Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shipachyov
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Spider3WideBanana
Posted 2017-10-13 11:44 AM (#683082)
Subject: Shipachyov

Rookie

I know money is an issue.... He’s 30. He had a chance to pursue NY and passed..... BUT, both these rosters are too fluid to not find a way to get this done.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017/10/11/16449120/jeff-gorton-new-...

I’m not in favor of losing Gropp for him, but what about something, if Vegas eats 50%....
Shipachyov
Bellamore
Theodore

For

Holden
Graves
Nieves
(Waive Carey)
6rd pick

?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mikey Red
Posted 2017-10-13 11:56 AM (#683083 - in reply to #683082)
Subject: Re: Shipachyov

MVP

That article is spot on...We are a disaster at the Center ice position....Id rather keep Grabs...but if that is what it takes....
Rranger
Posted 2017-10-13 12:36 PM (#683085 - in reply to #683082)

All-Star

Shipachyov does nothing for me, success in Europe does not automatically translate over here. And if he’s not a well rounded center, he’s becomes another easy center to play against and lean on. Teams have caught on to how easy the Rangers are to play against. Tonight should be another licking. You want to try to land someone James Neal is rumoured available. If the Rangers could get him without giving up a top nine guy and essential defensemen, of which other than McD and Skjei, I don’t think Vegas would be to interested in any others, and Andersson and Chytil everything else should be on the table. Gives you a guy with a few years left and an option to move Nash at the deadline depending on the circumstances at the time. But he’s a little to gritty for AV’s liking.
Av-merican
Posted 2017-10-13 2:56 PM (#683090 - in reply to #683082)

All-Star

Whatever the case I hope he gets onto an NHL roster somewhere. It's asinine that he's not in Vegas right now because McPhee targeted a bunch of crappy defensemen in the expansion draft.
concust
Posted 2017-10-13 10:00 PM (#683280 - in reply to #683082)

Legend

Vegas will sacrifice a depth defenseman rather than lose him for a B prospect, unless a team comes in with an unbelievable offer. He's not going anywhere.
Rranger
Posted 2017-11-04 12:51 PM (#686350 - in reply to #683082)

All-Star

He has “gone home”. I don’t see him as any better than tiny. The Rangers need a rental type center, awaiting hopefully both Chytil and Andersson next season. Or as a stop gap bring in a top six winger and move Miller to center. He can do no worse than Desharnais. Trade Desharnais and your better this season and if Chytil and Andersson crack the lineup next season Miller goes back on the wing. Plus you keep the top six winger you brought in to take Desharnais roster spot and to long term replace Nash, because the Rangers can not just let him walk.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-11-04 2:01 PM (#686352 - in reply to #686350)

Legend

Rranger - 2017-11-04 2:51 PM

He has “gone home”. I don’t see him as any better than tiny. The Rangers need a rental type center, awaiting hopefully both Chytil and Andersson next season. Or as a stop gap bring in a top six winger and move Miller to center. He can do no worse than Desharnais. Trade Desharnais and your better this season and if Chytil and Andersson crack the lineup next season Miller goes back on the wing. Plus you keep the top six winger you brought in to take Desharnais roster spot and to long term replace Nash, because the Rangers can not just let him walk.
Rangers have been trying to say away from the rental market for some years and, IMO, should continue to do so...in addition, Gorton's trades have been for the long-term. Don't be surprised to see Hayes sent packing if the right deal comes along for a young center.
Rranger
Posted 2017-11-04 2:28 PM (#686353 - in reply to #686352)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2017-11-04 1:01 PM

Rranger - 2017-11-04 2:51 PM

Rangers have been trying to say away from the rental market for some years and, IMO, should continue to do so...in addition, Gorton's trades have been for the long-term. Don't be surprised to see Hayes sent packing if the right deal comes along for a young center.

If the rental, and it could be shorty,(would rather see a upgrade) is gone at the end of the season I don’t see a problem. The expectation is Andersson and Chytil are going to be in New York next season, so getting rid of Desharnais, and upgrading with a different player as mentioned either a long term winger, or a short term center would not cause any issues. And they need to get a little stronger down the middle this season. Personally I think a winger would be easier to acquire and move Miller to center for the season. Especially if Boo works out. Miller has shown flashes of being as good as any center the Rangers have, but has a short leash with double mint compared to others.

Edited by Rranger 2017-11-04 2:29 PM
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-11-04 3:34 PM (#686356 - in reply to #683082)

Legend

As long as AV is here, Miller is not going to get a shot a center on a regular basis....and I suspect this team is schizoid enough to win just enough games to keep him from being fired (they'll win the ones they shouldn't and lose the games they should win). And they'll bubble into the playoffs without making a big splash.

The Dolt will be happy because all playoff income is money in his pocket to spend on the Knucks (who, I must say, look SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better without Melo).
Rranger
Posted 2017-11-04 3:50 PM (#686357 - in reply to #686356)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2017-11-04 2:34 PM

As long as AV is here, Miller is not going to get a shot a center on a regular basis....and I suspect this team is schizoid enough to win just enough games to keep him from being fired (they'll win the ones they shouldn't and lose the games they should win). And they'll bubble into the playoffs without making a big splash.

The Dolt will be happy because all playoff income is money in his pocket to spend on the Knucks (who, I must say, look SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better without Melo).

Av here any longer
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2017-11-04 7:56 PM (#686576 - in reply to #686356)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2017-11-04 3:34 PM

Basketball??

That is my forgotten sport. Nowhere near a team game that it used to be.
Mjolnir
Posted 2017-11-06 8:15 AM (#686632 - in reply to #686576)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2017-11-04 9:56 PM

Basketball??

I stopped watching basketball during Ewings last season with the Knucks. I was bored to tears. Watched a game the other night and actually enjoyed it. Hornacek has them playing an exciting style and Porzingus is great. They're much better without that Melo person.

(Mods -- Apologies for the "sports" comment here.)
Blue404
Posted 2017-11-09 8:05 PM (#687248 - in reply to #683082)

Legend

He finally goes home where he anted to go to.Have a nice trip.I am afraid Rangers were going after him.Washed up players are our specialty.
Steady Eddie
Posted 2017-11-10 6:19 AM (#687249 - in reply to #686632)

MVP

Mjolnir - 2017-11-06 10:15 AM

Basketball??

I stopped watching basketball during Ewings last season with the Knucks. I was bored to tears. Watched a game the other night and actually enjoyed it. Hornacek has them playing an exciting style and Porzingus is great. They're much better without that Melo person.

In a Shipachyov thread? You could bring up Pandora jewelry or Nike shoes and I doubt anyone would care. Carry on... please.

Mjolnir
Posted 2017-11-10 7:51 AM (#687252 - in reply to #687249)

Legend

Steady Eddie - 2017-11-10 8:19 AM

Mjolnir - 2017-11-06 10:15 AM

Basketball??

In a Shipachyov thread? You could bring up Pandora jewelry or Nike shoes and I doubt anyone would care. Carry on... please.

AHA -- NOW we know who safewow is.
concust
Posted 2017-11-12 10:50 AM (#687388 - in reply to #683082)

Legend

Shipachyov interview, and how McPhee and the Knights completely bungled the situation:

(FWIW I place a lot more credence in Ship's side of the story than McPhee's)

https://thehockeywriters.com/vadim-shipachyov-golden-knights-ska/

The most concerning part of this whole f'ed up situation,

"In the NHL I didn’t get what I was promised, but whatever happens will only make you stronger. Many other players who now play for SKA had a path similar to what I had and maybe this is the best strategy. Now I understand that each Russian player should think 10 times before moving overseas, because the picture in the NHL is really different from the one that teams and agents paint."

SKA's goalie is of course, Igor Shestyerkin.

Blue404
Posted 2017-11-13 6:33 AM (#687401 - in reply to #683082)

Legend

And yet most of them stay here and continue their career in NHLMany very successful ones like
Kovalev,Nemchiniv as a New York Rangers(I still like both players for what they did which is helping winning the Stanley Cup as a New York Rangers)
Not everyone will adopt to live and work in USA.
Everyone needs a helping hand in the first few months.Here things are in order and you are responsible for your actions while in Russia you will encounter carelessness on daily basis.These are two different worlds way apart.
robstones
Posted 2017-11-13 6:51 AM (#687402 - in reply to #683082)

Legend

Igor Shestyerkin can look at the Shipachyov situation...

Or he can look at the Buchnevich situation. It's his call. Both players played for SKA

One was signed by an expansion team with new everything, only to never really playing because of poor planning

The other one was drafted to an original 6 team in the 3rd round, and is now playing on the top line as a 21 year old...

Shestyorkin is also currently 21 years old. He will be here, and he will probably start as Lundqvist's backup for a season.

Much the way Lundqvist started as Weekes' backup.... He'll do so having likely won the Gagarin Cup in the KHL.... there would be nothing left for him to do there.

He may even win a Gold medal in the olympics before coming here.... He'll be young and confident and hungry for more...

And he'll have the opportunity to be mentored by THE Henrik Lundqvist, coached by one of the best in Allaire, and play in the most competitive league in the world....

He'll be here....I'm not worried at all.
concust
Posted 2017-11-13 7:21 AM (#687403 - in reply to #687402)

Legend

robstones - 2017-11-13 7:51 AM

Igor Shestyerkin can look at the Shipachyov situation...

Or he can look at the Buchnevich situation. It's his call. Both players played for SKA

That is true, hoping that when the time comes Shestyerkin gives Buch a call.

Not to say that handling Buch has been 100% because for some reason one of our best forwards still gets dropped to 4th line from time to time... but not nearly as poorly as the Shipachyov situation was handled.

To this day I still don't understand why they didn't just waive or move one of their depth defensemen in order to get Shipachyov into the lineup. I 100% don't buy that he needed more adjustment or he wasnt' playing well enough for the AHL... if any of that was the case he simply wouldn't have reported.

McPhee either made a huge mistake in handing him that contract, unproven, or he made a terrible mistake in wanting to hold on to his mediocre defensemen in order to deal one, because that was his plan from the onset of the expansion draft. Either way he pooched the whole situation.

Av-merican
Posted 2017-11-14 7:47 AM (#687415 - in reply to #683082)

All-Star

What irks me is that McPhee refused to admit he made a mistake, he just threw Shippy under the bus.

The guy barely spoke the language and was given THREE GAMES to adjust to the NHL. Ridiculous.

I guess it's a moot point now but it would've been nice for him to go elsewhere and prove GMGM wrong.
Rranger
Posted 2017-11-14 9:24 AM (#687418 - in reply to #683082)

All-Star

Teams don't let assets ride off into the sunset if they can help. Like all Europeans he would have had adjustment period. I've read a couple interviews with McPhee and in his opinion they had better centers, and I guess they figured he was not worth the time and effort. Its highly likely Vegas was right. His Agent was free to try to get a deal and nothing came from it. A low level pick would have done it and Vegas would have been done with him. Obviously 29 other teams didn't want him or his contract. . From what I see Vegas did a nice job of dumping him and getting his contract off the books. Just because you have some success elsewhere doesn't mean it translates to the NHL.
Vua
Posted 2017-11-14 11:07 AM (#687419 - in reply to #687418)

All-Star

Rranger - 2017-11-14 9:24 AM

Teams don't let assets ride off into the sunset if they can help. Like all Europeans he would have had adjustment period. I've read a couple interviews with McPhee and in his opinion they had better centers, and I guess they figured he was not worth the time and effort. Its highly likely Vegas was right. His Agent was free to try to get a deal and nothing came from it. A low level pick would have done it and Vegas would have been done with him. Obviously 29 other teams didn't want him or his contract. . From what I see Vegas did a nice job of dumping him and getting his contract off the books. Just because you have some success elsewhere doesn't mean it translates to the NHL.

Maybe it's not that nobody wanted to take him so much as not for that price. $4.5 million is a big chunk to add to your cap. They most likely wanted him to eat half or take a bad contract back and he refused. Or maybe he wanted to dump a defenseman as well and nobody would take it. There is no way he's the fifth best center on that team.
Rranger
Posted 2017-11-14 12:00 PM (#687420 - in reply to #687419)

All-Star

Vua - 2017-11-14 10:07 AM

Maybe it's not that nobody wanted to take him so much as not for that price. $4.5 million is a big chunk to add to your cap. They most likely wanted him to eat half or take a bad contract back and he refused. Or maybe he wanted to dump a defenseman as well and nobody would take it. There is no way he's the fifth best center on that team.

“You just can’t practice and adjust to this game,” McPhee said. “Everyone here was playing better than he was. You have to do things the right way and whoever plays well plays.”

Or since we are discussing maybe, maybe nobody wanted him period. Every forward on the team was playing better according to management, so they were better than Shipachyov according to Vegas. People are speculating on his abilities based on how many points he put up in the KHL. In fairness to Vegas they handed this guy a damn good contract, all he had to do was earn it. He didn't, that's what scared off other teams. There were a lot of different ways for Vegas to resolve this. This was Vegas's best option. He's not the first bust and won't be the last.

""Shipachyov signed a 1-year deal with SKA for just $0.5 million. That's a huge drop
— Igor Eronko (@IgorEronko) November 11, 2017""

Sounds like his agent wasn't exactly turning down offers back home either.

Edited by Rranger 2017-11-14 1:02 PM
Vua
Posted 2017-11-14 2:44 PM (#687422 - in reply to #687420)

All-Star

Rranger - 2017-11-14 12:00 PM

“You just can’t practice and adjust to this game,” McPhee said. “Everyone here was playing better than he was. You have to do things the right way and whoever plays well plays.”

Or since we are discussing maybe, maybe nobody wanted him period. Every forward on the team was playing better according to management, so they were better than Shipachyov according to Vegas. People are speculating on his abilities based on how many points he put up in the KHL. In fairness to Vegas they handed this guy a damn good contract, all he had to do was earn it. He didn't, that's what scared off other teams. There were a lot of different ways for Vegas to resolve this. This was Vegas's best option. He's not the first bust and won't be the last.

""Shipachyov signed a 1-year deal with SKA for just $0.5 million. That's a huge drop

You can go read what Ship said about the situation as well. You had already covered that maybe nobody wanted him. All I did was bring up another plausible explanation for why he didn't get traded.
Mandar
Posted 2017-11-14 4:35 PM (#687423 - in reply to #683082)

MVP

Shipachyov is no Marchessault.....but who is?
Rranger
Posted 2017-11-14 5:27 PM (#687424 - in reply to #687422)

All-Star

Vua - 2017-11-14 1:44 PM

Rranger - 2017-11-14 12:00 PM

You can go read what Ship said about the situation as well. You had already covered that maybe nobody wanted him. All I did was bring up another plausible explanation for why he didn't get traded.

I was more responding to the there is no way he’s the fifth best center on Vegas. But it’s all good.
concust
Posted 2017-11-15 6:19 AM (#687429 - in reply to #683082)

Legend

Assuming for a minute that McPhee's side of the story is correct, they still screwed up in a HUGE way by signing a 30 year old who has never played in NA, to a $9m contract. This shows a massive failure in both the GM in making the judgement call, and the organization's European scouting, if he came over and was in fact as bad as they say.

As Vua points out, that contract was the major reason they couldn't get a trade for him, it was probably ill-conceived (too high) from the beginning. And at this point in the season, no team has a spare $4.5m in their budget for an unproven asset, it's just too risky because you'd have to move multiple pieces off your roster in order to free up space. If he was signed to a smaller deal he would have been moved at this point. Vegas would not eat part of the contract, as that would be dead cap space. Better just to let him "retire" and get all their cap space back.

Similarly, the deal he signed in the KHL was low because like the NHL, the KHL has a hard cap, and every team is budgeted already. It was either take a 1-year deal at a steep discount, and then re-sign for market value next year, or, sit all year.

No matter which way you slice it, VGK screwed up the situation from the start. But McPhee is the guy who traded Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat so I'm not sure what kind of brilliant GMing we were all expecting.

Rranger
Posted 2017-11-15 9:43 AM (#687432 - in reply to #683082)

All-Star

Many teams took a run at signing him. His KHL stats created the market and the illusion he was going to be something. Mcphee paid market price. He had some stature in Russia and wasn't coming over for a minimal contract. The Rangers were rumoured in on him. Monday morning quarterbacking doesn't change that. Vegas had to spend to the cap floor and was probably one of the best positioned teams cap wise to take a flyer on a 30 year old at that money.. The fact McPhee got his team out from under Shipachyov's contract as well as he did is a feather in his cap. Explain to me how bringing in a highly touted UFA for a tryout and it costing basically nothing is a bad move. NHL teams crap all over players every day, and he can whine all he wants, if Gallant thought he could help he would have been in the lineup..
If teams had wanted Shipacyhyov after his Vegas showing they would have found a way to make it work. The salary is obviously a issue, I said that in the post Vua responded to. There is also the now minimal interest from other teams.
The hard cap in the KHL doesn't remove roster flexibility, Shipachyov created his own market by only wanting one team. But money being money if he was so good teams over there could have made roster moves to offer him whatever his going rate was for the rest of the year.
Yes I'm sure McPhee acquiring Erat for a playoff run that failed wasn't his best move. I'd say putting together this Vegas team is probably his best move.

Edited by Rranger 2017-11-15 6:07 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software