OTG Forums
 OTG

Search | Statistics Forums | Calendars | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Now it's JT Miller that the Rangers have looked into
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   OTG Forums -> First ImpressionsMessage format

Fish
Posted 2021-12-02 12:47 PM (#783586)
Subject: Now it's JT Miller that the Rangers have looked into

Publisher

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/seravalli-15-trade-targets-as-market-he...
7. J.T. Miller
Left Wing, Vancouver Canucks
Contract: 1 more season at $5.25 million AAV
Scoop: A number of teams have been circling around Miller (including one of his old teams, the New York Rangers) amid the Canucks’ disastrous season, although it seems as if GM Jim Benning does not have the full autonomy to make a core-altering trade at the moment. The truth is, the Canucks could use six more Millers, not have zero of them. He’s done just about everything Vancouver could’ve asked of him since his trade from Tampa Bay, with 141 points in 146 games in a Canucks uniform. It seemingly will be up to Benning’s successor to analyze Miller’s future fit – whether with one more year left, now is the time to maximize value, or keep him as a key building block.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2021-12-02 1:00 PM (#783589 - in reply to #783586)
Subject: Re: Now it's JT Miller that the Rangers have looked into

I always like JT but don't see how he fits......Do you play him as a wing on the 2nd line and have him available for faceoffs.  He is  better than anyone we got on faceoffs for sure....mid 50's %age faceoff guy... He might be a good problem to have tho

Fish
Posted 2021-12-02 1:19 PM (#783592 - in reply to #783586)

Publisher

This year, it really is going to depend on how well Kakko and Hunt continue to play. It's hard to imagine Hunt remaining on that line all year, but if the last few games aren't a fluke...then the Rangers have found themselves a pretty cheap option. On Kakko, he's starting to assert himself, and while he'll get a raise next season, he still has to prove he can continue to contribute over a season, and in the playoffs.

So if you're risk averse, and think the Rangers have a chance, then looking at Miller for the remainder of this year and through next year might give you some options. Conversely, will Miller get the same sort of ice time in New York as he is getting in Vancouver, or will he be relegated to the second PP unit and be more of a 50-60 point scorer. It's also hard to predict whether he'd gel with Panarin or not...so are you better off keeping Strome.

I like Miller's game, and I do think he has the potential to add to the team, but I think it's also not a perfect fit. Don't suppose the Canucks would be interested in trading Conor Garland...there's a guy who I would be intrigued to see in New York...he's signed for 4 more years after this one at $4.9M...but Vancouver would be crazy to move him.
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2021-12-02 2:42 PM (#783593 - in reply to #783586)
Subject: RE: Now it's JT Miller that the Rangers have looked into

The clown that wrote that is assuming Miller will re-sign in Vancouver. If the team sucks, why would he? Basically, in another year and a 60 more games they will lose him for nothing.
Fish
Posted 2022-01-18 9:13 AM (#785509 - in reply to #783586)

Publisher

Apparently the interest in Miller is continuing per Frank Seravalli. Miller has another year on him at $5.25M which is likely a little less than what the expected price would be to extend Strome. Though he'll be 30 at the end of his contract, and the Rangers will again need to find a replacement, or resign him.
LaFrenger
Posted 2022-01-19 6:40 AM (#785515 - in reply to #783589)

Pierre_Pdare - 2021-12-02 12:00 PM

I always like JT but don't see how he fits......Do you play him as a wing on the 2nd line and have him available for faceoffs.  He is  better than anyone we got on faceoffs for sure....mid 50's %age faceoff guy... He might be a good problem to have tho

I liked him to and hated the inclusion of him in the McDonagh trade basically because Vigneault never liked him. To bad because chewy was on his way out and it should have been him instead. 

Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2022-01-19 6:51 AM (#785516 - in reply to #785515)

LaFrenger - 2022-01-19 8:40 AM

I liked him to and hated the inclusion of him in the McDonagh trade basically because Vigneault never liked him. To bad because chewy was on his way out and it should have been him instead. 

Agree I don't recall him being stellar defensively but his game has sure come together... Problem is he is a UFA after next season and I don't know if we'll be able to afford him. But for this year and next he could fill a gap for sure... It would also allow Goodrow to go back to the 3rd line where he would standout.

LaFrenger
Posted 2022-01-19 10:08 AM (#785517 - in reply to #785516)

Pierre_Pdare - 2022-01-19 5:51 AM

LaFrenger - 2022-01-19 8:40 AM

Agree I don't recall him being stellar defensively but his game has sure come together... Problem is he is a UFA after next season and I don't know if we'll be able to afford him. But for this year and next he could fill a gap for sure... It would also allow Goodrow to go back to the 3rd line where he would standout.

As much as some would like to see a top six winger addition up front I don't think we will. I don't see Miller as the guy now. Chytil's play the last few games as a wing has been pretty good and he will have til the deadline to prove himself. The kid has the ability and physical attributes to be a power forward running over people. Fingers crossed he can continue his recent play with Panarin and Strome. 

Fish
Posted 2022-01-19 10:45 AM (#785518 - in reply to #783586)

Publisher

When I look at Miller, I think he might slot in as a winger this year, but then back to Center next year at the expense of Strome. Don't see how they keep both of those guys, though it's possible I guess, depending on what moves they make. It's true, it'll be difficult to afford him beyond the end of next year, and he'll be 30 by that point.
LaFrenger
Posted 2022-01-19 12:25 PM (#785520 - in reply to #785518)

Fish - 2022-01-19 9:45 AM When I look at Miller, I think he might slot in as a winger this year, but then back to Center next year at the expense of Strome. Don't see how they keep both of those guys, though it's possible I guess, depending on what moves they make. It's true, it'll be difficult to afford him beyond the end of next year, and he'll be 30 by that point.

Much better off investing in a excellent rental and wave goodbye at the end of the season. Plus would far rather have Strome than Miller going forward next year. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2022 PD9 Software