Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NYR Trade Deadline Thread
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-14 12:41 PM (#696708 - in reply to #696707)
Subject: Re: NYR Trade Deadline Thread

MVP

Lots of bad contracts there
Top of the page Bottom of the page
robstones
Posted 2018-02-14 3:02 PM (#696709 - in reply to #696705)

Legend

RANGERNUT - 2018-02-14 1:11 PM

This one I had to post as Brooks slipped this quote into his recent article titled:
"A guide to Olympic hockey, including some potential future Rangers"
By Larry Brooks

"This tournament is there for the Russians By Any Other Name — OAR, to be precise — to win (or lose, depending on one’s perspective). Pending Ranger Ilya Kovalchuk will join a cast that features Pavel Datsyuk and Vadim Shipachyov up-front and the banished Slava Voynov on defense. Igor Shestyorkin, the Tsar in waiting to emigrate to Broadway when his KHL contract expires following next season, is expected to share backup duty with future Islander netminder Ilya Sorokin behind the veteran Vasily Koshechkin"

Pending Ranger....

I wanted kovy 10 years ago....
Rranger
Posted 2018-02-14 10:07 PM (#696710 - in reply to #695393)

All-Star

No to Kovalchuk. To much money, to old, to much power play time taking away from younger in the plan players.
RANGERNUT
Posted 2018-02-15 3:44 AM (#696711 - in reply to #695393)

All-Star

2/14/18 | On Wednesday, Pierre LeBrun spoke about Ryan McDonagh and said (TSN):
•"The Rangers will probably wait until June to figure out what to do with him"
•"But if a team steps up, like the Rangers themselves did a couple of years ago when they overpaid for Keith Yandle at the deadline - multi-asset trade - then yes, they would listen on McDonagh."
•"McDonagh recently gave his ten-team 'no list' to the Rangers, ten teams that he would not go to. What I am told from a source is that the list is not prohibitive to the Rangers. There are some options for the Rangers among the contenders to move him if the offer is right."
•"Tampa Bay and the Boston Bruins, I do think, have some level of interest in McDonagh. They are fighting for first in the Atlantic, but are they willing to get into a bidding war and pay an exorbitant price for McDonagh, I'm not sure about that at this point."
RANGERNUT
Posted 2018-02-15 3:48 AM (#696712 - in reply to #696709)

All-Star

robstones - 2018-02-14 3:02 PM

This one I had to post as Brooks slipped this quote into his recent article titled:
By Larry Brooks

"This tournament is there for the Russians By Any Other Name — OAR, to be precise — to win (or lose, depending on one’s perspective). Pending Ranger Ilya Kovalchuk will join a cast that features Pavel Datsyuk and Vadim Shipachyov up-front and the banished Slava Voynov on defense. Igor Shestyorkin, the Tsar in waiting to emigrate to Broadway when his KHL contract expires following next season, is expected to share backup duty with future Islander netminder Ilya Sorokin behind the veteran Vasily Koshechkin"

Pending Ranger....

Kovy has been "pending" in the minds of many for a loooong time, also interesting tidbit there is Shestyorkin waiting to migrate to Broadway
Could be next is Hanke's last.
Hello Tsar bye bye King... just sayin

Edited by RANGERNUT 2018-02-15 4:16 AM
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-02-15 6:55 AM (#696713 - in reply to #695393)

Legend

When is Henrik's contract up?
rjpny75
Posted 2018-02-15 8:33 AM (#696715 - in reply to #696713)

Rookie

Mjolnir - 2018-02-15 8:55 AM

2020-21 is last year of his contract
RANGERNUT
Posted 2018-02-15 8:41 AM (#696716 - in reply to #696715)

All-Star

rjpny75 - 2018-02-15 8:33 AM

Mjolnir - 2018-02-15 8:55 AM

2020-21 is last year of his contract

and we'd be insane not to entertain trading Hanke next year..

Edited by RANGERNUT 2018-02-15 8:42 AM
ej17
Posted 2018-02-15 10:17 AM (#696719 - in reply to #695393)

All-Star

https://bluelinestation.com/2018/02/15/new-york-rangers-exploring-po...
concust
Posted 2018-02-15 12:19 PM (#696726 - in reply to #696710)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-02-14 11:07 PM

No to Kovalchuk. To much money, to old, to much power play time taking away from younger in the plan players.

Prior to this season I was a solid no on Kovalchuk also. With the rebuild (supposedly) underway I would consider it under the right conditions. You can't just put the Wolf Pack in Rangers uniforms and call it a day.

However if he's looking for a big contract he might as well stay in the KHL because I don't think any team will give him one here. He'll be lucky to get 3 years from anyone, at (almost) any price.

My guess realistically, is he's using the threat of NHL as leverage in his contract negotiations in the KHL. I don't honestly think he has a desire to play in the NHL. He didn't even when he was here.

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-15 12:34 PM (#696727 - in reply to #696719)

MVP

Absolutely not
Rranger
Posted 2018-02-15 1:37 PM (#696728 - in reply to #696726)

All-Star

concust - 2018-02-15 11:19 AM

Rranger - 2018-02-14 11:07 PM

Prior to this season I was a solid no on Kovalchuk also. With the rebuild (supposedly) underway I would consider it under the right conditions. You can't just put the Wolf Pack in Rangers uniforms and call it a day.

However if he's looking for a big contract he might as well stay in the KHL because I don't think any team will give him one here. He'll be lucky to get 3 years from anyone, at (almost) any price.

My guess realistically, is he's using the threat of NHL as leverage in his contract negotiations in the KHL. I don't honestly think he has a desire to play in the NHL. He didn't even when he was here.

He is not a difference maker, in reality probably never was. I don’t want him here sucking up first unit power play minutes at the expense of a player that could have been on it and would have been if he wasn’t here. This is a classic Ranger move, that I hope they are commited enough to a rebuild to avoid.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-02-15 1:53 PM (#696729 - in reply to #696711)

All-Star

RANGERNUT - 2018-02-15 3:44 AM

2/14/18 | On Wednesday, Pierre LeBrun spoke about Ryan McDonagh and said (TSN):
•"The Rangers will probably wait until June to figure out what to do with him"
•"But if a team steps up, like the Rangers themselves did a couple of years ago when they overpaid for Keith Yandle at the deadline - multi-asset trade - then yes, they would listen on McDonagh."
•"McDonagh recently gave his ten-team 'no list' to the Rangers, ten teams that he would not go to. What I am told from a source is that the list is not prohibitive to the Rangers. There are some options for the Rangers among the contenders to move him if the offer is right."
•"Tampa Bay and the Boston Bruins, I do think, have some level of interest in McDonagh. They are fighting for first in the Atlantic, but are they willing to get into a bidding war and pay an exorbitant price for McDonagh, I'm not sure about that at this point."

I certainly hope so!! Yzerman robbed us, time for us to finally be the ones to do some robbing.
robstones
Posted 2018-02-15 3:02 PM (#696731 - in reply to #695393)

Legend

Hedman Stralman
McDonagh Girardi

Would be Tampa's top 4

Slater Koekkoek.... Cal Foote

As part of a return

Edited by robstones 2018-02-15 3:08 PM
Blue404
Posted 2018-02-15 3:50 PM (#696734 - in reply to #696712)

Legend

RANGERNUT - 2018-02-15 5:48 AM

robstones - 2018-02-14 3:02 PM

By Larry Brooks

Pending Ranger....

Kovy has been "pending" in the minds of many for a loooong time, also interesting tidbit there is Shestyorkin waiting to migrate to Broadway
Could be next is Hanke's last.
Hello Tsar bye bye King... just sayin

King never dies and Tsar is dead.

Edited by Blue404 2018-02-15 3:52 PM
Blue404
Posted 2018-02-15 3:59 PM (#696735 - in reply to #696727)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2018-02-15 2:34 PM

Absolutely not
The kid is already in a declining mode.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-02-16 3:25 AM (#696965 - in reply to #695393)

Scorer

Girardi is not in Tampa's top 4. Please. He's a bottom pairing guy right now. Problem with Tampa is past Hedman and Stralman, they have all bottom pairing guys. Ronning has 51 goals in 55 games, is a shot machine and a righty shot to boot. If he shows well in the AHL next year, I see Zucc being moved at the deadline next year.

Nash and Grabner are going at the deadline. Little doubt about that. As far as McDonagh. Honestly, the fact he hasn't been traded yet shows me the offers are garbage for a number 1 d man. Those guys almost never come on the market. Boston and Tampa seem to have the best match for McDonagh as a lot of their top prospects aren't far away. I don't know if Boston feels they need McDonagh. They have won a ton the last 2 months. Tampa on the other hands has had some bad losses and they have games where they let up 3 to 5 goals a lot. That is a recipe for a playoff exit. I would think Tampa will be all in on McDonagh when it is all said and done. I hope Gorton returns the favor and rips Yzerman off like he did to us for St. Louis.

Edited by itsmcilrathtime 2018-02-16 5:19 AM
RANGERNUT
Posted 2018-02-16 3:58 AM (#696966 - in reply to #695393)

All-Star

How quickly can the Rangers get back to where they want to be?

Larry Brooks wrote in the NY Post that, besides Henrik Lundqvist, the Rangers are expected to hang onto Chris Kreider, Kevin Shattenkirk and Pavel Buchnevich.

He says that they will probably keep Brady Skjei, Jimmy Vesey, Mika Zibanejad and, if he is healthy, Marc Staal. (NY Post )

Those players would pair with Lias Andersson, Filip Chytil and possibly, if he signs, Ilya Kovalchuk. NY Post

Elliotte Friedman noted that if the Rangers trade but then re-sign Michael Grabner and Rick Nash and then possibly sign Ilya Kovalchuk, they could go through a "very quick reset" and try to emulate the mix of veterans and young players that a team like Boston has. (Fan Rag)

Adam Rotter: In the NHL you can go worst to first pretty quickly, or in the case of Vegas, non-existent to first very quickly. With guys like Henrik Lundqvist, Shattenkirk, some combination of Hayes/Miller/Kreider/Vesey/Buchnevich, will likely always be around the playoffs and with a few breaks, make the playoffs. Making the playoffs is only step one though and the Rangers want to get back to where making the playoffs is expected and making a run at the Cup every year becomes the goal.

A lot depends on how many of the current young Rangers/prospects, Lias Andersson, Filip Chytil, Anthony DeAngelo, John Gilmour, Neal Pionk, develop and what pieces, picks and assets the Rangers get at the deadline and if they decide to move others at the draft. As soon as next season the Rangers could be a young, fun, fast, skilled team but it's likely going to take those players/picks a couple of years to develop before they are really ready to try and make a run.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-02-16 5:29 AM (#696967 - in reply to #695393)

Scorer

The fact that Andersson and Chytil are two way players, producing nicely in the AHL offensively at 18 on a team that isn't all that good is beyond impressive. Let's hope Gorton doesn't screw up the deals like he did with Talbot. As far as Domi goes. Tippett was a bigger moron than Torts. He should have been fired 3 years ago. Let's face it, now that he's gone, they still don't have any decent coaching over there. However, I would prefer the Rangers go after young center and wing prospects with size. You can have one or two Zucc, Ronning types but you need size. Especially in the playoffs.
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-02-16 6:18 AM (#696969 - in reply to #696966)

Legend

RANGERNUT - 2018-02-16 5:58 AM

Elliotte Friedman noted that if the Rangers trade but then re-sign Michael Grabner and Rick Nash and then possibly sign Ilya Kovalchuk, they could go through a "very quick reset" and try to emulate the mix of veterans and young players that a team like Boston has. (Fan Rag)

If the Rangers do anything other than laugh at the above nonsense, they're dumber than anyone every imagined. That's not resetting, that's putting the car in reverse.

I can see resigning Grabs. Kovy -- NOT IN THIS LIFETIME. Nash -- Why? Teams usually do their best to get as far away from disappointments as possible; but we are talking about the NY Rangers. JUST SAY NO.
x10003q
Posted 2018-02-16 8:14 AM (#696971 - in reply to #695393)

MVP

Kovulchuk is 34 and turning 35 in April! On what planet is this guy even a consideration? Maybe for a 2 way contract?
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2018-02-16 1:35 PM (#696979 - in reply to #695393)

All-Star

No player is safe, I think the Rangers are going all in on a rebuild:
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-trade-news-and-notes-february-16/c-2960...
Rranger
Posted 2018-02-16 6:08 PM (#696982 - in reply to #695393)

All-Star

Gorton saying Chytil and Andersson will not play the nine games needed to burn off a contract year. Good call Jeff those two are doing well in the AHL, where I said they both should have both been all year. Leave them there and let them come to camp ready to win a spot next year. This season is going to go down the tubes after the deadline, and nothing but bad habits to learn under the chewsen one.

Edited by Rranger 2018-02-16 6:23 PM
RANGERNUT
Posted 2018-02-17 9:22 AM (#696989 - in reply to #695393)

All-Star

Jeff Gorton said on Friday that he wouldn't say that any potential trades are "imminent" but that things can change with one phone call. (NY Post)

Gorton said that the Rangers have "a lot of balls in the air" and that it's hard to predict when things will happen. (NY Post)

Larry Brooks noted that the Rangers are "committed" to moving pending free agents Rick Nash, Michael Grabner, Nick Holden and David Desharnais. (NY Post)

He added that there are "precious few players" that are off-limits as the organization looks to retool. (NY Post)
Brooks wrote earlier in the week that Gorton and the Rangers should make their trades as quickly as they can so they can hope to avoid injury and get their return before more players become available. (NY Post)

Andy Strickland tweets that he "keeps hearing" that the Rangers are more interested in top prospects/roster players than acquiring draft picks.

Adam Rotter: I would expect someone to step up in the next week and pay the price the Rangers want for Rick Nash. In prior years there are usually a few "big" trades made in the days leading up to the deadline and I expect that to be the case with Nash. Grabner could fall into that category as well but I'd expect both Holden and Desharnais to be moved on the actual deadline day. As for the players who are not rentals, the feeling continues to be that if the Rangers move any of them by 2/26 at 3PM it will be for some sort of "home run" type of haul. In the event that any/all of these guys are still with the team by 2/22, it will be interesting to see how the Rangers handle things and how many of them would sit out the 3 in 4 night stretch before the deadline as a precaution.
In terms of the Rangers wanting players back instead of picks, that makes sense. The Rangers should be looking for highly skilled and high upside players that have been drafted as opposed to looking to maybe get the 29th pick in the first round. Draft picks are important but the Rangers should definitely be looking for an already drafted player or someone close to being an NHLer as the centerpiece for many of these potential deals.

Edited by RANGERNUT 2018-02-17 9:24 AM
Ranjaz023
Posted 2018-02-17 10:42 AM (#696992 - in reply to #695393)

All-Star

I think most fans would be ok with them missing the playoffs for 2 years if it means a rebuild that will last. I will certainly still go to MSG and support the Rangers if the rebuild has the feeling of the Jagr years. Young guys earning their stripes and learning while vets show them the way. We all knew Straka / Jagr / Nylander were not going to be around for a cup run. It was Callahan and other young guys. I hope the Rangers brass remembers how that was done. How the lockout helped young players grow without getting traded away. How they used some guys like Dawes to get picks or other players ever growing the quality of player on the roster. Build it right.
RANGERNUT
Posted 2018-02-18 6:27 AM (#697074 - in reply to #695393)

All-Star

Russia’s Ilya Kovalchuk Throws Shade At USA Hockey After Olympics Win In Pool Play

"This is our guy ... right? .....oh yeah he loves America.... stay in Russia you commie" ! ...nutter

Russia’s hockey team apparently has carried a chip on its shoulder for the last four years.

Ilya Kovalchuk, a forward on the Olympic Athletes from Russia team, celebrated their 4-0 win over the United States by throwing shade at their defeated opponents. In an interview with reporters, Kovalchuk resurrected memories of the United States’ 2014 Winter Olympics win over Russia, in which T.J. Oshie shot six times during the shootout victory, a strategy Kovalchuk deemed unsporting.

Kovalchuk quote: "After the last game in Sochi, I think you guys are still showing the highlights of Oshie scoring those shootouts, right? So hopefully you’re gonna change that now."

The Olympic Athletes from Russia won Group B with the resounding win over the United States.

USA coach Tony Granato was “furious” at Russia afterward for keeping its top power-play unit on the ice with four minutes remaining, NBC’s Pierre McGuire reported, according to ESPN’s Greg Wyshynski.

The rest of Team USA should be keen to bite back at Russia if they meet again in the playoff rounds.

Edited by RANGERNUT 2018-02-18 6:29 AM
RANGERNUT
Posted 2018-02-18 9:12 AM (#697081 - in reply to #695393)

All-Star

Wonder how receptive the Candy Canes would be to an offer built around J.T. Miller for Justin Faulk or Noah Hanifin?-Brooksie

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video/hanifins-overtime-winner/t-2774...

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video/faulk-finishes-off-two-on-one/t...

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/video/miller-it-wasnt-good-enough/t-2774...

I like it

Edited by RANGERNUT 2018-02-18 9:26 AM
NTHockey
Posted 2018-02-19 9:30 AM (#697330 - in reply to #695393)

All-Star

With all the talk of trading and rebuilding, the prices around the league are high. What if, after all the speculation, the Rangers CAN'T make a beneficial deal? We are stuck for the rest of the season with the same cast of characters, same coaching staff and same level of play. What then? Is there a Plan B? Plan C?
DaTeL
Posted 2018-02-19 12:40 PM (#697332 - in reply to #697330)

Legend

NTHockey - 2018-02-19 5:30 PM

With all the talk of trading and rebuilding, the prices around the league are high. What if, after all the speculation, the Rangers CAN'T make a beneficial deal? We are stuck for the rest of the season with the same cast of characters, same coaching staff and same level of play. What then? Is there a Plan B? Plan C?

I'm not sure there's even a Plan A.

I mean yeah, they declared they're gonna be doing something.
I'm just not sure I'd call it a plan...
pemoco
Posted 2018-02-19 9:19 PM (#697340 - in reply to #697332)

All-Star

DaTeL - 2018-02-19 12:40 PM

I'm not sure there's even a Plan A.

Clean Slate

“I’m going into this – and I hope the guys go into this, too – with an open mind,” Vigneault said. “It’s a clean slate for everybody, so let’s write what we want to write on that slate.”

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software