensive production is a wash.... The PP should be upgraded even slighty from Shattenkirk, too.

When you pair that with what should be an improved defense, and we're talking about a better team

Zibanejad should be looking at a career year.... Grabner may not score at the same pace, but he'll still be effective doing what he does, using his speed.

What other move(s) are made this off season will decide just how much better this year's team is than last years'. If we end up with a solid center as we've been talking about.... Any of them.... Duchene. Bozak. Stastny.

Hell even Daniel Winnik would be pretty good...
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-07-08 9:26 PM (#677782 - in reply to #677765)

Legend

DaTeL - 2017-07-08 2:52 AM

I think Petr Nedved is available.

So are Dvorak and Hlavac... both 40.. To Believe Nedveds final attempt at the NHL was with the Rangers 9 years ago this month... time flies.

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... >
Now viewing page 4 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software