Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll Rangers own #9 overall pick (What happens in the lottery)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Rangers own #9 overall pick (What happens in the lottery)
OptionResults
Move up more than 3 positions7 Votes - [23.33%]
Move up 1-3 positions3 Votes - [10%]
No move at all14 Votes - [46.67%]
Move down 1-3 positions3 Votes - [10%]
Move down more than 3 positions1 Votes - [3.33%]
Doesn't matter they'll make a bad choice2 Votes - [6.67%]
Add your own option:

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-08 5:03 PM (#704016 - in reply to #702887)
Subject: Re: Rangers own #9 overall pick (What happens in the lottery)

Legend

Dobson is one of 3 along with Wahlstrom and Tkachuk I hope we get....Dobson is regarded as the big strong defenseman
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ranjaz023
Posted 2018-05-08 7:14 PM (#704017 - in reply to #704016)

All-Star

I'd empty the pick bank and try and trade up as high as possible and see if I can get 2 in the top 10. BlueshirtBanter (i think) had a phenomenal article on the costs of trading up in the draft. Truth is, its not that expensive. When looking at picks for picks trades you can move up several spots in the draft if you kick in your 2nd rounder. The Rangers can EASILY pair a 1st (BOS #26) AND their 2nd to move into the 15-18 range. They can (if they wanted) pair that 1st rounder with theirs at 9 to move up even more. There have been rumors of Carolina taking offers for their 2nd overall. Would they take the 9th and say 15th from Florida for the 2nd? They could even throw in a 3rd. I am willing to pay the price to move up because of the odds of getting good NHL players in the draft.

The odds of finding a player to make it in the NHL are so crazy after the top 2. The odds swing wildly as you move down the draft. Inside the top 10 (which are still good players) but as you move down the draft to the 20's there is a less than a 30 percent chance of finding a player that will play 200 games.

The odds totally collapse in the second round, where the odds of finding a solid NHL player drop to less than 50 percent. *No player selected in the 28th spot played more games than Shean Donovan. Claude Lemieux is the best player ever taken 26th overall. Not to say there aren't BETTER players taken AFTER those spots but why play with the odds? Why fight history? It's an interesting conversation to have:

Should you always try and trade up knowing finding good NHL players beyond the top 10 is basically a totally roll of the dice?
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-08 7:25 PM (#704019 - in reply to #704017)

Legend

Yep true.....the odds of all 3 #1’s making it to the Rangers are not good .....absolutely trade up or use the 2 low 1’s to get an already established young player
concust
Posted 2018-05-09 7:38 AM (#704028 - in reply to #704017)

Legend

Ranjaz023 - 2018-05-08 8:14 PM

Should you always try and trade up knowing finding good NHL players beyond the top 10 is basically a totally roll of the dice?

No this is actually the downside of looking at draft numbers ordinally, there is a normal human desire to force a level of equivalence between where you pick.

Rather than look at where you pick, you need to look at the draft talent pool, and make your own determinations about where the talent pools are and where you perceive the cutoffs to be.

For example, one year, there may be a consensus top 3, and then a whole bunch of ambiguity and no consensus between 4 and 15. In a draft like that, if you hold 7 and 10, do you trade them both and move up to 5? No, because you'd be picking from the same pool. The smarter play would be to hold the two picks and basically double your chances of getting good players, again because you're still in the same pool. It may even make sense to trade down a couple spots for one of the picks, if 4-15 are all roughly equivalent.

So no, there is nothing magical about "top-10" except it's a nice round number. Some drafts it's probably a top 5, and then a second tier of 5-15, other drafts it might be a top 15 and then a crapshoot. It's dangerous to evaluate from the outside looking in.

This year, in my opinion, there is a clear cut top 3, and then a second tier from 4-8. 9-16 (or thereabouts) is the third tier, and then your late first round picks honestly may as well be high second round picks because there's not too much difference between what you'll get with Tampa's pick, and NYR's natural second round pick (40th overall).

To answer your question, I think if there's a reasonable deal to be had in order to package #9 and something else in order to move up to that second tier, then you do it. On the flip side, with us being at the top of the third tier, I'd also say there's a pretty good chance one of those 4-8 guys will fall. But will it be the guy you want? Who knows (probably not). So trade up if it's important to you. So basically, if you can move up a tier and it's affordable, then do it. If you can't, play more hands (keep your picks) and assume they're not all going to make it.

For the late first round picks that we have, I would not trade them up unless one is used in the aforementioned deal to get higher than 8th overall. The difference between a 26 and a 28 and a 35 and a 40 is negligible and not worth giving up additional assets.
robstones
Posted 2018-05-09 9:28 AM (#704032 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

At the same time though, Rangers took 2 players who were boarderline NHL ready out of the gate last year at #7 and #21..... most people didn't have Chytil in the 1st round.... called him a reach..... So I'm very comfortable with The Rangers scouting staff having 5 of the top 50 picks

At I'd say the odds are pretty good that The Rangers can have a player fall to them.... Evan Bouchard, for example.... It's interesting that not many have a center going in the top 10. It's all defense and wingers. All it would take is a team in the top 8 wanting to draft a center they covet, and The Rangers get a "second tier" guy.

And really The Rangers need a top pair righty D.

Lindgren, Hajek, Skjei, Rykov, Day.... they're all lefty. Because of that I don't think they take a LHD in the 1st round at all ( some mock drafts have us selecting Ty Smith with Noah Dobson on the board). So, there's a good chance in The Rangers filling that need at #9 by drafting the best available player.

Boqvist, Bouchard, or Dobson could fall to us. Quinn Hughes and Whalstrom are the only other players who could potentially fall.

With Hughes playing with NHLers on Team USA, I think his stock is rising....
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 10:48 AM (#704040 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

There is going to definitely be alot in play between now and the Draft....Kreider, Zuc and the 3 #1's and who knows who else? ....Boqvist is on the small side and just had a concussion...Hell No on him....Dobson Hell Yes.....Quinn will get eaten alive in his own end....Hell No
sureshore
Posted 2018-05-09 2:03 PM (#704044 - in reply to #704028)

All-Star

concust - 2018-05-09 9:38 AM

No this is actually the downside of looking at draft numbers ordinally, there is a normal human desire to force a level of equivalence between where you pick.

Rather than look at where you pick, you need to look at the draft talent pool, and make your own determinations about where the talent pools are and where you perceive the cutoffs to be.

For example, one year, there may be a consensus top 3, and then a whole bunch of ambiguity and no consensus between 4 and 15. In a draft like that, if you hold 7 and 10, do you trade them both and move up to 5? No, because you'd be picking from the same pool. The smarter play would be to hold the two picks and basically double your chances of getting good players, again because you're still in the same pool. It may even make sense to trade down a couple spots for one of the picks, if 4-15 are all roughly equivalent.

So no, there is nothing magical about "top-10" except it's a nice round number. Some drafts it's probably a top 5, and then a second tier of 5-15, other drafts it might be a top 15 and then a crapshoot. It's dangerous to evaluate from the outside looking in.

This year, in my opinion, there is a clear cut top 3, and then a second tier from 4-8. 9-16 (or thereabouts) is the third tier, and then your late first round picks honestly may as well be high second round picks because there's not too much difference between what you'll get with Tampa's pick, and NYR's natural second round pick (40th overall).

To answer your question, I think if there's a reasonable deal to be had in order to package #9 and something else in order to move up to that second tier, then you do it. On the flip side, with us being at the top of the third tier, I'd also say there's a pretty good chance one of those 4-8 guys will fall. But will it be the guy you want? Who knows (probably not). So trade up if it's important to you. So basically, if you can move up a tier and it's affordable, then do it. If you can't, play more hands (keep your picks) and assume they're not all going to make it.

For the late first round picks that we have, I would not trade them up unless one is used in the aforementioned deal to get higher than 8th overall. The difference between a 26 and a 28 and a 35 and a 40 is negligible and not worth giving up additional assets.

very good analysis
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 2:07 PM (#704045 - in reply to #704044)

Legend

Thats also why you should trade them to teams that dont have a 1st
Ranjaz023
Posted 2018-05-09 3:53 PM (#704047 - in reply to #704028)

All-Star

concust - 2018-05-09 7:38 AM

I agree there are different "tiers" of players that central scouting puts out but when you look at the numbers which are extrapolated over 20 years of drafts the numbers don't lie. Outside picks 9-11 the chances of getting a player that percentages say you got something you could work with drop off the cliff. I hope my original comment wasn't taken as "if you are outside the top 10 the players are garbage" because that certainly is not the case but the chances of getting a serviceable player goes down. Thats why I wonder if teams near that top 9-10 cutoff will do what they have to in order to move up.

I always looked at the NHL draft as:
1st overall - should be an All Star and a household name for years to come
2nd - Likely All star
3 - Legit All Star potential
4-6 - 2nd liners, not insane to think they could be all stars in the right situations
7-10 - Solid NHL players. Guys you could consider "core" players. -not insane to think 1 could be an all star
11-20 - 2nd/3rd liners, legit guys. 1 or 2 could be a surprise but don't think you are getting the next Hart trophy winner here unless clearly everyone had it wrong
21-31 - likely NHL guys but 3rd/4th liners or bottom pair D men. Everyone needs em.
2nd round - lotto tickets with the best odds
3rd round on - no difference in the players. If someone comes up and is very good (like Hank) then the teams scouting had it totally wrong.

I'd basically sell the lotto ticket picks and stock up on guys that have the best chance to be NHL players.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 3:58 PM (#704048 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

Indeed...and since Gordie took a 3rd Rounder in Lias with the #7 pick....Even more reason to trade the picks for ready made NHL talent.....There is no way on Earth the Rangers are picking 3 top 6 forwards or top 4 D men with their 1st round picks....
concust
Posted 2018-05-09 4:00 PM (#704049 - in reply to #704032)

Legend

robstones - 2018-05-09 10:28 AM

Lindgren, Hajek, Skjei, Rykov, Day.... they're all lefty. Because of that I don't think they take a LHD in the 1st round at all ( some mock drafts have us selecting Ty Smith with Noah Dobson on the board). So, there's a good chance in The Rangers filling that need at #9 by drafting the best available player.

Boqvist, Bouchard, or Dobson could fall to us. Quinn Hughes and Whalstrom are the only other players who could potentially fall.

Rangers could really use a guy who projects as a top pair, right now we don't have that. Skjei as of now looks like a great second pair guy, not positive he can be a true #1 in the NHL.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 4:03 PM (#704050 - in reply to #704049)

Legend

concust - 2018-05-09 6:00 PM

robstones - 2018-05-09 10:28 AM

Rangers could really use a guy who projects as a top pair, right now we don't have that. Skjei as of now looks like a great second pair guy, not positive he can be a true #1 in the NHL.

Absolutely.....If Wahlstrom is gone but Dobson is available.....and Jacob Trouba
concust
Posted 2018-05-09 4:08 PM (#704051 - in reply to #704047)

Legend

Ranjaz023 - 2018-05-09 4:53 PM

I agree there are different "tiers" of players that central scouting puts out but when you look at the numbers which are extrapolated over 20 years of drafts the numbers don't lie. Outside picks 9-11 the chances of getting a player that percentages say you got something you could work with drop off the cliff.

That's true, but at that point you're aggregating drafts. Aggregate enough, and all it does is mask what happens at each individual draft. And then all that will end up telling you is, if you draft higher, you get a better player.

I hope my original comment wasn't taken as "if you are outside the top 10 the players are garbage" because that certainly is not the case but the chances of getting a serviceable player goes down. Thats why I wonder if teams near that top 9-10 cutoff will do what they have to in order to move up.

I always looked at the NHL draft as:
1st overall - should be an All Star and a household name for years to come
2nd - Likely All star
3 - Legit All Star potential
4-6 - 2nd liners, not insane to think they could be all stars in the right situations
7-10 - Solid NHL players. Guys you could consider "core" players. -not insane to think 1 could be an all star
11-20 - 2nd/3rd liners, legit guys. 1 or 2 could be a surprise but don't think you are getting the next Hart trophy winner here unless clearly everyone had it wrong
21-31 - likely NHL guys but 3rd/4th liners or bottom pair D men. Everyone needs em.
2nd round - lotto tickets with the best odds
3rd round on - no difference in the players. If someone comes up and is very good (like Hank) then the teams scouting had it totally wrong.

I'd basically sell the lotto ticket picks and stock up on guys that have the best chance to be NHL players.

So would you trade all your picks to get the one single highest pick you can, given the opportunity?

robstones
Posted 2018-05-09 4:19 PM (#704052 - in reply to #704048)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2018-05-09 5:58 PM

Indeed...and since Gordie took a 3rd Rounder in Lias with the #7 pick....Even more reason to trade the picks for ready made NHL talent.....There is no way on Earth the Rangers are picking 3 top 6 forwards or top 4 D men with their 1st round picks....

What? Lias is a really good center! 3rd rounder..... in what world??
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 4:29 PM (#704054 - in reply to #704052)

Legend

robstones - 2018-05-09 6:19 PM

Mikey Red - 2018-05-09 5:58 PM

What? Lias is a really good center! 3rd rounder..... in what world??

I must be honest...I am not impressed with him at all. I dont think he can keep up with the speed out there...Middlestadt was there...Why on Earth did Gorton not take him?
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 4:38 PM (#704057 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

Rangers are the team that other teams hope "mess up" and cause a good player to fall to them....I mean seriously...2010 when they took Mclrath at the #10....Pierre right there on TV said he was a project....What was the scouting dept thinking? Last year...rangers are up...Vilardi and Middlstadt are there and Bob Mackenzie comes on TV and says "look for the Rangers to go outside the box here" and they take Lias....
van'70
Posted 2018-05-09 5:44 PM (#704059 - in reply to #704040)

Rookie

Mikey Red - 2018-05-09 12:48 PM

There is going to definitely be alot in play between now and the Draft....Kreider, Zuc and the 3 #1's and who knows who else? ....Boqvist is on the small side and just had a concussion...Hell No on him....Dobson Hell Yes.....Quinn will get eaten alive in his own end....Hell No

......."a lot in play between now and the Draft......Kreider"........I stopped reading there..........you really think Kreider is in play?????
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 6:03 PM (#704060 - in reply to #704059)

Legend

van'70 - 2018-05-09 7:44 PM

Mikey Red - 2018-05-09 12:48 PM

......."a lot in play between now and the Draft......Kreider"........I stopped reading there..........you really think Kreider is in play?????

I would trade him in the right deal in a heartbeat....The guy goes missing 20 games at a time. I guarantee you most Ranger fans feel the same way
Rranger
Posted 2018-05-09 7:11 PM (#704061 - in reply to #702887)

All-Star

If you look at Five different so called expert draft lists you will see 5 different ones including 5 different tier groups. None are the same and for that reason teams go to great lengths to keep their lists secret. Every year there are surprises. Go back to the 2016 Mathews, Laine, Dubois, Puijujarvi draft, all the talking heads were aghast Columbus took Dubois at three instead of Puijujarvi , Edmonton GM Cherallii was supposedly all smiles about getting Puijujarvi, and now it’s almost another notch in his multiple Edmonton screwup belt. If I had a dollar for every time a team said they didn’t expect to be able to pick the player where they did, I’d be rich.
Personally I didn’t like the Andersson pick last year with Middlestadt still there, warmed up a bit to Andersson after reading the post draft propaganda, but after seeing him have gone back to not liking the pick, but we will see. Middlestadt is going to be a key guy on Buffalos PP as early as next season. Will Andersson ever be?
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 7:14 PM (#704062 - in reply to #704061)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-05-09 9:11 PM

If you look at Five different so called expert draft lists you will see 5 different ones including 5 different tier groups. None are the same and for that reason teams go to great lengths to keep their lists secret. Every year there are surprises. Go back to the 2016 Mathews, Laine, Dubois, Puijujarvi draft, all the talking heads were aghast Columbus took Dubois at three instead of Puijujarvi , Edmonton GM Cherallii was supposedly all smiles about getting Puijujarvi, and now it’s almost another notch in his multiple Edmonton screwup belt. If I had a dollar for every time a team said they didn’t expect to be able to pick the player where they did, I’d be rich.
Personally I didn’t like the Andersson pick last year with Middlestadt still there, warmed up a bit to Andersson after reading the post draft propaganda, but after seeing him have gone back to not liking the pick, but we will see. Middlestadt is going to be a key guy on Buffalos PP as early as next season. Will Andersson ever be?

Spot on Man.....Is it Gordie or JG that is screwing things up?
robstones
Posted 2018-05-09 7:43 PM (#704063 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

Will Andersson be on the PP? Not sure. Possible. They drafted the kid playing with men, over the highschooler....
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 7:51 PM (#704066 - in reply to #704063)

Legend

robstones - 2018-05-09 9:43 PM

Will Andersson be on the PP? Not sure. Possible. They drafted the kid playing with men, over the highschooler....

Im escared Rob....I don't think he's all that good....If all he ends being is a bottom 9 forward...then the pick is a failure........Heatl stands out when on the ice...also when Lias threw his silver medal away....Is he a spoiled brat? bad attitude type?
robstones
Posted 2018-05-09 7:51 PM (#704067 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

I like Bode Wilde, too. If they reached and called Bode Wilde at 9, I wouldn't be mad
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 7:54 PM (#704070 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

I hope to the Hockey Gods that we will not be picking 9th
Rranger
Posted 2018-05-09 7:56 PM (#704071 - in reply to #704066)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-05-09 6:51 PM

Im escared Rob....I don't think he's all that good....If all he ends being is a bottom 9 forward...then the pick is a failure........Heatl stands out when on the ice...also when Lias threw his silver medal away....Is he a spoiled brat? bad attitude type?

Middlestadt can play in any league Andersson did.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 7:59 PM (#704072 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

And as much as I wanted Stepan and that awful contract gone....and trading a very good goalie in Raanta....can you imagine if all 3 of Lias, Heatl and TD dont pan out?
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 8:02 PM (#704073 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

I need to know who's calling the draft shots. If Gordie is insisting on these guys....To me this is his last shot to save his job....If He doesnt take the BPA...he should be canned
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-09 8:04 PM (#704074 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

I also Hope to the Hockey Gods that JG didnt pick Lias and Heatl because he thought they could step in and fill 2 Center spots last season as 18 yr olds...If he did...He should be fired
robstones
Posted 2018-05-09 8:11 PM (#704075 - in reply to #704071)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-05-09 9:56 PM

Could, but didn't. So, though he has a lot of skill, he was playing against highschoolers. Dominating, highschool hockey. Lias producing as a 17 year old against guys literally twice his age. He was a proven safer pick.

He was projected to go 12th by most, and they took him at 7.

I wanted Necas
Rranger
Posted 2018-05-09 9:04 PM (#704076 - in reply to #704075)

All-Star

robstones - 2018-05-09 7:11 PM

Rranger - 2018-05-09 9:56 PM

Could, but didn't. So, though he has a lot of skill, he was playing against highschoolers. Dominating, highschool hockey. Lias producing as a 17 year old against guys literally twice his age. He was a proven safer pick.

He was projected to go 12th by most, and they took him at 7.

I wanted Necas

With less upside.
robstones
Posted 2018-05-09 9:27 PM (#704078 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

Pavel Brendl had so much upside....
Rranger
Posted 2018-05-09 9:41 PM (#704079 - in reply to #702887)

All-Star

Maybe you need to watch Middlestadt play like when he outplayed Andersson at the World juniors and outscored Andersson in their limited NHL play this season. Which goes to show you it’s not who your playing against when your drafted, it’s how you play when you get your chance. I’d be more worried about Andersson being Brendl. Just agree to disagree Rob. We can let time show what will be.
concust
Posted 2018-05-10 11:53 AM (#704099 - in reply to #704066)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2018-05-09 8:51 PM

"I don't like losing, I think, no one really wants to be second place or have a silver medal in a tournament... you want to win everything."

Who said that? Is he a spoiled brat, bad attitude player?

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-05-10 12:09 PM (#704100 - in reply to #702887)

Legend

Who knows...but his silver medal temper tantrum was not cool
robstones
Posted 2018-05-10 12:31 PM (#704101 - in reply to #704100)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2018-05-10 2:09 PM

Who knows...but his silver medal temper tantrum was not cool

Meh it wasn't that big of a deal to me. I'm not sure that silver medal is going to be a major prized piece. He tossed it to Swedish fan.... was emotional about the loss..... can focus on that if you'd like

What about that he wore the C for Sweden..... not Alex Nylander.... not Elias Pettersson..... who Lias scored 6g while Pettersson scored 5..... Middelstadt scored 4g

Elite scorerer in this draft Filip Zadina scored 7g. Not too sure why you'd be concerned he's not that good, or doesn't have offense.

He does, he's just not quite as flashy about it.

Edited by robstones 2018-05-10 12:32 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software