Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Latest NYR rumors...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... >
Now viewing page 11 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 12:10 PM (#678886 - in reply to #677153)
Subject: Re: Latest NYR rumors...

Legend

If you get asked for him for Mackinnon...Trouba...yes
Top of the page Bottom of the page
concust
Posted 2017-08-08 2:51 PM (#678890 - in reply to #678885)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2017-08-08 1:09 PM

True...We hope..also been hearing about Graves and Tambellinni for a while now....where are they?

The list you end up with really depends on the ranking criteria. This list is strange to me because it seems to favor neither talent, nor NHL-readiness. Guys like Graves, Gropp, Nieves, Pionk, Bereglazov are closer to NHL readiness than some of these other guys, but at this point they don't as much upside and for now, look more like depth guys.

Some lists favor NHL-readiness, ie "how soon is he to being a regular". Others favor pure talent and upside, and disregard age or how likely he is to fulfill that potential.

Halverson could have been included, but he had a tough season behind a terrible Hartford team. It's actually less a problem with his play, and speaks more to how the Rangers now have one of the deepest goalie prospect pools in the league. Shesterkin is dominant in the KHL. Wall put up incredible numbers as a freshman and led his team to first place in the regular season and then a conferenece championship for Hockey East. Huska similarly had a good season for UConn and probably has as much upside as Shesterkin did at that age. I would say Halverson is a 8-12 prospect in our system. The fact that we have Georgiev and he's our 5th best goalie prospect speaks volumes.

Sean Day is a couple of years away from the NHL. No one should be using the summer showcase to determine whether or not to keep a guy or not. He's pure raw talent at this point. Kreider at the same age was similar, all raw tools and hadn't put any of them together. Day i think is actually ahead of Kreider at the same age. Give him a couple of years and see what you have.

At this point, guys like Graves, Tambellini, Nieves, Gropp, are looking like they'll be depth guys. Some younger guys have more potential and pure talent (Day, Shesterkin Chityl) but we won't see them for a couple of years. If their development stalls they'll fall into the former group. If a guy like Gropp can put it all together and have a great AHL season he will move up the charts significantly.

itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-08-08 4:15 PM (#678891 - in reply to #677153)

All-Star

Graves and Gropp are absolutely not depth guys. Gropp's skill set is tailor made for today's NHL. Considering he would probably have one of the top 3 shots of our forwards from day one on this roster, he projects as a top 6 guy. Unlike most of our forwards, he actually can shoot the puck well. Graves was stuck on a complete crap team with a moron head coach who the game passed bye. Sadly, Staal and Holden haven't been dealt. Holden absolutely has to go. I wouldn't count Smith as a top 4 guy either. He didn't exactly light the world on fire over his career with Detroit. Graves needs to be on the starting roster. Gropp has tremendous speed, a tremendous shot, he's a good passer, solid hockey sense and has the frame to be a big body though he is still kind of thin. On the other hand, Buchnevich is a a beanpole who looked like a juniors player at times last year. However, he's Russian so most of our fan base will bend over for him.

Edited by itsmcilrathtime 2017-08-08 4:17 PM
concust
Posted 2017-08-08 4:40 PM (#678892 - in reply to #678891)

Legend

itsmcilrathtime - 2017-08-08 5:15 PM

Graves and Gropp are absolutely not depth guys. Gropp's skill set is tailor made for today's NHL. Considering he would probably have one of the top 3 shots of our forwards from day one on this roster, he projects as a top 6 guy. Unlike most of our forwards, he actually can shoot the puck well. Graves was stuck on a complete crap team with a moron head coach who the game passed bye. Sadly, Staal and Holden haven't been dealt. Holden absolutely has to go. I wouldn't count Smith as a top 4 guy either. He didn't exactly light the world on fire over his career with Detroit. Graves needs to be on the starting roster. Gropp has tremendous speed, a tremendous shot, he's a good passer, solid hockey sense and has the frame to be a big body though he is still kind of thin. On the other hand, Buchnevich is a a beanpole who looked like a juniors player at times last year. However, he's Russian so most of our fan base will bend over for him.

Gropp is good but he's no Yogan or Matt Fraser, that's for sure!

He's got a big year this year. He was sent back for his overage year, which is not where you want him to be since he was AHL eligible last year. He didn't exactly light it up last year either until reunited with Barzal. At this point he's undeniably taken a step back in his development. Next year in the AHL, he has a chance to make that back up for sure, but anyone who's paying attention knows all this. He's a big kid and they tend to take a little longer to develop so it's not the end of the world, he's just a bit behind where we want him.

Graves at this point does not project to be a top 4 NHL defender, and even if he turns out to be a depth/bottom pair guy, that's a huge win for the Rangers who drafted him in the 4th round. Calling prospects depth guys is not this huge insult that you always take it out to be, it's a realistic assessment of where they are in their development versus their peers at the same age. Rangers aren't going to draft top 4 defenders and top 6 forwards with every pick.

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 5:02 PM (#678893 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

Agreed...Gropp is in a make it or break it year...Ive read as much that Graves is not an NHL defenseman...But Mclrath you are 100% right about Buch...He is an unproven that gets alot of love...and also why I would love to get Trouba...That would solidify our D...You can def make the argument that Smitty is 3rd pair material
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 5:08 PM (#678894 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

You absolutely trade a 30 yr old Mac instead of giving him a Staal contract
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 5:14 PM (#678895 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

And we gotta see what Deangelo is all about...He def has skills on the O side...You cannot have Staal and Holden as 3rd pair this season...F that
Mcphee
Posted 2017-08-08 5:25 PM (#678897 - in reply to #678895)

Rookie

Graves' main problem that I see is the coach.I've read that his skating isn't the greatest,and so far during his tenure here,Chewbacca is unwilling to play a young defenseman that doesn't skate like he has a missile up his ass.The longer This clown remains as coach,the more likely Graves will be in Hartford or traded.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 5:28 PM (#678898 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

Lol lol yep Mac and Shatt Skjei and Trouba Staal and Smitty until you can get rid of Staal...then slot in Deangelo
Rranger
Posted 2017-08-08 5:31 PM (#678899 - in reply to #678892)

MVP

concust - 2017-08-08 3:40 PM

He's got a big year this year. He was sent back for his overage year, which is not where you want him to be since he was AHL eligible last year. He didn't exactly light it up last year either until reunited with Barzal. At this point he's undeniably taken a step back in his development. Next year in the AHL, he has a chance to make that back up for sure, but anyone who's paying attention knows all this. He's a big kid and they tend to take a little longer to develop so it's not the end of the world, he's just a bit behind where we want him.

Graves at this point does not project to be a top 4 NHL defender, and even if he turns out to be a depth/bottom pair guy, that's a huge win for the Rangers who drafted him in the 4th round. Calling prospects depth guys is not this huge insult that you always take it out to be, it's a realistic assessment of where they are in their development versus their peers at the same age. Rangers aren't going to draft top 4 defenders and top 6 forwards with every pick.

Gropp is a 21 year old in Sept. 6'3 is not overly huge in the CHL especially for a overage. Being big is not holding back or slowing down his development. He's always been a very good skater and has the hands. Some young 16-17 year old big kids struggle with their skating catching up to their size but that was never a issue with Gropp. He should have thrived in Jr hockey. Reality is he has not got appreciably better after being drafted.
He's got a ways to go just to get back in the conversation.
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-08-08 5:32 PM (#678900 - in reply to #678894)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2017-08-08 7:08 PM

I don't know dude, you ask a player to give you the best years of his life, Staal gave an eye, and then dump them like trash when it comes your turn to show loyalty... How many players would want to play for a team that does that to players?

Girardi, Staal... sucky contracts, but the Rangers did right by them, these guys were part of the major culture change here after 7 years of no playoffs... and if the Rangers could've stayed healthy, and scored a few more goals.... they may have had their numbers in the rafters.

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 5:39 PM (#678901 - in reply to #678900)

Legend

Andy Bathgate - 2017-08-08 5:32 PM

I don't know dude, you ask a player to give you the best years of his life, Staal gave an eye, and then dump them like trash when it comes your turn to show loyalty... How many players would want to play for a team that does that to players?

Girardi, Staal... sucky contracts, but the Rangers did right by them, these guys were part of the major culture change here after 7 years of no playoffs... and if the Rangers could've stayed healthy, and scored a few more goals.... they may have had their numbers in the rafters.

Andy! Hey dude!...I hear what you are saying totally...But in a cap world and trying to win...Mac has a ton of miles on him ...If you can trade him for real assets...I would...but if he can keep up his play well into his 30's then its ok if you keep him and pay him...but the NYR way forever... has been doing it the wrong way...Giradi played a ton of hockey ...Staal got hurt yes and that sucks because he was a really good D man before
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 5:41 PM (#678902 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

Even Lundquists contract at this point is a bad contract
Rranger
Posted 2017-08-08 5:43 PM (#678903 - in reply to #677153)

MVP

I hope Graves gets a decent shot this fall from double mint but he won't. I'm pretty sure he will be railroaded out of town by the coach as soon as he can. 2 pretty good years in Hartford and not even a callup. The other thing working against him is Bereglazov pretty much going to be handed a spot otherwise he takes his toys and goes home. Bereglazov' presence will also pretty much eliminate Pionks chances.
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 6:09 PM (#678907 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

R me and you have to form a coup tpo get rid of AV
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 6:18 PM (#678908 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

Another question is how much input Sather still has...He is still around...The F'n guy was at the draft table
Rranger
Posted 2017-08-08 6:29 PM (#678909 - in reply to #678907)

MVP

Mikey Red - 2017-08-08 5:09 PM

How bout hiring Vinny?
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 6:44 PM (#678910 - in reply to #678909)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-08-08 6:29 PM

Mikey Red - 2017-08-08 5:09 PM

How bout hiring Vinny?

Yeah sounds good!
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-08-08 7:16 PM (#678915 - in reply to #678908)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2017-08-08 8:18 PM

Another question is how much input Sather still has...He is still around...The F'n guy was at the draft table

Didn't it occur to you that the Shattenkirk signing was typical Sather? He's involved...as long as he's around he's involved.

Edited by Mjolnir 2017-08-08 7:18 PM
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-08-08 7:19 PM (#678916 - in reply to #678907)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2017-08-08 6:09 PM

I would like to join that coup!!!
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 7:53 PM (#678917 - in reply to #678916)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2017-08-08 7:19 PM

Mikey Red - 2017-08-08 6:09 PM

I would like to join that coup!!!

Yay! we got room bro...hop in!
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 7:54 PM (#678918 - in reply to #678915)

Legend

Mjolnir - 2017-08-08 7:16 PM

Didn't it occur to you that the Shattenkirk signing was typical Sather? He's involved...as long as he's around he's involved.

Yeah it sure seems that way...unfortunately
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-08-08 8:05 PM (#678919 - in reply to #678918)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2017-08-08 9:54 PM

Mjolnir - 2017-08-08 7:16 PM

Yeah it sure seems that way...unfortunately

In other news, another CG by Kluber.

Edited by Mjolnir 2017-08-08 8:06 PM
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-08 8:21 PM (#678920 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

And the Yanks lost another game in the standings to the Red Sox
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2017-08-09 3:11 AM (#678921 - in reply to #678903)

All-Star

Rranger - 2017-08-08 5:43 PM

I hope Graves gets a decent shot this fall from double mint but he won't. I'm pretty sure he will be railroaded out of town by the coach as soon as he can. 2 pretty good years in Hartford and not even a callup. The other thing working against him is Bereglazov pretty much going to be handed a spot otherwise he takes his toys and goes home. Bereglazov' presence will also pretty much eliminate Pionks chances.

Yep Rranger. This is my fear also. Kid was an All-Star on a crap Hartford team. He would have the second hardest shot in the NHL if he played this year. Yet, AV seems to like smaller, non physical defenseman who skate really well. Thus why the front of the net is never protected in front of Hank. Holden can be dealt. Obviously, he isn't the problem. Staal is. If he starts sitting in the stands enough, he'll probably ask for a deal. You would think with the garbage defenseman a lot of teams use, Staal at 50% retained would be an upgrade for some. I suspect Vegas will be awful. They probably will want to acquire more picks. I'm thinking Staal retained, a 3rd and maybe Nieves for Lindberg half way through the season. I see Lindberg doing nothing on a team like that.
RANGERNUT
Posted 2017-08-09 4:16 AM (#678922 - in reply to #677153)

All-Star

Shattenkirk and McDonagh listed in The Hockey News Top 50 Players
Aug 8 | 6:18PM

In The Hockey News Yearbook's list of Top 50 players, Kevin Shattenkirk ranked 34th and Ryan McDonagh ranked 35th.

On Shattenkirk, who was not ranked on last year's list, they wrote "the biggest free agent of the summer, Shattenkirk even gave his hometown Rangers a discount. In exchange, New York gets an elite puck-mover in his prime."ere he was already the Rangers'

On McDonagh, who was ranked 50th last year, they wrote "getting an elite, right-handed "D" partner in Shattenkirk is going to unlock McDonagh in New York, where he was already the Rangers' premier defenseman.

Elsewhere in the issue, they wrote of Shattenkirk "make not mistake, Shattenkirk, the most coveted free agent on the board, could've taken more term and more cash. But the NY native loved the fit in Manhattan, so he accepted a bit of a pre-emptive hometown discount. The best part? He's the righthanded shot partner that captain Ryan McDonagh needs on the first pairing.

Henrik Lundqvist, for the second straight year, was not listed as one of the top 50 players in the NHL.

Adam Rotter: This kind of list reinforces that the Rangers are a team that succeeded last year, and will again this year, because of their depth and the sum of all of their parts. I think that if you were to expand the list you would probably see Henrik Lundqvist and Mats Zuccarello next and then a bunch of players grouped together, Skjei, Miller, Kreider, Hayes, that all took steps last year and with another step or two could close in on being part of a list like this. If I were to pick one Ranger to be part of this list next year it would probably be Mika Zibanejad as he looks to grab hold of the Rangers number one center spot and make good on the faith the Rangers showed in him with his new contract.

Edited by RANGERNUT 2017-08-09 4:18 AM
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-08-09 6:40 AM (#678923 - in reply to #678922)

Legend

RANGERNUT - 2017-08-09 6:16 AM

Shattenkirk and McDonagh listed in The Hockey News Top 50 Players
Aug 8 | 6:18PM

In The Hockey News Yearbook's list of Top 50 players, Kevin Shattenkirk ranked 34th and Ryan McDonagh ranked 35th.

On Shattenkirk, who was not ranked on last year's list, they wrote "the biggest free agent of the summer, Shattenkirk even gave his hometown Rangers a discount. In exchange, New York gets an elite puck-mover in his prime."ere he was already the Rangers'

Someone please tell me how a player who does not rate as a top 50 last season suddenly become a top 50 just because he signs with the rangers....he had less than a stellar year, showed nothing in the playoffs, but he's suddenly a top 50 player in the NHL.

This is beyond stupid.
Shattenkirk NYR
Posted 2017-08-09 6:53 AM (#678924 - in reply to #677153)

Do you ever have any good words to say about the Rangers Mj? The guy did score 56 points last season. He was also very misused in the playoffs by the Caps. Now that is no excuse for his poor play, he did play poorly, but that is reality though. I also don't put much/any stock in rankings like these that are done for BS talk and to sell subscriptions, but Jesus man you never have a kind word to say about anything Ranger.

concust
Posted 2017-08-09 7:03 AM (#678925 - in reply to #678899)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-08-08 6:31 PM

concust - 2017-08-08 3:40 PM

Gropp is a 21 year old in Sept. 6'3 is not overly huge in the CHL especially for a overage. Being big is not holding back or slowing down his development. He's always been a very good skater and has the hands. Some young 16-17 year old big kids struggle with their skating catching up to their size but that was never a issue with Gropp. He should have thrived in Jr hockey. Reality is he has not got appreciably better after being drafted.
He's got a ways to go just to get back in the conversation.

Point was just that unlike pure skill forwards, larger guys who play a more power-oriented game, take longer to develop those skills and put them together in an effective way. Gropp's game is like that, he has a lot of individual tools but they all just need some fine tuning to really take it to the next level (and he hasn't yet). That's part of why they sent him back to junior for his overage year, better chance against lower competition to put all the skills together.

Next year in the AHL one of two things will likely happen, he will "get it" and put together a decent season in the AHL and be back on track, or the larger faster players will expose him and he'll be gone after next year. I don't even expect him to be among the scoring leaders, I'd say if he puts up 30-40 points it will be a huge success for him to build on. Like you said he hasn't gotten appreciably better since being drafted, and even his point production last year was based in large part on Barzal's return. He had a disappointing WJC. He hasn't proven he can play and be effective without Barzal unfortunately, next year will be his first full season without that crutch.

Mjolnir
Posted 2017-08-09 7:07 AM (#678926 - in reply to #678924)

Legend

Shattenkirk NYR - 2017-08-09 8:53 AM

Do you ever have any good words to say about the Rangers Mj? The guy did score 56 points last season. He was also very misused in the playoffs by the Caps. Now that is no excuse for his poor play, he did play poorly, but that is reality though. I also don't put much/any stock in rankings like these that are done for BS talk and to sell subscriptions, but Jesus man you never have a kind word to say about anything Ranger.

When good words are needed, they are said.

FYI -- Chris Kreider scored 53 points last season (career highs)...where are all the good words about him?

Edited by Mjolnir 2017-08-09 7:17 AM
concust
Posted 2017-08-09 7:15 AM (#678927 - in reply to #677153)

Legend

Re: Graves, last year the Rangers did not have a need to recall any AHL defensemen all year, so can't really hold that against AV.

The only time they recalled a D last year was March 1 (Kampfer) to meet roster requirements, he was sent back down the same day.

The year before that, Graves was not as good, and on the two occasions they needed a callup, they recalled Skjei. Not sure if you think Graves should be recalled before Skjei, but I don't.

Opportunity for NHL action for Graves has been limited due more to the NHL roster than anything else.

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-08-09 8:31 AM (#678928 - in reply to #678927)

Legend

MJ don't take no guff! Concust yea as for Gropp...if he doesn't pan out then we will have officially given Hagelin away for free
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2017-08-09 8:46 AM (#678929 - in reply to #678902)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2017-08-08 7:41 PM

Even Lundquists contract at this point is a bad contract

Of course it is because of his, age... what can you do? He gave the Rangers their best ten years of their tainted history... eventually, as players age (Leetch - Mess - Graves etc etc etc) they under value their contracts... and it has to be looked at as rendered services.

Mcphee
Posted 2017-08-09 9:41 AM (#678930 - in reply to #678900)

Rookie

Andy Bathgate - 2017-08-08 7:32 PM

I understand what you are saying Andy but let's look at the other side of the coin.Maybe every contract shouldn't come with no trade clauses,and in particular no movement clauses.Maybe Staal would do very good in Hartford training some of these young guys and still making his 5.7 million.These clauses basically back the team and the player into a corner.
sureshore
Posted 2017-08-09 9:43 AM (#678931 - in reply to #678901)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2017-08-08 7:39 PM

Andy Bathgate - 2017-08-08 5:32 PM

Andy! Hey dude!...I hear what you are saying totally...But in a cap world and trying to win...Mac has a ton of miles on him ...If you can trade him for real assets...I would...but if he can keep up his play well into his 30's then its ok if you keep him and pay him...but the NYR way forever... has been doing it the wrong way...Giradi played a ton of hockey ...Staal got hurt yes and that sucks because he was a really good D man before

One big difference - Staal and Girardi never had a thimbleful of the talent that MacD does. Every team should trade their (arguably) best player when he's in his prime ... not.
Jump to page : < ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... >
Now viewing page 11 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software