Home Page
 OTG

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

It feels like the Rangers are getting better...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Rangers -> Winter Is ComingMessage format

Fish
Posted 2020-02-12 1:54 PM (#731811)
Subject: It feels like the Rangers are getting better...

Publisher

By better, I mean it feels like they are disrupting the offense of their opponents more, and are doing a better job in defensive scenarios. It's not dominating at this point, but the team looks more able to hang onto the puck and to break-up their opponent's plays. It also looks like they are doing a better job at keeping the puck in the offensive zone
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Steady Eddie
Posted 2020-02-12 3:02 PM (#731812 - in reply to #731811)
Subject: Re: It feels like the Rangers are getting better...

MVP

A few reasons why:
Panarin is making better players out of his line mates. I'm amazed at the improvement I see in Strome. I really believe Panarin's play has worn off on Strome. How about that play in the second period last night, where they went tape-to-tape on cross ice passes? It's like Strome is seeing the ice the way Panarin is. Fast too, though I wish they had someone with better offensive ability than Fast on that line.
Fox is our best defenseman. His defense creates offense, and he sees the ice as well as Panarin does.
Taking Smith out of the lineup is addition by subtraction.
Shesterkin is looking like an All Star. Why did they wait so long to bring him up? Better than Georgiev, but now that Georgy has 60 NHL games, he will have to clear waivers. I think a trade at this point is all we can hope for, just not sure what we can get for him.

van'70
Posted 2020-02-12 7:18 PM (#731813 - in reply to #731811)

Rookie

I think that the improvement is also due to alot of great chemistry growing.
I am in the minority regarding keeping Kreider.

robstones
Posted 2020-02-13 6:53 AM (#731814 - in reply to #731813)

Legend

Next stop is the deadline, which should yield a lineup core for next year and beyond.

I hope it ends up with Kreider getting the C, and the top 5 of 6 being

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Panarin ? Kakko
? Chytil ?
? ? ?

I would like to say have it be Chytil, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rangers look to get someone via trade this year, or during free agency.

I'm not really attached to anyone else.... except Lemieux.... He's great. Every team needs a guy like him, and he's definitely "that" guy. Can play up and down the lineup in an agitator role. Gotta love it.

Howden and Strome are good.... they can stay.... but imo just aren't a fit.... If they were part of a package, I wouldn't be mad.
rjpny75
Posted 2020-02-13 8:49 AM (#731815 - in reply to #731811)

Regular

I would absolutely love to keep Kreider, but for 7x7? How will that look in 3-5 years let alone years 6 and 7. I would only keep him if there is no NMC/NTC attached. Don't forget in 3-5 years we will have to start paying the kids. Zib is FA in a few years as well. If we decide to let him go, there is no more KZB line.

I would take the chance of dealing Kreider at the deadline hoping he may resign. Would need at least 1 NHL ready player in the trade. Just checked CapFriendly and there are hardly any UFA's 30 yrs old or younger that would be a good pick up, aside from Kreider.
PV29
Posted 2020-02-13 11:24 AM (#731816 - in reply to #731811)
Subject: RE: It feels like the Rangers are getting better...

Scorer

Fish - 2020-02-12 3:54 PM

By better, I mean it feels like they are disrupting the offense of their opponents more, and are doing a better job in defensive scenarios. It's not dominating at this point, but the team looks more able to hang onto the puck and to break-up their opponent's plays. It also looks like they are doing a better job at keeping the puck in the offensive zone

What??!! Impossible! Our coach is a moron, Ruff should be fired, and half the roster suuuuuucks.
(sorry, couldn't resist )

The starting defense pair on most nights are both rookies. Hard to believe. But that is the measurement of how far they have come this season.

With a young team there is going to be mistakes and inconsistency over the course of an 82 game schedule. But with each game they are learning and improving. Slowly, but definitely improving. Most observers of the game who are NOT Rangers fans admit that the Rangers are on the verge of being a very good team for 5 to 7 years. They are a few players and some more experience away from being a very solid team.
sureshore
Posted 2020-02-13 12:36 PM (#731818 - in reply to #731812)

All-Star

Steady Eddie - 2020-02-12 5:02 PM

Fox is our best defenseman. His defense creates offense, and he sees the ice as well as Panarin does.
Taking Smith out of the lineup is addition by subtraction.

I continue to be impressed by Fox as well. I have to think pretty far back to find a Ranger D man who defends 2 on 1s as well as Fox. I knew of his offensive upside when the Rangers signed him but his overall game is why if having to make a choice, I keep him over Tony D (and that's no knock on DeAngelo).

The other statement is a given. My only question is what took so long. Heck, even McKegg's got a couple of goals now that they've brought up DiGuiseppe and sat Smith. It's not like this is DiGuiseppe's first time in the NHL - he's actually got better stats than McKegg. And he and McKegg were teammates in Carolina in 2018-19, so maybe there's some comfortability in them playing together.
Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2020-02-13 2:06 PM (#731819 - in reply to #731811)

MVP

And it will take a step backwards if/when Kreider gets traded... Love him or hate him there is no replacing his production.
Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2020-02-13 2:21 PM (#731820 - in reply to #731811)

MVP

My report card:

Kreider B
Zibanijad B+
Buchnevich C
Panarin A
Chytil B-
Strome B
Fast C
Kakko C
Lemieux C
Howden C
DiGiusseppe C
McKegg C

Fox B+
Staal C-
Lindgren B
D'Angelo B
Skjiel D
Trouba B

Lundqvist F
Shesterkin A
Georgiev C

Coaches C-

I might be a bit generous on a few who are playing better than I expected.

Edited by Pierre_Pdare 2020-02-13 2:25 PM
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2020-02-13 2:31 PM (#731821 - in reply to #731811)

All-Star

5 games over .500 and way out of a playoff spot and people think we are getting better because of dumbass Quinn and Ruff. They have nothing to do with it. Good drafting and trades by Gorton and the scouts. When you acquire talented young players it's inevitable that eventually they will improve some. Even with coaches who suck. Shesterkin is the only reason this team is improving now and that has absolutely nothing to do with the coaching staff unless your initials are BA. Other than that, nothing has changed. A kid who makes 40 saves a game is in between the pipes now.
Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2020-02-13 2:53 PM (#731822 - in reply to #731811)

MVP

Quinn hasn't shown me much.... He is just a Captain Obvious kinda coach... In a loss "we played bad" in a win "we played good" He is tho, sitting Lundqvist whose skills have obviously diminished. He would look better on a better defensive team but he has let some stinky goals get past him this year (and last).

The shame of it all is that you would have to eat most of his salary to send him on as a backup somewhere else and he would have to approve it.

But he has been a great Ranger... Emphasis on the "has been"
PV29
Posted 2020-02-13 3:33 PM (#731823 - in reply to #731811)

Scorer

Quinn giving obvious statements in the post-game interviews has no relationship to what he does with the players in practice and before games. Feeding the NY media basic platitudes is something that many coaches have done here.

What we are seeing is a very young collection of players who are on the right trajectory. They are trending upward at a pace that is reasonable given their age and number of NHL games played. Drafting and trading for good players certainly helps, but their development cannot be completely separated from the coaching staff. Nobody saw Lindgren, drafted 49th, and Fox, drafted 66th, as a top pair, yet here they are starting and playing against the other team's top forwards. If anyone thinks that the team would develop like this under AV, you're nuts.

Two years into the rebuild and they are pushing for a playoff spot. 9 points out with two games in hand on Philly, with 27 games to play. If they fall short of the wild card it won't be by much.
Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2020-02-13 6:02 PM (#731826 - in reply to #731811)

MVP

Torts never talked in platitudes...I still like him and his tirades.... great show...
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2020-02-13 6:29 PM (#731848 - in reply to #731811)

All-Star

I would always tune in to those after the game intereviews, Must See TV!
LeetchyMrRanger
Posted 2020-02-13 6:44 PM (#731856 - in reply to #731811)

All-Star

The team is definitely improving. The team will need the young guns that are already on the team to contribute more offensively next season. The team has to play better defensively. Rangers always have good goaltending, not worried about this.

Edited by LeetchyMrRanger 2020-02-13 6:46 PM
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2020-02-14 3:02 AM (#731878 - in reply to #731811)

All-Star

AV is a an awful defensive coach. He tends to run teams into the ground after a couple of years. He will be out of Philly in 2 or 3 years. The Rangers have a superstar in Panarin thanks to JD. A star in Zibanejad thanks to Sather. Possibly a future superstar in Shesterkin thanks to the scouts. That's how you start to see improvement. Now they need a star or two on defense. I think Fox has that ability. DeAngelo is more one sided in his game. I said before that Lindgren is very similar to Girardi. He's starting to get good at blocking shots as well. I don't know if Quinn is the right guy to lead this team for a while. I favor the Pack that coach who wins with a team that has very little down there. Quinn will get his chance next year and his team better make the playoffs next season.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [35 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software