Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Preseason GDT#5 Philly @ NYR [9/25/17 @ 7pm on MSG]
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

robstones
Posted 2017-09-26 8:58 AM (#680893 - in reply to #680783)
Subject: Re: Preseason GDT#5 Philly @ NYR [9/25/17 @ 7pm on MSG]

Legend

I think both 1st rounders make the team...

I think Chytil's two way ability is over looked.... I think the value of Andersson's steady solid game is underrated too.... the kid blocked 4 shots last night. He's a warrior, but he also has great vision!

Traditionally the idea is to shelter rookies, but I'm not sure how much these kids need to be sheltered....

They're use to playing with men.... the skill is there.... they have to learn the system, yes, but with the rest of the talent on the team their ice time will have to be earned anyway... PP and PK time.... idk how much special teams either of them have to see, that sort of thing.

But I start both opening night.

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Nash Chytil Zuccarello
Vesey Hayes Miller
Grabner Andersson

and take your pick of potential Fast fill ins... Letteiri... Puempel.... Deshernais...

But at least let's see what these kids do through the first 9 games/right around the time Fast is healthy before we decide to send them to AHL or Sweden or Czech....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rranger
Posted 2017-09-26 12:33 PM (#680919 - in reply to #680893)

All-Star

robstones - 2017-09-26 7:58 AM

I think both 1st rounders make the team...

I think Chytil's two way ability is over looked.... I think the value of Andersson's steady solid game is underrated too.... the kid blocked 4 shots last night. He's a warrior, but he also has great vision!

Traditionally the idea is to shelter rookies, but I'm not sure how much these kids need to be sheltered....

They're use to playing with men.... the skill is there.... they have to learn the system, yes, but with the rest of the talent on the team their ice time will have to be earned anyway... PP and PK time.... idk how much special teams either of them have to see, that sort of thing.

But I start both opening night.

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Nash Chytil Zuccarello
Vesey Hayes Miller
Grabner Andersson

and take your pick of potential Fast fill ins... Letteiri... Puempel.... Deshernais...

But at least let's see what these kids do through the first 9 games/right around the time Fast is healthy before we decide to send them to AHL or Sweden or Czech....

I like that for the first game and add Lettieri to the fourth. See how it unfolds. I'm skeptical both stick after the 9 game tryout, but it might be a very wise investment to keep them both. If they both go home to play they still have the same adjustments next year, so they may as well stick it out here as long as they can handle it physically and can hold up defensively and offence is a bonus for this year.

Edited by Rranger 2017-09-26 1:40 PM
concust
Posted 2017-09-26 12:44 PM (#680920 - in reply to #680783)

Legend

I don't know that it's prudent to have both stay. Further, having two, gives you the luxury of developing one more aggressively and the other more passively. For example if Chytil is on the team, does Andersson bring a lot more to the table than Desharnais? I don't see it. Andersson's value in his first year, is more of just getting his first year out of the way so he can be a stronger player long term. Is it so bad to delay that a year in the SHL (or AHL)? I don't think so.

Conversely with Chytil, if brass thinks Andersson is going to provide more steady two way play than the young Czech, (and he would), wouldn't it benefit Chytil to go back to Europe for a year and get physically bigger and stronger?

I mainly have a fear of rushing both at once like Brendl and Lundmark 2.0. This team is flush with options in the bottom 6, and unless one of them can make the jump to the top 6 (Chytil is really the only option here) then I don't know if it's worth it to rush the other. Don't get me wrong, would love to see the kids step up and take roster spots, I also want them in a position to succeed long term. My impression is that management right now, is not nearly as misguided and dysfunctional as management was from 98-2004, so I'm hopeful if one or both make the team, it will be in the long-term best interest instead of the short term.

Mikey Red
Posted 2017-09-26 12:54 PM (#680923 - in reply to #680783)

MVP

Im not really sure Lias is ready for the Varsity just yet
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-09-26 12:56 PM (#680924 - in reply to #680783)

MVP

And last night Gudas ran Heatl miser...yeah its hockey etc... but its pre seaon and the kid is 18...The whole NYR bench should of emptied and beat the piss out of Gudas
Rranger
Posted 2017-09-26 1:56 PM (#680930 - in reply to #680783)

All-Star

The first thing you look for at every level of hockey with every player moving up is can they hold their own physically. Can they take in this case a mans check, and battle with them? And that is a question for both, that will only be answered by playing in those first nine games. The last thing you want is one of them to suffer a severe injury because of being overpowered.
These are two strong kids and have competed against men albeit on the big ice with a lot less physical play, so they also are battling the smaller ice hump, and increased physical play, and it is a significant change. As long as they show they can handle the size and strength of the opposition they should be here, working on improving their game.
If they are not ready they need to stay in North America playing on the smaller ice and for lack of a better term getting North Americanized.
Rranger
Posted 2017-09-26 2:19 PM (#680937 - in reply to #680920)

All-Star

concust - 2017-09-26 11:44 AM

I don't know that it's prudent to have both stay. Further, having two, gives you the luxury of developing one more aggressively and the other more passively. For example if Chytil is on the team, does Andersson bring a lot more to the table than Desharnais? I don't see it. Andersson's value in his first year, is more of just getting his first year out of the way so he can be a stronger player long term. Is it so bad to delay that a year in the SHL (or AHL)? I don't think so.

Conversely with Chytil, if brass thinks Andersson is going to provide more steady two way play than the young Czech, (and he would), wouldn't it benefit Chytil to go back to Europe for a year and get physically bigger and stronger?

I mainly have a fear of rushing both at once like Brendl and Lundmark 2.0. This team is flush with options in the bottom 6, and unless one of them can make the jump to the top 6 (Chytil is really the only option here) then I don't know if it's worth it to rush the other. Don't get me wrong, would love to see the kids step up and take roster spots, I also want them in a position to succeed long term. My impression is that management right now, is not nearly as misguided and dysfunctional as management was from 98-2004, so I'm hopeful if one or both make the team, it will be in the long-term best interest instead of the short term.

I don't think there is a comparable with either to Brendl and Lundmark. Brendl was a dog you could see it in junior, and Lundmark went through the process 3 years of junior had a good AHL year and then flat out struggled in the NHL. I think it was a just not good enough to stick reality, not any mishandling.
Otherwise I hear what your saying, but to me the question the Rangers have to ask is all about can they handle it physically? Gilbert Brule in Columbus wasn't ready physically got hurt and was never the same player after, and you don't want that happening here. These two have all the ability in the world to learn on the fly in New York as long as they can handle it physically. And at this point I don't think anyone is sure they can and they will let it play out over those first nine games.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-09-26 3:23 PM (#680940 - in reply to #680937)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-09-26 4:19 PM

And at this point I don't think anyone is sure they can and they will let it play out over those first nine games.

Someone else just mentioned to me he thinks Rangers will probably ship Chytil and Andersson down before they play 9 games.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software