Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mark Pavelich
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2019-12-08 5:00 PM (#730330)
Subject: Mark Pavelich

MVP

Sad story

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28227894/judge-orders-miracle-ic...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2019-12-08 6:16 PM (#730334 - in reply to #730330)
Subject: Re: Mark Pavelich

Legend

Today, Barry Beck posted this on his Facebook... Beck has been very perplexed and concerned about his old teammate and has posted a few things on this matter.

“I spoke with Mark Pavelich yesterday who’s been detained in a Psychiatric Facility outside of Minneapolis. We spoke for over an hour on a communal phone. I first told him “I miss you Pav” before carrying on with our conversation. I then asked him “Is it like One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest in there?” He laughed and said “well it can be at times.””So which character are you?”I asked. “Jack Nicholson” he said. “No,No, No your Danny Devito!” I told him. We had a big laugh and that’s what I wanted to do. Just put a smile on his face.
The conversation was lighthearted in the beginning and over the next 90 minutes we discussed his case. He sounded better than I thought he would and I think it was good for him to talk with an old friend. The reality is he could be on the move once again to another facility. We did talk about the nuts and bolts of his case that I will further discuss with his sister Jean. It was Pav I was talking to not some deranged criminal. He was coherent and seemed to have his wits about him.

He does understand the seriousness of his case but was he misrepresented in the court hearings? Right now he has to go along with the program and it could take some time. I told him “You have a lot of support on the outside from around the world..especially former Olympic and Ranger teammates. Then you have the fans. Ranger fans miss you and wish you the best in your recovery” He wanted to say thank you for everyone’s support. When he had said that our call was be monitored I told him “I better get the birthday cake with the hacksaw blade in the middle I sent, back from Federal Express!”

It will take time to sort things out but something didn’t seem right with his case. His lawyer would not let him speak at the hearing. Pav definitely wants his side of the story told.

I told him for now just concentrate on getting well. He is defiant and I could not help but admire him for that. He must follow the proceedings and work on his mental state with the right therapist. It will take some time.

“We are going to build a ranch for both players and animals that suffer daily. Bring them together to help in both’s recovery” He liked that idea and wants to be involved. I said “You have to be involved because it’s called The Mark Pavelich Foundation!” “Count me in” he replied. They are initial steps in recovery..small steps but left us both with hope. Mark again wanted to thank everyone for their support..Ranger fans are close to his heart as he was proud to wear the Ranger colours! I told him that I loved him and will help in anyway I can. We then said our goodbyes as he now has a goal and is motivated to mend relationships and get well.

God bless him on his road to recovery.”

Andy Bathgate
Posted 2019-12-09 12:57 PM (#730371 - in reply to #730330)

Legend

From Barry BecK

‘’ Saturday morning in Hong Kong means early hockey practice at Dragon Center with the roller coaster on the ceiling .

I spoke to Mark Pavelich’s 87 year old mother yesterday and reassured her Mark has a lot of support from former teammates and fans around the world. She seemed relieved as we continued to talk about Mark for the next 20 minutes. She said “ I just want to make it one more year to see Mark released” We said our emotional goodbyes and promised her that we’ll see that Mark gets proper treatment on the road to recovery.

A lot of people asked me “what can we do to help?”

I think the NY Rangers should do a video presentation at MSG on the jumbotron about Pavs career and wish him a speedy recovery. They have former players who have left the team to seek more money and have videos of them. Isn’t this just as important?
They should also have Marks sister Jean fly in for the presentation.
The Rangers could take this opportunity to set a benchmark for other teams to follow.

It would be a very classy act on their part!

Mark, his mother and sister Jean,thank you for your support! ??”

Andy Bathgate
Posted 2019-12-17 7:23 PM (#730562 - in reply to #730330)

Legend

If you wanna send Mark a holiday card or some words of encouragement... here’s the address, 2100 Sheppard DR. St Peter, MN, 56082

Rranger
Posted 2019-12-17 9:19 PM (#730563 - in reply to #730330)

MVP

He was a good honest Ranger player.
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2019-12-18 9:40 PM (#730568 - in reply to #730563)

Legend

Rranger - 2019-12-17 11:19 PM

Yes he was! And he’s still a great honest person, with concussion problems and in need of major help!
Rranger
Posted 2019-12-19 7:18 AM (#730569 - in reply to #730568)

MVP

Andy Bathgate - 2019-12-18 8:40 PM

Rranger - 2019-12-17 11:19 PM

Yes he was! And he’s still a great honest person, with concussion problems and in need of major help!

Hopefully he can get through it and enjoy life.
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2020-01-20 9:21 PM (#731365 - in reply to #730330)

Legend

Barry Becks update from Facebook...

Just got off the phone with Mark Pavelich. I’m very concerned now. He admits to having two bad concussions but does not believe he has any form of mental illness.

I’m trying to put all the pieces together and there are parts missing for me.

There was a hunting accident in high school that was very traumatic for Mark plus the death of Jeans best friend at her stag party in a car accident.
He went on to play college hockey and then win the gold medal in Lake Placid after those events. He then signed with the Rangers and was a formidable scoring machine while he was in NYC. He had another bad concussion with the Rangers before leaving the team 4 years later.

Then the story takes some twists and turns.
Mark lost his wife in an accident at their house. She was on the back balcony to get better phone reception and slipped and fell to her death.
Mark who was in his bedroom at the time ran for help but it was too late.

He was obviously traumatised by his wife’s death. Jean also lost her husband around the same time so they both supported one another as they did after the hunting accident.
He never received any professional care or therapy after his wife’s death. Jean is a very strong women and thought they could get through it. She has always been there for Mark as she is now.

There are some other incidents documented in the past five years with Mark. As Mark is a local hero the sheriff may have been a little soft with him.

He has new lawyers now and the Alumni Association are trying to help before the hearing Feb.11. Mark will sit down with the lawyers and go through their options. He’s very confident he will be released.

I’ve been told that if he does not want to seek treatment then he will most likely stay in the unit where he is now detained and that could be for a long time. He doesn’t believe it will happen but I had to be candid with him.
I hope the lawyers will discuss all options for him.
I think he needs help but he’s adamant about the way he feels.

Many families deal with tragic situations daily as for most it’s a part of life. Marks had a lot to deal with maybe that’s why he’s so reserved.

For me I’m missing a lot of the story. Maybe I’m caught up in it all and can’t see through the smoke.
Mark agreed to listen to the lawyers and go from there. If he wants out of where he is then it will be up to the lawyers to convince him. No one else.

He did express his thanks to author George Grimm who sent Mark a few books he wrote on the 70’s Rangers. He likes the stories on Emile Francis playing goal with a catchers mit sewn into his glove. The other stories players talked about especially during that era. They were tough dudes and were unlucky not to win a cup but you can attribute that to Bobby Orr!

So it’s wait for the lawyers now and see if they can pull a cat out of the bag.

Chinese New Year is coming this week so “Kung Hei Fat Choi” to everyone in the year of the rat. I hope for an update but the NHL all star weekend will also be happening. That means the lawyers meeting could be the following week.

Somethings missing for me on why Mark won’t comply so far. Could it be the other detainees pulling him in opposite directions and feeding him info. Or maybe he does believe he doesn’t have a problem with mental illness. That’s why there are intervention teams.

I hope it’s not too late or the screws will be tightened if he remains detained after the hearing. I don’t think that’s a road he wants to go down.

Mark Pavelich a NY Ranger and American hero.
Mjolnir
Posted 2020-01-21 7:29 AM (#731366 - in reply to #731365)

Legend

Thanks for the post, Andy.....enlightening and sad at the same time.
Av-merican
Posted 2020-01-21 9:22 AM (#731367 - in reply to #730330)

All-Star

Oof...that's horrible.
Andy Bathgate
Posted 2020-01-22 11:52 AM (#731408 - in reply to #731366)

Legend

Mjolnir - 2020-01-21 9:29 AM

Thanks for the post, Andy.....enlightening and sad at the same time.

Yes it’s heart wrenching... Beck post on Facebook almost everyday of their conversations. Very sad.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software