Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pionk and Shattenkirk maybe sitting tomorrow
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Fish
Posted 2018-10-10 2:07 PM (#710952)
Subject: Pionk and Shattenkirk maybe sitting tomorrow

Publisher

Reports out of practice today added Pionk to a possible seat in the press box
Top of the page Bottom of the page
concust
Posted 2018-10-10 2:55 PM (#710954 - in reply to #710952)
Subject: Re: Pionk and Shattenkirk maybe sitting tomorrow

Legend

At this point, do whatever it takes to find a lineup that works.

Personally I don't think Pionk is as deserving of a benching as Shattenkirk but I think the value of the message sent carries much more weight than the particulars of the names in the press box.

Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-10-10 3:04 PM (#710956 - in reply to #710952)

All-Star

I agree.

Don't think Pionk did anything that bad to deserve a benching. But, if you want to take a look at Claesson then its what you have to do I guess
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-10 3:09 PM (#710958 - in reply to #710952)

Legend

I have never been on the Pionk bandwagon...I dont think he is all that..but He is not on the most deserving list to bench
Vua
Posted 2018-10-10 3:37 PM (#710960 - in reply to #710952)

All-Star

When you're trying to drag Staal around the ice it's hard to look good.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-10 3:37 PM (#710961 - in reply to #710960)

Legend

Vua - 2018-10-10 5:37 PM

When you're trying to drag Staal around the ice it's hard to look good.

Very true lol
RANGERNUT
Posted 2018-10-11 4:06 AM (#710968 - in reply to #710952)

All-Star

two great quotes from Quinn;

https://nypost.com/2018/10/11/how-david-quinns-tackling-a-persistent...

at practice on the power play;

"The Rangers were running through power-play drills with a couple of revamped units during Wednesday’s practice when the head coach interrupted the proceedings with the same message that might have been delivered by Tom Renney, John Tortorella and Alain Vigneault before him.

“Shoot the damn thing!” David Quinn bellowed. “It’s not a beauty contest! Get the puck to the net!”

and this afterward;

Quinn, who has talked and been asked about enforcing accountability on an almost daily basis in the wake of scratching Vlad Namestnikov and benching Shattenkirk and Hayes within the first three games, touched on the subject again.

“When you do stuff like this, there has got to be clarity and there has got to be an explanation,” he said. “Accountability and performance are what this is all about. I also understand that people have built bank accounts, too, and you just don’t bench guys for every mistake. To me, the piece that’s non-negotiable is effort; consistent effort.

“I’m not doing it to be the big, tough coach. It’s more like, if we’re going to have the success we’re capable of having, this is the bar and this is what’s expected. Holding people accountable is a coach’s No. 1 responsibility, but a lot goes into it. This is the way I’ve always done it.”

like it

Edited by RANGERNUT 2018-10-11 4:08 AM
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2018-10-11 4:25 AM (#710969 - in reply to #710952)

Scorer

Gorton should be held responsible for signing Namestnikov when he did nothing here after arriving from Tampa.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-11 6:43 AM (#710970 - in reply to #710968)

Legend

RANGERNUT - 2018-10-11 6:06 AM

"The Rangers were running through power-play drills with a couple of revamped units during Wednesday’s practice when the head coach interrupted the proceedings with the same message that might have been delivered by Tom Renney, John Tortorella and Alain Vigneault before him.

“Shoot the damn thing!” David Quinn bellowed. “It’s not a beauty contest! Get the puck to the net!”

and this afterward;

Quinn, who has talked and been asked about enforcing accountability on an almost daily basis in the wake of scratching Vlad Namestnikov and benching Shattenkirk and Hayes within the first three games, touched on the subject again.

“When you do stuff like this, there has got to be clarity and there has got to be an explanation,” he said. “Accountability and performance are what this is all about. I also understand that people have built bank accounts, too, and you just don’t bench guys for every mistake. To me, the piece that’s non-negotiable is effort; consistent effort.

“I’m not doing it to be the big, tough coach. It’s more like, if we’re going to have the success we’re capable of having, this is the bar and this is what’s expected. Holding people accountable is a coach’s No. 1 responsibility, but a lot goes into it. This is the way I’ve always done it.”

like it

Who did DQ yell shoot the puck at? Zuc or Hayes lol?
concust
Posted 2018-10-11 7:13 AM (#710972 - in reply to #710952)

Legend

Here's the rest of the quote:

"You don't just bench guys for every mistake, but to me the piece to it that is non-negotiable is effort. If the mistakes are made because of the lack of all-out effort then I don't care what your bank account is, you'll be held accountable. It's about consistent effort and raising the bar."

So far he's put his money where his mouth is. We've been missing this type of accountability for... decades?
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-11 7:19 AM (#710973 - in reply to #710952)

Legend

Looks like tonight its
89 93 17
20 21 36 top 6...all 4 lines will be new...Quinn praised Howden....Cleasson might be in and its not a given Shattenkirk will be out

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/david-quinn-making-lot...
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-11 9:29 AM (#710976 - in reply to #710952)

Legend

Colin Stephenson
?

@ColinASteph
39m39 minutes ago
More
Pionk, Shattenkirk, McLeod and Beleskey doing the hard, start and stop skating.
Rranger
Posted 2018-10-11 9:34 AM (#710977 - in reply to #710970)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-10-11 5:43 AM

and this afterward;

like it

"""" “When you do stuff like this, there has got to be clarity and there has got to be an explanation,” he said. “Accountability and performance are what this is all about. I also understand that people have built bank accounts, too, and you just don’t bench guys for every mistake. To me, the piece that’s non-negotiable is effort; consistent effort.""""

Nice to see him hammering that home with a thorough explanation, so the player is left with the cold reality of why, instead of no message and the player grasping to the excuse coach shouldn't be benching me.
Av-merican
Posted 2018-10-11 10:32 AM (#710978 - in reply to #710952)

All-Star

I already don't like David Quinn.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-11 10:44 AM (#710979 - in reply to #710977)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-10-11 11:34 AM

Mikey Red - 2018-10-11 5:43 AM

and this afterward;

like it

"""" “When you do stuff like this, there has got to be clarity and there has got to be an explanation,” he said. “Accountability and performance are what this is all about. I also understand that people have built bank accounts, too, and you just don’t bench guys for every mistake. To me, the piece that’s non-negotiable is effort; consistent effort.""""

Nice to see him hammering that home with a thorough explanation, so the player is left with the cold reality of why, instead of no message and the player grasping to the excuse coach shouldn't be benching me.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-11 10:44 AM (#710980 - in reply to #710978)

Legend

Av-merican - 2018-10-11 12:32 PM

I already don't like David Quinn.

Av please tell me what irks you lol
Av-merican
Posted 2018-10-11 10:58 AM (#710981 - in reply to #710980)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-10-11 11:44 AM

Not even four games in and we're already at "Let's just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" mode. There is seemingly no rhyme or reason to the lineup shuffling Quinn is doing here, he's just doing whatever.

Also, I view scratches-as-message-sending to be a last resort. You don't pull that card until much later. Quinn is already doing it and I think the only thing he'll accomplish is alienating the vets he's going to need to get this ship righted. I get that they haven't played well, and that the effort may not have been consistent, but this is not the way to go about it. This ain't the NCAA and these aren't kids...this is going to blow up in his face, but that's just my humble opinion.

And remember, I'm an Avs fan. But in no way, shape, or form should Cody McLeod be skating while Vlad Namestnikov sits. I don't care how bad he has played...you don't take an actual player out of the lineup and replace him with a not-player. And that's what McLeod is at this point in his career.

I feel like they're already panicking. It's almost as if coaching and management weren't prepared for just how bad this team was going to be. And that's one of many reasons why I don't think Flash Gorton should be the guy helming this rebuild. He's the guy (partially) responsible for this mess, and I don't think he knows how to get out of it. I used to think he was a capable GM but I've since changed my mind.

Edited by Av-merican 2018-10-11 10:59 AM
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-11 11:17 AM (#710982 - in reply to #710981)

Legend

Av-merican - 2018-10-11 12:58 PM

Not even four games in and we're already at "Let's just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks" mode. There is seemingly no rhyme or reason to the lineup shuffling Quinn is doing here, he's just doing whatever.

Also, I view scratches-as-message-sending to be a last resort. You don't pull that card until much later. Quinn is already doing it and I think the only thing he'll accomplish is alienating the vets he's going to need to get this ship righted. I get that they haven't played well, and that the effort may not have been consistent, but this is not the way to go about it. This ain't the NCAA and these aren't kids...this is going to blow up in his face, but that's just my humble opinion.

And remember, I'm an Avs fan. But in no way, shape, or form should Cody McLeod be skating while Vlad Namestnikov sits. I don't care how bad he has played...you don't take an actual player out of the lineup and replace him with a not-player. And that's what McLeod is at this point in his career.

I feel like they're already panicking. It's almost as if coaching and management weren't prepared for just how bad this team was going to be. And that's one of many reasons why I don't think Flash Gorton should be the guy helming this rebuild. He's the guy (partially) responsible for this mess, and I don't think he knows how to get out of it. I used to think he was a capable GM but I've since changed my mind.

LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2018-10-11 11:53 AM (#710984 - in reply to #710952)

All-Star

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-head-coach-dan-quinn-sits-kevin-sha...
Rranger
Posted 2018-10-11 3:52 PM (#710993 - in reply to #710981)

All-Star

Av-merican - 2018-10-11 9:58 AM

It is just your opinion I get that and here’s the other side. I don’t think the Quinn throwing darts thing is fair. Quinn’s basically swapped Chytil for Howden, and shuffled a couple wingers. Personally I couldn’t agree more with Buch on left wing instead of right, he’s a passer and Quinn is seeing if his game takes a leap. And you have to try stuff like that to see. The rest is really rather minor moves on the forward side of things, mostly resulting from Howden good play and move up the lineup.
I don’t view the sitting a player as the last resort, it’s more of a wake up call, the last resort doesn’t come til you see the response. And it’s also better to weed out guys that need constant coddling and motivation. The Rangers have a lot of young players and the danger of playing veterans through poor efforts is kids see that, and the realization you don’t have to go all in, all the time can ripple down to them. The best thing a young player can see, is where the effort bar is set, and it’s exactly what Quinn is doing, and has done with Hayes also being benched. Shattenkirk was bad last year, sore knee and all. Never benched never sat. Quinn undoubtably watched tapes of every one of last years games and knows he’s seeing same old same old. Shattenkirk not only has to pick it up, he also has to prove he’s a keeper going forward.
As far as McLeod goes I still think Namestnikov got punished and sat for his response to being told to serve a penalty. McLeod is one of many, that I think Quinn is still getting a handle on their potential contribution, I’m no fan of McLeod but he’s on the roster and it could be as simple as that. Besides that Namestnikov wasn’t exactly lighting any fires with his play. It was a wake up call for Namestnikov and a chance to see McLeod. I’m good with what Quinn is doing it is as much a clear well planned continuation of training camp for a guy still getting a handle on who and what he’s got. The games are real now and a lot more player usefulness questions get answered quicker, than during training camps. If the end of October rolls around and it’s musical chairs going on then ya point taken. Vigneault made snap decisions on players and flipped the entire lineups upside down every three games win or lose. Which was a lot more annoying than the minor moves Quinn’s has made so far. I’d be very suprised he doesn’t have a pretty pat lineup 10 games in. And that most likely could include another forward and dman from Hartford if Quinn weeds a couple out.
sureshore
Posted 2018-10-12 7:31 AM (#711236 - in reply to #710984)

All-Star

Would be nice if NHL.com could get coach's first name right once in a while
Rranger
Posted 2018-10-12 7:38 AM (#711237 - in reply to #711236)

All-Star

sureshore - 2018-10-12 6:31 AM

Would be nice if NHL.com could get coach's first name right once in a while

Its right in the article. whoever makes the link is the problem.
Steady Eddie
Posted 2018-10-12 8:47 AM (#711238 - in reply to #710952)

MVP

Can we sit this $6.5 million stiff again on Saturday?
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-12 8:56 AM (#711239 - in reply to #711238)

Legend

Steady Eddie - 2018-10-12 10:47 AM

Im with you...But Coach said before last nights game that 22 would be in the lineup vs the Oil no matter what....He is already making excuses for him with the knee
Rranger
Posted 2018-10-12 9:05 AM (#711240 - in reply to #711239)

All-Star

Mikey Red - 2018-10-12 7:56 AM

Im with you...But Coach said before last nights game that 22 would be in the lineup vs the Oil no matter what....He is already making excuses for him with the knee

We can only hope he will soon be on his next team.
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-12 9:11 AM (#711241 - in reply to #711240)

Legend

Rranger - 2018-10-12 11:05 AM

Mikey Red - 2018-10-12 7:56 AM

We can only hope he will soon be on his next team.

Yep! and along with some other guys too....Zib needs to wake up...Staal and McQuaid should not be regulars
concust
Posted 2018-10-12 11:33 AM (#711242 - in reply to #710981)

Legend

Av-merican - 2018-10-11 11:58 AM

On Quinn, I think you're mischaracterizing what is happening. As fans, we can only see so much, so part of this is conjecture, but I don't view Quinn's line shuffling the same way that I viewed AV's early season lineup shuffling.

With AV it was much more of the "let's throw stuff against the wall" approach. And we saw it every year. He'd d*ck around all preseason, and then spend the first four weeks of the regular season "trying to find chemistry" and basically doing what he should have been doing in the preseason. He'd change lines around, mid-game. Literally there was no continuity to anything until a little before Thanksgiving.

Quinn on the other hand, seems to have an idea of what he wants, and he's trying to find a way to get it. He generally sticks with the same lineup in the game, making minor adjustments as needed. It's early still, but I haven't yet said to myself, "well, we were out-coached". With AV this was a weekly, if not daily thing.

I fully admit I'm giving the guy slack, maybe my theories will bear out to be untrue after he goes through a full season. But at this early point, I've seen nothing to say that he's "throwing stuff against the wall" (that is, coaching by trial and error) because what he's done so far, and what he's said, has indicated he has a plan and is trying to get players to execute to it. And so far he has not once said "we had some good looks" but in fact has pointed out clearly things they are doing wrong and doing right.

Mandar
Posted 2018-10-12 12:19 PM (#711244 - in reply to #710952)

MVP

JVR out 6 weeks with an injury
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-12 12:23 PM (#711245 - in reply to #710952)

Legend

Brett Cyrgalis
?
@BrettCyrgalis
Overall, #NYR practice: Kreider-Zibanejad-Fast, Buchnevich-Howden-Zuccarello, Vesey-Hayes-Spooner, Namestnikov-Chytil-Lettieri. (McLeod extra)
Skjei-Shattenkirk, Staal-Pionk, Claesson-Smith (DeAngelo-McQuaid).

12:16 PM - Oct 12, 2018
Fish
Posted 2018-10-12 3:04 PM (#711248 - in reply to #711242)

Publisher

concust - 2018-10-12 10:33 AM

I fully admit I'm giving the guy slack, maybe my theories will bear out to be untrue after he goes through a full season. But at this early point, I've seen nothing to say that he's "throwing stuff against the wall" (that is, coaching by trial and error) because what he's done so far, and what he's said, has indicated he has a plan and is trying to get players to execute to it. And so far he has not once said "we had some good looks" but in fact has pointed out clearly things they are doing wrong and doing right.

Would also add the following:

1. Coming up with lines and pairings is not scientific, IMO t's an art. It's improbable to suggest that you're going to go into a season and get the combos right straight off the bat, and even when you do, the opposition might discover ways to neutralize your tendencies, in which case changing things gives you the ability to try and counter those

2. If things aren't working, why not try to change them up? You could argue that each of the four games to date have shown different problems that need to be addressed, and as such it changes your way of thinking

3. The team is in rebuilding mode, so why not rotate players in and out more often to see what they can bring. Part of the reason they went with a 23 man roster I assume, is to make it easier to make changes and to evaluate a broader set of players

I have never had problems with coaches trying different combinations, it is a common complaint, as is blaming/praising the goaltender, or picking on defensemen more than forwards on breakdowns, but as with those other items, there's a lot more that goes into deciding what the cause is and what the solutions might be. Waiting on guys to figure it out is generally not an option in professional sports, so change is the next obvious option.

I don't really have an opinion either way with Quinn at this point, there's just not much data, and little evidence to make a judgement on. The Rangers seem to be unsure of what to do at times, and if that continues, then I think Quinn has the opportunity to adjust or correct...but it's early going right now. He does seem to be willing to reward and penalized in-game performances, and I think we've already seen an improvement in Namestnikov's game as a result
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2018-10-12 3:35 PM (#711249 - in reply to #710952)

All-Star

HH moved up to the 2nd line!! Look over your shoulder Zib
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-12 3:47 PM (#711251 - in reply to #711249)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2018-10-12 5:35 PM

Someone also needs to tell Zib that the Season started
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-10-12 3:49 PM (#711252 - in reply to #711249)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2018-10-12 5:35 PM

Im glad he got off the 5th line!
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2018-10-12 5:32 PM (#711253 - in reply to #710952)

All-Star

The vet forwards have not shown up yet. Way to show/set an example to a young team. The kids are if you can call it carrying this team. Zuc made a good d-play on the OT goal.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2018-10-12 5:34 PM
Av-merican
Posted 2018-10-12 11:28 PM (#711255 - in reply to #710952)

All-Star

I'll admit I'm using a lot of conjecture on Quinn and that it's kinda silly to judge a coach one way or another before five games have even taken place. I certainly do not envy the guy and I don't think anyone could just take this rag-tag roster and magically make four lines (or even ONE) that work. But I still don't love his approach thus far. If he proves me wrong and gets things going in the right direction, I'll be thrilled with him. I just don't think this is the way you inspire players to be better. Of course the highest level I ever coached was Squirt BB, so what do I know...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software