Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Skjei
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Rranger
Posted 2019-12-29 8:19 AM (#730716)
Subject: Skjei

MVP

Trade him

https://elitesportsny.com/2019/12/28/a-new-york-rangers-decision-on-...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-12-31 1:25 AM (#730719 - in reply to #730716)
Subject: Re: Skjei

All-Star

That article was dumb. One, Skjei is playing well now. Two, they don't have enough ready on the left side to replace him. Miller isn't ready. Rykov isn't ready after missing so much time. Staal will be dealt or bought out at the end of this year. There is no reason to trade him yet. Buchnevich is the assclown they need to trade. DeAngelo as well because Lundkvist and Keane can step in and DeAngelo's value will never be higher. If Gorton can get a pick and Tuch, he has to make that deal.
Rranger
Posted 2019-12-31 7:27 AM (#730720 - in reply to #730716)

MVP

Skjei is a walking talking mistake prone dummy. What are you watching? At this point in time Lundqvist and Keane can't carry DeAngelo skates. Any watcher of Ranger games can see what DeAngelo is doing and knows you don't replace his contribution with a Lundqvist or Keane. As much as all want to see Keane and or Lundqvist shine, we also realize they have to get here, and do it. Lundqvist isn't getting here any sooner than Miller. But as usual your handing out jobs to whoever is lighting up your fantasy team. Skjei is not worth the money, still could turn into a worthless asset with much more inconsistency to his game, or ya he could go the other way and get consistently good, but not likely., And if your talking a choice of DeAngleo or Skjei its not even close. You keep the best player don't matter what side he plays. Skjei's money is better spent on DeAngelo. The clock is ticking on Skjei's contract trade restrictions kicking in, if another team thinks he is as good as you do then the return should be fabulous.
Rangerjunkie
Posted 2019-12-31 8:07 AM (#730721 - in reply to #730716)

MVP

DeAngelo > Skjei
ej17
Posted 2019-12-31 8:09 AM (#730722 - in reply to #730719)

All-Star

itsmcilrathtime - 2019-12-31 3:25 AM

That article was dumb. One, Skjei is playing well now.

Just a quick question , WTF Have you been watching
sureshore
Posted 2019-12-31 9:31 AM (#730724 - in reply to #730716)

All-Star

Skjei the new whipping boy on this site. Seems there is always a need to have one for so many on here.
Rranger
Posted 2019-12-31 10:00 AM (#730725 - in reply to #730724)

MVP

sureshore - 2019-12-31 8:31 AM

Skjei the new whipping boy on this site. Seems there is always a need to have one for so many on here.

The conversation is about keeping him. You often call every player criticized a whipping boy. The post questions whether he's worth keeping in a cap pinch, and based on his last season and this year is a legitimate question. It's about the cap world and distribution of $$. Sidetracked by silly people comparing junior players to a established player DeAngelo who is on the precipice of offensive stardom.
PV29
Posted 2019-12-31 10:35 AM (#730726 - in reply to #730725)

Scorer

Priorities. If Staal can be traded then you keep Skjei. But if Staal is not movable, then you trade Skjei for the right deal, which means either a physical defenseman or a 3rd line winger with size, of comparable age.

D'Angelo is gonna be tough to resign but you can't trade hi away unless the deal is a huge haul. The kid is playing at a near elite level and has some edge to his game on defense. You don't find a player like him very often, so it would be foolish to just let him walk away.
Fish
Posted 2019-12-31 11:34 AM (#730727 - in reply to #730726)

Publisher

PV29 - 2019-12-31 9:35 AM

D'Angelo is gonna be tough to resign but you can't trade hi away unless the deal is a huge haul. The kid is playing at a near elite level and has some edge to his game on defense. You don't find a player like him very often, so it would be foolish to just let him walk away.

To put DeAngelo's current scoring in perspective, he's performed about the same as Yandle did in his NYR tenure
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2019-12-31 11:50 AM (#730729 - in reply to #730716)

All-Star

DeAngelo sucks defensively. There is a reason this team lets up 35 to 40 shots a game and it's not because DeAngelo is a stud defensively. Essentially, he's Yandle with a bit better defense. Skjei has the size and speed to matchup against other teams best lines. When DeAngelo faces those lines he's pummeled. Fact. Our fan base still suffers from AV syndrome where they value points from defenseman more than keeping the puck out of the net. DeAngelo is history. I have no doubt he's gone at the deadline. As is Buchnevich. Eventually they will trade Skjei because of money but not before Rykov, Miller or Robertson is ready to replace him.
Rranger
Posted 2019-12-31 6:51 PM (#730733 - in reply to #730716)

MVP

You have just blamed DeAngelo single handed for the Rangers 35 to 40 shots against a night. That’s a whopper.
x10003q
Posted 2020-01-01 7:51 AM (#730745 - in reply to #730716)
Subject: RE: Skjei

MVP

There are so many options for the Rangers. I still think Kreider, Tony D, Fast and Georgiev will be traded. Buch and Strome are less likely to be traded. Getting rid of Staal or Smith will be difficult without being tied to another trade. I would not trade skjei unless there was a positive trade. I would not give him away to clear salary.

Sadly, the NHL has made money more important than talent. Odds are that Kreider will fade, but giving up on Tony D and Georgiev really sucks. Strome is another example. He seems to have figured out his game, yet he also might go. What nonsense.
Rranger
Posted 2020-01-01 8:31 AM (#730747 - in reply to #730716)

MVP

Gorton won't be giving Skjei away, some other GM will think he's better than he is. I agree its stupid to have to get rid of players to accommodate a cap designed to create parity, and a system where top teams not only have to have the necessary talent, it also has to it fit in a salary cap cycle allowing the team to keep all the pieces needed. Sometimes giving teams only a one or two year window before young players contracts expire and its payday for them. Gorton is between a rock and a hard place having to make long term choices on what he has and whats in the hopper. But its also entirely a team decision who they keep and options are available for him to dump a Staal with only next year left on his contract. He's not going to be nothing more than a nuisance blocking younger players. They have to find a way to move him before next season. i don't see Kreider back he's at that age a long term commitment will burn the Rangers 1/2 way through the contract. DeAngelo remains a choice Gorton has to make with many different ways to free up cash to keep him. Trading Smith would include another piece for basically nothing in return to make it work, and would free up enough cap to go a long ways towards a tweener contract for DeAngelo. The long way around the horn is Gorton can keep any player he really wants to but, he's still going to end up moving players he doesn't want to.

Edited by Rranger 2020-01-01 6:13 PM
Mjolnir
Posted 2020-01-01 11:23 AM (#730748 - in reply to #730745)
Subject: RE: Skjei

Legend

x10003q - 2020-01-01 9:51 AM

There are so many options for the Rangers. I still think Kreider, Tony D, Fast and Georgiev will be traded. Buch and Strome are less likely to be traded. Getting rid of Staal or Smith will be difficult without being tied to another trade. I would not trade skjei unless there was a positive trade. I would not give him away to clear salary.

Sadly, the NHL has made money more important than talent. Odds are that Kreider will fade, but giving up on Tony D and Georgiev really sucks. Strome is another example. He seems to have figured out his game, yet he also might go. What nonsense.

I seriously doubt Staal is going anywhere...besides the fact that DQ likes him the way AV like The Boil (a/k/a Dan Boyle), he also as a full NMC -- I think they bite the bullet and let him play out the contract (certainly better than buying him out and adding more dead space). I see Fast ending up in Philly with AV.
Rranger
Posted 2020-01-01 1:13 PM (#730749 - in reply to #730716)

MVP

They won’t buy him out, but if they don’t want him around, and need the cap there are ways to induce him to play his last year somewhere else. NMC’s just mean money talks.
sureshore
Posted 2020-01-02 1:38 PM (#730751 - in reply to #730725)

All-Star

Rranger - 2019-12-31 12:00 PM

sureshore - 2019-12-31 8:31 AM

The conversation is about keeping him. You often call every player criticized a whipping boy. The post questions whether he's worth keeping in a cap pinch, and based on his last season and this year is a legitimate question. It's about the cap world and distribution of $$. Sidetracked by silly people comparing junior players to a established player DeAngelo who is on the precipice of offensive stardom.

I do use the term "Whipping Boy", but certainly not for every player criticized on here. It's when the amount of criticism far outweighs any reason for such criticism that I'll use the term. Like all of our d-men, he makes some noticeable blunders, but I'd still argue he may be our most reliable defender this season. And yet he still contributes a decent amount of points despite not getting any man-advantage time this season.

Maybe it's that he's been here long enough, we feel more willing to take potshots at Skjei (as some do at Henrik in favor of Georgiev). I too refrain (mostly) from disparaging any young players (Kaako, Lindgren, Chytl, Fox, Lemieux, even Andersson when he was here). We all expect more from guys like Kreider, Buchnevich, Trouba, Fast and Strome. And when they don't perform up to expectations they deserve to be called out. Staal, McKegg, Haley, Smith are in a category of you get what you get, while Panarin and Zib are not even part of this discussion (at least not yet, because I know how fickle we can be).

The "whipping Boy" issue is with attaching negative qualities to a player over the course of his month, season, career based on a small subset or timeframe. We did it with others who maybe weren't all we hoped they'd be (Gaborik, Yandle, Nash among them). And I get that - a high price tag brings added expectations which is exactly why guys like D'Angelo or even Howden get free passes when these others wouldn't. We all have our favorites and non-favorites. But when the gang circles the wagon on a player who has played pretty damn good this season, I will always call it out.

end of rant
Rranger
Posted 2020-01-03 6:22 AM (#730791 - in reply to #730716)

MVP

I don't see a gang circling the wagons as in some conspiracy, but rather a bunch that disagree with your "played pretty damn good this season".
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2020-01-03 4:41 PM (#730792 - in reply to #730716)

All-Star

Skjei as usual started out crappy but he's playing well now. He also plays against all the top lines. Big difference than d men who don't.
Rranger
Posted 2020-01-03 6:04 PM (#730793 - in reply to #730716)

MVP

Yes he was great again last night. .

Edited by Rranger 2020-01-04 5:58 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)