OTG Forums
 OTG

Search | Statistics Forums | Calendars | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thoughts on Jones
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   OTG Forums -> First ImpressionsMessage format

Fish
Posted 2022-01-03 9:21 PM (#785103)
Subject: Thoughts on Jones

Publisher

I don't see them playing Jones over Nemeth (when he gets healthy), at least not yet, but will be interesting if they decide to play him over Lundkvist. He's pretty confident with the puck, and it gives a bit of a different dimension to the Rangers on the third pair. He still reminds me a bit of DeAngelo in the way he handles the puck...not the strongest defensively yet, but wouldn't mind a longer look.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2022-01-04 7:45 AM (#785104 - in reply to #785103)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on Jones

Jones and Lundkvist are both just keeping the seat warm for Schneider and Robertson. I said from day one Hajek should have been playing over Nemeth who is below average.
LaFrenger
Posted 2022-01-04 12:58 PM (#785105 - in reply to #785103)
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Jones

I’m not sure Lunkvist will be around long. Fox and Trouba are going nowhere and Lunkvist is the polar opposite of what your looking for in a third pair guy. Better to hope he displays some upside warranting a trade for something of reasonably significant value. Another guy that will likely get moved is Miller. If he continues his present weak physical play his size becomes useless. I think a significant jump in his all round game is needed. Neither Robertson or Schneider project as anything less than a almost perfect second pair skill set after a brief break in. Jones has played well the last two games and has some admirable qualities most noteworthy the ability to play up and down the lineup and play both sides. That being said his size figures in. But paired with the right third pair big physical guy he becomes your go to PP guy after Fox. Drury has a lot of options will be interesting to see what he does.
Fish
Posted 2022-01-04 4:10 PM (#785106 - in reply to #785103)

Publisher

Yeah, Lundkvist looks like he'll have poise and be a pretty decent offensive minded defender when he gets some more time, but I don't see him challenging a guy like Fox, and he doesn't appear to have the defensive smarts that Fox has, but perhaps a slightly better shot...but not by much. Jones by contrast can play both sides, and provides a bit more utility if you include him in the line-up. I don't see both he and Lundkvist playing together though, because I think you give away too much size on the back end.

I think we're a long way from determining whether Robertson can replace Miller, he has been steady in Hartford, but not necessarily dominating...and while he might eventually get there, he's still got a lot to prove. Schneider on the right side is a bit ahead of him, and ideally he ends up replacing Trouba, but we're a couple of years and a lot of proof away from making that determination.

Ultimately you need to be able to keep bringing in younger players to help manage costs, and at this point, there are options which is a good thing.
LaFrenger
Posted 2022-01-05 8:26 AM (#785107 - in reply to #785106)

Fish - 2022-01-04 3:10 PM Yeah, Lundkvist looks like he'll have poise and be a pretty decent offensive minded defender when he gets some more time, but I don't see him challenging a guy like Fox, and he doesn't appear to have the defensive smarts that Fox has, but perhaps a slightly better shot...but not by much. Jones by contrast can play both sides, and provides a bit more utility if you include him in the line-up. I don't see both he and Lundkvist playing together though, because I think you give away too much size on the back end. I think we're a long way from determining whether Robertson can replace Miller, he has been steady in Hartford, but not necessarily dominating...and while he might eventually get there, he's still got a lot to prove. Schneider on the right side is a bit ahead of him, and ideally he ends up replacing Trouba, but we're a couple of years and a lot of proof away from making that determination. Ultimately you need to be able to keep bringing in younger players to help manage costs, and at this point, there are options which is a good thing.

Well Miller IMO hit a plateau shortly after he got to New York and I haven't see a ton of growth in his game. He still gets running around back there. He's played with Trouba since he got here, things might be a lot different for him on a third pair with Lunkvist and a Nemeth. When Robertson and Schneider get here they will have payed their dues and will be ready. I've seen Robertson live the Rangers got a first round pick in the second round, he was a fabulous pick. Will see when he gets here how he does, and he will get here probably same time as Schneider .

Jones could already replace Miller as the PP guy after Fox.  Miller is there because they have no one else. Both he and Trouba lack creativity. 

David Quinn
Posted 2022-01-05 9:53 AM (#785108 - in reply to #785103)

Jones has been fantastic. Even with his lack of size he is a better option than nemeth
itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2022-01-05 10:41 AM (#785109 - in reply to #785103)

Lundkvist will quickly flourish when he is dealt to another team and consistently gets top PP time. His shot is much better than Fox but Fox is a passing machine. No different than Lafreniere and Kakko where they would flourish a lot more with first PP time. Jones will also flourish on another team with first PP time. Unfortunately, they won't have that role on this team. If the GM of a ton of teams out there had any clue they would be looking to add Lundkvist or Jones. My guess is they probably hope the Rangers will get impatient an sell them off for cheap which won't happen. Especially since they don't make much money.
Fish
Posted 2022-01-05 2:47 PM (#785112 - in reply to #785103)

Publisher

Looks like it might be Jones again tomorrow in Vegas
Fish
Posted 2022-01-05 4:45 PM (#785113 - in reply to #785103)

Publisher

Also...

LaFrenger
Posted 2022-01-06 7:50 AM (#785114 - in reply to #785103)

I would not be surprised to see Lunkvist in Hartford and Jones taking his place after already showing he's a little more confident and advanced in his play at this point in time. He would also be an asset on the powerplay. It's no longer about what's best for Lunkvist's development it's about icing the Rangers best team to prepare for playoff's. That move, a possible replacement for Nemeth, and a top six winger, and the Rangers are right there knocking on the contender door.

ej17
Posted 2022-01-06 3:36 PM (#785116 - in reply to #785103)

He looks like hes wearing his Dads hockey jersey..
PV29
Posted 2022-01-08 9:30 AM (#785192 - in reply to #785103)

Jones and Hajek benched tonight. Tinordi and Lundkvist will be the third pair tonight.

“I have all the confidence in the world in him,” coach Gerard Gallant said of the 6-foot-6, 204-pound, 29-year-old Tinordi, who played five games for the AHL Wolf Pack from Dec. 12-23 on a conditioning assignment, then was struck by COVID-19 immediately upon his return to the Rangers on Dec. 27. “There’s nothing more than I’d like to see than Tinner be in our lineup every night, a big, strong guy who’s a physical presence.”

https://nypost.com/2022/01/08/jarred-tinordi-to-play-vs-ducks-amid-r...

Message sent. The defense was soft against Vegas, especially around the net. While I wouldn't blame Jones so much for that, Gallant obviously felt that a message needed to be sent. Fair or not, that is the life of third pair defensemen. You get yanked first when things go south. It would be interesting to see if Miller ever gets scratched for being too soft.

LaFrenger
Posted 2022-01-08 9:39 AM (#785193 - in reply to #785192)

PV29 - 2022-01-08 8:30 AM Jones and Hajek benched tonight. Tinordi and Lundkvist will be the third pair tonight.
“I have all the confidence in the world in him,” coach Gerard Gallant said of the 6-foot-6, 204-pound, 29-year-old Tinordi, who played five games for the AHL Wolf Pack from Dec. 12-23 on a conditioning assignment, then was struck by COVID-19 immediately upon his return to the Rangers on Dec. 27. “There’s nothing more than I’d like to see than Tinner be in our lineup every night, a big, strong guy who’s a physical presence.”
https://nypost.com/2022/01/08/jarred-tinordi-to-play-vs-ducks-amid-r... Message sent. The defense was soft against Vegas, especially around the net. While I wouldn't blame Jones so much for that, Gallant obviously felt that a message needed to be sent. Fair or not, that is the life of third pair defensemen. You get yanked first when things go south. It would be interesting to see if Miller ever gets scratched for being too soft.

I dont see Miller in any future plans. Lindgren, Fox, Schneider, Trouba, Jones and Robertson is probably not to far done the road, unless they bring a different type to replace Jones 

Fish
Posted 2022-02-02 4:26 PM (#786428 - in reply to #785103)

Publisher

After seeing Jones in a few more competitions, it looks like he might need a little more time. I don't see him necessarily making the same sort of mistakes that Lundkvist was making, but he is still working out the positioning side of his game. Would I take him over Nemeth, yeah I would...just not sure that Gallant sees it the same way
Steady Eddie
Posted 2022-02-03 4:58 AM (#786429 - in reply to #786428)

Fish - 2022-02-02 6:26 PM

After seeing Jones in a few more competitions, it looks like he might need a little more time. I don't see him necessarily making the same sort of mistakes that Lundkvist was making, but he is still working out the positioning side of his game. Would I take him over Nemeth, yeah I would...just not sure that Gallant sees it the same way

I think this team has proven to be a contender. Strome, Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Trouba and Shesty are all in their prime. We have the reigning Norris trophy winner. Kakko and Lafreniere should fill out the two vacant top 6 spots. The bottom 6 are deep. Top 4 defense solidified. Schneider is good, very good. That leaves the LD open on the bottom pair. If not Jones, who? Not Nemeth. Not Hajek. Who?

itsmcilrathtime
Posted 2022-02-03 5:01 AM (#786430 - in reply to #785103)

Playoffs are nasty and physical. Jones is small. So is Fox. Having two in the lineup is not a recipe for winning in the playoffs. Fox is enough. IMO, this is a showcase for a trade. Jones for another team would be a very nice addition.
Fish
Posted 2022-02-08 11:23 AM (#786437 - in reply to #785103)

Publisher

Yeah, the playoffs are more physical, but I don't have an issue with Jones if he plays better...not like Nemeth, Tinordi or Hajek are complete players. While Tinordi and Nemeth could probably absorb a bit more punishment, they cause other issues like getting that first pass out of the zone, positioning (as does Hajek) and reading the play.

I think ideally this is a position you could upgrade if you can find the right kind of fit for the last 20 games.
LaFrenger
Posted 2022-02-08 6:54 PM (#786441 - in reply to #785103)

Drury should be hunting a Mark Giardano type or a more physical type on defense and a Giroux, Hertl, Miller type up front. He’s got to take a swing.
Fish
Posted 2022-02-16 10:28 AM (#786576 - in reply to #785103)

Publisher

Jones practicing with Schneider again today...thought he had a good game against the Bruins, wouldn't be sad if he continues to play well and locks that spot down and relegates Nemeth to a depth role
LaFrenger
Posted 2022-02-17 5:59 AM (#786584 - in reply to #786576)

Fish - 2022-02-16 9:28 AM Jones practicing with Schneider again today...thought he had a good game against the Bruins, wouldn't be sad if he continues to play well and locks that spot down and relegates Nemeth to a depth role

I don't see Nemeth being a factor going forward. Drury is probably exploring all avenues to dump him. Hopefully after Drury has learned his valuable lesson about overpaying for a scrub borderline player.

Pierre_Pdare
Posted 2022-02-17 12:07 PM (#786585 - in reply to #785103)

So what about keeping them all...I don't think Nemeth has much value except as a backup/reserve so that is what you can get for him value wise. But if you get multiple injuries on defense then he may come in handy.

You never have too many D men
Fish
Posted 2022-02-17 2:56 PM (#786587 - in reply to #786585)

Publisher

Pierre_Pdare - 2022-02-17 1:07 PM

So what about keeping them all...I don't think Nemeth has much value except as a backup/reserve so that is what you can get for him value wise. But if you get multiple injuries on defense then he may come in handy.

You never have too many D men

Don't have to do it this season, but do think moving Nemeth's $2.5M contract would be helpful
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2022 PD9 Software