Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kovalchuk to sign 2/3 Yr Deal 6 M P/Y with Rangers
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Andy Bathgate
Posted 2018-04-09 4:42 PM (#703113 - in reply to #703094)
Subject: Re: Kovalchuk to sign 2/3 Yr Deal 6 M P/Y with Rangers

Legend

Mjolnir - 2018-04-09 3:45 PM

concust - 2018-04-09 12:45 PM

Mjolnir - 2018-04-09 11:00 AM

Mikey Red - 2018-04-09 11:58 AM

So lets extend Peter Holland then...problem solved
Now you're just being obtuse.

OK then tell us who these talented players you have in mind are, that are younger and can be had for less money.

I've already said I haven't had time to go over rosters and lists....but can you honestly say that I'm wrong and that they are no younger and/or talented players that are younger and cost less and would have a beneficial impact on the team?

They need a 30-40 natural goal scorer... not saying its Kov, the team got rid of Nash and need to replace 1. the goals, 2. the star power 3. game changer...Nash was getting $8.5 million... If Kov scorers 30-40 goals for $6 Mil, isn't that a bargain? Again not saying he's the guy... but who's out there that can bring these 3 things for $6 mil or less? How much would a player like Tavares cost.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-04-09 5:00 PM (#703114 - in reply to #703102)

Legend

Blue404 - 2018-04-09 4:34 PM

Mikey Red - 2018-04-09 11:59 AM

Kovalchuck is still an elite talent
Maybe he is a talent in You Can Dance
NTHockey
Posted 2018-04-09 7:15 PM (#703121 - in reply to #703112)

All-Star

Andy Bathgate - 2018-04-09 6:31 PM

Mjolnir - 2018-04-09 3:42 PM
PP has been a concern since end of the first lockout....it's one of the reasons Pearn and eventually Renney were fired...and it wasn't any better under Torts..yet they kept bringing in PP QBs, etc., year after year.

You can say almost every move over the past 10-12 years has been in an effort to improve the PP. From Redden to Richards, Nash to MSL, Shatts to Gabrorik to D. Boyle to on and on and on.

Until the SYSTEM is changed, it doesn't matter who is on PP. It has been the same system since Emile Francis had the team. It's always get the puck, skate back to behind your net, set up, break out, skate, pass 3-5 times, lose the puck. Repeat for two minutes. Every night. There is never an attack off a turnover. Does anyone pay attention to the opposing player coming out of the penalty box? No. So change the SYSTEM first, then get the players.
Beezer34
Posted 2018-04-10 12:55 AM (#703122 - in reply to #702991)

All-Star

6 million a year for 2-3 years to get a guy who can score like he can seems a no brainer.. I know older.. but when you add him to the kids they have and who knows who else they can get to fill gaps.. but they could use a guy like that... and they do not grow on trees... so why not.
NTHockey
Posted 2018-04-10 4:50 AM (#703123 - in reply to #702991)

All-Star

Hold on. Before everybody has Kovalchuk leading the parade down Broadway, stop and consider he is STILL property of the Devils. Any talk of signing him is tampering and would cost us a LOT of picks/players. Secondly, there are two HUGE names that are going to be on the market - Tavares and Karlsson. Would we rather have one or both of them at $10M+ for 10 years or Kovalchuk at $6M for 3 years? I lean towards Tavares.

All the Kovalchuk talk may be nothing more than his agent starting a bidding war for his services. That's not a war I'd want to get into.

Edited by NTHockey 2018-04-10 4:53 AM
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-04-10 6:26 AM (#703124 - in reply to #703123)

Legend

Absolutely NO on Tavares or Karlsson....They will command ridiculous contracts that go into their mid 30's......and we will have to give up a ton of assets....This is what we are trying to get away from....We lead the league in buyouts
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-04-10 7:55 AM (#703127 - in reply to #702991)

All-Star

He may be a great influence on Buch too, and possibly the other russians coming through the pipeline
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-04-10 8:00 AM (#703128 - in reply to #703127)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2018-04-10 9:55 AM

He may be a great influence on Buch too, and possibly the other russians coming through the pipeline

Indeed!
NTHockey
Posted 2018-04-10 8:36 AM (#703130 - in reply to #703124)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-04-10 8:26 AM

Absolutely NO on Tavares or Karlsson....They will command ridiculous contracts that go into their mid 30's......and we will have to give up a ton of assets....This is what we are trying to get away from....We lead the league in buyouts

Don't have to give up assets for Taveres - UFA.
NYR # 1
Posted 2018-04-10 9:05 AM (#703132 - in reply to #702991)

Rookie

Yeah, confused on the assets part. What assets do we give up to sign a UFA?

In addition I agree fully on Karlsson. I do not agree on Tavares. I don't see any real chance he comes here and does that to the Isles, but he is the type of special talent any team can use at C. So if he wanted to come here I would certainly entertain signing Tavares.

Rranger
Posted 2018-04-10 9:43 AM (#703134 - in reply to #703079)

All-Star

NYR # 1 - 2018-04-09 10:17 AM

robstones - 2018-04-09 10:35 AM

Yeah what a terrible move, I was hoping Jesper Fast would be our top line winger again next year.

This would be questionable if The Rangers were going for a 5+ year Edmonton style rebuild.... but they're not. Rebuild is over, folks. I shouldn't have to apologize for this, but they're going to ice a good team next year....

This is the key as I have said over and over. I don't think some of you understand that or want to accept that. You are thinking all kids and a multi-year rebuild and tanking...that is NOT happening here. People really need to adjust their minds on this. We won't go signing all these free agents for 4,5 and 6 years, but there is no way this becomes an all kids 5 year plan...NO SHOT.

I think the confusion is on your part and you under estimate how many people understand Gorton’s vision. That the idea is you try to win every year. Period, it’s no secret. I have seen very few posts of expectations of a long rebuild. Mostly you chirping it’s not going to be a long rebuild. We KNOW.
The only danger is the usual danger, poor free agent signings, poor drafting, poor trades. So Gorton has to nail this or it will become a long rebuild, not the more likely retool he is attempting.
NYR # 1
Posted 2018-04-10 10:25 AM (#703135 - in reply to #702991)

Rookie

I will actually disagree with that. I have seen many posts saying why would so and so sign here when we are rebuilding. We should trade this vet and that vet. So I do believe that many believe we are going into this longer rebuild. I don't think that is the plan.

I do agree that we need to do it in a smart way. Huge long term free agent signings are not smart, and I simply cannot see Gorton doing that (outside of a special player like a Tavares - which is not happening anyway). So we agree on Gorton's part here for sure. It is on him and his team to make this happen. No doubt there.

itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-04-10 1:09 PM (#703136 - in reply to #702991)

Scorer

Don't be so sure Tavares isn't signing here. Rangers usually get UFA's they want. Also, the fact Snow wasn't fired is a disgrace. I can see no way Tavares wanting to stay on that team with that mental midget running things. I wouldn't put it past him to stick it to Isles ownership by signing with the Rangers.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-04-10 1:33 PM (#703137 - in reply to #702991)

Legend

Also...who wants to play in 2 different home arenas for a couple of seasons....total disaster
robstones
Posted 2018-04-10 2:19 PM (#703141 - in reply to #702991)

Legend

Kreider screening in front on the PP with Kovalchuk set up for the one timer from Zuccs is going to be SO. LETHAL.
Steady Eddie
Posted 2018-04-10 2:59 PM (#703142 - in reply to #702991)

MVP

Karlsson's not UFA until the end of next season, but I'm happy to wait until then to sign the two-time Norris Trophy winner. Until then, give Ilya a one-year deal, nothing more. From what I've read, he wants us more then we need him.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-04-10 3:23 PM (#703143 - in reply to #702991)

Scorer

Honestly, I think they need Kovalchuk pretty bad. We have a lot of dumbasses on this roster than don't know how to play the game. Especially one Russian dumbass named Buchnevich.
NYR # 1
Posted 2018-04-10 3:31 PM (#703144 - in reply to #702991)

Rookie

I agree Kovy would be a great fit here. 2 or 3 years. 6 Mill +/- cap hit. I think that is a good smart deal.

And yes Karlsson is signed for one more year. I think he'll get moved though, but yes he would cost assets. Tavares is just $$$ though.

Beezer34
Posted 2018-04-10 4:32 PM (#703146 - in reply to #702991)

All-Star

From what I read Kovolchuck is a UFA as of July 1st and ANY team can talk to him as of April 15th... so no tampering... no nothing..... His agent has said he wants to play 2-3 more seasons in the NHL... and is looking to sign a deal in that length.. and the asking price should be about 6 million a season. If that is the case the money is cheap for what he can bring ... when you look at the guys making 4-5 million on he team.... and the length of the deal does not tie the Rangers down.

Tavares... who I am not as down on as others are... is going to be looking for a $10 pay out... and a length I would imagine in the 4-5 or more .. so a massive contract for a lengthy period. So I am not as big a fan of that given his age and that deal would see him into the mid to late 30's and no guarantee he will be worth $10 million at 35...so not as high on my list

Karlson as in John Carlson the Washington D man is a UFA at the end of the year and will be getting north of 6 million a year again asking for a lengthier term say 6 at 6 and personally if they can trade Shattenkirk then sign him as I like him WAAAAAAY more... I never liked Shattenkirk and never wanted him signed a one-dimensional player who is terrible in his own zone... WASTE OF MONEY. as for the other karlson.. if Ottawa takes Shattenkirk in the deal.. MAKE IT. I do think he is talented.. but on a team rebuilding the give up to get him seems a waste... now if the Rangers were close to winning the cup say 4 years ago.. trading for him instead of a Yandle... would have been amazing and a go for it.. but on a team of maybe nots.. and a wait and sees.. with few real NHL threats... there is no point getting a D man of his skills to play with unskilled misfits.. You will get what you have now.. a better now.. but still, a team fighting for the playoffs so not sure taking the assets you JUST traded for or are developing and giving them away for a higher skilled higher priced D man is the solution...

Now if the Rangers are looking to rebuild I think Calvin DeHann might be an economical choice to add to the blue line.. will get him for 4 million this summer can play physical and be the guy who ACTUALLY plays D while Skeji and Shattenkirk rush up and do nothing in their own zone.. think Beuekeboom to their Leetch (and in NO way are anyone on the the current or future Rangers these two)

Riley Nash might be worth kicking a tire on as his is making under a million but had a break out year but grabbing him for 2 million might be worth it (not sure I would pay more as it was ONE good season... see what he does in the playoffs to see if this is a flash in the pan or a legit corner turner.

JVR I like but like Tavares, the age and cost and length might all make it a tough one to swallow given he will be looking at 6 Million I am sure.. and for 4-5 years.

if the Rangers are looking to fill rosters.. there are HEAPS of the greybeards who can do that... Thornton... and Sharp... and Hartnell and Filppula and Stempniak..Kunitz and Stafford but I am not loving any of them... maybe Thornton.. but low money low years.. as he is still a hell of a passer and if Kovey comes to his PP with Kreider in front could be tough.. but that is a money thing more than anything.. take a million on a one year.. why not..

Also interested in the Rangers back up situation... do they go with the kid Georgiev and have him play 30 games next year... or go out and sign a guy like Dell.. or grab a bck up from some where else... with the knowledge Hank is getting older and cant play 70 games.... and with young goalie prospects coming in in time.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-04-11 6:47 AM (#703152 - in reply to #702991)

Scorer

Remember this about Tavares. Every goalie he's played with his entire career basically sucked as did his defenseman core. That is because his GM is the dumbest GM In sports. I'd like to see the guy on a team with a real goalie and some legit defenseman. Have to think a couple of those 20 year old kids they acquired at the deadline will make this team next year.
concust
Posted 2018-04-11 8:32 AM (#703153 - in reply to #703123)

Legend

NTHockey - 2018-04-10 5:50 AM

Hold on. Before everybody has Kovalchuk leading the parade down Broadway, stop and consider he is STILL property of the Devils. Any talk of signing him is tampering and would cost us a LOT of picks/players. Secondly, there are two HUGE names that are going to be on the market - Tavares and Karlsson. Would we rather have one or both of them at $10M+ for 10 years or Kovalchuk at $6M for 3 years? I lean towards Tavares.

All the Kovalchuk talk may be nothing more than his agent starting a bidding war for his services. That's not a war I'd want to get into.

Correct. We can't talk to him until April 15. I think that report out of russia was either simply fabricated (FAKE NEWS) or someone talked to him and he said he'd like to play in the NHL, maybe he even said he'd like to play for the Rangers, and it gets blown out of proportion. All these "reports" source from the same russian reporter. My guess is there's smoke but there is no fire. Like you said Gorton wouldn't risk talking to him at this point.

We couldn't sign Tavares or Karlsson for 10 years anyway under the CBA. Best we could do is 8 years, and that's if it's a sign and trade scenario. But at that point you're giving up assets to trade for a guy you could have in a couple months for just the money (minus a year of term). So that doesn't make any sense.

But to answer your question, both these guys are incredible talents but they do not fit what the Rangers are trying to do with their rebuild. They will both command high dollar, long term (that's the key) contracts and there's no point in signing them now. The past 20 years of trying to build a core through free agency should show anyone how flawed that philosophy is.

The reason Kovalchuk could work, is because he'd be the only one of the three who would be open to a short term deal. The tradeoff is of course his age. But you got to give to get. If we have $6m to spend for a guy for 2-3 years I'd prefer Nash to Kovy by a long shot. Regardless of who - signing a vet for more than 3 years at this point is a bad deal for both the team and the player.

concust
Posted 2018-04-11 8:41 AM (#703154 - in reply to #702991)

Legend

The one interesting idea I saw floated with regards to Tavares, is if he signed a one year high dollar deal with Toronto. That gives Toronto another center, and they get a year of Tavares while Matthews is still on his ELC. Matthews' next contract is going to dictate how the rest of the Leafs contracts are structured, so this would be the only year they could do this.

From Tavares' perspective, playing a year in Toronto doesn't impact his long term value (27 year old Tavares is going to be worth about the same as 28 year old Tavares), gives him a legit shot at a cup right away. The downside is of course the lack of financial security by taking a one year deal. He could buy insurance against career ending injury, but of course there's still a big risk.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-04-11 8:41 AM (#703155 - in reply to #703153)

Legend

Yep...Its finally time to put an end to the Rangers giving a massive UFA contract at the second half of a players career.....and trading for Karlsson who has alot of mileage on him and is not without injuries....will require a ton to get him ....that is asinine to go for him
concust
Posted 2018-04-11 8:42 AM (#703156 - in reply to #703155)

Legend

Mikey Red - 2018-04-11 9:41 AM

Yep...Its finally time to put an end to the Rangers giving a massive UFA contract at the second half of a players career.....and trading for Karlsson who has alot of mileage on him and is not without injuries....will require a ton to get him ....that is asinine to go for him

Yeah I don't see trading a bunch of the assets we just got to get Karlsson.
x10003q
Posted 2018-04-11 11:24 AM (#703159 - in reply to #703154)

MVP

concust - 2018-04-11 10:41 AM

The one interesting idea I saw floated with regards to Tavares, is if he signed a one year high dollar deal with Toronto. That gives Toronto another center, and they get a year of Tavares while Matthews is still on his ELC. Matthews' next contract is going to dictate how the rest of the Leafs contracts are structured, so this would be the only year they could do this.

From Tavares' perspective, playing a year in Toronto doesn't impact his long term value (27 year old Tavares is going to be worth about the same as 28 year old Tavares), gives him a legit shot at a cup right away. The downside is of course the lack of financial security by taking a one year deal. He could buy insurance against career ending injury, but of course there's still a big risk.

Taveres has high miles - 669 NHL games in 9 years, played 82 as a 19 year old. He is not a young 27.
DaTeL
Posted 2018-04-11 12:25 PM (#703161 - in reply to #702991)

Legend

I really don't understand how you can project Kovalchuk to score 30-40 goals in the today's NHL.

Last time he played real hockey (KHL ain't it) was 6 years ago. He's 35 now.
I just don't see it.

x10003q
Posted 2018-04-11 1:22 PM (#703163 - in reply to #703161)

MVP

DaTeL - 2018-04-11 2:25 PM

I really don't understand how you can project Kovalchuk to score 30-40 goals in the today's NHL.

Last time he played real hockey (KHL ain't it) was 6 years ago. He's 35 now.
I just don't see it.

Maybe if he plays with Stamkos and Kucherov .........
NYR # 1
Posted 2018-04-11 1:30 PM (#703164 - in reply to #702991)

Rookie

I personally would be shocked if Tavares signed a one year deal. I do think he leaves the Isles and goes somewhere else, but this not being baseball where there is no cap, he will have offers from many teams in the same range and I still believe he would not go to the Isles biggest rival. We'll see though.

As for Kovy, I set the bar at 25 goals. I think that is reasonable and fair. And while I don't fully buy the Russia story, I am sure feelers get sent out from Kovy's team. Maybe he mentioned to someone he was planning to be a Ranger. My point is conversations happen all the time. Wink wink discussions happen. One person talks to another person in the know. Things like that. Who knows the real story, but I do think we are the favorite to land him.

concust
Posted 2018-04-11 2:09 PM (#703165 - in reply to #703159)

Legend

x10003q - 2018-04-11 12:24 PM

concust - 2018-04-11 10:41 AM

Taveres has high miles - 669 NHL games in 9 years, played 82 as a 19 year old. He is not a young 27.

Right, but my point was that Tavares isn't going to lose a ton of value in anticipation of a long term deal, whether he signs that in this offseason or the next. a 28 year old Tavares with an extra 90 games under his belt, is still going to command a max contract.

concust
Posted 2018-04-11 2:18 PM (#703166 - in reply to #703164)

Legend

NYR # 1 - 2018-04-11 2:30 PM

I personally would be shocked if Tavares signed a one year deal. I do think he leaves the Isles and goes somewhere else, but this not being baseball where there is no cap, he will have offers from many teams in the same range and I still believe he would not go to the Isles biggest rival. We'll see though.

As for Kovy, I set the bar at 25 goals. I think that is reasonable and fair. And while I don't fully buy the Russia story, I am sure feelers get sent out from Kovy's team. Maybe he mentioned to someone he was planning to be a Ranger. My point is conversations happen all the time. Wink wink discussions happen. One person talks to another person in the know. Things like that. Who knows the real story, but I do think we are the favorite to land him.

I don't think Tavares signs a one year deal, it's kind of risky for him, and even with Tavares I don't know if Toronto is a top tier SC contender. They still have some question marks. If Toronto was a top 3 SC contender then maybe he considers it.

Kovalchuk - 25 goals seems like a fair benchmark to me also. He's 35, hasn't played in the NHL in a few years, but still has his speed and some pretty incredible hands. I would not be surprised if we were on the short list, but at the same time I think "favorite" at this point is a little too close to speculation for me.

NYR # 1
Posted 2018-04-11 2:54 PM (#703170 - in reply to #702991)

Rookie

Plus Tavares could get hurt and then where is he (and I mean major hurt - I see no shot he takes that risk...even with potential insurance).

25 goals is very fair benchmark to go in with, we agree. I also think we are the favorite. From day one last year when there was talk about him coming to the NHL we have been mentioned over and over again. Now this report comes out, which I agree is smoke but not fire, but adds more fuel. I think we are the favorite because if someone says where will Kovy sign, the Rangers would be the answer for very many people. So we are the favorite, but that could mean nothing if he decides it's about money/years (we won't have the biggest offer) OR if he decides we don't have a real shot to win.

I also agree with you that I don't se Gorton handing out any long term big deals. Those days are over. The only caveat to me is the special player like a Tavares, but your regular players like Kovy I think he caps at 3 years.

As for the Kovy or Nash discussion, I think I would prefer Kovy. I think Nash gets more years or money, but even if both were willing to sign 3 years 18 mill, I think I would still go Kovy. Tough call, but I think I'd lean that way.

concust
Posted 2018-04-11 4:03 PM (#703171 - in reply to #702991)

Legend

A long term deal for anyone at this point makes no sense in the context of a rebuild. If Kovy were to sign a short term deal, that does not interfere with the rebuild at all. If ALL the kids are playing incredible and pushing for a roster spot and Kovy is playing poorly, well - that's a great problem to have.

A 2-3 year deal would expire at a time when you know what you have with the kids and know who you want to invest in for a bridge/long term deal. It is the perfect length in context of the rest of the org imo.

Nash vs Kovy - Kovy is by far the more talented, more dynamic player. I have little doubt that he'd outscore Nash. However, I also think that Nash is a MUCH more complete player than Kovy, and I also think there is a much greater chance that younger players would look up to him, respect him. He's not the most vocal leader, but if it's Nash vs Kovy when it comes to the locker room I take Nash on a rebuilding team every time, even if you score 5-10 fewer goals.

All speculation at this point. In all fairness I didnt' ever think Kovy would come back to the NHL but looks like I may be wrong on that one.
NYR # 1
Posted 2018-04-11 5:17 PM (#703172 - in reply to #702991)

Rookie

Good debate. I take Kovy because he is new here. With Nash we have been there and done that. Our D has stunk with him (I say that because you make the point he is a more complete player - which I agree with - but what has that gotten us the past few seasons - even though that is obviously not all his fault). As for leadership, sure easy answer is Nash. With that said is that real? Did CBJ do anything with him as Captain? Did we do anything with him wearing an A? Brodeur said Kovy was a great teammate and leader. Is that gospel...nope...but do we know Nash is a better leader? Plus Kovy has been away. Maybe he has grown in that area in Russia. And we also know Nash is a total dud in the playoffs.

Add it all up and I will take my shot with Kovy all things being equal. Let's give that a try given we know the deal with Nash. The more I write here the more I think I lean Kovy over Nash if given the one for one choice.

And yes...Kovy is 100% coming back...that was always a given to me as we discussed a month or two ago.

concust
Posted 2018-04-12 9:39 AM (#703208 - in reply to #702991)

Legend

To be honest this is a situation where the debate over the player is less important than the consideration of the team. So what I personally would focus more on, is which would be better for the team, and why. Kovy may be a great leader, but I also judge a leader more than a letter on the sweater, it should be judged by mutual respect of the other players. I'm not in the room, but my guess is that Nash is going to have the edge there. Kovalchuk is a guy that left the NHL voluntarily, so right off the bat you can question his commitment to winning a Cup. Is this just a job for him? Does he value a Gargarin cup more than a Stanley? Probably, but again, I don't know for sure.

Kovy may be a better mentor for the russians, which we all of a sudden, have a bunch of. That's not to be undervalued either. I'm not saying that Kovy would be a bad leader, or that he would only be respected by the russian players - but I definitely think Nash would have the edge in the locker room.

In the end, I would expect either one to be "disposable" - that is, we use him for 2-3 years and both sides fully expect to just walk away after the deal. So perhaps much of this is moot, but we have a longer offseason than most so I'm happy to debate it

DA71
Posted 2018-04-12 10:37 AM (#703214 - in reply to #702991)

Prospect

How about signing both of them... argument solved. LOL
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software