OTG Forums
 OTG

Search | Statistics Forums | Calendars | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I was right no captains on this roster
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   OTG Forums -> First ImpressionsMessage format

David Quinn
Posted 2021-10-11 9:14 AM (#781282)
Subject: I was right no captains on this roster

Let's give 1/3 of them A's because they're really nice guys.

https://www.markerzone.com/news/index.php?no=59440
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Fish
Posted 2021-10-11 9:44 AM (#781283 - in reply to #781282)
Subject: Re: I was right no captains on this roster

Publisher

Perhaps having a captain is unnecessary, but it does seem odd
David Quinn
Posted 2021-10-11 10:32 AM (#781284 - in reply to #781282)

A lot of cup winning teams don't have captains....
Cap'nMess
Posted 2021-10-11 10:41 AM (#781285 - in reply to #781282)

It's odd because we were told there would be a captain named by Galant and Drury.

Drury said he felt it was necessary.

6 alternate captains??? GAWSHH!!!!
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2021-10-11 10:45 AM (#781286 - in reply to #781282)
Subject: RE: I was right no captains on this roster

Maybe Gallant is waiting for Lafreniere to be old enough and break out enough to give it to him. Kreider is an inconsistent dope. Trouba sucked all pre-season. Panarin and Zibanejad aren't leaders. Lindgren maybe. I don't see one until Lafreniere matures. I'd love for them to send something like Kravtsov, Jones, Hajek and Cuylee for Brady Tkachuk, bring him here and I'd give him the C after about 40 games when it's clear he unlike Kreider and Trouba actually shows up every game.
Fish
Posted 2021-10-11 11:46 AM (#781290 - in reply to #781286)

Publisher

itsmcilrathtime - 2021-10-11 11:45 AM

Maybe Gallant is waiting for Lafreniere to be old enough and break out enough to give it to him. Kreider is an inconsistent dope. Trouba sucked all pre-season. Panarin and Zibanejad aren't leaders. Lindgren maybe. I don't see one until Lafreniere matures. I'd love for them to send something like Kravtsov, Jones, Hajek and Cuylee for Brady Tkachuk, bring him here and I'd give him the C after about 40 games when it's clear he unlike Kreider and Trouba actually shows up every game.

I was also wondering whether they might look at Fox...though neither of them were named alternates, so I guess we'll just have to wait longer.

As for Tkachuk, it makes no sense whatsoever for the following reasons:
1. The Rangers already have three left wingers for the top two lines in Lafreniere, Panarin and Kreider (who'll start on the right)
2. They don't have the cap space to accommodate Tkachuk's salary, beyond this season. They'd have to get Kreider to waive his NMC (or perhaps Trouba to waive his), and then play either Panarin or Tkachuk on the off-wing
Ranger_35
Posted 2021-10-11 3:29 PM (#781300 - in reply to #781282)

That‘s just pathetic. Six alternate captains is way too much. Although I have to say I would‘ve felt strange about almost every choice of captain I guess.
LaFrenger
Posted 2021-10-11 6:03 PM (#781303 - in reply to #781282)

The issue is no clear cut best choice. Support for three or four players. I can’t see it ever being Kreider, the guy just disappears for lengthy periods of time. Trouba runs a little to hot and cold also albeit without totally disappearing like Kreider.. I think if Zib roars out at the start and is lighting it up, maybe him by Christmas otherwise no one til next year, and that would likely be Fox if he has a good year again.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2021-10-12 3:42 AM (#781305 - in reply to #781282)

Tkachuk makes all the sense. One, he can play either wing with his style. Two, Kreider is out of here the second his moronic NMC turns to a limited NTC. Or he will be told to waive it by Drury or basically be a 4th line player. Three, Reeves is on a one year deal. Tkachuk is easily tough enough to stand up to a dope like Wilson. So, you don't need a goon with him around. Four, he's a legit, physical power forward which this team doesn't have. Kreider never hits anybody. Kakko is playing a power game but he's not physical. You win in the playoffs with players like Tkachuk. They can make salary cap space. You always can for a player you want. Doubtful Strome will be back. I don't see them committing to him long term. Georgiev won't be back after this season. Unless he has a fantastic year, Trouba is going to be told he's not making the team next year and will be replaced by Schneider. So he can either waive his idiotic NMC or sit in the stands. I don't think he will want to do that. Drury is not a pansy like Gorton. He won't show any mercy to Trouba if he feels Schneider is going to be a big upgrade to him. Trouba and Kreider are in for a bad off-season with the Rangers front office unless they have incredible years. The fact neither one was selected as captain is already a good sign that Gallant is not impressed with either of those assclowns. It will be interesting to see if Kreider is no longer on the first pp unit. That will be another sign he's out of here soon.
Fish
Posted 2021-10-12 3:38 PM (#781326 - in reply to #781305)

Publisher

itsmcilrathtime - 2021-10-12 4:42 AM

Tkachuk makes all the sense. One, he can play either wing with his style. Two, Kreider is out of here the second his moronic NMC turns to a limited NTC. Or he will be told to waive it by Drury or basically be a 4th line player. Three, Reeves is on a one year deal. Tkachuk is easily tough enough to stand up to a dope like Wilson. So, you don't need a goon with him around. Four, he's a legit, physical power forward which this team doesn't have. Kreider never hits anybody. Kakko is playing a power game but he's not physical. You win in the playoffs with players like Tkachuk. They can make salary cap space. You always can for a player you want. Doubtful Strome will be back. I don't see them committing to him long term. Georgiev won't be back after this season. Unless he has a fantastic year, Trouba is going to be told he's not making the team next year and will be replaced by Schneider. So he can either waive his idiotic NMC or sit in the stands. I don't think he will want to do that. Drury is not a pansy like Gorton. He won't show any mercy to Trouba if he feels Schneider is going to be a big upgrade to him. Trouba and Kreider are in for a bad off-season with the Rangers front office unless they have incredible years. The fact neither one was selected as captain is already a good sign that Gallant is not impressed with either of those assclowns. It will be interesting to see if Kreider is no longer on the first pp unit. That will be another sign he's out of here soon.

So next season, the Cap is expected to be flat at $81.5M.
They already have $59 tied up in 15 players (on the current roster), and a further $3.4M in dead cap space, for a total of around $61.4

So that leaves them $20.1M to do the following:
Sign Adam Fox
Sign Kaapo Kakko
Sign or replace Ryan Strome
Sign or replace Alexandre Georgiev
Sign or replace Sammy Blais

Assuming they let go Gauthier and Hajek

If Fox gets $9M and Kakko say $2.5, then you have $8.6M to get a backup netminder, a second line center and a couple of depth forwards and a depth d-man....and you've probably used up everything.

There's no way to accommodate Tkachuk and his say $8M...without getting rid of Kreider, and even then you'll probably have to make other moves, including settling for an under par second line center (either Chytil or someone else unproven)

The best scenario would be trading Kreider before the start of next season, but Kreider is in full control of that decision with his NMC going through to the end of 2023-24. Alternatively they could trade Trouba AND Lafreniere to make it work, again Trouba has control of that decision until the end of 2023-24.

Then after next season, you run the risk of getting into cap trouble with the likes of Kakko, Lafreniere, Miller, Schneider, Lundkvist etc, because now you have added yet another long term big contract.

Tkachuk as a concept makes some sense in terms of desired playing style, but in terms of value and making it work within the confines of the cap, doesn't make much sense for the Rangers, especially when they have Panarin, Lafreniere, Kakko already in the mix, and guys like Othmann and Cuylle potentially coming along.
Mjolnir
Posted 2021-10-13 3:19 AM (#781330 - in reply to #781326)

Fish - 2021-10-12 6:38 PM
itsmcilrathtime - 2021-10-12 4:42 AM Tkachuk makes all the sense. One, he can play either wing with his style. Two, Kreider is out of here the second his moronic NMC turns to a limited NTC. Or he will be told to waive it by Drury or basically be a 4th line player. Three, Reeves is on a one year deal. Tkachuk is easily tough enough to stand up to a dope like Wilson. So, you don't need a goon with him around. Four, he's a legit, physical power forward which this team doesn't have. Kreider never hits anybody. Kakko is playing a power game but he's not physical. You win in the playoffs with players like Tkachuk. They can make salary cap space. You always can for a player you want. Doubtful Strome will be back. I don't see them committing to him long term. Georgiev won't be back after this season. Unless he has a fantastic year, Trouba is going to be told he's not making the team next year and will be replaced by Schneider. So he can either waive his idiotic NMC or sit in the stands. I don't think he will want to do that. Drury is not a pansy like Gorton. He won't show any mercy to Trouba if he feels Schneider is going to be a big upgrade to him. Trouba and Kreider are in for a bad off-season with the Rangers front office unless they have incredible years. The fact neither one was selected as captain is already a good sign that Gallant is not impressed with either of those assclowns. It will be interesting to see if Kreider is no longer on the first pp unit. That will be another sign he's out of here soon.
So next season, the Cap is expected to be flat at $81.5M. They already have $59 tied up in 15 players (on the current roster), and a further $3.4M in dead cap space, for a total of around $61.4 So that leaves them $20.1M to do the following: Sign Adam Fox Sign Kaapo Kakko Sign or replace Ryan Strome Sign or replace Alexandre Georgiev Sign or replace Sammy Blais Assuming they let go Gauthier and Hajek If Fox gets $9M and Kakko say $2.5, then you have $8.6M to get a backup netminder, a second line center and a couple of depth forwards and a depth d-man....and you've probably used up everything. There's no way to accommodate Tkachuk and his say $8M...without getting rid of Kreider, and even then you'll probably have to make other moves, including settling for an under par second line center (either Chytil or someone else unproven) The best scenario would be trading Kreider before the start of next season, but Kreider is in full control of that decision with his NMC going through to the end of 2023-24. Alternatively they could trade Trouba AND Lafreniere to make it work, again Trouba has control of that decision until the end of 2023-24. Then after next season, you run the risk of getting into cap trouble with the likes of Kakko, Lafreniere, Miller, Schneider, Lundkvist etc, because now you have added yet another long term big contract. Tkachuk as a concept makes some sense in terms of desired playing style, but in terms of value and making it work within the confines of the cap, doesn't make much sense for the Rangers, especially when they have Panarin, Lafreniere, Kakko already in the mix, and guys like Othmann and Cuylle potentially coming along.

You're making way too much sense.

Fish
Posted 2022-03-27 5:26 PM (#788534 - in reply to #781282)

Publisher

Wondering if it's worth revisiting this....not sure that Zibanejad is the captain, but wondering if Kreider has earned it. I'd offer up Fox too, but not sure I want to burden him with that...
David Quinn
Posted 2022-03-28 6:17 PM (#788541 - in reply to #781282)

I don't see a captain on the roster. Closest thing is trouba. But he isn't the guy. This team needs someone to put foot to asses.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2022 PD9 Software