OTG Forums
 OTG

Search | Statistics Forums | Calendars | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Perfect example of why you lock up some players early.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   OTG Forums -> First ImpressionsMessage format

itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2021-10-15 12:58 PM (#781576)
Subject: Perfect example of why you lock up some players early.

If moron Gorton had locked up Fox to a 5 year extension after his first season when it was obvious he was a really good defenseman, it would have saved the organization a ton. McAvoy is a really good defenseman and he just got over 9 million a season. Fox is on another level. Now we are looking at 10+ million instead of about 4.5 to 5 million if dumbass Gorton locked him up after his impressive rookie season.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Fish
Posted 2021-10-15 1:00 PM (#781577 - in reply to #781576)
Subject: RE: Perfect example of why you lock up some players early.

Publisher

itsmcilrathtime - 2021-10-15 1:58 PM

If moron Gorton had locked up Fox to a 5 year extension after his first season when it was obvious he was a really good defenseman, it would have saved the organization a ton. McAvoy is a really good defenseman and he just got over 9 million a season. Fox is on another level. Now we are looking at 10+ million instead of about 4.5 to 5 million if dumbass Gorton locked him up after his impressive rookie season.

Pretty sure you can only sign a player to an extension in their final year of their contract. It was to prevent teams from circumventing the salary cap and length of contract limits. It used to be that you could only sign it after January 1st, but that was renegotiated at some point to the final year.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2021-10-15 4:37 PM (#781581 - in reply to #781576)
Subject: RE: Perfect example of why you lock up some players early.

Maybe. I thought that I saw teams do that. If that is the case, than the team was screwed regardless. Not sure why that would be a rule. I would think you could extend a player any time you want. I don't see the reasoning why you wouldn't be able to do that. I don't see how you could avoid the cap. If you give a player an extension, you are going to get hit with the cap no matter what. I thought it was the scumbag Devils with the Kovalchuk deal where they gave him that crazy long deal with less money per season but the contract went forever that the league had a problem with.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software