Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hawks fire Quenneville.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Rranger
Posted 2018-11-06 8:02 AM (#713271)
Subject: Hawks fire Quenneville.

MVP

Usually how it always ends no matter who.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-11-06 8:20 AM (#713273 - in reply to #713271)
Subject: Re: Hawks fire Quenneville.

Legend

Wow....didnt see that coming. 3 SC in 6 years doesnt buy what it used to I suppose
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-11-06 8:26 AM (#713274 - in reply to #713271)

Legend

AV just got excited
Mikey Red
Posted 2018-11-06 9:16 AM (#713277 - in reply to #713271)

Legend

Stan Bowman sure didnt help things with the talent he gave away
Rranger
Posted 2018-11-07 8:29 AM (#713484 - in reply to #713271)

MVP

Interesting to see LA go with Desjardin running his deal out, on a show us what you got or your gone at the end of the season, and Chicago goes with a young phenom type. Vigneault has Quenneville to compete with now assuming Quenneville doesn't ride off into the sunset. Chewy might be sitting awhile.
Rranger
Posted 2018-11-07 8:46 AM (#713486 - in reply to #713271)

MVP

I think Quenneville and Chicago problems, often when teams fire coaches are always attributed to players tuning out a coach, when its sometimes the coach taking his foot off the pedal and starts letting player transgressions slide to the point of the team suffering. Staying engaged as a coach is a hard thing when complacency starts creeping in, and when the team is as talented as Chicago they can still look pretty good as the complacency works its way into their game. And then eventually the team just stops playing for the coach. I think Quenneville fell victim to a combination of players quitting on him as much as he took his foot off the petal. As much as players need a reset with a new coach and or a trade, coaches often need a new challenge and address to get the juices flowing again.
sureshore
Posted 2018-11-07 9:20 AM (#713487 - in reply to #713271)

All-Star

I think Chicago's problems plain and simple is having so much money tied up in so few players. Pittsburgh, to a degree suffers the same fate as will Tampa soon enogh and Edmonton and Toronto to a lesser degree. That's why they go all out for a cup run for a few years and then start the selloffs. So much else has to go right with the draft picks and scrap-heap signings for it to hold together. Example is how Pittsburgh won the cup with a no-name defense and had to let Fleury go for the lower priced prospect who can't stay healthy. (Oh, and it doesn't hurt having 2 of the top players in the world on your team to always give you a chance Pens). As good as Kane and Toews are, they aren't Crosby and Malkin
Rranger
Posted 2018-11-07 9:49 AM (#713488 - in reply to #713487)

MVP

sureshore - 2018-11-07 8:20 AM

I think Chicago's problems plain and simple is having so much money tied up in so few players. Pittsburgh, to a degree suffers the same fate as will Tampa soon enogh and Edmonton and Toronto to a lesser degree. That's why they go all out for a cup run for a few years and then start the selloffs. So much else has to go right with the draft picks and scrap-heap signings for it to hold together. Example is how Pittsburgh won the cup with a no-name defense and had to let Fleury go for the lower priced prospect who can't stay healthy. (Oh, and it doesn't hurt having 2 of the top players in the world on your team to always give you a chance Pens). As good as Kane and Toews are, they aren't Crosby and Malkin

I think it goes a deeper than just that. If Toews was playing like he should play, and Kane, Keith, Seabrook ect should play, they wouldn’t be sitting where they are. I think it’s more the classic example of a coach’s time running out, brought on by the combo of players tuning out a coach who has probably let up on effort and complying demands and discipline.
To your point that’s Garrys can’t let great teams stay great to long, without bottom feeders getting their hands on players good teams can’t afford to keep, so make it financially impossible. Crosby and Malkin are about due to let up it’s enevitable.
Av-merican
Posted 2018-11-09 10:32 AM (#713517 - in reply to #713271)

All-Star

Things have been contentious for a few years now between Quenneville and management. This was inevitable.

Bowman has mismanaged the roster for quite some time now. A number of moves have slowly whittled away at the depth. Trading away a viable prospect in Teuvo Teravainen just so they could dump Brian Bickell's horrible contract. A supposedly analytics-savvy team signing Seabrook long-term, when his underlying numbers have been bad for a while now. And the Saad/Panarin deal, not to mention losing Hjalmarsson for virtually nothing, and you have a very mediocre hockey team. Corey Crawford did a ton to cover up for the increasingly wide gaps in the roster until his health bottomed out, and now can't save them either.

Toews isn't the problem, nor is Kane. Both are playing great hockey right now. Keith is still good, but no longer the elite talent he once was. The Hawks just needed to admit they were done and taken steps accordingly. They haven't, and now Q's paying the price. But I won't be too sad for him. He's got 3 Stanley Cups, the 2nd-winningest coach in NHL history (and will probably be 1st when all is said and done) and can just sit at home for this year and next and collect millions. I imagine he'll wait at least until the end of the season to field offers.
Mandar
Posted 2018-11-09 12:00 PM (#713519 - in reply to #713517)

MVP

Av-merican - 2018-11-09 12:32 PM

Things have been contentious for a few years now between Quenneville and management. This was inevitable.

Bowman has mismanaged the roster for quite some time now. A number of moves have slowly whittled away at the depth. Trading away a viable prospect in Teuvo Teravainen just so they could dump Brian Bickell's horrible contract. A supposedly analytics-savvy team signing Seabrook long-term, when his underlying numbers have been bad for a while now. And the Saad/Panarin deal, not to mention losing Hjalmarsson for virtually nothing, and you have a very mediocre hockey team. Corey Crawford did a ton to cover up for the increasingly wide gaps in the roster until his health bottomed out, and now can't save them either.

Toews isn't the problem, nor is Kane. Both are playing great hockey right now. Keith is still good, but no longer the elite talent he once was. The Hawks just needed to admit they were done and taken steps accordingly. They haven't, and now Q's paying the price. But I won't be too sad for him. He's got 3 Stanley Cups, the 2nd-winningest coach in NHL history (and will probably be 1st when all is said and done) and can just sit at home for this year and next and collect millions. I imagine he'll wait at least until the end of the season to field offers.

hahahaha....yep
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2018-11-09 12:10 PM (#713520 - in reply to #713271)

All-Star

10 years as the coach, that's a long time, there comes a time a team needs a change.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software