After three games, the Rangers are still looking for their first win and points of the season. It’s the first time they’ve gone winless in the first three games since 2011-12, and worst start to the year going back to 1998-99 when they lost their first four.
There must be something about October 7th / 8th, because this is the third time that the Rangers have given up eight goals or more in the last six seasons on these dates. The last time was just last year, when they lost by a similar 8-5 score to the Toronto Maple Leafs on the same date. Back in 2013 on October 8th, they lost to San Jose by a score of 9-2 in Alain Vigneault’s first season.
In their first three games, the Rangers have given up an empty net goal, it’s the first time this has happened in franchise history.
Other stats, facts and milestones:
- Cody McLeod became the 20th player dressed this season when he played the Sabres Saturday
- Alexandar Georgiev became the 21st player dressed this season when he started against Carolina on Sunday
- Tony DeAngelo became the 22nd player dressed this season when he dressed against Carolina Sunday
- Brett Howden became the 705th player to score a regular season goal for the NYR when he recorded the team’s lone goal against Buffalo. He became the 828th player to record a point. On Sunday he added his first career assist, the 784th player to record that mark
- Adam McQuaid assisted on Howden’s goal to become the 783rd player to record a regular season assist, and 829th player to record a point for the Rangers
- Mats Zuccarello played his 465th and 466th regular season games for the NYR, passing Anders Hedberg and Brad Park for 47th all time
- Chris Kreider scored two goals to break a tie with Sergei Nemchinov for 53rd all time. He now has 107 regular season goals, one behind Edgar Laprade on 108
- Kreider also picked up a penalty in each game to bring his total career penalty minutes to 332. That moved him by Steve Vickers into a tie with Chris Nilan for 64th all time
- Kevin Hayes picked up two assists to take his total to 103, passing Mike Allison and Buddy O’Connor for 88th all time. It moves his career point total to 176, moving past Mac Colville and Walt Podubbny to tie Michal Rozsival for 87th
- The Rangers scored their first power play goal of the season, and Tony DeAngelo picked up one of the assists. All seven of his power play points with New York have been assists
- Jesper Fast notched his 100th regular season point to become the 142nd Ranger to achieve that mark
- McQuaid became the 851st player to record regular season penalty minutes with the Rangers when he took a hooking penalty in the second period against the Sabres. Georgiev became the 852nd player with a tripping call in Sunday’s game
- The Rangers recorded the first goal of the game for the first time on Sunday, courtesy of Jimmy Vesey. It was the third time of his career that he’s scored the first goal of the game