Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sticky Summer Thread: Trades - Entry Draft - Free Agent Signings
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : < ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... >
Now viewing page 14 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

robstones
Posted 2018-07-03 7:30 PM (#707761 - in reply to #706448)
Subject: Re: Summer Thread: Trades - Entry Draft - Free Agent Signings

Legend

It's a roster spot for 2 years is what it is. I'm not signing a guy in todays NHL because he's not afraid to punch a guy in the face, when I could be playing and developing one of the young guys. There's a good chance Howden, Chytil, and Andersson are all NHL ready.... F this guy.... missed opportunity.... please....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Go NYR
Posted 2018-07-03 7:32 PM (#707762 - in reply to #706448)

Rookie

Okay, so field a team with 6 C's and all kids. No punch and grit and toughness. That seems like a very smart balanced team. If the goal is to suck this year though, then sure I am on board. That may be a smart strategy.

Mjolnir
Posted 2018-07-03 8:05 PM (#707763 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

I'll play devil's advocate here: how do we know Gorts didn't try and, if he did, what the asking price was?

Just because the Laughs gave him up to the Piles for a minor league goalie does not mean that's the same asking price they extended to the Rangers. Also, we don't know the circumstances that led to this deal....for all we know, it could be the equivalent of baseball's "future considerations" or an underhanded "thank you" for screwing up the Tavares situation.
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-03 9:06 PM (#707766 - in reply to #707761)

All-Star

robstones - 2018-07-03 6:30 PM

It's a roster spot for 2 years is what it is. I'm not signing a guy in todays NHL because he's not afraid to punch a guy in the face, when I could be playing and developing one of the young guys. There's a good chance Howden, Chytil, and Andersson are all NHL ready.... F this guy.... missed opportunity.... please....

Well when Martin is running all over your kids maybe you will figure it out. The beauty of Martin is he can play and Punch a guy in the face lol. But it’s ok the Rangers got Jesper.
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-03 11:46 PM (#707767 - in reply to #707750)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-07-03 1:58 PM

Perhaps we have to talk to Maroon?

Maroon is going to get a good contract and he is the prototype Ranger past dumb signing. He’s going to get to much money and term for what he will bring the Rangers. They don’t need to be trying to dump him 2 years down the road. He is what Rob should be worrying about. He’s not a fourth line player like Martin and would take away opportunity for younger players. Martin would not, Martin on the fourth line was the answer, all the Rangers had to do was top the Isles offer. It is doubtful the Rangers will find a guy like Martin that can actually play. The last time the piles went to the playoffs the fourth line of Martin, Clutterbuck and Cizikas was outstanding. Welcome back Cody McLeod lol.
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-07-04 2:58 AM (#707769 - in reply to #707767)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-07-04 1:46 AM

Maroon is going to get a good contract and he is the prototype Ranger past dumb signing. He’s going to get to much money and term for what he will bring the Rangers. They don’t need to be trying to dump him 2 years down the road. He is what Rob should be worrying about. He’s not a fourth line player like Martin and would take away opportunity for younger players. Martin would not, Martin on the fourth line was the answer, all the Rangers had to do was top the Isles offer. It is doubtful the Rangers will find a guy like Martin that can actually play. The last time the piles went to the playoffs the fourth line of Martin, Clutterbuck and Cizikas was outstanding. Welcome back Cody McLeod lol.
You don't know that an offer wasn't made..
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-04 7:16 AM (#707770 - in reply to #707767)

Legend

True...Im not sure who else is out there...Gazdic?....Perhaps Beleskey can bring the noise...and Kreider has to be given the freedom to use his power speed and strength out there
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-04 7:17 AM (#707771 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

Calvin Dehaan to Carolina....Just gets better for the Isles lol
robstones
Posted 2018-07-04 7:29 AM (#707772 - in reply to #707763)

Legend

Mjolnir - 2018-07-03 10:05 PM

I'll play devil's advocate here: how do we know Gorts didn't try and, if he did, what the asking price was?

Just because the Laughs gave him up to the Piles for a minor league goalie does not mean that's the same asking price they extended to the Rangers. Also, we don't know the circumstances that led to this deal....for all we know, it could be the equivalent of baseball's "future considerations" or an underhanded "thank you" for screwing up the Tavares situation.

Well that's it. They wanted a prospect, so how far up our depth chart are you willing to go to out bid NYI for Martin?

We can't offer equal to that minor league goalie, we would need to do better than that to win the bid....

As for the Martin can play and punch guys in the face.... so what? I say this every time we talk about bringing in an "enforcer." No one is scared of one guy. No one is thinking twice about laying a hit and playing hard because Matt Martin is on the other team. It doesn't happen. He's not preventing anything. Matter of fact, he's an aggitator, so he gets the other team to play physical. Games get nastier with Martin in the lineup. Tough guys see other tough guys as a challenge, not a deterrent.

The best thing that happens is he retaliates. Someone hits our guy, and he either drops the gloves, or takes a run at one of their players. It's not prevention, it's retaliation.

I'd rather give the spot to a guy who can play and get better, then a guy who can play and hit.... and pay nothing
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-04 7:33 AM (#707773 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

Martin was a healthy scratch last 3rd of the season for the Leafs...who knows what he has left....Clutterbuck is just a pest who is shot anyway...Czeekis is a pain in the ass
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-04 7:43 AM (#707774 - in reply to #707769)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2018-07-04 1:58 AM

Didn't say one wasn't. If it was it wasnt enough. Its all a moot point now, until the Rangers address the issue of adding one or two Martin types. When it is addressed, a little better offer for Martin might look like a pretty good deal.
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-04 8:10 AM (#707775 - in reply to #707772)

All-Star

robstones - 2018-07-04 6:29 AM

Well that's it. They wanted a prospect, so how far up our depth chart are you willing to go to out bid NYI for Martin?

We can't offer equal to that minor league goalie, we would need to do better than that to win the bid....

As for the Martin can play and punch guys in the face.... so what? I say this every time we talk about bringing in an "enforcer." No one is scared of one guy. No one is thinking twice about laying a hit and playing hard because Matt Martin is on the other team. It doesn't happen. He's not preventing anything. Matter of fact, he's an aggitator, so he gets the other team to play physical. Games get nastier with Martin in the lineup. Tough guys see other tough guys as a challenge, not a deterrent.

The best thing that happens is he retaliates. Someone hits our guy, and he either drops the gloves, or takes a run at one of their players. It's not prevention, it's retaliation.

I'd rather give the spot to a guy who can play and get better, then a guy who can play and hit.... and pay nothing

Try watching a game and seeing reality not what you want to see in your pacifist mind, the Rangers better have somebody that can dish it out. Martin will be running every player he can, its what he does. And he and other teams similars will keep doing it as long as it goes unaddressed. The point is about the cost and effect of Martins cap on the Rangers which was so minimal it was humorous. Whether they took a shot at him or not, it was a opportunity to fill a need cheaply big body fourth line crash and bang, but its ok the Rangers have Jesper.
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-04 8:25 AM (#707776 - in reply to #707773)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-07-04 6:33 AM

Martin was a healthy scratch last 3rd of the season for the Leafs...who knows what he has left....Clutterbuck is just a pest who is shot anyway...Czeekis is a pain in the ass

Martins last season on the Island, that line was hyped as the best fourth line in the league. It helped get them in the playoffs.His personal play got him the excellent "for him" contract from Toronto. Imagine Lou Lamoriello signing Martin to a four year deal to look after his young players, at Babcock's request, disagreeing with Rob.
Again Martin isn't the be all end all for the Rangers, but when the rangers go to find a similar type and they will, it might get expensive.
robstones
Posted 2018-07-04 8:30 AM (#707777 - in reply to #707775)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-07-04 10:10 AM

Try watching a game and seeing reality not what you want to see in your pacifist mind, the Rangers better have somebody that can dish it out. Martin will be running every player he can, its what he does. And he and other teams similars will keep doing it as long as it goes unaddressed. The point is about the cost and effect of Martins cap on the Rangers which was so minimal it was humorous. Whether they took a shot at him or not, it was a opportunity to fill a need cheaply big body fourth line crash and bang, but its ok the Rangers have Jesper.

You think Martin is going to stop playing his style hockey if the other team also has a tough guy? You think that if he hits someone on the other team, and someone drops the gloves with him.... that he'll just stop hitting guys once he's out of the box???

I don't. And it's not because I'm a pacifist.... quite the contrary, I play a physical brand of hockey when I play.... that's how I know! No one is going to stop me from hitting.... no one.

No one is going to prevent Matt Martin from playing like Matt Martin.... all they can do is be physical back. That's how it works!

Edited by robstones 2018-07-04 8:33 AM
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-04 8:59 AM (#707778 - in reply to #707776)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-07-04 10:25 AM

Mikey Red - 2018-07-04 6:33 AM

Martins last season on the Island, that line was hyped as the best fourth line in the league. It helped get them in the playoffs.His personal play got him the excellent "for him" contract from Toronto. Imagine Lou Lamoriello signing Martin to a four year deal to look after his young players, at Babcock's request, disagreeing with Rob.
Again Martin isn't the be all end all for the Rangers, but when the rangers go to find a similar type and they will, it might get expensive.

Yep indeed
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-04 9:20 AM (#707779 - in reply to #707777)

All-Star

robstones - 2018-07-04 7:30 AM

Rranger - 2018-07-04 10:10 AM

You think Martin is going to stop playing his style hockey if the other team also has a tough guy? You think that if he hits someone on the other team, and someone drops the gloves with him.... that he'll just stop hitting guys once he's out of the box???

I don't. And it's not because I'm a pacifist.... quite the contrary, I play a physical brand of hockey when I play.... that's how I know! No one is going to stop me from hitting.... no one.

No one is going to prevent Matt Martin from playing like Matt Martin.... all they can do is be physical back. That's how it works!

Rob comparing beer league to NHL is your problem. When you figure out the difference let us know. I’m sorry but I’m going to have to side with Lou on his one.
robstones
Posted 2018-07-04 9:33 AM (#707780 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

I'm not sure Lou got him as a deterrent.... he got him for what he is! A big physical presence. He's hard to play against, and for that, I wouldn't mind him on my team.... but I'd rather play Howden if he's ready. So rather then pay Martin 2+ million to wear a suit in the sky box, and give up Fontaine to get him on top of it? Pass....
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-07-04 9:36 AM (#707781 - in reply to #707774)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-07-04 9:43 AM

Didn't say one wasn't. If it was it wasnt enough. Its all a moot point now, until the Rangers address the issue of adding one or two Martin types. When it is addressed, a little better offer for Martin might look like a pretty good deal.

Didn't say one wasn't. If it was it wasnt enough. Its all a moot point now, until the Rangers address the issue of adding one or two Martin types. When it is addressed, a little better offer for Martin might look like a pretty good deal. You're in an uproar because the Rangers didn't acquire (essentially) a goon and it seems you won't be happy until they get one or two. Waste of time and roster space because that's not going to stop the Martins from running roughshod all over the ice.

You need a TEAM that will show it's not going to allow themselves to be run out of the rink...t just one or two players who have an average ice time of 5 minutes a game.

Right now, we have a new coach, new system, new players and no idea on how they will mesh. We have no idea what our "vets" will handle themselves as well. Until you do, there's no point trading for and/or signing marginal players of Martin's ilk.

For what it's worth, I read the following about his end in Toronto (and yes Rangers were mentioned as a possible interested destination:

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2018/7/3/17531034/rumours-abound-...

"As the Leafs got faster, and deep enough to play a fast-skating, high-offensive pace fourth line, Martin’s usage dropped. He played in only 50 games last year, drawing in late in the season to face teams like the Sabres, but giving way in the playoffs to Andreas Johnsson and Josh Leivo.

For teams with less depth and no ability to put out a fourth line of that sort, he might be the right kind of player for right now. The rebuilding Rangers are certainly one of those teams, and he’d be an asset to them. The Islanders might think getting the band back together is a good idea too."

Not sure what kind of fourth line they were talking about -- I'm going to assume a speedy one.

Edited by Mjolnir 2018-07-04 10:13 AM
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-04 9:42 AM (#707782 - in reply to #707781)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2018-07-04 8:36 AM

You're in an uproar because the Rangers didn't acquire (essentially) a goon and it seems you won't be happy until they get one or two. Waste of time and roster space because that's not going to stop the Martins from running roughshod all over the ice.

You need a TEAM that will show it's not going to allow themselves to be run out of the rink...t just one or two players who have an average ice time of 5 minutes a game.

Right now, we have a new coach, new system, new players and no idea on how they will mesh. We have no idea what our "vets" will handle themselves as well. Until you do, there's no point trading for and/or signing marginal players of Martin's ilk.

For what it's worth, I read the following about his end in Toronto (and yes Rangers were mentioned as a possible interested destination:

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2018/7/3/17531034/rumours-abound-...

"As the Leafs got faster, and deep enough to play a fast-skating, high-offensive pace fourth line, Martin’s usage dropped. He played in only 50 games last year, drawing in late in the season to face teams like the Sabres, but giving way in the playoffs to Andreas Johnsson and Josh Leivo.

For teams with less depth and no ability to put out a fourth line of that sort, he might be the right kind of player for right now. The rebuilding Rangers are certainly one of those teams, and he’d be an asset to them. The Islanders might think getting the band back together is a good idea too."

Not sure what kind of fourth line they were talking about -- I'm going to assume a speedy one.

Believe what you want, your article says nothing another blogger can’t argue. A dumbo like Lou thinks he’s worth picking up, maybe payment for allowing Toronto to sign Tavares, like you suggested. If so Lou must really like Martin.
No one is saying Martin is a fit for Washington, the article does point out Martin is possibly being a fit for the Rangers or a team in a similar mode like the Isles. Kids need veteran leadership which comes in many different forms. A Martin standing up for a kid has value just like other assets other players bring, a lot of whom who don’t bring much of anything.

Edited by Rranger 2018-07-04 10:11 AM
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-07-04 10:12 AM (#707783 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

I'm not saying I believe any of it because I don't watch the Laughs so I can't say one way or the other whether any of it is true...but it's common knowledge he lost his job for whatever reason.

(Washington???? where did that come from?)
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-04 10:18 AM (#707785 - in reply to #707783)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2018-07-04 9:12 AM

I'm not saying I believe any of it because I don't watch the Laughs so I can't say one way or the other whether any of it is true...but it's common knowledge he lost his job for whatever reason.

Washington is a obvious example of a team not in need of his services, because they have Tom Wilson who can play at a higher level, and a mature team. Players like him are very important. I’ve said it about three times on here, Martin is not the be all end all for the Rangers but he does fit a need they have, went to the Isles to a GM who knows him as well as anyone. A team in the same building mode as the Rangers. For good reason he was picked up by Lou.
Right now it’s wait and see what Gorton does to address the issue and he has to and he will, then see the cost and advantage if any.
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-07-04 10:53 AM (#707786 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

Lou seems to be stacking up 4rh liners so...and Lou is sneaky enough to have had that deal in the works and/or done long before it became apparent that Martin was "expendable".

As for the Rangers, I still don't see it as an issue. There are way too many unknowns.
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-07-04 10:54 AM (#707787 - in reply to #707785)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-07-04 12:18 PM

Mjolnir - 2018-07-04 9:12 AM

Washington is a obvious example of a team not in need of his services, because they have Tom Wilson who can play at a higher level, and a mature team. Players like him are very important. I’ve said it about three times on here, Martin is not the be all end all for the Rangers but he does fit a need they have, went to the Isles to a GM who knows him as well as anyone. A team in the same building mode as the Rangers. For good reason he was picked up by Lou.
Right now it’s wait and see what Gorton does to address the issue and he has to and he will, then see the cost and advantage if any.
Washington also had a team that was not afraid to use the body.....Wilson was just the icing on the cake.
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-04 11:54 AM (#707788 - in reply to #707780)

All-Star

robstones - 2018-07-04 8:33 AM

I'm not sure Lou got him as a deterrent.... he got him for what he is! A big physical presence. He's hard to play against, and for that, I wouldn't mind him on my team.... but I'd rather play Howden if he's ready. So rather then pay Martin 2+ million to wear a suit in the sky box, and give up Fontaine to get him on top of it? Pass....

Which is exactly why the Rangers should have got hm. They don’t have anybody to fill that role on the fourth line. The fact he drops his mitts once in a while is a bonus. Howden can still be on the team.
x10003q
Posted 2018-07-04 2:26 PM (#707789 - in reply to #707788)

MVP

Rranger - 2018-07-04 1:54 PM

Which is exactly why the Rangers should have got hm. They don’t have anybody to fill that role on the fourth line. The fact he drops his mitts once in a while is a bonus. Howden can still be on the team.

The Rangers have plenty of guys to try on the 4th line. They do not need to have a professional 4th liner at this point.
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-04 3:02 PM (#707790 - in reply to #707789)

All-Star

x10003q - 2018-07-04 1:26 PM

Rranger - 2018-07-04 1:54 PM

The Rangers have plenty of guys to try on the 4th line. They do not need to have a professional 4th liner at this point.

And they have who with a sack? NOBODY !!!! It was a huge problem last year. Playing more than one kid on the fourth is another disaster in waiting. They need to move some easy to play against professional fourth liners guys out and get some guys not so easy to play against in.
robstones
Posted 2018-07-04 3:09 PM (#707791 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

Right now, I have our bottom 6 as

Spooner Andersson Meskanen (or Lettieri... or someone else who earns it in camp)
Vesey Hayes Fast

I suppose Martin or one of these goons you want could be plugged in to one of those wing spots, but to say Howden could play also is a stretch at best.
robstones
Posted 2018-07-04 3:12 PM (#707792 - in reply to #706448)

Legend

I'm with MJ on this one. It's about team toughness, not one guy. Hopefully Quinn pushes the idea of sticking up for one another, and playing a tough brand.
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-07-04 3:19 PM (#707793 - in reply to #707790)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-07-04 5:02 PM

And they have who with a sack? NOBODY !!!! It was a huge problem last year. Playing more than one kid on the fourth is another disaster in waiting. They need to move some easy to play against professional fourth liners guys out and get some guys not so easy to play against in.
So what if there's one player "with a sack"???? What does it accomplish? Absolutely nothing....we saw it when they tried to goon it up Cashmere, Boogaard, etc.. We saw it again with the likes of McLeod and Tan-Tan. You don't need ONE guy "with a sack" -- you need A TEAM "with a sack". Until that happens, all the Martins in the world will be useless.
Mcphee
Posted 2018-07-04 7:24 PM (#707794 - in reply to #707792)

Rookie

robstones - 2018-07-04 5:12 PM

I'm with MJ on this one. It's about team toughness, not one guy. Hopefully Quinn pushes the idea of sticking up for one another, and playing a tough brand.
Wonderful concept of team toughness.Besides Kreider please list 5 other guys on this team expected to play this year,that help in this area.I can't think of 1.With the possible exception of Miller,they did nothing to address it at the draft this year.If they keep picking 80% Euros it will never happen.
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-07-04 8:02 PM (#707795 - in reply to #707794)

Legend

Mcphee - 2018-07-04 9:24 PM

Wonderful concept of team toughness.Besides Kreider please list 5 other guys on this team expected to play this year,that help in this area.I can't think of 1.With the possible exception of Miller,they did nothing to address it at the draft this year.If they keep picking 80% Euros it will never happen.

Indeed it is....but as I stated before, there are way to many unknowns to answer your question. How do we know there aren't more besides Kreider and Zuc? (Hayes and Zub are possibles

It all starts with Hockey 101 fundamentals: (a) play the man, not the puck; (b) body check the last guy to touch the puck; (c) make some semblance of a stand at the blue line and body the puck carrier to the outside or into the boards....they don't have to be bone crushing hits.... but they will be the first steps toward ending the free reign opponents have had on the ice since the first lockout.

When push comes to shove, I do believe half the players on the current roster will be gone by the 2019-20 season.

Edited by Mjolnir 2018-07-04 8:03 PM
robstones
Posted 2018-07-04 8:20 PM (#707796 - in reply to #707794)

Legend

Mcphee - 2018-07-04 9:24 PM

robstones - 2018-07-04 5:12 PM

I thought everybody was claiming AV was holding these guys back? I think Hayes and Vesey, if coached to, can and would stick up for a teammate. Zucc would... they all could and would imo. No one is scared of Buchnevich.... and they don't have to be... it's just a matter of being told that this is part of our culture now.

Andersson, Lindgren.... they say Kravtsov plays with an edge... Howden.... You name em. Just because they haven't, doesn't mean they won't

It's like Torts and his emphasis on shot blocking... players that normally don't block shots, do under Tortorella.

We just have to hope the philosophy of team toughness is something Quinn stresses...
Mcphee
Posted 2018-07-05 2:44 AM (#707797 - in reply to #707796)

Rookie

Vesey could help in this area possible but Hayes is probably the biggest pu*sy in the league.I've never seen him ever go out of his way to throw a check,or be the first guy to help when there is a scrum on the ice.This team with the way it's put together now will never be tough.
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-07-05 6:24 AM (#707798 - in reply to #707797)

Legend

Mcphee - 2018-07-05 4:44 AM

Vesey could help in this area possible but Hayes is probably the biggest pu*sy in the league.I've never seen him ever go out of his way to throw a check,or be the first guy to help when there is a scrum on the ice.This team with the way it's put together now will never be tough.
We'll soon find out. Considering how many players AV neutered, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's not the only one who played the same way and there were so many instances where any player on any given night would shy away from a simple body check.
Mcphee
Posted 2018-07-05 6:48 AM (#707799 - in reply to #707798)

Rookie

Like I said Vesey I could very well see playing tougher under Quinn.Saw a few glimpses of it under AV.Never saw any aggression out of Hayes and I don't believe he has it in him.He will have to prove otherwise.The rest of the team is the same way to me.No one else ever had any type of significant penalty minutes before coming here,so they have to change their way of playing.I really don't see it happening.
Jump to page : < ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... >
Now viewing page 14 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software