Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A good start, but that job's not done...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-28 6:48 AM (#699030 - in reply to #699029)
Subject: Re: A good start, but that job's not done...

Legend

robstones - 2018-02-28 8:43 AM

I underestimated the return we got with Libor Hajek

He's our new top defensive prospect. Hands down

Yep! We finally have a legit pipeline of kids.....This is the most important time in Gordie Clarks career. He cannot F this up....I dont want to hear Bob Mackenzie on TV at the draft say "look for the Rangers to go outside the box here" Take the best dam player possible...no one under 6'
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-28 7:08 AM (#699034 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

There is no good reason to keep Kreider, Zuc or Zib if we can get value for them. This season is over and we have a lottery pick....Next Season we should try for a lottery pick too. 2019-2020 is when the comeback starts
x10003q
Posted 2018-02-28 7:10 AM (#699035 - in reply to #699026)

MVP

walter t - 2018-02-28 7:20 AM

I'm probably in the minority but I don't see Zibby or Kreider being traded. And though I'd be fine with it if it did happen I don't see anyone wanting Zibby and his big contract.

$5.35 million for a 24 year old, top 6 center for 4 more years? Nobody wants that? Really?
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-28 8:10 AM (#699036 - in reply to #699035)

Legend

The contract isn’t bad bud he’s a soft perimeter player who has concussion issues ....we lost that trade....Brassard still brings back a 1 and a legit prospect
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2018-02-28 8:15 AM (#699039 - in reply to #699025)

Legend

NYR # 1 - 2018-02-28 6:02 AM

I guess I'll reverse that and say I don't see what getting rid of him by the end of the year really accomplishes. Less than 20 games left, losing is the absolute best result for this team, is making Ruff an interim for 20 games really going to matter when the whole staff will be new next season?

The Rangers are looking to make more moves before draft... firing AV now and challenging your remaining players to finish the season playing hard under a new coach... new system, Ruff does have a different system, or get another coach.

There’s not enough time to finish the season in the playoffs ... but by keeping him your sending the message it’s not the coaches fault... the Rangers being out shot, out hustled, out motivated, out scored ... unwatchable....is all the players fault.

Maybe you would get a better return out of players with different coach, maybe you keep players because they play better under a new coach or style....20 games is perfect ammount of time to go out on a high note, instead of a going down looking like demoralized fools.

The Pens lost 8 games in a row, fired their coach....hired an inexperienced bench coach and won the Cup... I know it’s to late for that here... but what if the pens made the same decision, keep the coach and get rid of players.... 2 cups would’ve been thrown down the drain.

sureshore
Posted 2018-02-28 8:40 AM (#699040 - in reply to #699039)

All-Star

Andy Bathgate - 2018-02-28 10:15 AM

I guess I'll reverse that and say I don't see what getting rid of him by the end of the year really accomplishes. Less than 20 games left, losing is the absolute best result for this team, is making Ruff an interim for 20 games really going to matter when the whole staff will be new next season?

The Rangers are looking to make more moves before draft... firing AV now and challenging your remaining players to finish the season playing hard under a new coach... new system, Ruff does have a different system, or get another coach.

There’s not enough time to finish the season in the playoffs ... but by keeping him your sending the message it’s not the coaches fault... the Rangers being out shot, out hustled, out motivated, out scored ... unwatchable....is all the players fault.

Maybe you would get a better return out of players with different coach, maybe you keep players because they play better under a new coach or style....20 games is perfect ammount of time to go out on a high note, instead of a going down looking like demoralized fools.

The Pens lost 8 games in a row, fired their coach....hired an inexperienced bench coach and won the Cup... I know it’s to late for that here... but what if the pens made the same decision, keep the coach and get rid of players.... 2 cups would’ve been thrown down the drain.

you have posted 2 different things on this thread that are spot on. Keep the logical posts coming - it's refreshing to see
robstones
Posted 2018-02-28 8:46 AM (#699041 - in reply to #699034)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2018-02-28 9:08 AM

There is no good reason to keep Kreider, Zuc or Zib if we can get value for them. This season is over and we have a lottery pick....Next Season we should try for a lottery pick too. 2019-2020 is when the comeback starts

At the same time, I wouldn't trade them just to trade them. The return has to be prime. Zuccarello can be traded, but he can also be the new captain till Lias or somebody blossoms
robstones
Posted 2018-02-28 8:49 AM (#699042 - in reply to #699039)

Legend

Andy Bathgate - 2018-02-28 10:15 AM

I don't want to finish strong. I want to get into the top 5 of the draft
NYR # 1
Posted 2018-02-28 8:54 AM (#699043 - in reply to #698915)

Rookie

Yeah, I'll respectfully disagree with you AB. This whole staff will be gone come April. Gone before the draft. Bringing in Ruff as interim does nothing IMO. And why would we want to win now...to get the 9th pick instead of the 6th pick (and less of a shot at winning the lottery).

If they fired AV recently I would have been fine. If they let him finish out the season and fire him in April, I am fine with that as well. I really don't think it matters right now given it will be a whole new staff next season anyway. Keeping him does give us some fun talking points the next 6 weeks though as mentioned.

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-28 10:27 AM (#699054 - in reply to #699041)

Legend

robstones - 2018-02-28 10:46 AM

At the same time, I wouldn't trade them just to trade them. The return has to be prime. Zuccarello can be traded, but he can also be the new captain till Lias or somebody blossoms

Of Course bro.....We trade them with surgical precision.... We trade Kreider or Zuc with some of our premium picks to get 2 spots in the top of the draft....or...Winnipeg doesnt have a 1st round pick....Trouba? Calgary doesnt have a 1st either ...Tzkachuck?
Rranger
Posted 2018-02-28 10:35 AM (#699055 - in reply to #698915)

All-Star

Nobody needs to wiorry about the Rangers winning enough to damage their potential draft position. They will tank no matter who is coaching. Chewy has successfully planted that seed. This is a opportunity to get a different read on new and leftover Rangers. They have been playing the same crap style since bozo got here with very little deviations or adjustments. If stupid stays he’s going to continue his status quo trying to do whatever it is he’s trying to do playing the only way he knows. Get a new temporary coach til the end of the season change things up see who responds who doesn’t, and gain a different perspective on the players.
Arniel can mop up using game plans, line combos, and d pairs, management wants to see. Instead ,of watching chewy accomplish nothing. It’s a extended training camp opportunity for the Rangers to evaluate players doing things differently. Simplify the game plan to a basic defensive system and let them buck offensively. Instead of watching a moron coach play one of his only shooters on a fourth line with stone hand line mates, move him up the lineup and move obvious players down. It’s a seldom available opportunity to evaluate they will blow with chewy here. .

Edited by Rranger 2018-02-28 10:50 AM
Rranger
Posted 2018-02-28 10:38 AM (#699056 - in reply to #699054)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-02-28 9:27 AM

Of Course bro.....We trade them with surgical precision.... We trade Kreider or Zuc with some of our premium picks to get 2 spots in the top of the draft....or...Winnipeg doesnt have a 1st round pick....Trouba? Calgary doesnt have a 1st either ...Tzkachuck?

Calgary won’t trade Thachuk, who’s brother Brady is at the top of my list for a forward. Number one center ability with all the gamer tough additional attributes.

Edited by Rranger 2018-02-28 10:39 AM
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-28 10:42 AM (#699057 - in reply to #699056)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-02-28 12:38 PM

Calgary won’t trade Thachuk, who’s brother Brady is at the top of my list for a forward. Number one center ability with all the gamer tough additional attributes.

Yeah its less likely...but maybe worth the inquire....Trouba I think is gettable ....Young Tzkachuk def 1 of the 4 Elites ....We need 1 of them....I can see us trying to get 2 picks in top of draft
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-28 10:46 AM (#699059 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

Kreider and 2 of our lower 1's can get us in the top of the draft
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2018-02-28 12:06 PM (#699061 - in reply to #699055)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-02-28 12:35 PM

Nobody needs to wiorry about the Rangers winning enough to damage their potential draft position. They will tank no matter who is coaching. Chewy has successfully planted that seed. This is a opportunity to get a different read on new and leftover Rangers. They have been playing the same crap style since bozo got here with very little deviations or adjustments. If stupid stays he’s going to continue his status quo trying to do whatever it is he’s trying to do playing the only way he knows. Get a new temporary coach til the end of the season change things up see who responds who doesn’t, and gain a different perspective on the players.
Arniel can mop up using game plans, line combos, and d pairs, management wants to see. Instead ,of watching chewy accomplish nothing. It’s a extended training camp opportunity for the Rangers to evaluate players doing things differently. Simplify the game plan to a basic defensive system and let them buck offensively. Instead of watching a moron coach play one of his only shooters on a fourth line with stone hand line mates, move him up the lineup and move obvious players down. It’s a seldom available opportunity to evaluate they will blow with chewy here. .

I agree...

Andy Bathgate
Posted 2018-02-28 12:19 PM (#699062 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

The Rangers really screwed up by not firing AV after that Ottawa series... How many playoff games have AV coached teams lost when going into the third with a goal or 2 leads... all because of bad line choices at crucial times. Then they have a horrific start this year... if not for the hot goaltending by Hank, he would've been fired... the guy rides the coat tails of Hank and then throws him under the bus to the media. How about AV come up with a system where they don't give up 15 point blank shots after the first 10 minutes every game.

...SO now we have to rely on the same bozo who didn't fire AV, who brought this team into a season without viable Centers... to rebuild. Good Luck! I wouldn't be surprised if they did keep him next year. When Dolan and gang like someone they stick around for a long time... look at Sather.

Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-02-28 1:26 PM (#699065 - in reply to #698944)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-02-27 6:54 AM

Nash had 28 points and was making 8 mil....and we got 5 pieces for him.....I like Miller but he is so inconsistent...he is a bottom 9 forward....Mac is not nearly the same player he was in 2014 ....He is in the beginning stages of broken down old man...Grabner spent many games on the 4th line....and the fact we got usable parts for Holden is amazing

Saying he's a bottom 9 forward, is also saying he's a top 6 forward!

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-28 2:42 PM (#699069 - in reply to #699065)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2018-02-28 3:26 PM

Nash had 28 points and was making 8 mil....and we got 5 pieces for him.....I like Miller but he is so inconsistent...he is a bottom 9 forward....Mac is not nearly the same player he was in 2014 ....He is in the beginning stages of broken down old man...Grabner spent many games on the 4th line....and the fact we got usable parts for Holden is amazing

hahaha yep...but he is not Zib or anything...Zib is Easily one of our best guys
sureshore
Posted 2018-02-28 3:03 PM (#699070 - in reply to #699056)

All-Star

Yeah - why would Calgary even think of dealing Tkaczuk? He's got another year at 925G and then is an RFA after that. Calgary loaded with young talent aren't getting rid of any key pieces anytime soon
DaTeL
Posted 2018-02-28 3:21 PM (#699071 - in reply to #699062)

Legend

Andy Bathgate - 2018-02-28 8:19 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they did keep him next year. When Dolan and gang like someone they stick around for a long time... look at Sather.

Geez Andy...you're giving me goosebumps with your stone cold logic in this thread.

I mean I was at 50-50 that AV is here next season. Now what you said here pushed me to 65-35...and I don't like that one bit!

Rranger
Posted 2018-02-28 3:26 PM (#699072 - in reply to #699070)

All-Star

sureshore - 2018-02-28 2:03 PM

Yeah - why would Calgary even think of dealing Tkaczuk? He's got another year at 925G and then is an RFA after that. Calgary loaded with young talent aren't getting rid of any key pieces anytime soon

All that and he's a tough hard nosed in your face player with a sweet set of skills. Mathew Tkachuk is one hell of a player and if the Rangers got their hands on Brady Thachuk they should be so lucky as have him be a take off of Mathew Tkachuk. I've read Brady could go as high as second overall. He won't be around long.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-02-28 3:38 PM (#699073 - in reply to #699069)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-02-28 2:42 PM

Rangerjunkie - 2018-02-28 3:26 PM

hahaha yep...but he is not Zib or anything...Zib is Easily one of our best guys

x10003q
Posted 2018-02-28 4:24 PM (#699076 - in reply to #699071)

MVP

DaTeL - 2018-02-28 5:21 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they did keep him next year. When Dolan and gang like someone they stick around for a long time... look at Sather.

Geez Andy...you're giving me goosebumps with your stone cold logic in this thread.

I mean I was at 50-50 that AV is here next season. Now what you said here pushed me to 65-35...and I don't like that one bit!

Sadly, i agree with the sentiment. How is the coach who always has problems with young guy mistakes going to deal with a whole team of young guys? 2 lines and 2 sets of d after some mistakes?

Andy Bathgate
Posted 2018-02-28 4:40 PM (#699077 - in reply to #699076)

Legend

x10003q - 2018-02-28 6:24 PM

Sadly, i agree with the sentiment. How is the coach who always has problems with young guy mistakes going to deal with a whole team of young guys? 2 lines and 2 sets of d after some mistakes?

Funny, I was just reading some old news articles from when they first hired AV, and that was actually on his resume " Has consistent problems tolerating and working in young players over his years in Vancouver"... nothing changed here in NY and now he has a team of young players. Must be torture for him.

Andy Bathgate
Posted 2018-02-28 4:47 PM (#699078 - in reply to #699071)

Legend

I think if you don't criticize the Dolan -Sather kingpins you're safe, Torts criticized Sathers player moves in 2013 and was fired 2 days later... they blamed Hank threats and the benching of Richards... but it was Torts throwing Sather under the bus in the media.

NYR # 1
Posted 2018-02-28 5:25 PM (#699079 - in reply to #698915)

Rookie

Like I said, not firing AV will give us something to talk (complain) about for 2 more months. Outside of that it really doesn't matter. Fire him with 25 games left and put in an interim coach who will be gone with the whole staff in April OR keep AV as dead man walking through the remainder of the season and then fire along with the rest of the staff in April. Really doesn't matter either way. But where is does matter is on this board. If he did get fired 10 days ago what would people talk about until the lead up to the draft. So thank you Gorton for giving us that.

As for this question: How is the coach who always has problems with young guy mistakes going to deal with a whole team of young guys? 2 lines and 2 sets of d after some mistakes?

Answer is he isn't going to have to deal with it because he will not be the coach after 19 more 100000% meaningless games.

Rranger
Posted 2018-02-28 5:38 PM (#699080 - in reply to #698915)

All-Star

Torts got this whole thing going in the right direction and left something, then Herb Tarleck comes along and drives it into a write off. So many squandered opportunities. The only thing he will leave behind is a forwarding address to mail his ****.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-02-28 5:51 PM (#699082 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

Fire the whole staff right after the last game....Look for the replacement guy now
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2018-02-28 6:40 PM (#699086 - in reply to #699079)

Legend

NYR # 1 - 2018-02-28 7:25 PM

Like I said, not firing AV will give us something to talk (complain) about for 2 more months. Outside of that it really doesn't matter. Fire him with 25 games left and put in an interim coach who will be gone with the whole staff in April OR keep AV as dead man walking through the remainder of the season and then fire along with the rest of the staff in April. Really doesn't matter either way. But where is does matter is on this board. If he did get fired 10 days ago what would people talk about until the lead up to the draft. So thank you Gorton for giving us that.

As for this question: How is the coach who always has problems with young guy mistakes going to deal with a whole team of young guys? 2 lines and 2 sets of d after some mistakes?

Answer is he isn't going to have to deal with it because he will not be the coach after 19 more 100000% meaningless games.

Would you put your money on him being gone after 19 games? LOL ... If you would you're related to Ranger management.

Again we disagree on this, which is fine... I'd rather watch decent hockey than have something to talk about.

I refer back to the Pens fired their coach, mid-season, not the players, win two cups. Imagine if they blew up that team.... Again to late here, but would've been nice to see the coach go first and see what Grots collection of players can do under another coach before slicing them up.

NYR # 1
Posted 2018-02-28 7:06 PM (#699088 - in reply to #698915)

Rookie

I would put my money on it. I see no way he is back next season. They'll do it in a positive way like we met and both agreed a parting of the ways was the way to go, but no shot AV is back IMO.

I also would rather watch decent hockey, but that ship a LONG time ago. Making a coaching change now or 2 weeks ago wouldn't change that, and even if it would have I still would rather have kept AV at that point so we lose and lose and lose to end the season and improve our pick and lottery odds.

To make sure you and I are on the same page, I am not saying he shouldn't have been fired after the Ottawa debacle (I think he certainly could have/should have been). I am not saying he shouldn't have been fired after our awful start (I think he should have been). What I am saying is once AV lasted until the big selloff public declaration by Gorton and Sather it was too late and didn't matter one bit if he was fired with 25 or so games left in a totally lost season. That's my point. Once the calendar turned to February in this lost season the time to fire AV was past and the season was lost I believe. They did the right thing focusing on the future.

And using the Pens example is not apples to apples...first it was earlier in the season AND second do we have high end talent like Crosby, Malkin and Letang?

Edited by NYR # 1 2018-02-28 7:11 PM
DaTeL
Posted 2018-02-28 10:21 PM (#699318 - in reply to #699077)

Legend

Andy Bathgate - 2018-03-01 12:40 AM

x10003q - 2018-02-28 6:24 PM

Funny, I was just reading some old news articles from when they first hired AV, and that was actually on his resume " Has consistent problems tolerating and working in young players over his years in Vancouver"... nothing changed here in NY and now he has a team of young players. Must be torture for him.

This might mean he's staying, the Rangers will bundle up the picks they got now to move up into top 3, and then load up with UFAs in the off-season.
So you have just a kid or three and the rest of the team is what AV luvs - soft gum-chewing vets.

Doesn't that sound just dandy?
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-03-01 5:53 AM (#699340 - in reply to #699079)

All-Star

NYR # 1 - 2018-02-28 5:25 PM

These last 19 games are not meaningless. We need to lose as many as possible to move up the draft board and get more ping pong balls.
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2018-03-01 6:28 AM (#699341 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

If you want them to lose all their games for a higher pick, The Rangers need to bench Hank, and start the Wolfpack every game... because NHL players who are playing for contracts or may not be here next year don't care about high draft picks.... this leave AV in there so we can lose, may not work out.

robstones
Posted 2018-03-01 6:37 AM (#699342 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

We had a good effort, but would've lost big time had we not been playing against Vancouver. We won last night, but I'm not worried about our ability to tank with this group... we were up 3-0 and the suck ass canucks almost completed their comeback.... had that been almost any lther team in the league.... who knows?
robstones
Posted 2018-03-01 6:53 AM (#699345 - in reply to #698915)

Legend

Spooner 5 pts in 2 GP
Nash 1 in 2

Miller 0... not even a shot on goal
Namestikov 1g 1a 3 sog

Edited by robstones 2018-03-01 6:56 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version