Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Igor Shesterkin
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

robstones
Posted 2019-10-23 7:11 AM (#728912)
Subject: Igor Shesterkin

Legend

Couldn't find a thread on him, but we're clearly going to want to keep an eye on him because so far he has picked up where he left off in Russia.

Only 3 games under his belt, but he's undefeated with a 1.34 GAA and a .952 sv% including a 36 save shutout

The Pack have back to back games Friday and Saturday, so we'll see what the weekend brings.

At some point a decision is going to have to be made. One of Lundqvist or Georgiev has got to go.... because Igor is coming....

Both Henk and Georgie have been good.... either one should bring back a solid return. There's no rush, but as expected, this is a developing story this season
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-23 7:34 AM (#728917 - in reply to #728912)
Subject: Re: Igor Shesterkin

MVP

Lundqvist would be the obvious choice to go. He has the least long term value on the ice to the Rangers going forward. Georgiev is a intriguing guy showing all the signs of being a capable starter. The Rangers have a lot of deserved confidence in Shestorokin and deservedly so, but prudence suggests hanging onto Georgiev and let those two duke it out in the NHL..
x10003q
Posted 2019-10-23 7:55 AM (#728918 - in reply to #728917)

MVP

Rranger - 2019-10-23 9:34 AM

Lundqvist would be the obvious choice to go. He has the least long term value on the ice to the Rangers going forward. Georgiev is a intriguing guy showing all the signs of being a capable starter. The Rangers have a lot of deserved confidence in Shestorokin and deservedly so, but prudence suggests hanging onto Georgiev and let those two duke it out in the NHL..

Hank will not leave. So far, he seems to value his NY Rangers legacy more than the opportunity to win a cup. I wonder if the Rangers asked him if he wanted leave after last season's mess. This season has a very slim chance for the playoffs and no chance for a cup. Is Hank hopeful about next season? Georgiev looks like a full time NHL goalie so far. If Shestorkin is the real deal, the unfortunate answer would be to trade Georgiev. Doing that before Shestorkin gets here is a risky move.
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-23 8:03 AM (#728919 - in reply to #728918)

MVP

x10003q - 2019-10-23 6:55 AM

Hank will not leave. So far, he seems to value his NY Rangers legacy more than the opportunity to win a cup. I wonder if the Rangers asked him if he wanted leave after last season's mess. This season has a very slim chance for the playoffs and no chance for a cup. Is Hank hopeful about next season? Georgiev looks like a full time NHL goalie so far. If Shestorkin is the real deal, the unfortunate answer would be to trade Georgiev. Doing that before Shestorkin gets here is a risky move.

It would take a hell of a enticement to get Lundqvist to move. And I think the biggest issue is how many teams contending for a CUP, would realistically believe he's going to provide the type of goaltending to win a Cup at this stage of his career. It's probably not a very big list, and he's probably not a upgrade at this stage. An injury to a contenders starter would probably provide the cap room, opportunity, and possibly the persuasion Lundqvist would need. And then it would be on him.
Vua
Posted 2019-10-23 8:10 AM (#728920 - in reply to #728919)

All-Star

Rranger - 2019-10-23 8:03 AM

It would take a hell of a enticement to get Lundqvist to move. And I think the biggest issue is how many teams contending for a CUP, would realistically believe he's going to provide the type of goaltending to win a Cup at this stage of his career. It's probably not a very big list, and he's probably not a upgrade at this stage. An injury to a contenders starter would probably provide the cap room, opportunity, and possibly the persuasion Lundqvist would need. And then it would be on him.

Eat half his salary and send him to San Jose. Their goaltending is awful again and keeps costing them. Even on his last legs Lundqvist is better than Jones.
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-23 8:27 AM (#728922 - in reply to #728920)

MVP

Vua - 2019-10-23 7:10 AM

Rranger - 2019-10-23 8:03 AM

Eat half his salary and send him to San Jose. Their goaltending is awful again and keeps costing them. Even on his last legs Lundqvist is better than Jones.

I’m with you on that. I think the Rangers can make it work somewhere, if he will go, there just won’t be much of a return.
robstones
Posted 2019-10-23 8:36 AM (#728923 - in reply to #728912)

Legend

If Shesterkin is the real deal... it looks like he is.... Then the trade value is Georgiev.

Teams looking for a goalie aren't looking for a Lundqvist... they're looking for a long term starter.

Georgiev isn't the starter here.... he'll never be the starter here.... And that isn't saying he's not good enough to start, it's just Lundqvist is going to be splitting the time with him... because he is also good still...

And will be next year... after that he may very well retire, or take a pay cut for a couple years to remain in NY as Shesty's backup IF the team looks like it can contend by then.

If by the deadline Georgiev shows that he is ready to be a starter, teams that need one will come calling for him.

Edited by robstones 2019-10-23 8:37 AM
Vua
Posted 2019-10-23 10:26 AM (#728925 - in reply to #728923)

All-Star

robstones - 2019-10-23 8:36 AM

If Shesterkin is the real deal... it looks like he is.... Then the trade value is Georgiev.

Teams looking for a goalie aren't looking for a Lundqvist... they're looking for a long term starter.

Georgiev isn't the starter here.... he'll never be the starter here.... And that isn't saying he's not good enough to start, it's just Lundqvist is going to be splitting the time with him... because he is also good still...

And will be next year... after that he may very well retire, or take a pay cut for a couple years to remain in NY as Shesty's backup IF the team looks like it can contend by then.

If by the deadline Georgiev shows that he is ready to be a starter, teams that need one will come calling for him.

Half of San Jose's team uses walkers when they aren't on the ice. They look for long term or short term solutions. And I'd rather keep Georgiev as a backup for now and clear out some of Lundqvist's salary. I'd take a bag of pucks to do it. I don't see it happening but I wouldn't trade either young goalie to keep Lundqvist around. That makes no sense.
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-23 11:41 AM (#728928 - in reply to #728925)

MVP

Vua - 2019-10-23 9:26 AM

Half of San Jose's team uses walkers when they aren't on the ice. They look for long term or short term solutions. And I'd rather keep Georgiev as a backup for now and clear out some of Lundqvist's salary. I'd take a bag of pucks to do it. I don't see it happening but I wouldn't trade either young goalie to keep Lundqvist around. That makes no sense.

Exactly, who thinks Georgiev has more value than Lundqvist to a team looking to make a playoff run? And that’s the only type of team that would pursue Lundqvist. Don’t discount the pull Karlsson in SAN Jose might have on Lundqvist in a private conversation also.
Trading Georgiev should only happen after Shestorokin has actually proven not hypothesized he is better than Georgiev. Battling it out with Shestorokin will only enhance Georgiev’s game and trade value. There is such a thing as cultivating trade value in a guy like Georgiev and it would be silly to trade him before he reaches max value.
robstones
Posted 2019-10-23 11:42 AM (#728929 - in reply to #728925)

Legend

Vua - 2019-10-23 12:26 PM

Keep him around? His contract is up next year.... So you get Shesterkin up here, split time with Lundqvist the way Talbot, Raanta, and Georgiev have all done... and when Lundqvist retires, Shesty takes over...
x10003q
Posted 2019-10-23 1:19 PM (#728934 - in reply to #728929)

MVP

robstones - 2019-10-23 1:42 PM

Keep him around? His contract is up next year.... So you get Shesterkin up here, split time with Lundqvist the way Talbot, Raanta, and Georgiev have all done... and when Lundqvist retires, Shesty takes over...

What if Georgiev is better?
robstones
Posted 2019-10-23 4:59 PM (#728939 - in reply to #728912)

Legend

Georgiev isn't better than Lundqvist now... If Georgiev is better, than Shesterkin is a bust.

I'm assuming Shesterkin is not a bust.

I'm not saying trade either Lundqvist or Georgiev now... Shesterkin needs to get NHL time first... he'll get a callup this season.

If Shesterkin proves to be as good or better than the other 2... if he's at their level... we keep the younger home grown one
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-23 5:14 PM (#728941 - in reply to #728929)

MVP

robstones - 2019-10-23 10:42 AM

Georgiev will be one of the better goaltending bargains available. Do you think he’s going to break the bank? He will if his start is a indication supply as good a goaltending as Lundqvist for a 1/4 of the money if they can move Lundqvist. And he’s here until Shestorokin proves he’s better than Georgiev. Lundqvist is the non fit. Just because they did it with Talbot , Raanta doesn’t mean you do it with Georgiev.
Vua
Posted 2019-10-23 5:31 PM (#728942 - in reply to #728939)

All-Star

robstones - 2019-10-23 4:59 PM

Georgiev isn't better than Lundqvist now... If Georgiev is better, than Shesterkin is a bust.

I'm not saying trade either Lundqvist or Georgiev now... Shesterkin needs to get NHL time first... he'll get a callup this season.

If Shesterkin proves to be as good or better than the other 2... if he's at their level... we keep the younger home grown one

I'd disagree about Georgiev not being better than Lundqvist right now. From what I see he is. And Georgiev turning out better than Shesterkin doesn't automatically mean he's a bust. What kind of comment is that? Lundqvist being gone would help out a lot with the cap hit next year that buying out Shattenkirk is leaving behind. I know Lundqvist is gone after next season, but you brought up resigning him. I didn't say that. There is no benefit to keeping Lundqvist around at all. None. And you'd be better off trading Georgiev later if Shesterkin pans out than trading him this year.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-10-23 6:30 PM (#728943 - in reply to #728912)

All-Star

I would say Georgiev is just as good as Lundqvist. At 23 he should get even better
robstones
Posted 2019-10-23 7:10 PM (#728944 - in reply to #728943)

Legend

Rangerjunkie - 2019-10-23 8:30 PM

I would say Georgiev is just as good as Lundqvist. At 23 he should get even better

Yeah... they're about equal.... both are playing great. The losses have been in spite of great goaltending.

I think Lundqvist retires next year... The benefit of keeping him is to have Shesterkin learn from one of if not THE best goalie in franchise history....

Ben Allaire gets credit for Talbot, Raanta and everyone else, but I think Lundqvist contributes to these guys developement too. Georgiev... Lundqvist helped mold these guys, and I want him here for Shesterkin to learn from too
Rranger
Posted 2019-10-23 7:41 PM (#728945 - in reply to #728944)

MVP

robstones - 2019-10-23 6:10 PM

Rangerjunkie - 2019-10-23 8:30 PM

Yeah... they're about equal.... both are playing great. The losses have been in spite of great goaltending.

I think Lundqvist retires next year... The benefit of keeping him is to have Shesterkin learn from one of if not THE best goalie in franchise history....

Ben Allaire gets credit for Talbot, Raanta and everyone else, but I think Lundqvist contributes to these guys developement too. Georgiev... Lundqvist helped mold these guys, and I want him here for Shesterkin to learn from too

“””””Georgiev isn't better than Lundqvist now... If Georgiev is better, than Shesterkin is a bust. “”””””

Your quote which makes zero sense. How if Georgiev is better than Lundqvist makes Shestorokin a bust requires a explanation. . And a couple posts later you say”” Georgiev and Lundqvist are about equal””. Which is a subjective thing and your opinion, some feel Georgiev is better now. And I don’t disagree with that. He certainly has more long term value than Lundqvist and the idea Lundqvist is going to be some kind of mentoring guru doesn’t hold water. You have to look to find a goalie of Lundqvist's stature that was happy and mentored a youngster in the twilight of his career. And never for $8.5 mill. Guys like Lundqvist go down swinging. The best thing for the Rangers is a adequate return for moving Henrek when Shestorokin proves he has graduated from Hartford, and then he and Georgiev duke it out.
x10003q
Posted 2019-10-23 8:48 PM (#728947 - in reply to #728939)

MVP

robstones - 2019-10-23 6:59 PM

Georgiev is 42 days younger than Shestyorkan

I think Hank will continue to refuse a trade.
sureshore
Posted 2019-10-24 10:14 AM (#728952 - in reply to #728939)

All-Star

Isn't Georgiev home grown as well as Shesterkin?
rjpny75
Posted 2019-10-24 10:21 AM (#728953 - in reply to #728952)

Rookie

sureshore - 2019-10-24 12:14 PM

Isn't Georgiev home grown as well as Shesterkin?

Yes, but Georgie was signed as a UFA and Shesty was drafted.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software