Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kevin Hayes Resigned
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Steady Eddie
Posted 2018-07-30 5:31 PM (#708248)
Subject: Kevin Hayes Resigned

MVP

New York Rangers General Manager Jeff Gorton announced today that the team has agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Kevin Hayes on a one-year contract.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/rangers-agree-to-terms-with-kevin-h...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steady Eddie
Posted 2018-07-30 5:33 PM (#708249 - in reply to #708248)
Subject: Re: Kevin Hayes Resigned

MVP

$5.125 million and becomes UFA at end of the season.

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-30 5:37 PM (#708250 - in reply to #708248)

Legend

Trade him
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-30 5:46 PM (#708252 - in reply to #708248)

MVP

Nice knowing you Haysie.
robstones
Posted 2018-07-30 6:10 PM (#708253 - in reply to #708248)

Legend

Fire JG!
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-07-30 6:10 PM (#708254 - in reply to #708252)

Legend

This is what happens when you manage to improve DESPITE a dumb-ass coach.

Edited by Mjolnir 2018-07-30 6:11 PM
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-30 7:06 PM (#708255 - in reply to #708248)

MVP

I think its pretty apparent he's gone by the trade deadline. However he has the ability to be the best forward in the dressing room by then. Going to be a interesting sidebar to the season to see how well he plays, and smart or dumb he makes the rangers look.
Beezer34
Posted 2018-07-30 7:44 PM (#708256 - in reply to #708248)

All-Star

I think it is a good signing ONLY because he is a UFA at the end of the year and he thinks he is a 6 plus million dollar player so expect this to be his best season. He will have AMPLE chances given the team at the moment and when he balloons to a 90 point guy (joking) they move him in February and collect another 1st rounder to help add more talent to the stable. If they can move ****tenkirk and Staal and Zuccs by Feb too all the better stockpile the picks and prospects and see where the team goes from there. They need another terrible season and get a good pick and then see where they are in a year.. with last years and this years first almost ready to go... and Shestyorkin maybe ready to back up or take a good chunk of time... then maybe even more Hank (I love him) to a team that he can get his cup with and bring back more assets.
robstones
Posted 2018-07-30 8:22 PM (#708258 - in reply to #708248)

Legend

It's perfect. The pressure is officially on for Hayes. He has Andersson, Chytil, and Howden who all want the 2nd line center spot out of camp.... which is Hayes' spot to lose.

So at over 5 million a year, he has to preform. He needs to be hands down better than the prospects.... or he's out...

And even then his job in NY isn't safe. The one year deal will force him to preform, but doing so will also increase his trade value. The better he is, the more desirable he is, the bigger return we get.

Or they could just as easily extend his contract, which he would have to earn. So if he does that, it's a win too.

There is really no downside to this deal imo

Edited by robstones 2018-07-30 8:23 PM
x10003q
Posted 2018-07-30 8:48 PM (#708259 - in reply to #708258)

MVP

robstones - 2018-07-30 10:22 PM

It's perfect. The pressure is officially on for Hayes. He has Andersson, Chytil, and Howden who all want the 2nd line center spot out of camp.... which is Hayes' spot to lose.

So at over 5 million a year, he has to preform. He needs to be hands down better than the prospects.... or he's out...

And even then his job in NY isn't safe. The one year deal will force him to preform, but doing so will also increase his trade value. The better he is, the more desirable he is, the bigger return we get.

Or they could just as easily extend his contract, which he would have to earn. So if he does that, it's a win too.

There is some downside. If his career continues to get better, the Rangers will have to trade a potential #1 center in his prime years or risk losing him as a UFA unless they overpay to keep him. Hayes could want out no matter what and that might be another reason he is on a 1 year.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-31 8:23 AM (#708262 - in reply to #708248)

Legend

Gorton is getting killed out there.
robstones
Posted 2018-07-31 9:06 AM (#708266 - in reply to #708259)

Legend

x10003q - 2018-07-30 10:48 PM

There is some downside. If his career continues to get better, the Rangers will have to trade a potential #1 center in his prime years or risk losing him as a UFA unless they overpay to keep him. Hayes could want out no matter what and that might be another reason he is on a 1 year.

He doesn't want to go anywhere. Unless he's just being PC, he's said that quite a few times.

Why would they have to overpay to extend his contract? Why can't it be a fair deal?

And if they do trade a guy with potential #1 talent, then they will be getting assets back.... Trouba? Not a downside
Vua
Posted 2018-07-31 9:10 AM (#708267 - in reply to #708262)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-07-31 8:23 AM

For what? Going 1 year instead of 2? Hayes or Zib can't be here long term if you expect anything out of your kids. And if your kids flop Hayes isn't going to be enough to save this team at center. The Rangers have relied on mediocre center play for way too long.
Go NYR
Posted 2018-07-31 9:17 AM (#708269 - in reply to #708248)

Rookie

Personally I see very little possibility that Hayes is here past this season (most likely gone at the trade DL). If a long term deal worth 6 mill per +/- was going to happen I think it would have happened this week. I think he gets dealt at the DL for a late 1st and a mid prospect. A little less than Nash I'd think.

Overall I have no issue with that, but I do think if this was the path Gorton should have dealt him at the draft. This way is risky if Hayes struggles or gets injured we get almost no value for him.

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-31 11:21 AM (#708275 - in reply to #708267)

Legend

Vua - 2018-07-31 11:10 AM

Mikey Red - 2018-07-31 8:23 AM

For what? Going 1 year instead of 2? Hayes or Zib can't be here long term if you expect anything out of your kids. And if your kids flop Hayes isn't going to be enough to save this team at center. The Rangers have relied on mediocre center play for way too long.

Yep...I dont get the hype on Hayes anyway...Big soft perimeter player that passes too too much
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-31 11:22 AM (#708276 - in reply to #708266)

Legend

robstones - 2018-07-31 11:06 AM

He doesn't want to go anywhere. Unless he's just being PC, he's said that quite a few times.

Why would they have to overpay to extend his contract? Why can't it be a fair deal?

And if they do trade a guy with potential #1 talent, then they will be getting assets back.... Trouba? Not a downside

concust
Posted 2018-07-31 11:25 AM (#708278 - in reply to #708248)

Legend

My prediction is that the kid centers will progress, Hayes will have a good year, and Zibanejad will miss a chunk of time with injury.

In other words I think they chose the wrong center to go long term; Hayes' underlying numbers are very good.

On the bright side, they have two, maybe three teenage centers pushing two mid-20's centers. That's a nice problem to have. Let the chips fall where they may, if I'm wrong and Zbad has a great season, then we flip Hayes at the deadline. He's a nice, defensively responsible, middle-6 center on a contender who can add scoring. But that's also why I'd rather keep him.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-31 11:30 AM (#708280 - in reply to #708278)

Legend

concust - 2018-07-31 1:25 PM

My prediction is that the kid centers will progress, Hayes will have a good year, and Zibanejad will miss a chunk of time with injury.

In other words I think they chose the wrong center to go long term; Hayes' underlying numbers are very good.

On the bright side, they have two, maybe three teenage centers pushing two mid-20's centers. That's a nice problem to have. Let the chips fall where they may, if I'm wrong and Zbad has a great season, then we flip Hayes at the deadline. He's a nice, defensively responsible, middle-6 center on a contender who can add scoring. But that's also why I'd rather keep him.

Yep I dont love Hayes but I would trade Zib first...no doubt
Vua
Posted 2018-07-31 12:18 PM (#708281 - in reply to #708280)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-07-31 11:30 AM

I would have as well for injury concerns alone. When he's not recovering from injury (a few games per year anyway) Zib's the less frustrating player to watch. Every time Hayes has the puck I reach for an X-Box controller to hit the shot button. And for reference, it doesn't work. He continues to skate around for 20 more seconds.
x10003q
Posted 2018-07-31 12:58 PM (#708283 - in reply to #708266)

MVP

We have no idea if he wants to leave or stay with the Rangers. Like 80% of professional athletes, he knows how to publicly play the game and will never torch his current team. But, if he does want to leave, the Rangers will have to overpay to keep him in order to override his desire to leave. The idea of burning 2 or 3 prime (or more) age seasons while the Rangers try to figure out how to build a team vs getting onto a playoff/cup potential team might be a reason for Hayes to want to leave.

The high asset return for Hayes is very true. It is impossible to figure out now.

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-31 1:02 PM (#708284 - in reply to #708281)

Legend

Vua - 2018-07-31 2:18 PM

Mikey Red - 2018-07-31 11:30 AM

I would have as well for injury concerns alone. When he's not recovering from injury (a few games per year anyway) Zib's the less frustrating player to watch. Every time Hayes has the puck I reach for an X-Box controller to hit the shot button. And for reference, it doesn't work. He continues to skate around for 20 more seconds.

hahahaha totally...between him and Zuc with the passing....I want to reach for the Makers Mark
Rranger
Posted 2018-07-31 4:58 PM (#708289 - in reply to #708278)

MVP

concust - 2018-07-31 10:25 AM

I’m inclined to think this year will give a definitive answer who the Rangers like between Zibanejad and Hayes. Like you I lean to Hayes but would like to see more of him in a expanded role. I don’t know what he was asking for in a long term contract, but if the Rangers decide they are keeping him it’s going to be more than it would have been now, because he will obviously have had a very good upcoming season. I think he’s willing to get more involved physically and playing in the tough areas with the right push. Zibanejad concussions and perimeter play worry me.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-31 6:23 PM (#708293 - in reply to #708248)

Legend

Something tells me Hayes thinks he is John Tavares next year......Hayes prob wanted the 1 year deal
robstones
Posted 2018-07-31 6:42 PM (#708296 - in reply to #708283)

Legend

x10003q - 2018-07-31 2:58 PM

We have no idea if he wants to leave or stay with the Rangers. Like 80% of professional athletes, he knows how to publicly play the game and will never torch his current team. But, if he does want to leave, the Rangers will have to overpay to keep him in order to override his desire to leave. The idea of burning 2 or 3 prime (or more) age seasons while the Rangers try to figure out how to build a team vs getting onto a playoff/cup potential team might be a reason for Hayes to want to leave.

The high asset return for Hayes is very true. It is impossible to figure out now.

He tweeted this scene from Wolf of Wallstreet on draft day with speculation circulating that he may be part of a package to move up.

I know it's the PC thing to say how much you like The City and "most of all, the fans," but I don't think he'd post that if he had any actual desire to leave.

If he did, or was unhappy with this deal.... why would he sign? Why wouldn't he play hardball and/or go to arbitration? Because the $5.175 for the one year was just too good to turn down?

He wants to be here. He has to do what he has to do to earn his next contract. He needs to bring his game to the next level. He put up a career high 25 goals last year, but he had a career low as far as assists go with 19. The year prior he had 32 helpers.

If he can be in more the mid 50-60 point range this year, he can stay. They'll have no problem giving him 6+ for 6 years or whatever.

If he just stays par, he'll be traded to the highest bidder.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-07-31 6:46 PM (#708297 - in reply to #708248)

Legend

hahahaha then the contract he signed tells me he was Kevin Haze when he tweeted it
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2018-08-01 4:59 AM (#708301 - in reply to #708248)

All-Star

If he doesn't take as many games off that he does, he is worth this money. If he does take as many games off as he does, trade him.
concust
Posted 2018-08-01 8:30 AM (#708303 - in reply to #708248)

Legend

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/7/31/17633998/new-york-rangers-...

I personally don't think a deadline deal is as definitive at this point as this article implies. I do agree that Hayes is an underrated producer for the team and I would have chosen his versatility over Zbad's raw talent.

Neither contract, Hayes' or Zibanejad's, is untradeable. If, during the course of the season, Hayes shows that he's the one that should stick around long term, they'll move Zibanejad and extend Hayes. There's nothing realistically preventing this, Zbad's contract is still very tradeable and as long as Hayes is amenable he can re-sign.

Hayes probably wanted a no trade clause of some form, and Gorton probably didn’t want to commit to that.

It makes no sense, relationship wise, to sign Hayes to a long-term deal and move him right away. It breaks down trust with other agents, and other players, who would demand clauses to their contracts and point to Hayes as an example. I know some of you will think it’s not a big deal, but bad business is bad business, and it’s the right move to avoid that trail.

I do get the writers' point about burning bridges with agents, and losing out on that trust with future signings, but as it relates to Zibanejad, the truth is that no player and no agent in the NHL expects to have full control over their destination until they reach UFA. I think that point is blown out of proportion - it's just business and players know that choosing your destination is a luxury, not a right.

Go NYR
Posted 2018-08-01 10:23 AM (#708307 - in reply to #708248)

Rookie

I think Hayes is 100% gone, but we'll see. Anything can happen, but if they were going to sign him long term for the money he wanted they would have done it now when they could maybe have gotten a lesser year as a RFA in the deal. Not sure what would happen this year that would make them say okay now we'll give you 6 mill (or more a season). If he blows up sure I could see them saying we f'd up and cannot afford to lose this guy, but that seems like a long shot to me. I think the %'s are high he is dealt during the season/at the trade DL for a late 1st package (similar to Nash).

Mikey Red
Posted 2018-08-01 11:13 AM (#708312 - in reply to #708248)

Legend

Hayes is definitley NOT all that....He is a 3rd line center on a good team
Mjolnir
Posted 2018-08-01 12:12 PM (#708316 - in reply to #708269)

Legend

Go NYR - 2018-07-31 11:17 AM

Personally I see very little possibility that Hayes is here past this season (most likely gone at the trade DL). If a long term deal worth 6 mill per +/- was going to happen I think it would have happened this week. I think he gets dealt at the DL for a late 1st and a mid prospect. A little less than Nash I'd think.

Overall I have no issue with that, but I do think if this was the path Gorton should have dealt him at the draft. This way is risky if Hayes struggles or gets injured we get almost no value for him.

Hayes is not bringing a first rounder.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-08-01 12:42 PM (#708318 - in reply to #708248)

Legend

Definitely not....better off packaging him in a trade
concust
Posted 2018-08-01 2:13 PM (#708319 - in reply to #708316)

Legend

Mjolnir - 2018-08-01 1:12 PM

Go NYR - 2018-07-31 11:17 AM

Hayes is not bringing a first rounder.

I have no idea why you undervalue players so much just because they're Rangers. Is it because you have to watch them for 82 games a year and you see all their warts? Other players and other teams have warts too!

Stastny last year was a pending UFA, had 12g 40 pts at the deadline, 32 years old and he returned a prospect, a first, and a conditional fourth. If Hayes matches last year's numbers he'll have much better offensive numbers, bigger, younger, better in every way than 2018 Paul Stastny. But definitively, Hayes is "not bringing a first rounder."

Mjolnir
Posted 2018-08-01 3:03 PM (#708320 - in reply to #708319)

Legend

I don't "value" anyone ... I speak from what I see ... as i stated in another thread, I happen to be one of the few who likes the guy (even have his jersey). I don't see a third-line center bringing a first round pick.

Edited by Mjolnir 2018-08-01 3:05 PM
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-08-01 3:20 PM (#708321 - in reply to #708320)

All-Star

Mjolnir - 2018-08-01 3:03 PM

I don't "value" anyone ... I speak from what I see ... as i stated in another thread, I happen to be one of the few who likes the guy (even have his jersey). I don't see a third-line center bringing a first round pick.

Projected lineup has him listed as the fourth line center.......so............
Go NYR
Posted 2018-08-01 5:10 PM (#708322 - in reply to #708248)

Rookie

I believe Hayes will bring a 1st rounder at the trade DL assuming he is healthy and having a solid year. If he is struggling all year then he won't, I agree with that.

Edited by Go NYR 2018-08-01 5:13 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software