Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Preseason Game 2: Rangers @ the Rock 9/20/19 - 7pm - MSG/NHLN
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Steady Eddie
Posted 2019-09-20 2:47 PM (#728090)
Subject: Preseason Game 2: Rangers @ the Rock 9/20/19 - 7pm - MSG/NHLN

MVP

RANGERS at DEVILS, 7 p.m.
Preseason Game 2
Prudential Center
MSG Network

The Rangers and Devils are right back at it on Friday night, only with a change of venue and all-new personnel on both sides.

Micheal Haley, who scored in these teams' meeting at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday - the Rangers' preseason opener - will be the only Blueshirt to face the Devils in both preseason games so far when the Rangers play the return match in Newark on Friday. That means it's some other Rangers' turns - Pavel BuchnevichBrett HowdenFilip ChytilRyan StromeHenrik Lundqvist and the rest - to make their preseason debuts.

Tony DeAngelo won't be among them this time, but the news on Friday is that the defenseman is ready to rejoin the team after the sides came together on a contract early Friday. The 23-year-old blueliner is expected to join his teammates on Saturday but may not begin skating right away.

"It's good to have him back," David Quinn said after the Rangers completed their practices on Friday. "He's a big part of our future. He had a real strong second half last year. Listen, there's a business side to this, we all understand that, but we're anticipating him to stay for a while now and we're glad to have him back."

Any timeline on DeAngelo getting into practice and then game action remains to be determined, "but we want to get him involved as quickly as possible," Quinn said.

As for Friday's game, Lundqvist will get the start in the nets as he ramps up preparation for his 15th season as a Ranger; the plan is for him to play half the game before handing it off to Adam Huska, the newly signed backstop coming off an impressive showing in Traverse City.

Lundqvist and Huska and Co. will face a Devils team that, unlike Wednesday night at the Garden, will field a roster that includes newcomers Jack Hughes and P.K. Subban, as well as returning players Taylor Hall and Kyle Palmieri, among others.

After his morning skate on Friday, Lundqvist said he has come into Training Camp with a "very positive feeling. I was hoping that we were going to take couple of big steps this summer in the right direction, and we did. So for me personally, it was not hard to motivate yourself to go hard this summer, prepare yourself for the season - you got that little extra push from management, I feel like, when you look what happened over the summer. So I'm just excited to get going and start playing games.

"It's about getting your legs going, get your mind in the right place. There is only so much you can do training-wise; you need to play games to get that sharp focus that you need. You just need to be out there."

Joey Keane is one of the Rangers prospects who figures to see significant minutes on Friday night, paired up to start the game with Marc Staal, who is gearing up for his 13th season in a Blueshirt.

Defenseman Sean Day, who had offseason hip surgery, joined his teammates on the Training Center ice for the first time on Friday. Day is likely to continue skating in the red no-contact jersey for the foreseeable future.

The Rangers also trimmed their Training Camp roster by four players on Friday; with DeAngelo's return, 45 players remain in camp - 26 forwards, 15 defensemen, four goaltenders.

PROJECTED LINEUP

90 Namestnikov - 21 Howden - 89 Buchnevich
16 Strome - 72 Chytil - 17 Fast
28 Di Giuseppe - 29 Fogarty - 95 Lettieri
38 Haley - 37 Fontaine - 34 Newell

18 Staal - 82 Keane
51 Reunanen - 70 Morrow
55 Lindgren - 54 Geertsen

30 Lundqvist
32 Huska

WHADDYA SAY?

Dan Girardi, the undrafted defenseman who went on to play 11 seasons and 788 games as a Ranger - plus 122 more in the playoffs - announced his retirement on Friday; his longtime D partner Marc Staal and longtime goaltender Henrik Lundqvist reflected on their friend's career:

STAAL: "He worked extremely hard for everything he got, he earned everything he got in the game. I was happy and proud to be able to play with him for as long as I did in a Ranger uniform. That's something that we'll have for the rest of our lives. And so for me, selfishly, I just was happy I got to play with a guy like that."

LUNDQVIST: "One of my all-time favorite teammates. The way he played the game, he was a funny guy to be around, and extremely loyal to the team always. We had so much success together. … I always knew what you get from him, for so many years. I admired how he played. He was a huge part of this team success over so many years."

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steady Eddie
Posted 2019-09-20 5:19 PM (#728092 - in reply to #728090)
Subject: Re: Preseason Game 2: Rangers @ the Rock 9/20/19 - 7pm - MSG/NHLN

MVP

Staal with the late change, and Hughes... 1-0
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-09-20 6:31 PM (#728096 - in reply to #728090)

All-Star

Hanks 5 hole is looking like the Lincoln tunnel
Rranger
Posted 2019-09-20 7:56 PM (#728099 - in reply to #728090)

MVP

I hate preseason nowadays. At least in the old days there was 10-12 fights a game.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-21 3:53 AM (#728101 - in reply to #728090)

All-Star

Hughes was impressive but the defenseman we had out there were awful as well as most of the forwards. Guys that will never see the NHL. I think the team gave up 10 to 15 odd man rushes. It was comical. Howden looked good. Chytil was better on draws. That was about it. Personally, I think Hank is done but they will give him the benefit of the doubt.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-21 3:59 AM (#728102 - in reply to #728090)

All-Star

Is Rykov injured? Why wasn't Lundkvist invited to camp?
Steady Eddie
Posted 2019-09-21 5:33 AM (#728103 - in reply to #728090)

MVP

Rykov hurt his ankle. Not sure if he hurt it at Traverse City or early in camp. Lundkvist started his season in Sweden. He should be playing in the world juniors tournament.

itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-21 6:41 AM (#728104 - in reply to #728090)

All-Star

I guess with Trouba, Fox and DeAngelo on the right, he wouldn't have a shot making the team here. Eventually, if he makes it and they don't want to carry 4 righties, one has to go. Trouba doubtful because of his monster contract. My guess would be DeAngelo. It would be pretty stupid to trade Lundkvist after wasting a first rounder on him. I was praying they would take Veleno. Passing him up probably was a big mistake. However, I guess they didn't know at that time what Fox would do and if DeAngelo would do anything so they were desperate to add a legit righty defenseman prospect. The way things played out, now it looks like a bad move. He's off to a good start with 3 points in 3 games. I suppose you could make the case that a righty defenseman prospect at 5'11 with offense who is a potential top 4 guy will have more valuie than a 6'1 center prospect who projects at 50 to 60 points. However, I'm getting the sense that if DeAngelo has a good year with 40-50 points, he's going to want 5+ million and I don't see the Rangers commiting to that.

I've said for months now that eventually Gorton will have to do a 3 or 4 for 1 deal involving young prospects or players for a proven young player who fits here. There are too many prospects with no place to go here. Team I think to focus in on is the Wild. They are old. Have very little future. Greenway is a kid that who's game I love. His big, a wing and would be perfect here. You're going to have to give up a package of young talent to get him. So something like DeAngelo, Skjei and Buchnevich. Stars get 3 young players for 1. Koivu comes off the books for them which is good considering the moronic contracts they gave Suter and Parise. If they had any clue they would try to move Suter to a contender at half retained now. I would be trading Brodin as well for prospects and picks. They need to clean house.

Edited by itsmcilrathtime 2019-09-21 6:59 AM
Vua
Posted 2019-09-21 7:35 AM (#728105 - in reply to #728104)

All-Star

itsmcilrathtime - 2019-09-21 6:41 AM

I guess with Trouba, Fox and DeAngelo on the right, he wouldn't have a shot making the team here. Eventually, if he makes it and they don't want to carry 4 righties, one has to go. Trouba doubtful because of his monster contract. My guess would be DeAngelo. It would be pretty stupid to trade Lundkvist after wasting a first rounder on him. I was praying they would take Veleno. Passing him up probably was a big mistake. However, I guess they didn't know at that time what Fox would do and if DeAngelo would do anything so they were desperate to add a legit righty defenseman prospect. The way things played out, now it looks like a bad move. He's off to a good start with 3 points in 3 games. I suppose you could make the case that a righty defenseman prospect at 5'11 with offense who is a potential top 4 guy will have more valuie than a 6'1 center prospect who projects at 50 to 60 points. However, I'm getting the sense that if DeAngelo has a good year with 40-50 points, he's going to want 5+ million and I don't see the Rangers commiting to that.

I've said for months now that eventually Gorton will have to do a 3 or 4 for 1 deal involving young prospects or players for a proven young player who fits here. There are too many prospects with no place to go here. Team I think to focus in on is the Wild. They are old. Have very little future. Greenway is a kid that who's game I love. His big, a wing and would be perfect here. You're going to have to give up a package of young talent to get him. So something like DeAngelo, Skjei and Buchnevich. Stars get 3 young players for 1. Koivu comes off the books for them which is good considering the moronic contracts they gave Suter and Parise. If they had any clue they would try to move Suter to a contender at half retained now. I would be trading Brodin as well for prospects and picks. They need to clean house.

Jumping the gun a bit here? How about some of these guys prove themselves to be NHL players before you start trading people away to make room for them. Having too many defensemen is a good problem to have, but at this point we don't know what we have. And your proposed drafting strategy of don't draft a right defenseman because we may have a guy that will be a pro is just stupid. This isn't a video game. And those 3 players for Greenway? Really? You smoke the good stuff.
rjpny75
Posted 2019-09-21 8:52 AM (#728107 - in reply to #728105)

Rookie

Vua - 2019-09-21 9:35 AM

itsmcilrathtime - 2019-09-21 6:41 AM

Jumping the gun a bit here? How about some of these guys prove themselves to be NHL players before you start trading people away to make room for them. Having too many defensemen is a good problem to have, but at this point we don't know what we have. And your proposed drafting strategy of don't draft a right defenseman because we may have a guy that will be a pro is just stupid. This isn't a video game. And those 3 players for Greenway? Really? You smoke the good stuff.

itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-21 10:20 AM (#728109 - in reply to #728090)

All-Star

Greenway is a guy that has a tremendous upside. Both physically and offensively. He was one of the best young players I saw last year. His surrounding cast was awful. What is stupid is drafting a lot of defenseman when your organization is light on wing. That is what they did. You draft for need. Taking the best player available is always a dumb strategy. Giants did that for years and it left them with entire units void of talent. Granted, Gorton got a ton of extra picks. However, taking 2 defenseman in that draft was stupid. The organization already had acquired several defenseman prospects in deals and had taken Miller in that draft.

It's not easy to make deals in the NHL. These organizations constantly think they have good defenseman prospects even when they don't. As far as Skjei. He's overpaid and we have several lefty defenseman to take his spot. As far as DeAngelo goes, we don't need two small, offensive defenseman on the roster. One in Fox is enough. As far as Buchnevich, he can easily be replaced. Not having those three guys on the roster is not nearly important as adding a hulking, physical winger in Greenway who can score. I see your lack of knowledge on him but you will begin to understand his game more this year when you watch him breakout into a 25-25 guy.
sureshore
Posted 2019-09-23 7:31 AM (#728125 - in reply to #728109)

All-Star

itsmcilrathtime - 2019-09-21 12:20 PM

Greenway is a guy that has a tremendous upside. Both physically and offensively. He was one of the best young players I saw last year. His surrounding cast was awful. What is stupid is drafting a lot of defenseman when your organization is light on wing. That is what they did. You draft for need. Taking the best player available is always a dumb strategy. Giants did that for years and it left them with entire units void of talent. Granted, Gorton got a ton of extra picks. However, taking 2 defenseman in that draft was stupid. The organization already had acquired several defenseman prospects in deals and had taken Miller in that draft.

It's not easy to make deals in the NHL. These organizations constantly think they have good defenseman prospects even when they don't. As far as Skjei. He's overpaid and we have several lefty defenseman to take his spot. As far as DeAngelo goes, we don't need two small, offensive defenseman on the roster. One in Fox is enough. As far as Buchnevich, he can easily be replaced. Not having those three guys on the roster is not nearly important as adding a hulking, physical winger in Greenway who can score. I see your lack of knowledge on him but you will begin to understand his game more this year when you watch him breakout into a 25-25 guy.

So trading a guy (Buchnevich) who's probably a 30/30 guy along with 2 top 4 NHL defensemen for a big guy who's gonna be a breakout 25/25 guy whose game so far is more noticeable for how big he looks than anything especially physical he does. Also, people complain about how Kreider disappears for games at a time. This guy is the same or worse.

No thanks - trade just for the sake of getting bigger when talking about dealing away 3 bona-fide assets is just dumb.
Rranger
Posted 2019-09-23 8:23 AM (#728127 - in reply to #728125)

MVP

sureshore - 2019-09-23 6:31 AM

itsmcilrathtime - 2019-09-21 12:20 PM

So trading a guy (Buchnevich) who's probably a 30/30 guy along with 2 top 4 NHL defensemen for a big guy who's gonna be a breakout 25/25 guy whose game so far is more noticeable for how big he looks than anything especially physical he does. Also, people complain about how Kreider disappears for games at a time. This guy is the same or worse.

No thanks - trade just for the sake of getting bigger when talking about dealing away 3 bona-fide assets is just dumb.

Thank you Sureshore.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-09-23 10:52 AM (#728128 - in reply to #728090)

All-Star

Buchnevich is a dog until I see his lazy ass actually put together a full season. Like I said. You clearly know nothing about Greenway's game and potential.

Edited by itsmcilrathtime 2019-09-23 10:53 AM
Steady Eddie
Posted 2019-09-23 1:21 PM (#728129 - in reply to #728090)

MVP

Greenway or Genoway?
sureshore
Posted 2019-09-23 2:00 PM (#728131 - in reply to #728128)

All-Star

itsmcilrathtime - 2019-09-23 12:52 PM

Buchnevich is a dog until I see his lazy ass actually put together a full season. Like I said. You clearly know nothing about Greenway's game and potential.
I know EVERYTHING there is to know about Greenway. He's hard to miss when he's out there. Potential? Nail Yakupov was full of potential
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software