TRADE DEADLINE THRE...

Notifications
Clear all

TRADE DEADLINE THREAD: A look at some of the potential trade options

Page 4 / 11

Lafrenger
(@lafrenger)
NHL All Star

I'd like to know what right winger is out there that fits the need for the Rangers. Duclair, and even Vatrano who both play a light game don't cut it. The only name I've heard is Buchnevich but can the Rangers pony up, plus manipulate the cap for that caliber of player. And you start sticking Kakko in a trade of that magnitude your creating another hole. Its a lot easier said than done. Kreider and Zib also have to make it work with whoever plays with them. Like maybe simplify their game and Kreider start doing at least some of the dirty work. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2024 9:47 am
Doug Glatt
(@pierre_pdare)
Hall of Famer

Posted by: @lafrenger

I'd like to know what right winger is out there that fits the need for the Rangers. Duclair, and even Vatrano who both play a light game don't cut it. The only name I've heard is Buchnevich but can the Rangers pony up, plus manipulate the cap for that caliber of player. And you start sticking Kakko in a trade of that magnitude your creating another hole. Its a lot easier said than done. Kreider and Zib also have to make it work with whoever plays with them. Like maybe simplify their game and Kreider start doing at least some of the dirty work. 

I am not sure it matters much... After watching the Panthers closely these last few weeks I don't think the Rangers could get past them anyway. They are a hard hungry scary bunch that can play any style you want and if you are soft they will hammer you. It wasn't a fluke they got to the finals last year and they are better this year. I don't think you can trade Kakko now because of the Wheeler injury unless you have a plan to get 2 right wings and I am not sure the Rangers have what it takes to get anybody of substance that can make a difference. I am hearing that Jordan Eberle(upcoming UFA @33 YO) is avail and that the Krackheads might be willing to eat some of his $5.5M caphit. He's a good veteran player who has always given the Rangers fits. Zucc might be available but I fear that ship has sailed. And I don't think there is any magic in Hartford. I am not particularly enamored with anybody on the 3rd or 4th line with the exception of Cuylle who plays the game right and I would give Edstrom a chance because he is young and no worse than any of the washed up low priced vets who were in there.

And Tarasenko might be available as Ottawa isn't going anywhere 

This post was modified 2 months ago by Doug Glatt

If they need me to bleed, then I'll bleed for my team

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2024 1:45 pm
Lafrenger
(@lafrenger)
NHL All Star

There are a boatload of tough teams out there. The Stanley Cup playoffs are truly a marathon.  You will be playing a good team every round. But the Rangers are built for now, next year, maybe the year after, then major player transfusion time. Drury gets the big bucks and its on him to win. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2024 10:37 am
Doug Glatt
(@pierre_pdare)
Hall of Famer

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10109841-the-player-every-team-should-shop-at-the-2024-nhl-trade-deadline

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2024 4:38 pm
Fish
 Fish
(@fish)
Member Moderator

Rangers looking into Wennberg per Brooks

Rangers targeting Alex Wennberg ahead of NHL trade deadline (nypost.com)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/02/2024 6:36 pm
Lafrenger
(@lafrenger)
NHL All Star

Posted by: @fish

Wenneberg winners beget winning. Wenneberg does not pass that test. Wonder if Tyler Johnson has enough left in his tank to out do Johnny B?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2024 11:37 am
Fish
 Fish
(@fish)
Member Moderator

Posted by: @fish

Wenneberg winners beget winning. Wenneberg does not pass that test. Wonder if Tyler Johnson has enough left in his tank to out do Johnny B?

I like the way he looked when the Rangers played the Blackhawks, and am certainly intrigued.  He's on an expiring contract, so there's not that issue...though most of these guys we're looking at are on $4-5M contracts (Johnson is on a $5M), so that means you need salary retention, which increases the cost.

The trade acquisition cost of these marginal players this year is steep

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/02/2024 12:34 pm
Lafrenger
(@lafrenger)
NHL All Star

@fish 

Agreed steep cost by the looks of things, probably fueled by multiple buyers that think they can win. Foolhardy or not. And the more I watch Edstrom and Rempe's contributions I'm good with the fourth line as is. Middle of the pack guys don't cut it for me unless they bring something, Tyler Johnson Cup winner and Jordan Eberle clutch his entire life would be a couple. Other than that a Buchnevich, Geuntzel and or Gourde out of Seattle you bet. But better be wary of chemistry. The fourth line as is can flip a game with one shift, as they have shown multiple times already. Brodzynski always the assumed guy to be replaced has cachet with the coach who likes him and justifiably, he's a participant not a passenger every shift, and has demonstrated good chemistry with Kakko and Cuylle. In my mind most important needs are RW for Zib and tough D net clearer third pair. But beware removing Vesey from Zibs line because that fourth line will get broke up and Rempe the likely cut, and you lose what he has brought and is bringing to the team.  And last I checked because of Vesey or not, both Kreider and Zib are playing some of their best hockey of the season. Maybe they feed off that fourth line firing them up. Tough tough decisions for Drury and he has to nail this trade deadline thing. Thats what he gets paid for.

This post was modified 2 months ago by Lafrenger
ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2024 10:18 am
mjolnir
(@mjolnir)
Second Liner

Don't think Rangers should waste assets trying to find a winger for the Bromancers (especially midseason) -- they've shown many times that "they don't play well with others."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2024 12:53 pm
Lafrenger
(@lafrenger)
NHL All Star

Posted by: @mjolnir

Don't think Rangers should waste assets trying to find a winger for the Bromancers (especially midseason) -- they've shown many times that "they don't play well with others."

I would agree with that, stick with Vesey and can always play Kakko on both lines in different parts of games. And hope Othmann clicks in Hartford on RW.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2024 1:33 pm
-C-
 -C-
(@c)
NHL All Star

Worth kicking the tires on Vatrano as he has clicked with them previously.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2024 3:46 pm
McPhee reacted
Doug Glatt
(@pierre_pdare)
Hall of Famer

Vatrano has 1 more year @ $3.65 left on his contract... pretty good value.

I am interested in Tarasenko and Eberle who are UFA's after this season.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/02/2024 10:05 am
Lafrenger
(@lafrenger)
NHL All Star

I'd be happy with Mantha and Edmundson from Washington. Good depth physical guys and shouldn't break the asset bank. Mantha might even fit with Zib. No first round picks and Drury could make it work. Laviolette familiar with both.

Rangers also have to think about bringing in a forward that's going to bump someone, likely either Rempe or Edstrom. A lot of chemistry going on and it wouldn't be smart to upset it. Or someone is going to be sitting. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/02/2024 12:31 pm
(@rosie-larose)
Second Liner

I'd be happy with Mantha and Edmundson from Washington. Good depth physical guys and shouldn't break the asset bank. Mantha might even fit with Zib. No first round picks and Drury could make it work. Laviolette familiar with both.

Rangers also have to think about bringing in a forward that's going to bump someone, likely either Rempe or Edstrom. A lot of chemistry going on and it wouldn't be smart to upset it. Or someone is going to be sitting. 

I like where you’re going here. Never thought about Mantha…

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2024 8:28 pm
Lafrenger
(@lafrenger)
NHL All Star

Posted by: @rosie-larose

I like where you’re going here. Never thought about Mantha…

They will both be traded. UFA’s after the season. If you’re gonna compete with Florida you gotta have your ducks in a row. And even with the juiced up fourth line the Rangers still need more gritty players. Guys like Vatrano, Duclair ect will disappear against Florida. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2024 8:37 pm
Page 4 / 11
Share: