OTG Forums
 OTG

Search | Statistics Forums | Calendars | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Game 6: Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres 1/26/21 - 7pm, MSG2
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   OTG Forums -> First ImpressionsMessage format

LaFrenger
Posted 2021-01-28 8:28 AM (#773751 - in reply to #773750)
Subject: Re: Game 6: Rangers @ Buffalo Sabres 1/26/21 - 7pm, MSG2

Cap'nMess - 2021-01-28 5:55 AM

I think we tend to nitpick about DQ when the team comes out flat (which happens a lot). I don't think a coach is to blame for that. These are Professional athletes, they shouldn't have to be talked up before a game. So let's give DQ a pass there
We tend to nitpick when theres a too many men on the ice call against, we blame DQ, but every player should know his assignment. Again they're pro's. Let's give a pass there too.
Where I think we're right to criticize is the lack of development. I know players are young, but Howden, Kakko, don't look any better to me than they did day 1. This team also has no identity still and this is DQ"S third year, I do think the coach is the main person for setting the identity and culture of a team. We were told that this team was going to be "hard" to play against, well it's not even close to that. Which goes to the area of the system the Rangers play, again that is the coaches responsibility. I don't think DQ should be fired (YET) but I think he needs to show some results and pretty quickly.

I don't think he should be fired yet. This thing can be flipped in a hurry, and 10 games in is usually first look at ok where are we so far. But the watch rightfully should be on him. Players don't listen to me, ie. come out flat, to many men on the ice, is not a excuse for a coach. They practice line changes and its up to a coach and his assistants to be on the ball. I blame the assistant coaches on the line changes, they are the ones doing it. I tend to disagree on the players coming out flat not being on the coach. If not on him then who, the players only? Near the top of the coaches responsibilities list, is motivate the players. Its a tough gig but your the guy hired to get it done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cap'nMess
Posted 2021-01-28 1:01 PM (#773752 - in reply to #773649)

I think players coming out flat is on the players, and the internal leadership in the room. To say a coach has to fire up PRO'S just doesn't make sense to me. Most of the players make more money than the coach, that should be incentive enough to come out ready to compete.
Steady Eddie
Posted 2021-01-28 3:02 PM (#773753 - in reply to #773752)

Zib's been a dissapointment. Perhaps getting Covid and coming in late might have something to do with it. Shesty in 3 games is hardly a sample size. Johnson and TonyD worst with -4 & -5. Not surprised. Miller leads with a +6. Not surprised there. I think Miller has been our best player. Laffy needs to gain confidence. He's going to be great. 6 games out of 56? If they can play like the team they were last February for a few months, not ready to start looking at the lottery pick.
LaFrenger
Posted 2021-01-28 4:05 PM (#773756 - in reply to #773752)

Cap'nMess - 2021-01-28 12:01 PM

I think players coming out flat is on the players, and the internal leadership in the room. To say a coach has to fire up PRO'S just doesn't make sense to me. Most of the players make more money than the coach, that should be incentive enough to come out ready to compete.

You hit the nail to a point that being modern day players should motivate themselves. But not all do. Most still need a kick or two in the ass as the season goes on. But they still have to play their game at a acceptable level. . It’s almost human nature most workers in any endeavour don’t go out of their way to do any more than the minimum expected. Anyone that’s been around the game and knowledgeable fans shouldn't have any problem identifying who’s motivated and who isn’t. And it’s a unfortunate reality of modern day hockey that players and entire teams take nights off. And it’s getting more and more common. But it’s still on the coach to get them going. When he’s doing his exit interview I don’t think the “they always come out flat” excuse cuts it.
LaFrenger
Posted 2021-01-28 4:09 PM (#773758 - in reply to #773753)

Steady Eddie - 2021-01-28 2:02 PM

Zib's been a dissapointment. Perhaps getting Covid and coming in late might have something to do with it. Shesty in 3 games is hardly a sample size. Johnson and TonyD worst with -4 & -5. Not surprised. Miller leads with a +6. Not surprised there. I think Miller has been our best player. Laffy needs to gain confidence. He's going to be great. 6 games out of 56? If they can play like the team they were last February for a few months, not ready to start looking at the lottery pick.

The way they were playing in February last season is one of the confusing things about the start. They definitely had it going. And then crap the bed against Carolina and that’s the carry over for where they are at now. Oh well tonight’s another shot.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software